ADVERTISEMENT

Ugo got hurt

Wouldn't shock me if we saw a different starting lineup every game this week. Cal has done that almost every summer trip. I don't care what the starters are, it means little to nothing as to who's on the floor in crunch time and who can be "The Guy" when we need a bucket. I think this is supposed to be more serious than a summer exhibition trip, but still think it's just as much fact finding about the team as anything.

Reactions: jmw23712 and Ukgold
So we went from Matt saying he might miss the week and no timetable to Pilgrim saying no status update for tomorrow but that it doesn't look bad

LOL
Jones did not say "he might miss the week with no timetable". He said "no word on whether he will play the rest of the weekend." Two totally different things. There was in fact, no word at that point.

I think Adou has put the time in and deserves to start over Edwards. He’s starting his second year and knows the system. Worked hard and I’m sure Edwards gets it. I appreciate the loyalty here. Plenty of time for Edwards to work in and he’ll get plenty of time. Adou’s earned a chance. Not a big deal. Hard work should get rewarded.

You and @MdWIldcat55 are the best at this game.

Lose or have a guy go down with injury in a scrimmage?

"It was a scrimmage."

Lose in the Champion's Classic?

"It's early in the year."

Lose in December at home to an unranked team?

"We're not even in conference play yet. We're young. Give these guys time to come together."

Lose 6 to 8 games in the SEC?

"Enjoy the process. We're playing for March. We still have the SEC tournament and we don't have any true road games left."

Lose in the SEC Tournament?

"This tournament is meaningless anyway. The real tournament begins Thursday."

Lose in the NCAA Tournament?

"Well...you guys must have been miserable when we went from 1958 to 1996 with only one title in between those years."

Point out that six different programs have won multiple championships in the last 20 years and that winning multiple titles in a slim period of time is not just possible, but actually quite common amongst the elite programs?

"At least we aren't Indiana."
This is one of the most accurate posts I have ever seen on this board.

Bit of a Charlie Brown kicking the football deal for me here. Aside from obviously checking out the new additions to the team, Ugo was the one player I most wanted to evaluate this week to see what sort of progress he has made, if any. Expected him to get far more playing time than he ever saw last season when he showed some flashes of great potential. But yet again we are snakebitten with an early injury to a potential key player on the roster.

I think Ugo and Thierro starting, and it is just a scrimmage, are being rewarded for sticking around.

I think Saturday you'll see more of who we might see as starters early on in the season. Keep an eye on who finishes the games. It's more important.

I think the issue is that ugo of all people can’t miss time. He needs all the work he can get. Now we will have to play cals injury game with him and Bradshaw, maybe he will shock us and get an extra body in this rumored late rad transfer window.
Maybe it's far worse than being reported but if he landed on a foot/rolled an ankle....that happens. He was in the lineup and playing. So if this was considered their 1st game, he got some reps. This scrimmage was their "friendly" right before competition so they'll get 5 games and he was in one and if it's not too bad, maybe he plays Thursday or has to wait until Saturday. If it's any risk of further injury, you shut it down.

I think Adou has put the time in and deserves to start over Edwards. He’s starting his second year and knows the system. Worked hard and I’m sure Edwards gets it. I appreciate the loyalty here. Plenty of time for Edwards to work in and he’ll get plenty of time. Adou’s earned a chance. Not a big deal. Hard work should get rewarded.
There is no way Adou starts/or deserves to start over Edwards lol. It’s been said the actual starting lineup for the scrimmage included both of them. But..either way..Adou Thiero is not taking a starting spot from Justin Edwards

Reactions: flash123 and catben
Nobody’s sure of the extent. Could be nothing at all. See guys get helped off all the time and back in a few minutes later. KSR isn’t real reliable and do tend to sensationalize.

I’m sure Ugo got it treated and hopefully it responds well.

Reactions: thedahc
There is no way Adou starts/or deserves to start over Edwards lol. It’s been said the actual starting lineup for the scrimmage included both of them. But..either way..Adou Thiero is not taking a starting spot from Justin Edwards
It’s been said Adou has played better than Edwards. Better rebounder and better defensively so far. More experience in the program. Bigger and stronger. Certainly has earned a chance over a couple week player.
Edwards may catch him when the real season starts but I don’t have any problem with Theiro starting tomorrow. In fact I hope to see Adou in the starting lineup. Edwards will get plenty time. Earn that spot.

I think Ugo and Thierro starting, and it is just a scrimmage, are being rewarded for sticking around.

I think Saturday you'll see more of who we might see as starters early on in the season. Keep an eye on who finishes the games. It's more important.
By Saturday we might not have much of a choice, we might only have 5 guys.

I'm kidding… I think.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
can anybody explain why teams do not wear ankle braces? at least it appears no one has them on. when we played football, i know it is a different sport, we all had 'rocket socks' on. and when we played basketball we all had hi-tops on
may not prevent sprains but could sure lessen the severity
Back in the 80’s when I played we had to wear high tops no exceptions. Very few if any kids today do. I’m guessing they aren’t in fashion today

Reactions: jmw23712
We're the most injured D1 team over the last 15 years, and it's probably not even close. Duke is right there with us, I guess.

What's unbelievable to me, is that there are some D1 schools that have gone this same time span without a single long term injury.. just some scraps and tweaked ankles.

Reactions: RunninRichie
We're the most injured D1 team over the last 15 years, and it's probably not even close. Duke is right there with us, I guess.

What's unbelievable to me, is that there are some D1 schools that have gone this same time span without a single long term injury.. just some scraps and tweaked ankles.
Im not really arguing that but im sure us as fans are way more informed of our own injuries to were we might not even know of injuries that other teams get as they can go under the radar pretty easily. Like a rival fan that doesnt check our board probably doesnt even know Bradshaw or Ugo are injured.

🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: gharding07
this would be mature move by Edwards too imo. if this team can share and no one feelings get hurt. I like it I like it a lot

Reactions: Kybluedude
Perfect example why those of us asking for an additional big man be added. This is the reason…..right here. Now we’re down 2. Could be the same damn story when the regular season gets here. I’m not saying his ankle injury will linger that long. I‘m saying injuries and foul trouble happen.

Who would come here as a third big? Also, at what point in our history have we carried three 6'11 guys?

Injuries are frustrating....if Bradshaw wasn't coming back I'd completely agree but it is questionable who exactly it is that would sign to come here as an injury insurance backup.

Seems to me that Mitchell is the guy to fill the void because he is flexible.

You have to wonder what the heck the staff are doing. Multiple injuries every year for 10 years now. And don’t give me “every program has injuries.” Idk any school who has had a 10 year streak of injuries
It sure as shit doesn't happen as a result of overworking on anything because the team always plays the first good opponent on the schedule looking like it's never heard of an offense.

Goose was on hand and watched the scrimmage had some interesting things to say. Singled out the play of number 21 of course his old number and that the kid can take over a game at any time he wants. He also singled out the play of Thiero saying it will be hard to keep him off the court. He singled out the play of Reed in that he is so poised and that he does not appear to ever be rattled. The scrimmage was tongue in cheek to him because he said the African team was not in shape. he mentioned the score was 66 to 45. Said the UK team is so quick but what will have to be emphasized is rebounding. He did not mention the injury to ugo

Last edited:
Reactions: thedahc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT