ADVERTISEMENT

John Welch on sophs Ugo and Thiero

"If they stay that second year"

Cal be like:

Surprised No Way GIF by Laff

For the first time in a bit we have a coach that is making our kids better everyday. Ive not seen it in awhile. This is good.

Reactions: Littlefeller
Great news but considering that's the only 2 returning players it doesn't elicit much confidence.
Now that I think of it, this type growth and improvement doesn't happen much during Cal's tenure.
Lamb
TJ
Wiltjer
Poythress
Aaron
Andrew
Richards
PJ
Quickley
Hagans
Ulis
Brooks
Wheeler
Toppin
WCS
Briscoe

All returned. That’s just off the top of my head. I’m sure there’s more.

Reactions: downthehatch
Have Welch concentrate on working with Shepherd, Burks, Hart (if he comes), Thiero, and Ugonna & Dillingham (if the staff believes they are willing to come back if not projected in the 1st round of the draft). Let the OADs wash on through a lost season and try to build something for the following year at least.

Lamb
TJ
Wiltjer
Poythress
Aaron
Andrew
Richards
PJ
Quickley
Hagans
Ulis
Brooks
Wheeler
Toppin
WCS
Briscoe

All returned. That’s just off the top of my head. I’m sure there’s more.

So you responded to his post….

“this type growth and improvement doesn't happen much during Cal's tenure.”

….by providing a list that includes Wheeler and Brooks?

Last edited:
KentuckyMBB's newest assistant coach, John Welch, already sees the transformation in Ugo and Adou.”

Damn he’s good. He just hired on 3 weeks ago.
He also mentioned how he followed closely with his son on the team/then staff so that's what he's referring to I am certain. Guys like Welch aren't hype men, they'll tell the truth, which is why player tend to get better when they work with him. He'll tell you what you need to do better and be there to help get you there.

But hey, he's no Ryan Lemond or whomever his "source" was that said Ugo can't hold up against a Student Manager--what would Welch know that Lemond wouldn't? Only has worked in NBA and has endorsements from some of the greatest minds the sport of basketball has ever seen.....that can't hold a candle to a guy who thinks it's cool to mock an African kid's name on air and can't spell KSR.

If we can just get more guys to stick around for year two, we will be more consistent.

Hopefully, we have Sheppard, Burks, and Hart stick around for year two next season.

And maybe a third year Thiero and Onyenso.

Get those five back.

Got to build some consistency and that’s the only way to do it.

The portal is not the answer. Those guys are supplemental pieces.

Got to have returning players.

Reactions: G-PIP
So you responded to his post….

“this type growth and improvement doesn't happen much during Cal's tenure.”

….by providing a list that includes Wheeler and Brooks?
jr Nick Richards is the only one that comes to mind as big improvement.

With the current 9, Theiro is easily our most physical presence on the floor. And that was before he got jacked-up this spring. So I think he is our backup 4. And since Bradshaw is the backup 5 also, there could be lots of minutes at the 4 for Theiro. But I do think we still add someone at the 4/5 spot

jr Nick Richards is the only one that comes to mind as big improvement.
Quickley, PJ and Ulis all did too.

Quickley from a 20mpg non-factor to SEC-POY
Ulis from very good backup to SEC-POY and DPOY and All-American
PJ from post guy who may not have been drafted even in 2nd round to much more all-around player and #12 draft pick

Reactions: G-PIP
If we can just get more guys to stick around for year two, we will be more consistent.

Hopefully, we have Sheppard, Burks, and Hart stick around for year two next season.

And maybe a third year Thiero and Onyenso.

Get those five back.

Got to build some consistency and that’s the only way to do it.

The portal is not the answer. Those guys are supplemental pieces.

Got to have returning players.
I agree. I also believe that a consistently contending team needs to build its core with returning players. But I think you are also usually going to need to supplement with 1 or 2 of the best transfer portal guys.

In the era of NIL and the one-time transfer rule the most immediately impactful players in college basketball are going to come from the portal, not high school. Upperclassmen are better shooters, better situational scorers, better defenders, and wiser basketball players.

Now, if you can’t get the best transfer portal players, then maybe you have to rely more on OAD freshmen. But that lowers your odds of winning.

I think a good plan would involve trying to bring in 4-5 freshmen per year, with no more than 1 or 2 (at the most) believed to be likely OAD. Build the starting unit with sophomores and juniors – but always on merit – supplemented by 1 or 2 pieces. And the most impactful supplemental pieces will likely be in the portal if you can recruit them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT