ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy D said expect 7-8 new players

One more post from me regarding Meeks freshman year:

“He was named the Southeastern Conference (SEC) Freshman of the Week three times during his freshman season. Meeks was a unanimous selection to the SEC All-Freshman team. He was also recognized among America's best freshman selected by The Collegeinsider.com to the Freshmen All-America team. The Freshmen All-America team consists of 16 players selected by Division I coaches and NBA scouts.

Jodie Meeks was actually named to the freshman All-American team by at least one publication his freshman year. So, not true that he was “not a good player”.
Then I question the publication that listed him as such, or the competition he was up against for said designation. You’ll have to do better then an appeal to authority to convince me that Jodie Meeks had everyone convinced he would a star his junior year. No one, and I mean no one on this board was predicting that. A lot of hindsight going on about Meeks lately. He surprised everyone his junior year as most people had Patterson pegged as the focal of our offense his junior year.

Edit: to clarify, by “not a good player” I meant he was not a player his first 2 seasons (he did get injured his second season, important to note) that could’ve been counted to be our leading scorer and championship caliber team (and I say that because that was his eventual role, our go-to scorer along Patterson- and rightfully so, he was a beast his junior year).

Last edited:
Then I question the publication that listed him as such, or the competition he was up against for said designation. You’ll have to do better then an appeal to authority to convince me that Jodie Meeks had everyone convinced he would a star his junior year. No one, and I mean no one on this board was predicting that. A lot of hindsight going on about Meeks lately. He surprised everyone his junior year as most people had Patterson pegged as the focal of our offense his junior year.

Edit: to clarify, by “not a good player” I meant he was not a player his first 2 seasons (he did get injured his second season, important to note) that could’ve been counted to be our leading scorer and championship caliber team (and I say that because that was his eventual role, our go-to scorer along Patterson- and rightfully so, he was a beast his junior year).
How about the fact that he was unanimous Selection for the SEC All-Freshman Team? 3x SEC Freshman of the Week?

I’m not saying anyone knew he was going to score 25 ppg his junior year, but what I’m pushing back on is that he “wasn’t a good player” his freshman year.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
How about the fact that he was unanimous Selection for the SEC All-Freshman Team? 3x SEC Freshman of the Week?

I’m not saying anyone knew he was going to score 25 ppg his junior year, but what I’m pushing back on is that he “wasn’t a good player” his freshman year.
Fair enough. I think we have different standards for makes a good player. I do think he was player and freshman with a lot promise but I don’t think he could’ve been counted on as a major contributor his freshman or sophomore seasons to lead a team in the way he did his junior year. And no, he didn’t have to be as a good as he was junior year to be a good player in my eyes.

but in my eyes it does take more than 8.7 ppg to make a player “a good player” when their role is to score.

Now you are simply lying. Because I was predicting Meeks to be our next star (Prince, Delk, Mercer, etc).
Even as a FR you could see how good he was. Good D, made I think just over 40% of his 3’s, just smooth all around game, didn’t force it.
Then he was blowing up in the Blue-White games his Soph yr, but I think badly pulled a hammy or groin in our first game and really wasn’t 100% that year.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Now you are simply lying. Because I was predicting Meeks to be our next star (Prince, Delk, Mercer, etc).
Even as a FR you could see how good he was. Good D, made I think just over 40% of his 3’s, just smooth all around game, didn’t force it.
Then he was blowing up in the Blue-White games his Soph yr, but I think badly pulled a hammy or groin in our first game and really wasn’t 100% that year.
I’m with you. I was basically the president of the Jodie Meeks fan club at the end of his freshman year. I even thought him being a part of the future could save Tubby’s job at the time.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
You’re calling me a liar because some random person Ive never met or talked to about Meeks (you) predicted he’d be a star. Lol ok buddy. Show me posts from 5 different posters prior to his junior year that he’d be a star. I read this board for 3 years prior to making an account and do not recall anyone making that prediction. All the predictions I recall were that PPat, if he chose to stay, would be our star and focal point of our offense. That the was the majority opinion as I recall.

Also he was shooting 36.4% of his 3s of his freshman year. Dipped down 32% his sophomore year under injury. Before you go calling people liars you should get your facts straight first. I mean you literally just have to google jodie meeks college stats. less than 30 seconds.

I was in middle school when meeks arrived, and I chose him as my favorite after Rondo leaving and that years college basketball game i would sub him into the starting line up. This was before the season started. I don't really remember him having a good year but like I said, middle school. Obviously barely played as a soph then we all know his Jr year. Tennessee game was the first I ever dvr'd so I could have some female time and watch after. Let's just say that was an awesome night lol

He was one of my favorites until I finally met him in person in 2011 in Lex unfortunately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT