ADVERTISEMENT

I wanted Cal gone as much or more than anyone, but

Dec 5, 2007
Lexington
I’m sitting here with my 18 year old and his best friend. They’re talking about all they’ve ever known is the Cal era (they were about 3 when he got hired). Crazy to me.

I pulled up Cal’s introductory press conference, madness 09 speech, John wall highlights, etc. and it just all came rushing back how amazing those first few years were.

Then I see Ellen’s farewell video and I honestly teared up.

It’s time for a separation. I’ve been so mad and frustrated with Cal for years. But those early years were just incredible. The excitement, the prestige.

I look at it all now though as a whole as, just missed opportunities. Failure to capitalize with ALL. THAT. TALENT. I just wish he would have been more willing to adapt, to strategize, to scout teams, because peak Calipari/UK was so special.

It’s a shame it all went downhill.

And Now you HAVE to get the right hire.

Not sure how Ellen cooks but amazing to me how you can put on that much weight. He definitely was not stressing. Four years too long he stayed. Will remember those first several years when Cal is in a wheelchair rolled out to do the ‘Y’ in 15 years. Hope he’s able to shed a few pounds with his metal hip.

I’m sitting here with my 18 year old and his best friend. They’re talking about all they’ve ever known is the Cal era (they were about 3 when he got hired). Crazy to me.

I pulled up Cal’s introductory press conference, madness 09 speech, John wall highlights, etc. and it just all came rushing back how amazing those first few years were.

It’s time for a separation. I’ve been so mad and frustrated with Cal for years. But those early years were just incredible. The excitement, the prestige.

I look at it all now though as a whole as, just missed opportunities. Failure to capitalize with ALL. THAT. TALENT. I just wish he would have been more willing to adapt, to strategize, to scout teams, because peak Calipari/UK was so special.

Drew would be a solid hire

Cal had it all in his hands and he let his pride/ego blow it up. 20 years from now looking back I can only imagine the what could have been conversations that people will still be having.

1st Pitino, then Cal. World full of regrets for those two.

Last edited:
I get it. I've been through six UK coaches now. 96, 97, and 98 were the greatest runs in my UK memory. When Pitino left I was just bummed and though the greatness was over. The next year Tubby hung number seven. Then there was 2003, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, and 17.

The Cal era is over, but the memories will always be there. Now you get to make more great memories.

I can agree.
I was ready for Cal to leave.
BUT… that doesn’t take away all that he brought that was good and the good memories.
I also wish he kept that killer drive.

If we're being honest, you have to admit we took some blows that badly hurt our record and championship numbers. Kanter not being cleared, then losing by 1 in the final 4, for a chance to play Butler in the final!? We win that with Kanter. The Rooferee robbery. The obviously expired shot clock against Wisconsin? That kind of stuff will break you. Perhaps, wrongly, change your focus to making pros instead of winning championships. Seemed like the deck was stacked a good bit of the time. Not good excuses, few are. But realities faced by the program. We had the talent to overcome, and should have.

Not sure how Ellen cooks but amazing to me how you can put on that much weight. He definitely was not stressing. Four years too long he stayed. Will remember those first several years when Cal is in a wheelchair rolled out to do the ‘Y’ in 15 years. Hope he’s able to shed a few pounds with his metal hip.
Us older dudes can put on a LOT of weight in 15 years.

• Haha
Reactions: Lost In FL

Ditching cal for drew will feel like ditching an ok wife for a fat chick

So he should have left after having the 8th ranked team going into the tournament in 2020? You people have very short memories. 2 straight elite eights before that, one last second shot and one overtime that prevented 2 more final fours.

Reactions: UKgal82
He was so close so many times just could never get that last piece of the puzzle. Except once thank you Cal
I was at that 2012 regional final against Indiana and it was a hostile environment in the Omni and I was sweating it out but it was great night.
The 2009 SECT final against Miss State was amazing to watch live and made for a great 5 hour drive home with my dad.
That 2014-2015 team and season was something.
The man brought in some talent.

What could have been with just a little bit of help or luck. Unfortunately I think he exhausted that getting to where he was.

Now that it is over my eyes are clearer and can see what he did right and not focus on some glaring issues and disappointment.

Anyways Thanks, You gave me some magical moments.

You as a fan im sure did everything you could. I wanted nothing more than to have Tubby and Cal win second titles. Things happened out of our control and we liked both men in different ways. But at Kentucky going without a final four for nearly a decade won’t work. Next man up.

Reactions: Lost In FL
When he was hired, Patterson said he was staying, and I saw a John Wall highlight video I was super excited.

… Except once thank you Cal. I was at that 2012 regional final against Indiana and it was a hostile environment…and I was sweating it out but it was great night.…
Anyways Thanks, You gave me some magical moments.
I was there, too, and have so many good memories of that game! The annoying “Hoosiers” chants quickly became “Loosiers” chants by us victorious UK fans in our section 😀

Reactions: Lazlo7
Ditching cal for drew will feel like ditching an ok wife for a fat chick
We did not ditch the man. Your athletic director despite what many fans or boosters may have wanted stuck by him. Cal chose this path himself. We were all moving forward to next season.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Ok it’s like wishing away an attractive wife for a fat chick
Cal made the wish reality himself after a meeting about the direction of the program and a 30 minute interview with Mitch. We showed we wanted him, he hit the bricks and showed he was done here.

Kentucky basketball was literally on top of the word from 09-2015 by every metric... Sad it had to end like this but it was time. Doesn't change the fact that 09-2015 was one of the all time runs in the history of the sport even with 1 championship. 4 final 4s multiple championship game appearances those were excellent times the issue is that over the last 5 years we haven't been anywhere close to that.

Like in marriage if you get a nice partner who treats you good buys all the shiny things for 5-6 years then all of a sudden the thing falls apart because the stuff that wowed them beforehand gets taken for granted and stops. Not only was Cal like that but in his narcissistic tendencies he acted like he was above the program when results started slipping it was time for a divorce. No I'll will twords Cal but we are fortunate that he was here, but should also be glad he's gone.

I

agree with you 100%. Being in school 96-2001 was absolutely insane and so much fun. 96 is still too 5 team ever, 97 what's should have been, and 98 maybe my favorite team ever. Comeback Cats.
But as a fan Cal came in and reenergized us after the bcg shitshow and gave me my all time favorite sports moment, sitting 23 rows back on Foul line watching Davis and company rip the Kansas hearts out. What a glorious night in the quarter that was with 15,000 blue maniacs partying all night. And the first 5/7 years were absolutely magical.
As you said a couple breaks, some bad reffing, and some bad coaching cost us a chance in those years.
But it is/was time. Time to move on. He never changed. Got angry. Refused to think about a different way. Turned more into the used car salesmen(maybe he always was). It was more about proving his way was right and being stubborn more so than caring about doing his job and winning. It's a shame.
Time to move on and I'm am glad. The last 5 years have been rough.
Hoping for any coach but Drew, but it's looking that way. I'll get my blue glasss back on and hope we can turn this page and get to a better place.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
32 and I've been through Pitino, Tubby, BCG and Calipari.

Majority of my life it's been Coach Cal - appreciate all of his contribution to the program through 2015 was an unreal ride full of wonder and hope to chase UCLA.

Didn't pan out like we all expected it was suppose to be the perfect marriage. But like all perfect marriages the truth is behind the curtains.

I'm ready for my next chapter of UK basketball.

We wouldn’t be in this predicament if Cal would’ve had Adou face guard Jack Gohlke the whole game. You know…the Adou that only played 7 minutes?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT