ADVERTISEMENT

Ugo got hurt

Hate that we are having more injuries, but it's early. July injury should have no impact on the team for the season. May get one of these teams with a big bruiser who will make us miss Ugo, but small impact long term.

I was more interested to see UK play small anyways, so we will get more of that.

The starting lineup with Thiero/Edwards at the 3/4 is really interesting to me. Both a versatile players who could create serious match-up issues for the other team. And boy-oh-boy can that lineup run

Reactions: Seakat311
By Saturday we might not have much of a choice, we might only have 5 guys.

I'm kidding… I think.
Remember when UofL went through several season with the injury bug lol At least these games don't count except for some real experience. The nice thing about this team, that we haven't had in a long time, we have so many dudes that can play multiple positions. We're gonna be tough to guard. We'll see how the small ball works out with Mitchell at the 5. That really should be one dynamic offense with 5 out. If these guys can learn to play defense, it will be fun. I'm really not looking at wins or losses at the GJ but how are these guys meshing and adjusting to college style of play. Dilly gonna break some ankles.

Disagree that missing 4 games in Canada in July is going to turn the season anyway. I've noticed Welch brings him up anytime someone asks who looks good and I trust his take. Welch isn't into bull****. If someone doesn't look good there's ways to answer a question without bringing them up negatively or with false praise. He praised the guy immediately. So has Calipari. So have teammates.

Then again, I saw enough from Ugo last year to be confident he'd be a better player this year and help the team with his rim protection and like his talent. Know many think he sucks because he once played a game in November against a veteran Gonzaga frontcourt who made him and rest of team look bad.

The last thing you do is play him banged up. This is July. Don't turn a little thing into a serious one.
The wife and I LOVE Ugonna! Kid has so much potential, especially defensively. He’s a game changer on that end of the floor. I could most definitely see it in the early action last season. Natural born shot blocker.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Goose was on hand and watched the scrimmage had some interesting things to say. Singled out the play of number 21 of course his old number and that the kid can take over a game at any time he wants. He also singled out the play of Thiero saying it will be hard to keep him off the court. He singled out the play of Reed in that he is so poised and that he does not appear to ever be rattled. The scrimmage was tongue in cheek to him because he said the African team was not in shape. he mentioned the score was 66 to 45. Said the UK team is so quick but what will have to be emphasized is rebounding. He did not mention the injury to ugo
wow, 66 points against an out of shape team
that potent ccc offense is in high gear

I noticed a lot of people saying win or loose these games don't matter. I totally disagree. When representing your country these games have importance. The team is not there just for UK but the whole country. I bet those other teams take winning very seriously. I understand it doesn't affect NCAA standing. Maybe its just because I am an old man with some old beliefs, but that's how I see it.

how many minutes did the scrimmage go

i know you do nothing but troll
but you know PPG has never been a problem under Cal, just go look where UK ranked in the SEC and Nationally last year (P5 schools)

Reactions: thedahc and Cayts69
Who would come here as a third big? Also, at what point in our history have we carried three 6'11 guys?

Injuries are frustrating....if Bradshaw wasn't coming back I'd completely agree but it is questionable who exactly it is that would sign to come here as an injury insurance backup.

Seems to me that Mitchell is the guy to fill the void because he is flexible.
This is a bit different though. Bradshaw doesn't want to play the 5, so we only have 1 true 5. We really need another guy for that spot and my gut feeling is, Ugo really isn't ready to be a starter, so it shouldn't be hard to find a guy that wants to compete with Ugo for that starting spot.

Remember when UofL went through several season with the injury bug lol At least these games don't count except for some real experience. The nice thing about this team, that we haven't had in a long time, we have so many dudes that can play multiple positions. We're gonna be tough to guard. We'll see how the small ball works out with Mitchell at the 5. That really should be one dynamic offense with 5 out. If these guys can learn to play defense, it will be fun. I'm really not looking at wins or losses at the GJ but how are these guys meshing and adjusting to college style of play. Dilly gonna break some ankles.
My worry is, Cal STILL won't play a 5 out offense. I don't think he trusts it. I bet he keeps at least 1 guy in the paint and runs a post offense with Mitchell and whoever else he can think of.

I REALLY hope I'm wrong on this. It would be awesome to see UK modernize itself and run teams out of the gym by using an offense that is extremely hard to guard.

rage GIF

The wife and I LOVE Ugonna! Kid has so much potential, especially defensively. He’s a game changer on that end of the floor. I could most definitely see it in the early action last season. Natural born shot blocker.
The cornbread guy usually takes a pessimistic approach🤷

Did someone say they were out of shape. Isnt this the first scrimage the cats have played together as a team? You may easily be one of the most miserable posters on this site. I get having doubts and not having confidence in Cal but you always down play any positive

Did someone say they were out of shape. Isnt this the first scrimage the cats have played together as a team? You may easily be one of the most miserable posters on this site. I get having doubts and not having confidence in Cal but you always down play any positive

Before you judge the guy, read what he said. Africa was out of shape, tough crowd.

My worry is, Cal STILL won't play a 5 out offense. I don't think he trusts it. I bet he keeps at least 1 guy in the paint and runs a post offense with Mitchell and whoever else he can think of.

I REALLY hope I'm wrong on this. It would be awesome to see UK modernize itself and run teams out of the gym by using an offense that is extremely hard to guard.
Another worry would be he is just going to rely on guys being able to beat their man off the dribble instead of running stuff to get guys open. Mitchell and reeves can be great weapons if you run stuff to get them open. Wagner will beat his man off the dribble some but I fear cal will rely soley on that and like you said forcing somebody in the post, when this team should do the exact opposite. They should spread the floor and use the weapons they have that way

Jones did not say "he might miss the week with no timetable". He said "no word on whether he will play the rest of the weekend." Two totally different things. There was in fact, no word at that point.

Ok. I was just going by what was said in the original post here lol.

Another worry would be he is just going to rely on guys being able to beat their man off the dribble instead of running stuff to get guys open. Mitchell and reeves can be great weapons if you run stuff to get them open. Wagner will beat his man off the dribble some but I fear cal will rely soley on that and like you said forcing somebody in the post, when this team should do the exact opposite. They should spread the floor and use the weapons they have that way
The 2 things we described, are his normal offense. He either runs a post offense, where 4 guys stand around and watch a big grapple 2 defenders for position, then one of the 4 that are standing still, throws a telegraphed pass to the post guy.

The other is the dribble drive where the ball handler has to beat his man, with no ball screen action, THEN, he has to beat two more defenders on his way to the bucket, because the lane is clogged.

Three point shots are never in the script, those come off kick outs and scramble plays and that needs to change. When you have shooters like Reed and Reeves, you need to use those weapons. Rebounding is going to be an issue anyway, so you might as well take threes and give our guards a chance to rebound.

This is a bit different though. Bradshaw doesn't want to play the 5, so we only have 1 true 5. We really need another guy for that spot and my gut feeling is, Ugo really isn't ready to be a starter, so it shouldn't be hard to find a guy that wants to compete with Ugo for that starting spot.

Seems like Pilgrim still thinks a Cyril reclass is likely. Comparing it to Ugo last year.

It will be interesting to see how we play. According to a lot of the recent information everything Cal has been practicing looks totally different than what we have run in recent past. Sean Smith said we are running 5 out stuff. Involvement of Ugo has been handoffs to initiate offense. Not posting up back to basket and is primarily being used in dunk spot.

The reality is we have 5 guys over 6'8" and two of the biggest are hurt. We could use another big (now) but you might have a hard time convincing a grad transfer to come unless someone isn't coming back from injury. If we are playing 5 out and there is talk of Edwards and Thiero getting minutes at the 4 I think we are likely to see Ugo and Bradshaw both play the 5 spot. We will likely even see Mitchell there. A lot of interchangeable parts and versatility.

Reactions: kyjeff1

I think you're wrong, just watch. Mitchell is too good of a shooter to stay under the basket. And we have so many guys that can do good stuff off the dribble. Lots of driving, kick outs, lobs etc. We've been so one dimensional the past 2 years and that's changed. Too many weapons for a team to clog the lane on us. I'm pretty pumped to see how Burks comes a long. That kid is a shooter and has been underrated.

I think you're wrong, just watch. Mitchell is too good of a shooter to stay under the basket. And we have so many guys that can do good stuff off the dribble. Lots of driving, kick outs, lobs etc. We've been so one dimensional the past 2 years and that's changed. Too many weapons for a team to clog the lane on us. I'm pretty pumped to see how Burks comes a long. That kid is a shooter and has been underrated.
I truly hope you're right and my suspicions and fears are wrong. I mean that.

In my opinion, for Cal not to do everything he can to secure the services of another big man would be equal to coaching malpractice.

The 2 things we described, are his normal offense. He either runs a post offense, where 4 guys stand around and watch a big grapple 2 defenders for position, then one of the 4 that are standing still, throws a telegraphed pass to the post guy.

The other is the dribble drive where the ball handler has to beat his man, with no ball screen action, THEN, he has to beat two more defenders on his way to the bucket, because the lane is clogged.

Three point shots are never in the script, those come off kick outs and scramble plays and that needs to change. When you have shooters like Reed and Reeves, you need to use those weapons. Rebounding is going to be an issue anyway, so you might as well take threes and give our guards a chance to rebound.
"Three point shots are never in the script" We run plays like the ones below all the time and in EVERY GAME and yes, these are set plays.

Look at the plays and tell me you still don't think they are set plays.

Blinded by your hate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT