ADVERTISEMENT

If Scott Drew is a desirable commodity and if Baylor sucks as a job, why is Scott Drew still at Baylor?

-This is one of several things that really bother me about the Drew possibility. Has any other school ever tried to hire him away? Also, if Baylor is such an awful school then you don’t go from Baylor to UK. You go from Baylor to somewhere like Ole Miss or Wake Forest or Stanford and then if that goes well you come to UK
-Next, I’ve read articles where media members or anonymous coaches were asked who they suspect runs a dirty program, but hasn’t been caught. Drew’s name is one of the first to come up.
-Next, next, you always…always, always, always keep public school and religion separate. I don’t see that happening with Drew. I’m a big proponent of keeping them separate, but even if not that, you’re asking for a lawsuit and A LOT of unnecessary and dramatic media attention
-Last, I think his success would be about the same as Tubby’s. I imagine if you mirror 15 years of Drew at Baylor with 15 years of Tubby at Georgia and Kentucky, the results will look about the same.

Calipari certainly didn’t keep politics and the team/ school separate 🤷🏽‍♂️

-This is one of several things that really bother me about the Drew possibility. Has any other school ever tried to hire him away? Also, if Baylor is such an awful school then you don’t go from Baylor to UK. You go from Baylor to somewhere like Ole Miss or Wake Forest or Stanford and then if that goes well you come to UK
-Next, I’ve read articles where media members or anonymous coaches were asked who they suspect runs a dirty program, but hasn’t been caught. Drew’s name is one of the first to come up.
-Next, next, you always…always, always, always keep public school and religion separate. I don’t see that happening with Drew. I’m a big proponent of keeping them separate, but even if not that, you’re asking for a lawsuit and A LOT of unnecessary and dramatic media attention
-Last, I think his success would be about the same as Tubby’s. I imagine if you mirror 15 years of Drew at Baylor with 15 years of Tubby at Georgia and Kentucky, the results will look about the same.

Also UL tried to hire him like 2 weeks ago.

Because Baylor is a private Baptist school. Scott Drew sees himself as a preacher first and a basketball coach second. That's incredibly easy to do at a private Baptist school, it's not so easy to do if you go to a place that only cares about winning. So other places have certainly called him, he just didn't want to leave.

"All that matters is when I get to those gates, God's not going to say 'What was your record?, How many players did you help get to the pros? How many championships did you win?' So at the end of the day I am making sure (the players) are winning the game of life."

"Everything we do around the program is Christ-centered. The great thing is we can prepare champions for life. And that's a spiritual, academic, and character formation in athletics. So for us to be able to incorporate the spiritual part has been so key and paramount to all our success and He's blessed us."

"Baylor University gives you that opportunity. Spiritually we're allowed to have an impact in our players' lives, so many of my coaching friends [that] are devout in their faith are at institutions where they can't...we will do coach's bible studies together and we start every meeting in prayer."
Crap.

At least the NBA is effing Basketball and something kids give a crap about.

Nothing wrong with being a person of faith but Jesus loves everybody so he ain't going to bring any wins and I doubt he is a recruiting advantage much either.

• Wow
Reactions: Catscratchfever8
Kentucky isn’t a up and comer job. I like golden but he needs to get 2-3 more years experience next. If Rick wasn’t 70 I would seriously be on board with bringing him back. After that beard is a POS person, smart is worse In The tourney than drew is, and after that I don’t know who Barnhart would even target
I disagree. You tell me our previous coaches were not up and comers? We have never hired a coach who had a previous NC. Once a coach wins one (most are only good for one and Drew doesn't seem like a 2 title coach) most loose that drive. Previous AD's knew that but Mitch needs a safe hire to finish until he retires. By that time BBN realizes that he is only good for the one title that he brought with him Mitch will be long gone.

Reactions: BlueSince92
I think Mitch has been burnt on up and comers and that option would never happen. Billy G was the hottest name in basketball and ended up being a flop. I don’t think Mitch is willing to take that risk. That’s why Drew is the perfect hire. He’s proven to have sustained success. We don’t have to win a title every year but we for sure like to be in the mix. Drew will keep us in the mix most years.
Billy G was a weirdo drunk that wasn't vetted very well. Wasn't he found through a search firm? I don't think he's a fair example to use.

I disagree. You tell me our previous coaches were not up and comers? We have never hired a coach who had a previous NC. Once a coach wins one (most are only good for one and Drew doesn't seem like a 2 title coach) most loose that drive. Previous AD's knew that but Mitch needs a safe hire to finish to he retires. By the time BBN realizes that he is only good for the one title that he brought with him Mitch will be long gone.
Calipari was already established, I wasn’t born yet in the 90s so I have no clue about those hires

Calipari certainly didn’t keep politics and the team/ school separate 🤷🏽‍♂️
I don’t know what political stuff was Cal driven, and what was player driven. That said, you do realize that playing the national anthem at sporting events is political in itself right? Also, what the other guy said, people threw a fit.

Both religion and politics need to be kept out of it. Personal guideposts don’t need to be part of the public sector.

I live in houston other Texas schools never wanted him. Crazy covid year withstanding. Baylor usually lost 10+ games and was out of the tourney in first or second round. His teams were physical and slow it down alot too. Once every 7 years it would seem like they were making a run but they would always dissapoint come tourney time. Except for covid year that is.

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
If Mitch wasnt his bible buddy he might be 5th or 6th on our list.
No Shit Sherlock GIF by Team Coco

It’s just what people are using to somehow shift from calling cal a bastard that ruined their lives due to the last few years final game… to wanting a guy that pretty much did the same thing/same results.

Baylor is a fine place to be and can win and win big. Hell they’ve come closer in football than our sec team. It’s a power five school in a big conference.. and is a private school in Texas. Acting like it’s Chattanooga or some crap is a defense mechanism.

Look I'm not like 200% in that Drew comes in and takes over college basketball or anything but I think this is something worth remembering:

Remember how far the UK brand had fallen by Billy's second year? We're in that ballpark now. Cal's unmatched recruiting mojo was still landing players but it was clear from Oakland's comments, UNCW, etc that the UK machine isn't feared anymore. Hurley would certainly make it feared on day 1. If he won't leave, who else can build a roster between now and August that brings the fear back into other teams like Wall and Cousins did? The best of the "maybe he can" names is Drew. He has Edgecomb in his back pocket, he has a relationship with JQ and he's proven he can be successful in the portal. If you wait on Donovan, he scrapes together an ok team and pulls the greatest x and o job in UK history maybe we go to the sweet 16, but then we're just another year further away from being feared. Next year doesn't have to be a title year, but it really needs to be "uh oh, Kentucky is the story again and what if this monster keeps growing?" Freddie always says "it's not personal, it's personnel. We don't have 3 years for an up and comer to build this thing back to the top of the mountain, we need a dude that can at least put us a few steps from the top by BBM.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
Uofl just tried hard to hire him for starters

And what jobs have been open that he would consider? And how much have you followed it? There's a lot he probably shot down with out much press. Go look back at jobs when there are openings...his name is usually always in the mix.

He was considered for Florida when Mike White left

Billy G was a weirdo drunk that wasn't vetted very well. Wasn't he found through a search firm? I don't think he's a fair example to use.
BGC was a hot name at the time. His drinking as I remember wasn’t known. He was similar to Golden (UF) at that time. Young guy winning with fire. Most were excited for him.

I think we dodged a bullet not getting him, but it's not because of the BS you spewed. I just don't think he is all that great of a coach.
As far as being dirty - that's possible but highly unlikely. The NCAA parked at that campus for 3-4 years and all they found on the WBB and MBB teams were too many text messages to recruits - something that the NCAA changed the following season. That and I think it was their WBB team that was doing it.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of the pope hire but I don't think drew would have been that great of a hire either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT