ADVERTISEMENT

John Wall in Italy

Bummer wall just never came to the right organization + injuries & etc.
Nah …it had nothing to do with “the right organization.” Instead, it had to do with injuries zapping his once ultra-special level of explosiveness and never developing the shooting skills that might’ve helped him compensate for it.

When his legs started to lose their magic he started to look like just another of countless other poor-shooting PG prospects.

He wasn't that bad from 3, he had a lot of seasons where he was 33-34% from 3.

He just got stuck on the worst team in the NBA with the least amount of fans. The owner doesn't want to put together a title team, he just wants 1 star on the team to sell seats.

If he could have shot the 3 like Curry with his speed he would have been considered one of the best to ever have played the game.
He was fast, sure, but what captured everyone's imagination was his recklessness. We had relatives come in from California for Christmas that year. In the months ahead of their arrival, whenever we talked to them, they always asked, "Can we get tickets to see John Wall?"

Why is he wanting to play overseas? Surely he doesn't need the money.
He's still only 32, that's rather young to be planting the final flag on your career. I hear retirement can get boring, gotta do something with you days, so doing what you've always done best in a cool country like Italy seems like a good option to me.

And if it doesn't work out ...hey, so what? Like you said, it ain't like he needs the money.

He's still only 32, that's rather young to be planting the final flag on your career. I hear retirement can get boring, gotta do something with you days, so doing what you've always done best in a cool country like Italy seems like a good option to me.

And if it doesn't work out ...hey, so what? Like you said, it ain't like he needs the money.

There’s certainly a lot worse things to do with your time than getting high 6 figures to play ball on the mediterranean.

There’s certainly a lot worse things to do with your time than getting high 6 figures to play ball on the mediterranean.
The last 3 years he was paid around 80 million after taxes to mostly stare at his shoe laces. Wall is probably the most fortunate player in the history of basketball from a financial perspective.

The last 3 years he was paid around 80 million after taxes to mostly stare at his shoe laces. Wall is probably the most fortunate player in the history of basketball from a financial perspective.
Wasn’t his fault. He wanted to play. Houston wanted to tank. He is 100 percent good enough to still be in the NBA, add Boogie to that too.

Also: I don’t see Wall going anywhere overseas unless it’s for vacation. He has way too much cash to do that.

Textbook case of what happens to a career when the person doesn't evolve to fit the modern game + is always getting injured.

You can always take a flyer on a guy with an injury history if they fit the modern game because you can just plug and play, but there's really no justifying both because you're not going to change the way your team plays to accommodate them.

Can’t shoot - flash only gets you so far - he did damn well financially considering he ain’t got a consistent jumper

one of my all time favs. and somehow being the #1 hs recruit, 1st team aa (i think), #1 draft pick and 5 time all star he is somehow underrated.
hella fast

Reactions: jmw23712
Wall had a good NBA career. Without injuries it might of been great. He was a five time all star and ended up like eighth all time in assist average. That's a pretty good career.

Reactions: GGary and jmw23712
He's got nothing to be embarrassed about. Had a good run, couple of tough injuries.

Now about those Italian Chicks. Maybe one season just to make sure he still got game? LOL

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Maybe Murray? Did he play in Italy?
I was being sarcastic...I really don't care where John Wall was or is...My old man came out in me so I just picked Stan. It is pretty remarkable when you look at some of records for guards at UK and find him in some categories. Matt Jones was reading off some list of stats one day and read off mostly recent players in a certain category and on that list was Stan. Matt said his name and then said "I don't know who that is."

Actually Stan has retired from running very successfully the UK Alumni Association for many years so I imagine he retired in Lexington and not Hazel or even Murray, Cherry, or Tobacco in Calloway County. He gave it 100% for UK and his teammates. Coach Rupp loved him. It was an honor and privilege for Stan to play for the name on the front of the jersey.

Reactions: JC CATS
I was being sarcastic...I really don't care where John Wall was or is...My old man came out in me so I just picked Stan. It is pretty remarkable when you look at some of records for guards at UK and find him in some categories. Matt Jones was reading off some list of stats one day and read off mostly recent players in a certain category and on that list was Stan. Matt said his name and then said "I don't know who that is."

Actually Stan has retired from running very successfully the UK Alumni Association for many years so I imagine he retired in Lexington and not Hazel or even Murray, Cherry, or Tobacco in Calloway County. He gave it 100% for UK and his teammates. Coach Rupp loved him. It was an honor and privilege for Stan to play for the name on the front of the jersey.
He was way before my time, but he's still the all-time leading scorer for boy's basketball from my high school, Calloway County.

He was way before my time, but he's still the all-time leading scorer for boy's basketball from my high school, Calloway County.
He was very good and under appreciated. He and Kent Hollenbeck tried to help Terry Mills and Jimmy Dinwiddie make up for loss of Mike Casey.

Stan and Hollenbeck were part of a great freshman team that included Tom Parker, Mark Soderberg, Randy Knoll, and Jimmy Jarrell. Stan and Parker had solid careers, Hollenbeck never realized his potential greatness because he broke his foot multiple times, and Soderberg and Knoll left after their sophomore year to Utah and Marshall respectively. Jimmy Jarrell left after his freshman year and went back to WVa and WVU. If they stayed together and healthy they could have been special.

Didn't Cawood refer to Stan as " the redhead from Hazel"?

Didn't Cawood refer to Stan as " the redhead from Hazel"?
I remember him calling him from time to time the redhead from Hazel but I don’t remember the reliable part. However, reliable fit stand very well. It’s a good thing Couch Rupp’s was the person, deciding that Stan could play a Kentucky as opposed to the current coach, who would have probably never given him the opportunity.

I remember him calling him from time to time the redhead from Hazel but I don’t remember the reliable part. However, reliable fit stand very well. It’s a good thing Couch Rupp’s was the person, deciding that Stan could play a Kentucky as opposed to the current coach, who would have probably never given him the opportunity.
To be fair, the talent in the 60's in the state was miles above what it is now. Back then you had Jeff Mullins, Wes Unseld, Butch Beard, Clem Haskins, Dave Cowens, Jim McDaniels, etc. You know more guys than I do from that era. I was just an itch in my da-...you understand what I am saying.

If you look at the Mr. Basketballs since Calipari got here, the ones that didn't go to UK ended up finishing their careers at either a Mid-Major, Division II, UL(Quentin Snyder), or legal trouble.

Have there been some guys that fell through the cracks without being recruited by UK? Sure, but that's not something new that started with the current staff. Off the top of my head: Dan Langhi, Shelvin Mack, Greg Buckner, David Cowens, and Chris Lofton.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT