ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Edwards is not a top 5 recruit

He's averaging 10 a game. That's not a 3-star player. You have lost your mind.
In nearly 30mpg. He has taken 68 shots to score 82 points in 223 minutes of play.

Compare that with Thiero:

185 minutes, 56 points on 38 attempts.

So Edwards has taken 30 more shots than 3-star Thiero to score 2ppg more than Thiero. Not great.

You guys need to chill. I can see why Edwards was a top 10 dude. He's 6'8, has a decent shot, and can jump out of the gym. So in high school he probably just flat out murdered his opponents - most of whom aren't playing college ball or D3. Now he's playing real competion.

So he's not as good as though? He's still averaging 10 a game. Give a freshman some time to develop.
True to an extent.
JE was a top 5 guy and while not horrible not even close to what we seen from Brandon Miller last year.
From a body type and rankings standpoint, Miller is a fair comparison.

All Cal can do is land 6'7 athletes at SF who shoot bricks. Would be nice to land a legitimate SF. To hell with the 5 star rankings. Lottery pick my ass. I'll take a Darius Miller or Derek Willis who will stretch the floor and stick around 4 years.

And how did they look 8 games in…. Just curious.

You guys need to chill. I can see why Edwards was a top 10 dude. He's 6'8, has a decent shot, and can jump out of the gym. So in high school he probably just flat out murdered his opponents - most of whom aren't playing college ball or D3. Now he's playing real competion.

So he's not as good as though? He's still averaging 10 a game. Give a freshman some time to develop.

Edwards is the dragon getting more minutes. Should have rode the pine yesterday after bricking shot after shot. The substitutor has a short hook for most people unless they're one of his lottery picks.

Why focus on the players so much? He's a good basketball player with exceptional athleticism. He just needs a coach to develop and utilize him properly. They all do. And that's been the case for years.

slice it anyway you want, but there were plenty of minutes in which Edwards was on the court and Thiero was on the bench. This needs to be reversed. Thiero should have played 32 minutes, and Edwards 25.
I definitely agree with you, that he should've played more ... my point was that if we play bigs 25-30 minutes a game down the road, those minutes will come from the others.

I definitely agree with you, that he should've played more ... my point was that if we play bigs 25-30 minutes a game down the road, those minutes will come from the others.
Oh, gotcha.

I’ve been concerned with Cal playing Mitchell alongside the bigs. And he’s already done it right off the bat. I think Adou’s minutes will soon drop to 20pg or less, and that’s going to make it more challenging to win basketball games. 😫

Oh, gotcha.

I’ve been concerned with Cal playing Mitchell alongside the bigs. And he’s already done it right off the bat. I think Adou’s minutes will soon drop to 20pg or less, and that’s going to make it more challenging to win basketball games. 😫
Yes ... the whole thing will boil down to how good the bigs will actually be. Everyone thinks they will make a big difference, but there is no guarantee of it.
Will it end up being subtraction by addition ... I sure hope not ?? They simply have to be able to play !!

Edwards is the dragon getting more minutes. Should have rode the pine yesterday after bricking shot after shot. The substitutor has a short hook for most people unless they're one of his lottery picks.
Better than the Dragon but produces less than Livingston (at least he was a plus rebounder). Freshman SFs that are not plus shooters or drivers are not going to going to be major contributors to championship quality teams. Best hope is that one of the bigs emerges and play 3 guards like 2017 and 2019. Still time of course but I thought Edwards would be a great defender with his length and supposed motor.

Starting to wonder what this would look like:

Wagner (sub in Dilly if DJ is off)
Shepherd
Reeves
Thiero
Mitchell

You’ve still got three shooters out there, and you’ve got a 4 who can do everything Edwards does and more.
That's a lineup capable of making 15 threes but is a poor rebounding and defensive lineup.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
That's a lineup capable of making 15 threes but is a poor rebounding and defensive lineup.
I’m not really sure we have a lineup that would be good at rebounding and defending.

Reeves averages 32.5mpg and can’t defend. Mitchell averages 34.5mpg and can’t defend.

Thiero is a better defender and rebounder than Edwards so that’s why I’d go with this lineup.

I really don’t blame Edwards though
Not all highly ranked high school players transition well to college, especially their first year
That’s true for many players..it takes them a year or two to become solid contributors

But our fans, myself included, have bought into Calipari’s philosophy to an extent: if you’re not a John Wall, or Anthony Davis then the fan base calls you trash for not being a positive contributor immediately
Added to that the players EXPECT to be OAD thanks to the same philosophy . Really, because of his ranking, Edwards is being done a disservice here. Calipari is forcing that which Edwards is not ready for.

Just my opinion

Starting to wonder what this would look like:

Wagner (sub in Dilly if DJ is off)
Shepherd
Reeves
Thiero
Mitchell

You’ve still got three shooters out there, and you’ve got a 4 who can do everything Edwards does and more.
I like your lineup. I think it’s probably the best Unit at this point. Wagner, Sheppard, Reeves & Dillingham play most of the minutes at the 1 through 3 positions. If Hart can do more than shoot (which if you’re recruited to a program like UK, you should have at least shown the potential to actually play the game, and not just be a driveway shooter) he should be able to occasionally give you a few minutes sometimes when needed. Thiero and Edwards man the 4 (Burks helps out some), and probably provide some time in certain situations at SF. Mitchell & one of the 7 footers primarily handle the 5 spot, and again provide some time in certain situations at PF.

Forget irrelevant recruiting rankings, projected draft positions, and “talent” (we need guys playing based on current production, not future potential). Go with who gives the team the best chance to win in the moment. Minutes for the perceived more “talented” players can always increase as their skills, understanding of role, and impact on winning improve. And, by the way, I’m not saying Calipari isn’t also trying to figure out the best combination to play now and with an eye toward March. This is just my take on what I think is the best use of the players we have at this time.

Not all highly ranked high school players transition well to college, especially their first year
That’s true for many players..it takes them a year or two to become solid contributors

But our fans, myself included, have bought into Calipari’s philosophy to an extent: if you’re not a John Wall, or Anthony Davis then the fan base calls you trash for not being a positive contributor immediately
Added to that the players EXPECT to be OAD thanks to the same philosophy . Really, because of his ranking, Edwards is being done a disservice here. Calipari is forcing that which Edwards is not ready for.

Just my opinion
Excellent. Straightforward use of common sense and what our eyes have seen over and over across years of CBB to strip away the fallacy of UK fandom conventional wisdom.

Last edited:
SF the hardest position to gauge i feel like. You can overpower or out athlete a lot of high school guys just based on your size/skill, but once you get to college everyone is on that level physically. If he could shoot ~40% i could see it, but hes not even James Young at the moment.

Dilly averages more rebounds per 40 than Edwards.

The crux of our defensive issues will hardly be fixed by a single player, unless they are transcendent. We've been consistently mediocre on defense since 2019.

And how did they look 8 games in…. Just curious.
How much of an opportunity did the 3-star Forward Willis get 8 games in? Also, who was coaching Miller 8 games in? Stupid argument as usual from you. Trying to compare someone projected as a lottery pick coming into the season to a 4-star SF with Miller that started his career with the drunkard BCG but stuck around 4 years to win a National Championship and Willis a 3-star forward that stuck around the program and gave this team senior leadership that Edwards won't be around for. At this rate another fail and bail if he doesn't get his shit going soon. I expect more from #3 rated recruits and not living up to the rankings. It's still early enough for him to turn it around and have a decent season but so far there has been nothing that has impressed me from the #3 rated recruit.

I keep telling you guys the star system is total joke . its politics and who you play for and who you know .. Ask Reed Shepperd about rankings .
I agree with this. Without someone else rating these recruits, Calipari would have to evaluate the players himself so with the star-rating system, he always has an excuse if the player turns out to be a bust.

I know we are hurting from this loss though remember that post player that transferred from wake forest to play for UK? He was legit at Wake Forest and had good stats while there....now he transfers to UK and his stats got worse. Explain that.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Edwards has it all to prove and whether we see it all come together this season or not remains to be seen. Problem is with this broke ass system he still will bolt to the draft regardless how this year plays out and Kentucky will get nothing but the growing pains.

can't guard a stick!
dance party GIF by Hey Duggee

Odd that Cal would call him out like he did if he’s not planning on doing anything about it.

I would like to say something nice about Edwards. Prior to yesterday, he’s has been a good transition finisher, and he’s helped create and finish many fast breaks. I hope he figures it out.

Just my opinion
You are correct. Then, after a year that doesn’t lead to the NBA, so many view it as a failure. They leave since they are probably embarassed, impatient, and recruited over.

Reactions: Bkocats
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT