ADVERTISEMENT

John Clay: UK still unable to compete against SEC big boys

I don’t see what’s so hard to understand...until uk football benefits from the bagmen, you will continue to see beat downs like today.

John Clay should know this...

Reactions: Elijah55
What happened today that would make anyone think that we are competitive with the upper half of the league?

Reactions: Elijah55
Only one team has been able to keep up with Georgia this year. I fully expect them to give Bama a good game. No shame in losing to GA .

And we should have beaten them last year. But it's gonna take a few more years before we're beating top 10 teams at their place.

Kentucky is about middle of the pack in the SEC right now. Compared to where we were just a couple years ago, that's tremendous progress.

Finished 3rd in the east and beat the 2nd place team.

But it's painfully obvious we need a QB that can throw the ball accurately. Our raining game is great but when teams are able to slow it down we have no shot because our QB is not a great passer. He's won a lot of games for us but he was never a 250/300 yard passer. That's what we need to take next step, along with more depth that can be fresh in the 2nd half against the run.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
We aren't yet ready to compete against the big boys of the SEC. But at least we are now competitive with the mid-tier teams, which is certainly an improvement over where we have been for most of our history. Baby steps people. You gotta take things a bite at a time.

Quote of the day:

“We need to step it up and play a lot better,” Stoops said Saturday.
What would you prefer?

"We suck and we might as well just face it, and give up?".

Come on, man, you're better than that. You and I both know that every coach says something similar when ass is kicked. It's called "coachspeak".

Thankfully, we only had to play one of the SEC big boys this year.
Exactly. And we still dropped 4 SEC games.

The other poster above is correct in saying we've only just reached middling status in the SEC by maintaining a .500 record for consecutive years for the first time in ages. No reason at all to expect UK to compete with the SEC elite. We're progressing in that direction, but to call UK what it is - which is a team that is improved but just isn't up to top SEC echelon status (along with 9-10 other SEC schools) - is perfectly within reason for a sports journalist... even a hack like Clay.

I"m a Stoops guy. I don't disagree with the article.

Reactions: UKUGA
Only one team has been able to keep up with Georgia this year. I fully expect them to give Bama a good game. No shame in losing to GA .

And we should have beaten them last year. But it's gonna take a few more years before we're beating top 10 teams at their place.

Kentucky is about middle of the pack in the SEC right now. Compared to where we were just a couple years ago, that's tremendous progress.

But it's painfully obvious we need a QB that can throw the ball accurately. Our raining game is great but when teams are able to slow it down we have no shot because our QB is not a great passer. He's won a lot of games for us but he was never a 250/300 yard passer. That's what we need to take next step, along with more depth that can be fresh in the 2nd half against the run.

Yes we're a little better but....years ago we have been saying, in a few years we will compete with upper SEC teams. Do you really think 3-4-5 years from now, we will be a top SEC team? We have fans that's waited 60-70 years.

Yeah, maybe not. But we're winning more than our share of the middle of the pack.

"But nonsense about more"

The SEC is a tough conference to build in. Harder still when your program history is bottom of the conference. And yet harder still when your in state recruiting base is also bottom of the conference.

"But Rich Brooks blah blah blah"

He had exactly 1 .500 record in conference. His last two years was 5-11. Our last two seasons have been .500. Which now puts us on my second hand the number of times that's happened since I've been a person.

I'd like to win more... But looking at where we are as a program right now compared to where we've always been? Couldn't be happier. Good news is the success we've had under Mark Stoops is sustainable at Kentucky. And can continue getting better.

Yes we're a little better but....years ago we have been saying, in a few years we will compete with upper SEC teams. Do you really think 3-4-5 years from now, we will be a top SEC team? We have fans that's waited 60-70 years.
Anyone who said that was fooling themselves and anyone else who would listen.

No, I don't. I also don't think there is a coach or any other reasonable scenario that exists that sees that happening here, either.

As I have said before, UKFB may experience some good years, maybe even luck into an SEC championship some day... but those sporadic up years will never translate into a perennial winning tradition. And w/o that very important ingredient, you'll never reach the peak of the SEC for more than a minute. Enjoy the good times if/when they happen, but don't put stock into them leading us to the level of Alabama and UF. Set sights for upper-middle SEC, be happy to get there and even happier if you can maintain. Throw the party of the century if those expectations are exceeded one year.

You can fire/hire coaches and spend money til your heart's content, and we'll end up right back in the same general spot in the SEC hierarchy.

But, feel free to bitch and complain for 60-70 more years. I'm sure it will be fruitful.

ADVERTISEMENT