ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy D said expect 7-8 new players

Every time we reset the roster, we lose ground to all the teams that have veteran rosters that have played together for years.

If you watch Baylor play, you see a team that is like a well oiled machine. They’re all well coached and they have a flow to their offense that we have never had under Cal.

If you reset your roster and you don't fill it up with transcendent AND highly skilled veterans, you aren't going to fair very well against veteran teams, which, if you look at our tournament losses in the Cal era, you can easily say that a lack of experience, was our downfall.

I believe Dykes said this because that’s what Cal told him. It shows what a trick bag we now find ourselves in. On one hand we as as fans are sick of the 1 year mercenary model Cal has made and want to see some consistency and continuity in our roster by retaining at least a portion of our team each year. On the other hand our current roster is so mismatched and damaged that bringing in a new roster next year might be the only way we get back to the level of excellence we all expect and demand. This is where Cal has put us. His statement also highlights his total myopia about what really ails us. Cals solution appears to be to double down on the very tactics that has led to the debacle of this season and our fans discontent. For anything to really change HE NEEDS TO GO!

So you don't think players can improve over time?Guys like IQ didn't do much as a freshman but improved over time.I don't see how starting over from scratch yet again is the answer.
some on this team no
i referenced IQ the other day
he was not great as a frosh but would have started on this team

some on this team no
i referenced IQ the other day
he was not great as a frosh but would have started on this team
The recruiting class coming in also looks weak.As long as Cal can't get the stars we are doomed if we continue this one and done with low 5 stars who leave anyway.Cal is the problem right now.

Sad if true. Cant keep overhauling the roster like this, especially when the freshmen are extra pampered these days, if u know what I mean.

I reference a interview I saw with Tony Delk about his time at UK. His freshman year he was spotty and inconsistent , was unhappy and homesick and considered leaving UK. The coaches talked him out of it and he stayed to become the best shooting guard we ever had by his senior year. Does anyone believe if he had come up under Cal and his culture we would have had this result?

Last edited:
The recruiting class coming in also looks weak.As long as Cal can't get the stars we are doomed if we continue this one and done with low 5 stars who leave anyway.Cal is the problem right now.
this group is like constantly trying to put a square peg in a round hole
that is on Cal and staff

players do not have to be super stars but they have to at least be useful

players leaving this team is addition by subtraction

I reference a interview I saw with Tony Delk about his time at UK. His freshman year he was spotty and inconsistent , was unhappy and homesick and considered leaving UK. The coaches talked him out of it and he stayed to become the best shooting guard we ever had by his senior year. Does anyone deliver if he had come up under Cal and his culture we would have had this result?
It makes me feel old but Delk played before AAU was a big thing. Facebook and Message boards were not used nonstop, or at all. If Delk was in his HS senior year now, he would have a number of people in his ear just like todays players do. He may have signed with UK thinking it was just for one year. His group may have talked him out of coming back. College basketball is in a fragile position right now. Not just UK but College basketball. I hope it can exist in some form but the days of having kids sign, stay in school and graduate is about gone for the top programs. imo

It makes me feel old but Delk played before AAU was a big thing. Facebook and Message boards were not used nonstop, or at all. If Delk was in his HS senior year now, he would have a number of people in his ear just like todays players do. He may have signed with UK thinking it was just for one year. His group may have talked him out of coming back. College basketball is in a fragile position right now. Not just UK but College basketball. I hope it can exist in some form but the days of having kids sign, stay in school and graduate is about gone for the top programs. imo
agreed
in today's landscape Delk would not have been a senior at UK
i think he averaged over 50 points a game his senior year of H.S. he may have went straight to g-league in today's landscape
things have changed a lot in the last 20-25 years

If true that Cal plans on having 7 to 8 new players then I am guessing that Toppin, Ware, Askew, Fletcher? and maybe Mintz are our only returning players. Cal also may be sending an unspoken message to some that says I prefer that you leave, and I dont mean to the draft. He knows he missed on player evaluation this season so he will do anything to correct the mistakes. I have always thought Allen would stay but now, I am thinking he goes into the portal.

Yet somehow despite losing 5-9 players every single year you don’t see anything wrong with his model. We will loose 5-9 players off of a 8-15 team. And bring in no elites and no even high caliber recruits. You somehow think we’re going to be a legit good team next year.

Maybe you really do but man it’s stuff like this post that makes many not take you seriously and shows how truly faulty your logic is.

Well, worst case scenario we have Hickman, I mean Cal only had one PG on the roster this year, I don't think he see or wants Mintz to play PG. There will be tons of transfers or grad transfers to choose from, the question is will they get the right one?

This didn’t really address his concern.

I'm actually pretty excited for next season. Consider that Mintz may come back, who is one of our better players and the only one who appears to care about losing. Thiebshe, Collins (Who is either going to be just as good as Jackson or better). Don't count Sallis out of the picture, I think he ends up coming. Then add just some reliable shooters. Also, Toppin year two is exciting. Dude looks really good compared to where he was. Clarke may decide to come back as well. Next years team will be sooo much better. Cal is not going to have a rerun of this year, I can guarantee it.

I guarantee you it will be bad. You’ll say these optimistic upbeat things every year. His model is broken. We may not be 8-15 bad next year but we will be bad. If we lose 5-8 guys I guarantee it.

so you guys want this 8-15 team to return
got it...................

Based off who we have coming in next year please explain to me why it would be better to return no players. Explain how returning players for at least some experience will be worse than losing them with a ho hum class coming in.

The current state of our program -- hoping the next freshman PG or some transfer or grad transfers can fill in the gaps in our swiss cheese roster. Iyiyi

certainely doesn't sound like the gold standard of basketball, more like the bronze standard

Based off who we have coming in next year please explain to me why it would be better to return no players. Explain how returning players for at least some experience will be worse than losing them with a ho hum class coming in.

explain to me how they could be any worse
most of the time i believe players can and will get better
i do not feel that way about this group
i will be glad when most of them are gone
if most fans are truthful they feel the same way
if they all came back what do you think our record would be next year?
do you think they would be contending for the championship? I highly doubt it

this is the first year since "team turmoil" that i am happy to see some players go

Yet somehow despite losing 5-9 players every single year you don’t see anything wrong with his model. We will loose 5-9 players off of a 8-15 team. And bring in no elites and no even high caliber recruits. You somehow think we’re going to be a legit good team next year.

Maybe you really do but man it’s stuff like this post that makes many not take you seriously and shows how truly faulty your logic is.
Well we both know that we are losing five. Mintz, maybe stays, but I think that is a pipe dream. So we lose 5 and Cal wants to , according to Dykes, bring in 7 to 8 new players.
I will ask you, what would you do? Do you sign the best players you can get or do you settle for promising players that will need time to develop. I am frustrated with players leaving to go places other than the pros more so than the one and dones. How would keep them.
I just want a good team that has a shot at the title. That is a lot to ask but thats what I want. To me our problem is not the Maxeys and the Quickleys but, it is the Hagans and the Juzangs.
How do you, Frank, keep them?
I absolutely see something wrong with this model and I wish we could stop the cycle. A new coach, maybe. Nate Oats, maybe. Look at the top players on 24/7. You will see Nate Oats and Mark Few going hard after every one of the top players. Their goal is to do what Cal and K have been doing. So , do you still want Oats or Few? Is that the answer? You tell me.

You are very active on this board and you have strong opinions. I choose to stay positive but realistic, at least in my mind. You seem to offer a great deal of criticism towards Cal, the state of the program and with posters that disagree and, you do so on a regular basis. I would like to actually read your plans to change it. Change it in a way that works. Instead of complaining , show a positive path forward. If you can do that, I may take you seriously.

Cal is not going to ask them to leave the program but, like every year, he will sit down with each player to discuss their future. The fact that he gave doofus Jimmy Dykes info, knowing Dykes would reveal that info on national television, is sending a message to fans and ,I suppose, to players that a change is coming. If Cal is honest with every player about their future why isnt that players first?
that's still is a BS move. Remember the days when you had a kid come in and you gave him a chance to develop, to improve each season, to learn the system? That has happened under Cal to an extent that the potential to go pro was there and he had a spot for the kid, but this idea that Cal is going to sit down with multiple players, not an individual , and "be honest" with them - which we all know is implying the " I can't play you here because you suck" is just so far off what a coach does. Cal should be completely invested in the development of each player, he recruited them, he sold them on the idea of coming here, he told their parents whatever bs stuff he tells parents about taking care of their son and then after a bad season he is going to clean house, and worse, he tells a TV announcer knowing the TV announcer will go on national television and serve notice to fans, the players families and to future recruits there is an revolving door at Wildcat Lodge.

Thats not being players first, that is being Cal first. IMO, its a low class self serving move. I understood it when Cal first came here, I wasn't thrilled with it but him wanting to get his own players and move on from Gillispie's chaos was kinda understandable. Now he wants to move on from his own self created chaos, and worse, according to your take, his solution is to do the exact same thing that trashed the program and put him in this position in the first place. Cycle out players and replace them with new younger versions, only in this case , them leaving is his idea. Cal is big on protecting players when he thinks they may be on his NBA mural one day, not so much when they turn out to just be regular ole college athletes.

These are students who chose the University of Kentucky as their college. They were asked to come here, play basketball and graduate from here - regardless of how we package it , that is the overriding concept we adhere to in college athletics. Unless they did something to disrespect the University of Kentucky (and sucking at basketball is not that) then they should be welcomed back, encouraged to develop and expected to grow with our coaching staff setting that as a priority for this program.

That is players first. Any other variation is just rationalizing Cal's priorities over the players.

Any discussion about the coach discouraging a returning player from coming back or the notion he is going to sit down and tell them he is going to actively work to marginalize their participation on the team is a dirtbag move and no way to run a college program.

he'll kneel with them for woke points but he won't think twice about chasing them off because they didn't live up to his expectations in the 9 months they were on campus.

Last edited:
I don't care who is on the roster next year. Win. Just win. Be a 1 or 2 seed going into the tournament. Don't care how Cal does it just so he does.

I pull for Allen but we just have a different opinion on comparing Meeks and Allen. Meeks was a gifted athlete. Dontae is athletic but on a much lower level. Meeks was very aggressive offensively and defensively. Allen is a spot up shooter that can not create his own shot, (Yet). He is also a defensive liability (right now), not forever. I agree DA will get better. With hard work and drive he will be a good player , maybe by next year although I dont believe he will ever be anything close to Meeks . I do hope he stays.
when Did I say he would be Meeks? Show me the quote. I said if he stayed if he would be special like Meeks. Never said he would be Meeks. I was comparing his potential impact to that of a Meeks: a consistent outside scoring threat with the ability to drive to the hoops, good ft shooter.

it really is amazing how specific you have to be to post here. People will cherry Pick the hell out of an innocent post just to be contrary

I hope Cal can get Mintz, Brooks, Ware, Toppin, Fletcher, Allen, Askew and Sarr back. I mean, why not?

I know Askew isn’t what we want as a starting pg, but with a summer if hard work, he could be a damn good backup.

Toppin will be a star if he puts in the work.

Sarr needs to hit the weight room and take up MMA fighting to get stronger and tougher.

Mintz would be a really good 2, he won’t be Monk or Murray, but he could be a Lamb or an Aaron, I'd be good with that.

If Cal only returns a couple guys and he brings in 7 new guys, hopefully he's bringing in guys that are solid veterans that will stay in the program for longer than a cup of coffee. At some point, he has to get this roster stabilized. Hopkins and Hickman are multi year guys and I like that. I'm not sure what sell job Cal put on those two to get them here, but hopefully they know they are not one and done guys.

Collins and Oscar are very promising. My worry is I'm not sure either player can score and they will be foul prone, at least for a while.

Lastly, what about Clarke? The guy is a second rounder right now. I'm sure Cal will make some phone calls, like he did with Richards and Clarke will go in the first round, but that guy has lottery pick potential. He's probably 99% gone, but if Cal wanted, he could convince him to come back. That should be his #1 recruit right now.

How does Dykes know that the next crop of kids are just going to play "better" and "harder"? I mean, I imagine they will, we can't be much worse. But that sounds like a "we can't lose viewers!" type of spin by ESPN.

If we have 7-8 new players.. I suspect we'll be no higher than a 5-6 seed come tournament time.. and that's being optimistic.

He was just echoing Cal’s frustration - and in some ways - Cal’s total deflection onto some of these kids.
Cal basically told Dykes he needs players who will do certain things, and next year he will have those type players. He didn’t give any intel to dykes as to who they are or what skill set - more just venting about what he needs and what he will supposedly go get.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
that's still is a BS move. Remember the days when you had a kid come in and you gave him a chance to develop, to improve each season, to learn the system? That has happened under Cal to an extent that the potential to go pro was there and he had a spot for the kid, but this idea that Cal is going to sit down with multiple players, not an individual , and "be honest" with them - which we all know is implying the " I can't play you here because you suck" is just so far off what a coach does. Cal should be completely invested in the development of each player, he recruited them, he sold them on the idea of coming here, he told their parents whatever bs stuff he tells parents about taking care of their son and then after a bad season he is going to clean house, and worse, he tells a TV announcer knowing the TV announcer will go on national television and serve notice to fans, the players families and to future recruits there is an revolving door at Wildcat Lodge.

Thats not being players first, that is being Cal first. IMO, its a low class self serving move. I understood it when Cal first came here, I wasn't thrilled with it but him wanting to get his own players and move on from Gillispie's chaos was kinda understandable. Now he wants to move on from his own self created chaos, and worse, according to your take, his solution is to do the exact same thing that trashed the program and put him in this position in the first place. Cycle out players and replace them with new younger versions, only in this case , them leaving is his idea. Cal is big on protecting players when he thinks they may be on his NBA mural one day, not so much when they turn out to just be regular ole college athletes.

These are students who chose the University of Kentucky as their college. They were asked to come here, play basketball and graduate from here - regardless of how we package it , that is the overriding concept we adhere to in college athletics. Unless they did something to disrespect the University of Kentucky (and sucking at basketball is not that) then they should be welcomed back, encouraged to develop and expected to grow with our coaching staff setting that as a priority for this program.

That is players first. Any other variation is just rationalizing Cal's priorities over the players.

Any discussion about the coach discouraging a returning player from coming back or the notion he is going to sit down and tell them he is going to actively work to marginalize their participation on the team is a dirtbag move and no way to run a college program.

he'll kneel with them for woke points but he won't think twice about chasing them off because they didn't live up to his expectations in the 9 months they were on campus.
If Cal talks to them about weaknesses and what they must work and improve on during the offseason he is doing what all coaches do. If he tells the player about how he plans to use him next season, it is what all coaches do. And , like I said in my op he will or ,has already sent, a message to several players that they must be more aggressive , more active on offense and defense or he wont play them. I dont think he tells a player to leave but he does force them to do what needs to be done, in his eyes. Some players may want to stay and do what Cal thinks is necessary, others may decide they will never please him and decide to move on. Possibly Juzang, for instance. On this years team, Allen and Fletcher, according to many on this board , will definitely leave. I personally think they should stay, put in the time and the work and try to do what is asked of them. Obviously several of the players are just not working out this year.
I do not know why but you bring up the kneeling again. The kneeling did not impact and will never impact me , how I live or my thoughts. I understand the BLM movement and I support it. So , if that is part of your reason to fire Cal, I think it is intellectually lazy . Do you honestly think our next coach will say he is against BLM and against a peaceful protest. That is just not gonna happen. Well, maybe Bob Knight is available.

He was just echoing Cal’s frustration - and in some ways - Cal’s total deflection onto some of these kids.
Cal basically told Dykes he needs players who will do certain things, and next year he will have those type players. He didn’t give any intel to dykes as to who they are or what skill set - more just venting about what he needs and what he will supposedly go get.

Thats kind of how I'm interpreting it. It's Dykes speculating based on the last 10 years of bringing in new players.

I think we return 6 (Askew, Toppin, Ware, Brooks, Mintz and Tsheibwe). Add in Hickman, Hopkins and Collins. Then look for one or two transfer wings that can hopefully shoot the ball. The returning players will make big improvements IMO and Tsheibwe is the muscle that we don't have this year.

Also, Sallis, Keel and Hardy are still possibilities. I'm not holding my breath on any of them but you never know (Kevin Knox for example)

I think we return 6 (Askew, Toppin, Ware, Brooks, Mintz and Tsheibwe). Add in Hickman, Hopkins and Collins. Then look for one or two transfer wings that can hopefully shoot the ball. The returning players will make big improvements IMO and Tsheibwe is the muscle that we don't have this year.

Also, Sallis, Keel and Hardy are still possibilities. I'm not holding my breath on any of them but you never know (Kevin Knox for example)
That’s a bubble team.

Askew can't be the lead pg next year. If he's in the starting lineup, we won't make the tournament.

That’s a bubble team.

Askew can't be the lead pg next year. If he's in the starting lineup, we won't make the tournament.

That's just an opinion. Hickman may be lights out for us. Those who say he is mediocre do not know that. It will be different next year. This year has been crap. There's no denying that. The two stars did not pan out, the PG needs more time and one of the transfers was very underwhelming. It became the perfect storm for a bad season. My opinion about next year is different from yours. I think we will make a run. Collins will be as good or better than Jackson and Tshebwie is not soft and can man the middle. The other guys will make improvements and we will have another signee or transfer or two. I, for one, hope they are the wings that we need.

If Cal talks to them about weaknesses and what they must work and improve on during the offseason he is doing what all coaches do. If he tells the player about how he plans to use him next season, it is what all coaches do. And , like I said in my op he will or ,has already sent, a message to several players that they must be more aggressive , more active on offense and defense or he wont play them. I dont think he tells a player to leave but he does force them to do what needs to be done, in his eyes. Some players may want to stay and do what Cal thinks is necessary, others may decide they will never please him and decide to move on. Possibly Juzang, for instance. On this years team, Allen and Fletcher, according to many on this board , will definitely leave. I personally think they should stay, put in the time and the work and try to do what is asked of them. Obviously several of the players are just not working out this year.
I do not know why but you bring up the kneeling again. The kneeling did not impact and will never impact me , how I live or my thoughts. I understand the BLM movement and I support it. So , if that is part of your reason to fire Cal, I think it is intellectually lazy . Do you honestly think our next coach will say he is against BLM and against a peaceful protest. That is just not gonna happen. Well, maybe Bob Knight is available.

Peaceful protests? What a load if garbage. Billions... BILLIONS in property damage. I am not gonna bother counting the deaths... just say 40 for argument sake. Your idea of peaceful is exactly the same as Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot.

Peaceful. Pfffttt...

Peaceful protests? What a load if garbage. Billions... BILLIONS in property damage. I am not gonna bother counting the deaths... just say 40 for argument sake. Your idea of peaceful is exactly the same as Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot.

Peaceful. Pfffttt...
Hey man, take off your buffalo horns for a second. In my post I was responding to a post about the team kneeling. You jumped to Stalin and Pol Pot. Good lord.

That's just an opinion. Hickman may be lights out for us. Those who say he is mediocre do not know that. It will be different next year. This year has been crap. There's no denying that. The two stars did not pan out, the PG needs more time and one of the transfers was very underwhelming. It became the perfect storm for a bad season. My opinion about next year is different from yours. I think we will make a run. Collins will be as good or better than Jackson and Tshebwie is not soft and can man the middle. The other guys will make improvements and we will have another signee or transfer or two. I, for one, hope they are the wings that we need.
Hickman is the 30th ranked player in his class. He's a 4* player. If you want an example of what he will be, look at Askew.

Take a look at the teams in the top 20, all of them have veteran players, there is no 4* high school kid that is going to come in and beat veteran college guards.

Collins is unpolished and Oscar is a bull that will be in foul trouble every game.

This isn’t me being negative, this is me using facts to show you what will happen if Cal doesn't bring in an elite pg. Hickman is not elite.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankUnderwood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT