ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Story: What Stoops needs to fix

Can't read the article, but will throw in my 2 cents

- A defensive scheme that gets us off the field on third and long.
- More discipline, no drive killing penalties, better execution.
- Better clock management at the end of the half
- More offensive plays, faster pace.
- Upgrade OL coaching, and WR coaching, get back to the days of the Big Blue Wall
- Push admin for bigger recruiting budget and take that up a notch
- Improve NIL, that's not all on Stoops though, the school needs to pick up the pace on that.

I agree with 11 years....it pretty much is what it is at this point. But my list of tweaks

1. No more wide zone running game.....back to inside zone and whatever it hurts the play action...so be it.
2. Get back to a handful of RPO per game to get the QB legs back into our attack (I thought Levis first year was a dang good offense attack)
3. I have to admit...I sort of like Heupel and Brohm's attacking risky style of defense. Flood the box and force teams to hurt you passing the ball (and they will at times) but generates more TOs and possessions. Stoops rush 3 guys and drop 8....kills me mostly. Worked vs UL and Stoops will live off that for years now.
4. I'd like our DLine to play with lower pad level....we just play way high and accept plugging a gap vs. push to penetrate and cause more TFL.

I agree with 11 years....it pretty much is what it is at this point. But my list of tweaks

1. No more wide zone running game.....back to inside zone and whatever it hurts the play action...so be it.
2. Get back to a handful of RPO per game to get the QB legs back into our attack (I thought Levis first year was a dang good offense attack)
3. I have to admit...I sort of like Heupel and Brohm's attacking risky style of defense. Flood the box and force teams to hurt you passing the ball (and they will at times) but generates more TOs and possessions. Stoops rush 3 guys and drop 8....kills me mostly. Worked vs UL and Stoops will live off that for years now.
4. I'd like our DLine to play with lower pad level....we just play way high and accept plugging a gap vs. push to penetrate and cause more TFL.
Kick return TD, defense creating 2 fumbles and offense putting up 31 pts along with a 30+ total pts won this game...THIS is what we need more of going forward!

Reactions: IFerg1969
I know fans aren't excited about the number of offensive plays, but CMS is still scheming to give Zuk the best chance to win. When one team is outtalented the best opportunity to win is a shortened game. I think the biggest issue is fans overestimate the talent levels of their teams. Pretty common really.

I know fans aren't excited about the number of offensive plays, but CMS is still scheming to give Zuk the best chance to win. When one team is outtalented the best opportunity to win is a shortened game. I think the biggest issue is fans overestimate the talent levels of their teams. Pretty common really.
Grump...I think you could give MS Ga's offensive players and we would still struggle offensively. His philosophy isn't going to change.

They don’t have to necessarily go to a true inside zone. They can keep most of the same formations but move to a power run scheme (more counters, pin and pull etc). Only thing it really hurts in the play action is the roll outs. Just makes the roll out angle more difficult.

Reactions: catben
bullet points? Have to have a subscription to read the article,
Sorry.

1. Defending Kroger Field: 2022 and 2023 went 1-3 in SEC league play.
2. Fix 3rd down defense: 47.4% conversion rate in 2023, 33.3% in 2022.
3. Offense tempo: UK ran the fewest plays in FBS in 2023.
4. Establishing multi-year QB: rental QBs isn't a good long term strategy
5. Culture: UK went 2-4 in 2022 and 2023 in one score games.

Grumpy, tell me....are GA fans disappointed when GA wins or is that only a UK thing?

Sorry.

1. Defending Kroger Field: 2022 and 2023 went 1-3 in SEC league play.
2. Fix 3rd down defense: 47.4% conversion rate in 2023, 33.3% in 2022.
3. Offense tempo: UK ran the fewest plays in FBS in 2023.
4. Establishing multi-year QB: rental QBs isn't a good long term strategy
5. Culture: UK went 2-4 in 2022 and 2023 in one score games.
Stephen Johnson started for two seasons, Terry Wilson was a three year starter only his 2019 season was cut short due to injury, Will Levis started for two seasons. So to say we are relying on one year rentals isn't quite true. Granted they were all transfers, but they were all still here more than one season. Leary was an exception and if I understand correctly he could petition the NCAA for medical exemption to gain another year if he wanted. However I don't trust the NCAA to make that decision in a timely manner for us to have a backup plan if it doesn't work out. Assuming he would even try.

Reactions: megablue
Stephen Johnson started for two seasons, Terry Wilson was a three year starter only his 2019 season was cut short due to injury, Will Levis started for two seasons. So to say we are relying on one year rentals isn't quite true. Granted they were all transfers, but they were all still here more than one season. Leary was an exception and if I understand correctly he could petition the NCAA for medical exemption to gain another year if he wanted. However I don't trust the NCAA to make that decision in a timely manner for us to have a backup plan if it doesn't work out. Assuming he would even try.
Performance history in college is a much better predictor than high school ... it really is that simple. Commodity is more proven with collegiate experience, versus high school promise.

Reactions: trueblujr2 and JC-3
Mark Story is usually just a fluff piece columnist. Pretty easy to dissect his thoughts, or what he is actually allowed to write. Given where we are in the Stoops tenure, it isn't going to get any better, especially w/ the new SEC slates forthcoming. Way too much to be "fixed" w/o starting over.

But, of those 3, only Levis was a legit SEC caliber starting QB. Continuity is meaningless if the player isn’t good enough. I love the heart that Johnson played with, but, he was backup level, at best, for teams expecting to win in this conference.

Same for TW, minus SJ’s heart. He had great physical tools, but, very little consistency & couldn’t stay healthy. The lack of a consistent passing attack was the difference in winning 10-11 regular season games in 2018, IMO. Hopefully, things change with Boley & Saunders & we can find a solid QB in the portal to bridge the gap until they’re ready.

Some I'd add:
5. When UK has a lead, go for the opponent's throat and quit thinking about running clock in the 3rd quarter. Stop trying to win 'nice'. Get a big lead, put backups in to run the same offense and defense. So tired of not having comfortable wins where 75 players play. Every dang win seems like it's a nail-biter and we aren't truly comfortable unless there's only 4 minutes to play with a 14-point lead. And even then...
6. Come out of the locker room ready to play. So tired of the other team scoring first almost every single game. Play with intensity and fire from the opening kickoff, not vanilla base, lackadaisical defense that just allows teams to go straight down the field to score early. And running off tackle the first play of every game. Be creative but not risky. Have a mind set that we're hanging 40 on our opponent by the end of the 3rd quarter and then everyone in uniform is gonna play the 4th.
7. Develop a backup QB who can run some % of the offense effectively. Develop seasoned backups at every position, especially in the early OOC games. We should be playing almost everyone who dresses in those games and get everyone some quality snaps and ask them to run the offense/defense the same as the starters. Injuries happen and we can't forfeit 3 games because a key player gets hurt and we have no backup ready to play.
8. Hold everyone associated with the program (coaches, players, consultants, etc.) 100% accountable. No more catering to prima donnas. No more making excuses for coaches whose player group underperforms. No more stupid penalties that hurt the team without obvious consequences. Act like a Bama and a Georgia and expect everyone involved to do so, also, and you may be surprised how quickly things improve.

11 years in and he hasn't fixed these things.
He fixed it enough to have two 10 win seasons. Since 1977, that had been done a grand total of 0 times. Yea he’s stubborn to a fault but let’s not act like 11 years here has been as bad as some of yal think. I’ve watched this team since the mid 70’s and we have had some god awful results. Put things in perspective when you act like 11 years here have been a complete failure. I scream into my TV just like everybody else but I also know that 46 years is a helluva lot longer than 11.

He fixed it enough to have two 10 win seasons. Since 1977, that had been done a grand total of 0 times. Yea he’s stubborn to a fault but let’s not act like 11 years here has been as bad as some of yal think. I’ve watched this team since the mid 70’s and we have had some god awful results. Put things in perspective when you act like 11 years here have been a complete failure. I scream into my TV just like everybody else but I also know that 46 years is a helluva lot longer than 11.
It’s broke again

Agree with KTime and gamecock cat
I will give Stoops credit for making UK football relevant again and I believe he gives 100% to his players and coaches. However there are issues from year one that he has yet, in his words, “get back to work and get fixed.”

1. Lack of discipline, most evident in after the whistle has blown penalties. Unacceptable to me but tolerated by CMS. Ex - Jager spearing GA player while he was laying on the ground. He was not taken out of the game!
  2. Recruiting a QB. Recently, most have been transfers and not SEC caliber transfers although Stephen Johnson is one of my favorites. Even with Levis (2 years) under 2 offensive coordinators. Next year another transfer will take the reigns unless Cutter or Sanders can start - not realistic.
  3. Stoops is a defensive minded coach given his background but I think he handcuffs his offensive coordinator. Sure, he is the head coach and should have input, but I wish he would turn Coen “loose.” This is just my observation,.
  4. Weak out of conference schedule does not get team ready for SEC play. Know the SEC is tough enough and will get tougher but show some confidence in your program and play a decent Div 1 school.
  5. Like White as defensive coordinator and depth on defense has improved tremendously. Think defensive backs play too soft.
  6. Special teams improved this year. Of course there was no way they could have been worse. Kudos to special teams coach. Don’t understand why punter Berry punts in the conventional manner rather than rugby style as he has done for most of his life.
  7. Every year, our tight ends are touted as best ever and will strongly figure in the passing game. But mostly They are glorified lineman that may see a couple targets a game. Dingle, Kattus, and Anderson are big and quick. Why not isolate them on a linebacker to open up the field for our wide receivers.
  8. Have not developed depth on offensive line that Schlarman Had for several years. Need to be able to rotate these big guys and have fresh players in the 4th quarter.
  9. Play to WIN!! Gets conservative if we have any lead in the 2nd half.
Personally I hope Iowa calls and Stoops answers!

Last edited:
Probably not a lot happy on Saturday and a few.on Sunday but most could care less in Monday.

It’s broke again
You are correct to a point. What’s broke can be fixed. It might require some coaching changes but it can and will be fixed. This has been a humbling year but maybe it was needed. Everybody is stepping up their game. No reason why we can’t do the same. Lost to some mediocre teams this year and last. That cannot continue to happen

1) Fix the offensive line. We had established an identity on offense that involved having a dominant O-Line. That can have a big impact on every other aspect of the offense.

2) Find a way to get pressure. The best versions of our defense under Stoops included players/schemes that generated pressure. Finding a Josh Allen isn't easy, so if you don't have a game wrecker then you scheme to wreck the game.

3) Stop playing not to lose, and start playing to win. This is related to the previous point. Go back and watch the Tennessee game and the UofL game and notice the difference in our approach. Especially on defense. We allow an average Joe Milton to carve our defense up all day because there is never any pressure on him. No schemes, no blitzes, no stunts. Just play coverage and hope for the best. Quality offenses in the SEC are going to destroy you with that approach which we saw play out multiple times this season. At some point you have to call your shot, and Kentucky just never seems to do that in big games.

4) Develop a scouting department. As far as I am aware, the NCAA does not limit the size of the off-field coaching staff. If that is the case, then a school like Kentucky needs to create a group that can go out and start finding those Diamonds in the rough who are going to enter the portal. Kentucky is not going to win an arms race for the top tier guys, but there are a lot of quality players who can make a difference. Kenneth Walker was a backup RB for Wake Forrest who nearly won the Heisman at Michigan St. Joe Burrow was a third string QB at OSU, and led LSU to a national title. Our own Ray Davis bounced around to multiple schools before becoming a legend at Kentucky. There are more of these guys out there, and we need to put a system in place to help us find them.

But, of those 3, only Levis was a legit SEC caliber starting QB. Continuity is meaningless if the player isn’t good enough. I love the heart that Johnson played with, but, he was backup level, at best, for teams expecting to win in this conference.

Same for TW, minus SJ’s heart. He had great physical tools, but, very little consistency & couldn’t stay healthy. The lack of a consistent passing attack was the difference in winning 10-11 regular season games in 2018, IMO. Hopefully, things change with Boley & Saunders & we can find a solid QB in the portal to bridge the gap until they’re ready.
We can debate the talent level of all of the QB's all day long, but they all took us to multiple Bowl games and TW lead us to a Citrus Bowl victory. TW lead us to a second place finish in the SEC East where we actually competed against UGA for the right to go to the SEC Championship game. TW when healthy was a pretty solid QB and didn't lead this team any worse than Levis. Both Levis and Wilson had seasons finish with the same record and a Citrus Bowl win. TW had to unfortunately play that goofy Covid year in 2020. I venture to guess had we been able to play a normal slate, without all the restrictions and weirdness around that season, we could have fared much better. You say Levis was the only SEC caliber QB of the group, but what more did he accomplish than TW?

We can debate the talent level of all of the QB's all day long, but they all took us to multiple Bowl games and TW lead us to a Citrus Bowl victory. TW lead us to a second place finish in the SEC East where we actually competed against UGA for the right to go to the SEC Championship game. TW when healthy was a pretty solid QB and didn't lead this team any worse than Levis. Both Levis and Wilson had seasons finish with the same record and a Citrus Bowl win. TW had to unfortunately play that goofy Covid year in 2020. I venture to guess had we been able to play a normal slate, without all the restrictions and weirdness around that season, we could have fared much better. You say Levis was the only SEC caliber QB of the group, but what more did he accomplish than TW?
Stop bringing facts into all this ;)

There's always nits to be picked but hard to see anything foundational worth changing with exception being NIL, developing OL and WRs, but I'm really encouraged with the changing views on offensive philosophy, aggressive on 4th downs, etc.

It means a lot that the two (three?)-time defending national champ has a strangle hold on the division. It has a big impact on UK's ceiling and I don't think some take that into account.

This is uncharted territory for long-suffering UK football fans:

Last edited:
There's always nits to be picked but hard to see anything foundational worth changing with exception being NIL, developing OL and WRs, but I'm really encouraged with the changing views on offensive philosophy, aggressive on 4th downs, etc.

It means a lot that the two (three?)-time defending national champ has a strangle hold on the division. It has a big impact on UK's ceiling and I don't think some take that into account.

Definitely some good perspective. I know some will say "the East is easier", but playing SEC football 8 games a year is hard regardless.

I honestly think we (including the media) overestimate the parity in CFB. The truly elite teams (not what the preseason polls say, what the season actually bears out) are far and away above everyone else. Look at how hapless even "top 10" teams like Penn St look when playing Michigan and OSU. Same with most teams when they play Georgia. It's easy to say "oh some teams did better against GA than UK" but Georgia is still basically able to turn it on when they need to even when they throw a clunker to start the game.

FAAARRRR

Like your list especially 2 and 3. I'll preach this till I get as annoying as hell but in todays college game your QB has to some kind of weapon with his legs. And again you dont have to have a Michael Vick back there just mix in some RPO and ACTUALLY keep it once in a while. You see average athletic QBs all over the country doing this already, the Missouri kids kills teams with his legs and I can outrun him.

The QB scramble is also a HUGE weapon and would like to see Coen teach his guys to take off after read #2 every time. There defense is at your mercy when they rush and any open lane is ripe for a scramble that creates big plays and chain moving plays that just kills defenses. Heupel teaches this and it creates a third level of stress and pressure on defenses on drop backs: First stop the draw, second cover the routes, third contain the QB taking off. Completely stresses defenses.

Trying to play out of the pocket with just a passing QB is such a low percentage hard way to play today. Have to have a magical talent back there with top notch Oline and WR too.

Reactions: K_TIME

Levis got drafted and is a starting NFL QB...let's not play that compare game. He's literally the best QB this program has had since Andre. His off year, with an injury, missed games, and new OC he threw more scores than the best year of any other CMS QB. Levis even rushed for more scores than TW.

Levis didn't have the Defense TW had, specifically Josh Allen, to get him the ball back and more opps to score. TW probably had a better OL overall.

As far as the overall theme of the thread and fixing things.

CMS and his inner circle have the run game and defense down generally speaking. We've had great running backs, pretty solid defensive talent, especially up front overall for most of CMS' tenure.

All he's got to do is let LC get that passing game in order. From recruiting to development and game day play calling.

CMS needs to get out of that. It isn't in him. We haven't had a 1000-yard receiver, we haven't had any consistency out of TEs in the passing game and really need a 500 yd/8-10 score guy at that position. Until Levis CMS hadn't had a QB sniff around 20+ scores

We're not going to get any better RBs or any more production out of them than the one's we've had. We've hit our ceiling in the ground game.

Same goes for D. CMS' is maxed out there. He'll continue to find some talent like he has but he's not going 3 deep with Josh Allens and Deon Walkers like our conference peers in the tier above us.

The only place left for CMS to go anywhere, is passing game.

At some point you're just not going to be able to outrun and D most of the SEC. Then you add the fact that most of those programs on that next tier we're trying to at least compete with and beat once in a while who have the elite run and D also have just as good if not better passing games...

Until Stoops understands he does not personally have an Offensive mind and turns the Offense 100% over to Coen, we will never advance higher than we are.

Fewest plays in ALL of College football? That's an extremely poor strategy that has and will continue to cost more games than it wins. Proof is in the record.

Quit slowing the ball down on Offense. You love a 10-9 game (even when you lose). Put some points on the board so we score more than our opponents.

I really hope Iowa bails us out on him. He has been salty to the fans for several months. He is 90% out the door, but has no suitors.

65% of all college teams go to bowl games, now. There is nothing special about playing in them anymore. But, Benny Snell led us to the Citrus Bowl win. He had 144 yards & 2 TDs in that game, while Wilson lit up Penn St, going 9-15 for 121 yards & no TDs & running for 29 yards. TW might’ve been the starting QB, but, Snell & Josh Allen were the leaders of that team & that’s not even debatable.

TW was a side note for that team’s success, whereas Levis was a major focal point of the offense. And, in their respective 2018 & 2021 seasons, Levis threw for 1000 more yards & more than twice as many passing (24-11) & rushing (9-4) TDs. But, technically you’re right, basing it on team success. I just don’t think that all 10 win QBs are equal & will agree to disagree. Personally, I believe that 2018 would’ve been even better with a QB like Levis & that TW wouldn’t have been a difference maker on 21. TW just wasn’t much of a passing threat & the offense was one dimensional, essentially.

65% of all college teams go to bowl games, now. There is nothing special about playing in them anymore. But, Benny Snell led us to the Citrus Bowl win. He had 144 yards & 2 TDs in that game, while Wilson lit up Penn St, going 9-15 for 121 yards & no TDs & running for 29 yards. TW might’ve been the starting QB, but, Snell & Josh Allen were the leaders of that team & that’s not even debatable.

TW was a side note for that team’s success, whereas Levis was a major focal point of the offense. And, in their respective 2018 & 2021 seasons, Levis threw for 1000 more yards & more than twice as many passing (24-11) & rushing (9-4) TDs. But, technically you’re right, basing it on team success. I just don’t think that all 10 win QBs are equal & will agree to disagree. Personally, I believe that 2018 would’ve been even better with a QB like Levis & that TW wouldn’t have been a difference maker on 21. TW just wasn’t much of a passing threat & the offense was one dimensional, essentially.
I would counter that without Wan' Dale Robinson, Levis' first season here would have looked a LOT different. And don't get me wrong, I'm a big Will Levis fan, I think he did some great things here, but Football is a team sport and wee built teams that produced the results they did. Are you saying we could have put guy like Morgan Newton out there instead of Terry Wilson and gotten the same results? My point is, especially in 2018, that TW managed games pretty darn good. He may not have had glitzy stats, but he managed us to 10 wins and a citrus bowl victory, and was playing well before he went down in game 2 in 2019. and again, 2020 was a weird ass year with weird ass circumstances, but he still managed us fairly well through it all. He deserves a lot more credit than he's gotten. in 2018, he was sacked 28 times and still managed to run for over 500 yards. That's pretty commendable.

Reactions: mrschwump
Put Josh Allen Sr year along with Baity, Edwards, Wests and Lonnie Johnson DBs...with Levis....we'd not have lost to Tennessee. This isn't really an argument to make on who is the superior QB

I would counter that without Wan' Dale Robinson, Levis' first season here would have looked a LOT different. And don't get me wrong, I'm a big Will Levis fan, I think he did some great things here, but Football is a team sport and wee built teams that produced the results they did. Are you saying we could have put guy like Morgan Newton out there instead of Terry Wilson and gotten the same results? My point is, especially in 2018, that TW managed games pretty darn good. He may not have had glitzy stats, but he managed us to 10 wins and a citrus bowl victory, and was playing well before he went down in game 2 in 2019. and again, 2020 was a weird ass year with weird ass circumstances, but he still managed us fairly well through it all. He deserves a lot more credit than he's gotten. in 2018, he was sacked 28 times and still managed to run for over 500 yards. That's pretty commendable.
Come on, man, lol. No, I’m not saying that someone like Newton would’ve gotten the same results. Newton was terrible. I said a QB like Levis, meaning a competent passer & also having an alpha mentality. I never said TW was a bad player. But, he WAS quite average, soft & limited in the passing game & was not a typical SEC type starting QB.

Wouldn’t he have gone somewhere better than N Mexico if he was considered a good/really good QB? At least to another P5 school? Good QBs don’t usually take that big of a step down when they transfer. With an even SOMEWHAT, consistent passing attack we beat aTm & UT in 2018 & win 10-11 regular season games, IMO. I just don’t think that TW was responsible for very much of the success in 2018. But, he was absolutely better than Newton, Whitlow & that level of players.

Come on, man, lol. No, I’m not saying that someone like Newton would’ve gotten the same results. Newton was terrible. I said a QB like Levis, meaning a competent passer & also having an alpha mentality. I never said TW was a bad player. But, he WAS quite average, soft & limited in the passing game & was not a typical SEC type starting QB.

Wouldn’t he have gone somewhere better than N Mexico if he was considered a good/really good QB? At least to another P5 school? Good QBs don’t usually take that big of a step down when they transfer. With an even SOMEWHAT, consistent passing attack we beat aTm & UT in 2018 & win 10-11 regular season games, IMO. I just don’t think that TW was responsible for very much of

the success in 2018. But, he was absolutely better than Newton, Whitlow & that level of players.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT