ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy D said expect 7-8 new players

During the game he said he talked to Cal before the game and he expects a new roster of 7-8 players for next year and players that will play hard and make shots. Makes me wonder who recruited the kids we have now? Who stays?
Just means Cal has gotten into a cycle with this stupid OAD system where UK is constantly bleeding players and we end up with a bunch of new players who take 2 to 3 months just to get good in his crappy system. How about getting caught up with modern basketball.

Last year was planned to have a lot of incoming players. This year may be necessity to have some new blood and as many have noticed the frontcourt is loaded with similar players and lacking a true wing who can create offense.

This current backcourt is the worst in power conference basketball. I personally don't see Hickman as the guy to dramatically change everything but would love to see him here 3 to 4 years.

Who? Hardy isn’t coming. Sallis isn’t coming. Keels is 50/50. Where are the surprise players? More grad transfers from ham sandwich university who averaged 12ppg on 34% from the field in the lunch conference?
Is he going to dip in transfers and international players? I think he is grasping for straws.

Who? Hardy isn’t coming. Sallis isn’t coming. Keels is 50/50. Where are the surprise players? More grad transfers from ham sandwich university who averaged 12ppg on 34% from the field in the lunch conference?
Not nice Richie.

Last year was planned to have a lot of incoming players. This year may be necessity to have some new blood and as many have noticed the frontcourt is loaded with similar players and lacking a true wing who can create offense.

This current backcourt is the worst in power conference basketball. I personally don't see Hickman as the guy to dramatically change everything but would love to see him here 3 to 4 years.
Sallis/Hardy/Keels aren’t coming so....oh no, i’m getting sick imagining a devin askew led backcourt next year.

How does Dykes know that the next crop of kids are just going to play "better" and "harder"? I mean, I imagine they will, we can't be much worse. But that sounds like a "we can't lose viewers!" type of spin by ESPN.

If we have 7-8 new players.. I suspect we'll be no higher than a 5-6 seed come tournament time.. and that's being optimistic.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Sallis/Hardy/Keels aren’t coming so....oh no, i’m getting sick imagining a devin askew led backcourt next year.

Some guys better figure out a way to get things done if they want to keep their jobs on the Lifetime Contract Network.

As for that image, I'd rather not speak of that on this site. Like too many people here. If he's starting next year, it's the equivalent of self induced probation.

Matt Jones mentioned this today.. he said 8 new players and assumes Toppin for sure stays. That makes 9 scholarship players. Who are the final 1-3 who stay from this group? It is getting frustrating to see this year after year. Cal needs to commit to developing these 4-5 stars who aren’t instantly NBA ready

Matt Jones mentioned this today.. he said 8 new players and assumes Toppin for sure stays. That makes 9 scholarship players. Who are the final 1-3 who stay from this group? It is getting frustrating to see this year after year. Cal needs to commit to developing these 4-5 stars who aren’t instantly NBA ready

This is a rarity where I think they need to re-set the roster though. But the key is it can't be limited to just personnel, there are a few dead anchors pulling down this staff and need to be sent packing. Send a message that **** work won't be tolerated at any level. Fixing a problem means you fix it, not window dress for sake of saying you made changes.

Plan for Toppin was to redshirt and sit-imagine how bad things would be if he was sitting out? He's one of the few bright spots this year in terms of his development and getting some experience.

You can only develop someone who has potential to be developed. When you are doing the same stupid stuff 23 games into the season, it's a reflection that you are either not being coached or uncoachable. Cal/Staff have significant fault but we know some things they've said and are being ignored. People like that can't be allowed to play. People who recruit guys like that better have enough stripes on wall to earn another chance to work. If not--you dump them and get someone who can land better players.

During the game he said he talked to Cal before the game and he expects a new roster of 7-8 players for next year and players that will play hard and make shots. Makes me wonder who recruited the kids we have now? Who stays?

To translate what Dykes said in a professional manner for telecast:

Askew is awful and needs to be replaced and fact he went on and on is more of How the **** did this guy ever get to Kentucky?

Sarr is a P***y and can't win with guys like him

BJ Boston is a bust and he can't play.

Mintz tries hard but should never be starting at Kentucky

Jackson would've been outstanding on a typical Kentucky team

Brooks is a good 4 yr player who thinks he's a 2 yr player

Toppin has a chance

Allen is a good role player who somehow doesn't play on a team who can't shoot

This is a rarity where I think they need to re-set the roster though. But the key is it can't be limited to just personnel, there are a few dead anchors pulling down this staff and need to be sent packing. Send a message that **** work won't be tolerated at any level. Fixing a problem means you fix it, not window dress for sake of saying you made changes.

Plan for Toppin was to redshirt and sit-imagine how bad things would be if he was sitting out? He's one of the few bright spots this year in terms of his development and getting some experience.

You can only develop someone who has potential to be developed. When you are doing the same stupid stuff 23 games into the season, it's a reflection that you are either not being coached or uncoachable. Cal/Staff have significant fault but we know some things they've said and are being ignored. People like that can't be allowed to play. People who recruit guys like that better have enough stripes on wall to earn another chance to work. If not--you dump them and get someone who can land better players.
This is exactly why many of us believe so adamantly that Allen should’ve been playing over BJ for most of the season (I was willing to give BJ a few games to figure it out... not the whole **** season).

BJ sucks and won’t be here next season. Develop Allen. Imagine getting 3 minutes while the guy in front of you gets 32 and goes 1-9. I’d pull a B Rabbit and “walk my [black] ass back across 8 mile.”

Last edited:
To translate what Dykes said in a professional manner for telecast:

Askew is awful and needs to be replaced and fact he went on and on is more of How the **** did this guy ever get to Kentucky?

Sarr is a P***y and can't win with guys like him

BJ Boston is a bust and he can't play.

Mintz tries hard but should never be starting at Kentucky

Jackson would've been outstanding on a typical Kentucky team

Brooks is a good 4 yr player who thinks he's a 2 yr player

Toppin has a chance

Allen is a good role player who somehow doesn't play on a team who can't shoot
Allen is only role player now. Imagine him as a senior if actually got to play. Jodie Meeks wasn’t breaking records his freshman season either. Or his sophomore season. Allen would’ve been special (maybe not Meeks special) by his junior/senior season imo.

Reactions: CB3UK
How does Dykes know that the next crop of kids are just going to play "better" and "harder"? I mean, I imagine they will, we can't be much worse. But that sounds like a "we can't lose viewers!" type of spin by ESPN.

If we have 7-8 new players.. I suspect we'll be no higher than a 5-6 seed come tournament time.. and that's being optimistic.
Did he mention the new recruits having to learn violent cuts or guard the yard ?

What that means is Cal hasn’t learned a thing from this debacle of a season.
please, let it mean that the current kids will have such new attitudes; that it will be like 7-8 "new players"
if not we effed again, next year

I remember him saying that, but I think he was mistaken. I think what he meant to say was "expect 7-8 players to leave."

If true that Cal plans on having 7 to 8 new players then I am guessing that Toppin, Ware, Askew, Fletcher? and maybe Mintz are our only returning players. Cal also may be sending an unspoken message to some that says I prefer that you leave, and I dont mean to the draft. He knows he missed on player evaluation this season so he will do anything to correct the mistakes. I have always thought Allen would stay but now, I am thinking he goes into the portal.

no one is now

fan enthusiasm for the program isn't going to improve next year

This is one thing I'm really worried about this summer. If there's another mass exodus of players, which I think there will be, a fan base already on edge will lose their minds. It's gonna be really hard in October for poeple to get excited again, especially if we lose 8 guys from an 8-15 team.

If true that Cal plans on having 7 to 8 new players then I am guessing that Toppin, Ware, Askew, Fletcher? and maybe Mintz are our only returning players. Cal also may be sending an unspoken message to some that says I prefer that you leave, and I dont mean to the draft. He knows he missed on player evaluation this season so he will do anything to correct the mistakes. I have always thought Allen would stay but now, I am thinking he goes into the portal.
Listened to Jerry Eaves show today, very good as usual, they basically said Askew was not a good fit for UK and what Cal wants to do, put some blame on Cal some on kid and parents for picking a system not suited for him. I am not being hard on the kid and I do want to build some depth at PG but I just don't see it ending well for Askew, he already has one PG coming in next year and by all accounts he will be as good or better and I think Cal honestly will prob go after somebody else better than Hickman if possible. So Askew is looking at 3rd string after coming off 30 minutes a game this year. Again, as I have said in other posts, to me the is the Quade scenario all over again.

Last edited:
Reactions: BFFs_On_My_Staff
Imagine a scenario where Mintz decides he's not coming back, Askew decides to transfer back home and Skyy Clark stays in 2022. Where does Cal go for a stud PG other than just having Hickman. I just don't see any of these transfer PG's being that caliber player. Cupboard looks pretty bare.

Reactions: ukgrad2004
Imagine a scenario where Mintz decides he's not coming back, Askew decides to transfer back home and Skyy Clark stays in 2022. Where does Cal go for a stud PG other than just having Hickman. I just don't see any of these transfer PG's being that caliber player. Cupboard looks pretty bare.
Well, worst case scenario we have Hickman, I mean Cal only had one PG on the roster this year, I don't think he see or wants Mintz to play PG. There will be tons of transfers or grad transfers to choose from, the question is will they get the right one?

Reactions: westerncat
Well, worst case scenario we have Hickman, I mean Cal only had one PG on the roster this year, I don't think he see or wants Mintz to play PG. There will be tons of transfers or grad transfers to choose from, the question is will they get the right one?

The current state of our program -- hoping the next freshman PG or some transfer or grad transfers can fill in the gaps in our swiss cheese roster. Iyiyi

The current state of our program -- hoping the next freshman PG or some transfer or grad transfers can fill in the gaps in our swiss cheese roster. Iyiyi
I agree with you but it is what it is at this point, do you invest in Askew for the next 3 years or go after the best PG or PG's you can for next year. I am sure there are 5 PG's somewhere out there that will be instant stars next year, Cal needs to get his shit together and get one of them.

ADVERTISEMENT