ADVERTISEMENT

When cal did the interview/podcast with John Wall

Dec 5, 2007
Lexington
He said he was going to tell some guys they need another year. Couple that with this monumental failure AGAIN, is there any world where he not only discourages guys like Wagner, Shepherd, Z, Edwards and Bradshaw from leaving, but actually tries to convince them to stay?

The flip side of that argument is he has said repeatedly and even recently that he will never do a 2015 platoon type thing again or want another roster that deep.

I think guys would decommit if everyone comes back. The bottom line is he’s probably telling these guys to move on so he can make room for the next group of talented but young freshmen. Once again he will complain that we’re young, it takes time, etc.

I would not want Cal back even if every player returned and every recruit still came. I still think he’d still find a way to F it up.

He said he was going to tell some guys they need another year. Couple that with this monumental failure AGAIN, is there any world where he not only discourages guys like Wagner, Shepherd, Z, Edwards and Bradshaw from leaving, but actually tries to convince them to stay?

The flip side of that argument is he has said repeatedly and even recently that he will never do a 2015 platoon type thing again or want another roster that deep.

I think guys would decommit if everyone comes back. The bottom line is he’s probably telling these guys to move on so he can make room for the next group of talented but young freshmen. Once again he will complain that we’re young, it takes time, etc.

I would not want Cal back even if every player returned and every recruit still came. I still think he’d still find a way to F it up.
I put this in another thread but the guy this screams to me is DJ. He’s by far the youngest of our guys, doesn’t need the money, and can’t imagine he’s in a rush to start a G League career.

He’s 18. Rob just a few months older but now 19. Reed turns 20 this summer. Justin is already 20! Bradshaw(transfer) turns 20 in May. Z turns 21 this summer.

Point being DJ and Rob are comfortably the youngest freshmen of note on the team. Rob is obviously gone but I could see DJ and his family wanting another year for him to mature and get ready for a potential pro career.

Not saying it happens or that anyone should care given the Cal uncertainty but I could see a world DJ returns. While he definitely disappointed, I think that would make him the highest ranked recruit to ever return to UK.

There is no one he’s kicking off the roster to make room for THESE freshmen.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Only way could possibly convince BBN he's changed is if Z, Sheppard, Edwards, Wagner, Thiero, and Bradshaw come back.

Even with that, BBN would know what awaits next spring. Another loss in the first weekend. Cal is toast.
I’d have to say if the entire damned team returned and Cal was still the coach, it would be wildly hard to not pay attention. And as much as I’d want Cal gone, I’d be curious to see how that would work out. Not advocating keeping Cal because of the team returning, but man I’d love to see that happen (although most likely we’d see the same old March…).

If he could talk some of these guys to come back, he might buy himself another couple years...He has to realize like Jay Wright said you can't win with all
super freshmen!!

I’d have to say if the entire damned team returned and Cal was still the coach, it would be wildly hard to not pay attention. And as much as I’d want Cal gone, I’d be curious to see how that would work out. Not advocating keeping Cal because of the team returning, but man I’d love to see that happen (although most likely we’d see the same old March…).
Cal said "some" of these guys would return, but we know that when he's said that historically, it almost always means that we're losing 90% of the roster, with only the 8th, 9th, and 10th men returning.

We're going to be really bad next year, especially when Cal lets the elite portal transfers go elsewhere while he's waiting for the inevitable draft decisions with guys like Wagner, Edwards, and Sheppard.

Cal said "some" of these guys would return, but we know that when he's said that historically, it almost always means that we're losing 90% of the roster, with only the 8th, 9th, and 10th men returning.

We're going to be really bad next year, especially when Cal lets the elite portal transfers go elsewhere while he's waiting for the inevitable draft decisions with guys like Wagner, Edwards, and Sheppard.
No doubt that is what the clown is going to do. Nothing he does is UK-first. Nothing. He'll wait until the portal is dried up and sign whatever kud he thinks will generate the most hype from the most gullible fanbase on the planet.

Just my opinion, but I doubt Cal would want Reed to come back. It would be hard to have to deal with “our favorite player” again all season. Too much to handle for old Cal. He wants to start his boys with no questioning from the peanut gallery.

He didn’t platoon this year, but he did play way too many guys.

Once it became clear who Gabe is the best chance to win, it should’ve been:

Reed, Dilly, Reeves, Thiero, Z as many minutes as possible, then DJ, Edwards, and a big as needed. 8 deep. Like virtually every other team in the country and even some NBA teams. Mitchell and Bradshaw should’ve been glued to the bench for this tournament.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Edwards, Wagner and Sheppard as sophomores would give Kentucky something it hasnt seen in a long time.

The problem with this is they have already been recruited over.

Something to add, let’s be honest, the problem this year was not a lack of talent by any means or a lack of depth. It was lack of experience and most of all lack of coaching. Only 5 guys can be out there at any given time. He has proven he doesn’t play the right guys in the right spots. What he should do in the hypothetical scenario that a bunch return and with next year’s class added is PRESS for 40 minutes and absolutely wear teams down. But we all know he won’t change.

Reactions: Fox2monk
So he was admitting that he might become a hypocrite to make himself look better? Interesting tactic.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I put this in another thread but the guy this screams to me is DJ. He’s by far the youngest of our guys, doesn’t need the money, and can’t imagine he’s in a rush to start a G League career.

He’s 18. Rob just a few months older but now 19. Reed turns 20 this summer. Justin is already 20! Bradshaw(transfer) turns 20 in May. Z turns 21 this summer.

Point being DJ and Rob are comfortably the youngest freshmen of note on the team. Rob is obviously gone but I could see DJ and his family wanting another year for him to mature and get ready for a potential pro career.

Not saying it happens or that anyone should care given the Cal uncertainty but I could see a world DJ returns. While he definitely disappointed, I think that would make him the highest ranked recruit to ever return to UK.

There is no one he’s kicking off the roster to make room for THESE freshmen.
Good analysis on the age. I think a sophomore Edwards could be an All-American, but it’s hard to see that happening with him being basically 22 after next season.

Convince Wagner to come back?

Where is he going!? UL?

There are prob 100 D1 players out there to take before a team takes Wagner or Edwards. Latest mock on nbadraft neither are even listed anymore.

I'm so damn tired of Calipari and his roster building. I don't even care who comes back nor who leaves. But I do hope Wagner is not welcomed back. Because we know what it will be all summer. ''WAGNER HAS IMPROVED HE CANT MISS IN PRACTICE, AND HE'S SCHOOLING EVERYBODY''. Then season comes, he sucks, and Cal will ride him for already mentioned reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT