ADVERTISEMENT

Filipowski

There are many reasons to be glad that Calipari is gone, so hold your fire. But I never faulted him for telling guys to go to the NBA when the iron is hot -- because of stories like this. This kid probably cost himself more money than I've made in 40 years -- and I'm fairly well paid these days -- just to come back and flop around at Duke another year. Being able to take care of generations of your family financially is too important to risk. (And yeah, I know that he won't exactly be homeless. But he cost himself several million dollars, and that is no joke.)

Drafts are so crazy. Teams need what they need and the days of picking the best available are not totally over but after the first 10 picks they are over.

did he get drafted? I mean, did he fall in the draft or just go undrafted? I'm sorry I don't follow the NBA or the draft at all.

did he get drafted? I mean, did he fall in the draft or just go undrafted? I'm sorry I don't follow the NBA or the draft at all.

Undrafted in the 1st round. No guaranteed contract unless he gets a 2-way deal or something. I'm of the age now where I'll never laugh at a kid for not fulfilling their dreams. Unless said kid is a total d-bag.

I just looked on ESPN.com, and it looks like last night was just the 1st round. So I assume the 2nd round is tonight.
So he isn't "undrafted", he just hasn't been drafted yet. I can't imagine he won't be drafted, unless his agent starts telling teams to not draft him.

Reactions: Rockfly78
There are many reasons to be glad that Calipari is gone, so hold your fire. But I never faulted him for telling guys to go to the NBA when the iron is hot -- because of stories like this. This kid probably cost himself more money than I've made in 40 years -- and I'm fairly well paid these days -- just to come back and flop around at Duke another year. Being able to take care of generations of your family financially is too important to risk. (And yeah, I know that he won't exactly be homeless. But he cost himself several million dollars, and that is no joke.)
I think he was a fringe first rounder last year, so while he might have cost himself some money, there was no guarantee he was getitng a decent pick last year.

Reactions: Catcatcatcat
LMAO. Convinced to come back by Scheyer and K and probably told they could turn him from a fringe lottery pick to a Top-5 selection.

Instead, they turn a lottery pick in 2023 into a 2nd rounder in 2024.

Scheyer has been a decent disappointment so far.

They got pretty fortunate with their run this year that Houston's best player got hurt 5 minutes into the game, otherwise that was going to be a romp.

4 seed followed by a 5 seed, and tanking players draft stock.

You hate to see it.

Just like I wouldn’t want my kid playing for Calipari because of one direction, I wouldn’t want them playing for Duke for the other direction. Just stupid to continue to come back in flips case. There’s a medium here that I pope finds. Don’t run run them off because you want to be seen as a saint and recruit the next crop of players. Don’t throw them out to have your recruiting angle. But don’t hurt your recruiting by talking them into returning so much it kills their draft stock.

The coaches job is to the university the players have handlers and parents for their projected pathway. Let it be what it is when it’s time for them to potentially leave make your case for returning, encourage their goals if they indeed want to go, don’t push them out if they aren’t quite ready or they can improve.

It’s really not that hard flip needed to go last year but Duke is the antithesis of Cal and went stupid in the other direction. I’m telling these kids playing at Duke is stupid there’s just no reason to risk it and play for that program.

Last edited:
Just like I wouldn’t want my kid playing for Calipari because of one direction, I wouldn’t want them playing for Duke for the other direction. Just stupid to continue to come back in flips case. There’s a medium here that I pope finds. Don’t run run them off because you want to be seen as a saint and recruit the next crop of players. Don’t throw them out to have your recruiting angle. But don’t hurt your recruiting by talking them into returning so much it kills their draft stock.

The coaches job is to the university the players have handlers and parents for their projected pathway. Let it be what it is when it’s time for them to potentially leave make your case for returning, encourage their goals if they indeed want to go, don’t push them out if they aren’t quite ready or they can improve.

It’s really not that hard flip needed to go last year but Duke is the antithesis of Cal and went stupid in the other direction. I’m telling these kids playing at Duke is stupid there’s just no reason to risk it and play for that program.
Great post. This illustrates just how far out of the scope of the position Cal was operating in at UK. He completed perverted the job of "coach".

Reactions: Killswitch24
i have never found fault in a young man leaving after one year to make more money in 3 years then most people would make in 3-4 lifetimes

I just looked on ESPN.com, and it looks like last night was just the 1st round. So I assume the 2nd round is tonight.
So he isn't "undrafted", he just hasn't been drafted yet. I can't imagine he won't be drafted, unless his agent starts telling teams to not draft him.
4pm, I think

2nd round is at 4:00 today I believe

I thought this feller was paralyzed after that court storming incident??
Happy Festivus GIF by MOODMAN

He made a massive amount of NIL and wanted to play for a national title. Isn’t that what college sports fans should want their guys to do?
Or is it just when it doesn’t fit your teams narrative?

And we're saying it was a terrible decision by his part Duke's part. Almost everyone here KNEW that Reed had to go to the draft because he was seen as a high lottery pick, and that's even considering the fact that Reed was a legacy player who wasn't ranked too high.. so it would make at least a LITTLE bit of sense if he wanted another year.

Flip has zero ties to Duke. The decision to come back made no sense, and it for sure wasn't to "win a title" lol. He just cost himself probably 20 million in draft day money, and gave up another 30 mil wasting an entire year of his prime. Hope it was worth it, but more importantly, I really hope future recruits take notice.

And we're saying it was a terrible decision by his part Duke's part. Almost everyone here KNEW that Reed had to go to the draft because he was seen as a high lottery pick, and that's even considering the fact that Reed was a legacy player who wasn't ranked too high.. so it would make at least a LITTLE bit of sense if he wanted another year.

Flip has zero ties to Duke. The decision to come back made no sense, and it for sure wasn't to "win a title" lol. He just cost himself probably 20 million in draft day money, and gave up another 30 mil wasting an entire year of his prime. Hope it was worth it, but more importantly, I really hope future recruits take notice.
Future recruits won’t take notice. Duke has dominated recruiting since 2015 and the train isn’t stopping. They have had countless guys not pan out during that time, didn’t matter.

Remember when “once K leaves Duke won’t get the top guys.” I remember.

Future recruits won’t take notice. Duke has dominated recruiting since 2015 and the train isn’t stopping. They have had countless guys not pan out during that time, didn’t matter.

Remember when “once K leaves Duke won’t get the top guys.” I remember.

And how has it been working out for them since the start of the 2015 season? I'd make the argument that no one aside from Duke and Calipari are even really trying to 1AD talent these days. Sure, any team will take a top5 guy.. but coaches don't seem keen to court a 5-star player for months of even years, just to have to fork over $2mil and only have him for a year.

Go back to the Duke board. We know you're obsessed with what Kentucky fans think of Duke, doesn't mean we want you here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT