ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy D said expect 7-8 new players

If Cal talks to them about weaknesses and what they must work and improve on during the offseason he is doing what all coaches do. If he tells the player about how he plans to use him next season, it is what all coaches do. And , like I said in my op he will or ,has already sent, a message to several players that they must be more aggressive , more active on offense and defense or he wont play them. I dont think he tells a player to leave but he does force them to do what needs to be done, in his eyes. Some players may want to stay and do what Cal thinks is necessary, others may decide they will never please him and decide to move on. Possibly Juzang, for instance. On this years team, Allen and Fletcher, according to many on this board , will definitely leave. I personally think they should stay, put in the time and the work and try to do what is asked of them. Obviously several of the players are just not working out this year.
I do not know why but you bring up the kneeling again. The kneeling did not impact and will never impact me , how I live or my thoughts. I understand the BLM movement and I support it. So , if that is part of your reason to fire Cal, I think it is intellectually lazy . Do you honestly think our next coach will say he is against BLM and against a peaceful protest. That is just not gonna happen. Well, maybe Bob Knight is available.
why make the kneeling comment about you? I was saying that he'd kneel with the players as a faux sign of unity but doesn't think twice about leaking to Dykes he is gonna chase off a few players for next season

why make the kneeling comment about you? I was saying that he'd kneel with the players as a faux sign of unity but doesn't think twice about leaking to Dykes he is gonna chase off a few players for next season
Dykes did not say Cal was going to chase off players. He said that Cal wanted players with more dog(?) in them and that he, Dykes , doesnt see that in this team. As far as the kneeling , you brought it up. I was just stating how totally unimportant it is to me. You seem to use it as another reason to replace Cal. Thats about it.

Reactions: clifm
Peaceful protests? What a load if garbage. Billions... BILLIONS in property damage. I am not gonna bother counting the deaths... just say 40 for argument sake. Your idea of peaceful is exactly the same as Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot.

Peaceful. Pfffttt...

Seriously man don’t bother with him. He’s truly not worth the time nor effort.

Dykes did not say Cal was going to chase off players. He said that Cal wanted players with more dog(?) in them and that he, Dykes , doesnt see that in this team. As far as the kneeling , you brought it up. I was just stating how totally unimportant it is to me. You seem to use it as another reason to replace Cal. Thats about it.

Borderline racist projection oozing from your posts. Why compare these young men to animals for your enjoyment.

They’re people bruh!

Borderline racist projection oozing from your posts. Why compare these young men to animals for your enjoyment.

They’re people bruh!
If you are referring to the Dog comment, it was from Dykes. His word for word comments made during the Mississippi game have been on several sites. I understood what he meant. Sorry you cant grasp his meaning and find something racist in it. If it is not the Dykes quote , the you will have to point it out . You may need to take a break.

Reactions: shep21754
This is exactly why many of us believe so adamantly that Allen should’ve been playing over BJ for most of the season (I was willing to give BJ a few games to figure it out... not the whole **** season).

BJ sucks and won’t be here next season. Develop Allen. Imagine getting 3 minutes while the guy in front of you gets 32 and goes 1-9. I’d pull a B Rabbit and “walk my [black] ass back across 8 mile.”
Allen?? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. This Jmeeks hasn’t watched a game all year.

your words....

"Cal also may be sending an unspoken message to some that says I prefer that you leave, and I dont mean to the draft. "

Hickman is the 30th ranked player in his class. He's a 4* player. If you want an example of what he will be, look at Askew.

Take a look at the teams in the top 20, all of them have veteran players, there is no 4* high school kid that is going to come in and beat veteran college guards.

Collins is unpolished and Oscar is a bull that will be in foul trouble every game.

This isn’t me being negative, this is me using facts to show you what will happen if Cal doesn't bring in an elite pg. Hickman is not elite.

you really can't use that comparison
Jodie Meeks was ranked #39............he was pretty good

i can give you many more examples of players listed between 25 and 40

last year was a very weak PG class
in normal years Askew should have bee ranked in the 80's

i 100% agree we need an elite PG or at least one that can break down his man

Sallis/Hardy/Keels aren’t coming so....oh no, i’m getting sick imagining a devin askew led backcourt next year.
Coach K is willing to use Nike to land players like Cade, Zion, and Hardy. Cal is not. It's why he's fallen off the rollercoaster since 2015. He can't win without elite players.

Reactions: RunninRichie
you really can't use that comparison
Jodie Meeks was ranked #39............he was pretty good

i can give you many more examples of players listed between 25 and 40

last year was a very weak PG class
in normal years Askew should have bee ranked in the 80's

i 100% agree we need an elite PG or at least one that can break down his man
Jodie Meeks wasn't a pg.

Also, Jodie Meeks wasn't very good his freshman year, he was injured most of his sophomore year and went off in his junior year. The guy I was responding to, thinks Hickman is going to take over at pg next year and fix this programs problems… ..in his freshman year.

You say you can name more players that were ranked between 25 and 40, well, go for it. SGA is one. Tyler Herro wasn't a pg and he wasn't leading the team.

Here's the thing, I most certainly CAN make that comparison, because 9 times out of 10, a player ranked from 25-40, is a 3 or 4 year kid that doesn't start to do anything until their junior year.

Here at UK, under Calipari, you have to be great from the jump, or you don't play.

If Hickman is our pg, we're in deep shit.

Post that list though.

Here are the point guards listed in the last two classes between 25-40:
Jeremy Roach (duke)
Khristian Lander (IU)
Devin Askew
Andre Curbelo (ILL)
Tre Mann (Fla)
Boogie Ellis (Memphis)
Jalen Lecque (NC state)

Are any of those guys good enough, in year 1, to run the show at UK under Cal? Uh uh.

Reactions: qwesley
Jodie Meeks wasn't a pg.

Also, Jodie Meeks wasn't very good his freshman year, he was injured most of his sophomore year and went off in his junior year. The guy I was responding to, thinks Hickman is going to take over at pg next year and fix this programs problems… ..in his freshman year.

You say you can name more players that were ranked between 25 and 40, well, go for it. SGA is one. Tyler Herro wasn't a pg and he wasn't leading the team.

Here's the thing, I most certainly CAN make that comparison, because 9 times out of 10, a player ranked from 25-40, is a 3 or 4 year kid that doesn't start to do anything until their junior year.

Here at UK, under Calipari, you have to be great from the jump, or you don't play.

If Hickman is our pg, we're in deep shit.

Post that list though.

Here are the point guards listed in the last two classes between 25-40:
Jeremy Roach (duke)
Khristian Lander (IU)
Devin Askew
Andre Curbelo (ILL)
Tre Mann (Fla)
Boogie Ellis (Memphis)
Jalen Lecque (NC state)

Are any of those guys good enough, in year 1, to run the show at UK under Cal? Uh uh.
Askew was just incredibly overrated, you also have to factor in when he reclassified they really had no idea where to rate him. The fact that he was the top PG in this upcoming class (at least in somebody’s opinion) is simply mind blowing. That does really concern me in regard to how good Hickman might be. It appears to me Askew was prob bigger and stronger than most PG’s at a young age ala Andrew Harrison thus the high ranking.

Askew was just incredibly overrated, you also have to factor in when he reclassified they really had no idea where to rate him. The fact that he was the top PG in this upcoming class (at least in somebody’s opinion) is simply mind blowing. That does really concern me in regard to how good Hickman might be. It appears to me Askew was prob bigger and stronger than most PG’s at a young age ala Andrew Harrison thus the high ranking.
In the right setting, Askew can be serviceable. There are a lot of teams out there, like Villanova, that don't have a need for a guy that can beat his man off the dribble. They run a different type of offense. Collin Gillespie is what Askew will be in 2 years.

At UK, everything is fast tracked, you have to be elite, especially at the pg spot, or every flaw is going to be highlighted.

Guys like Wall, Fox, Ulis and Knight were good enough to beat coaches and defenses that had been scouting and preparing for them all season long. It only takes 1 physical defender to neutralize Askew. He defends himself. He dribbles too much, has no forethought, waits for the trap to spring on him, can't go by anyone and he can't shoot. Hickman looks to be no different.

I want both players here, because they are 4 year kids, well, they should be. But my concern is, will they ever be good enough to play pg for Cal? I don’t think so. I don’t think either of them could beat Dominique Hawkins for that spot really. They’re all at the same level. They’re going to be selling insurance after college.

Cal can't win without elite talent at the 1 and it's proven he needs at least one more elite player in the front court. Oscar isn’t it, hopefully Collins is.

This season should have taught all UK fans a lot of things, but the fact we still have fans that think Hickman is going to come in here and do what Wall, Fox, Ulis and Knight did, is just not smart.

whats is so frustrating is we all know what Cal is capable of doing as a coach.

This year , however, showed that at least with the current setup at UK, Calipari is a very limited coach in dealing with player evaluation and adversity.

It was a horrible coaching job and he wasn't prepared for it. You can blame the pandemic for about the first month. After that, its just a worthless excuse. You're not a sub .500 team because you couldn't go bowling with the guys on Friday night.

Because he can't get a handle on the OAD situation, along with players apparently hating being here to the point they transfer - he won't be prepared for next year either.

And no one can speak with any certainty beyond that.

A traditional coach and program, you could say , well we're bad this year but give our guys 2 more years and they'll kill it

Not at UK. You can't look past the spring semester.

Hickman is the 30th ranked player in his class. He's a 4* player. If you want an example of what he will be, look at Askew.

Take a look at the teams in the top 20, all of them have veteran players, there is no 4* high school kid that is going to come in and beat veteran college guards.

Collins is unpolished and Oscar is a bull that will be in foul trouble every game.

This isn’t me being negative, this is me using facts to show you what will happen if Cal doesn't bring in an elite pg. Hickman is not elite.

Deuce McBride from WVU was ranked as a 3* outside the top 150 by Rivals? He is a stud and was very good as a freshman. Rankings aren't fool proof

Facts: Water is wet, Everyone dies, There are two genders
Opinions: Hickman is not elite and is same as Askew, Collins in unpolished, Oscar will be in foul trouble every game

Not only are these opinions but they are also predictions of what might happen in 9-10 months from now. You have no idea if Hickman is elite or not or of these other 'facts' you speak about. Your 'opinions' may turn out to be correct but they also may not. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Mehico
Dykes said Cal got caught without a PG with elite skills that can break down defenses with his driving ability.

So a question for you recruiting gurus, who is available out there that fits that role?

What HS Senior available can be that Wall/Fox type PG?

I can’t really see a transfer in that role. If you are an elite PG at the college level you are probably thinking NBA next season not changing schools.

Deuce McBride from WVU was ranked as a 3* outside the top 150 by Rivals? He is a stud and was very good as a freshman. Rankings aren't fool proof

Facts: Water is wet, Everyone dies, There are two genders
Opinions: Hickman is not elite and is same as Askew, Collins in unpolished, Oscar will be in foul trouble every game

Not only are these opinions but they are also predictions of what might happen in 9-10 months from now. You have no idea if Hickman is elite or not or of these other 'facts' you speak about. Your 'opinions' may turn out to be correct but they also may not. Time will tell.
Good luck with your thoughts, hopes and dreams. I've seen enough the last 12 years to know better.

Dykes said Cal got caught without a PG with elite skills that can break down defenses with his driving ability.

So a question for you recruiting gurus, who is available out there that fits that role?

What HS Senior available can be that Wall/Fox type PG?

I can’t really see a transfer in that role. If you are an elite PG at the college level you are probably thinking NBA next season not changing schools.
I think Pippen Jr is the best option, but that's if he decides to transfer.

Every time we reset the roster, we lose ground to all the teams that have veteran rosters that have played together for years.

If you watch Baylor play, you see a team that is like a well oiled machine. They’re all well coached and they have a flow to their offense that we have never had under Cal.

If you reset your roster and you don't fill it up with transcendent AND highly skilled veterans, you aren't going to fair very well against veteran teams, which, if you look at our tournament losses in the Cal era, you can easily say that a lack of experience, was our downfall.
This. We never have ANY chemistry. That’s especially true on the offensive end. Our offense looks like a clown show every year! Every single year. Sometimes we have an elite PG that makes it appear somewhat better. Usually via the pick and roll.

You’re a short sighted fool. Give an argument for why Boston deserves to play 32 minutes a game.
Because Boston is a better player with tons more potential. He's bigger and longer for defense. He's a better defender. He's better at everything than Allen except the set shot and when he finds his footing, he'll be better at that too. If you can't see that poor Allen struggles to even have a clue of what's going on out there, well, I don't know what to say.

Reactions: Rockfly78
It's so hard to say at this point because we have no clue what the roster will look like which I know is your point. Obviously Cal can put together a hell of a roster real quick, Cal must get at least 2 studs that we clearly don't have at this point at PG and SG, no doubt about that, I think the pieces should be in place at the 3 through 5.

2010 Cal needs to come thru a time machine and bitch smack 2021 Cal and show him how to put together that boss roster real quick.

I pull for Allen but we just have a different opinion on comparing Meeks and Allen. Meeks was a gifted athlete. Dontae is athletic but on a much lower level. Meeks was very aggressive offensively and defensively. Allen is a spot up shooter that can not create his own shot, (Yet). He is also a defensive liability (right now), not forever. I agree DA will get better. With hard work and drive he will be a good player , maybe by next year although I dont believe he will ever be anything close to Meeks . I do hope he stays.

Meeks had an all around game even his first two years and he developed that lethal 3 point shot by his Junior year.

Because Boston is a better player with tons more potential. He's bigger and longer for defense. He's a better defender. He's better at everything than Allen except the set shot and when he finds his footing, he'll be better at that too. If you can't see that poor Allen struggles to even have a clue of what's going on out there, well, I don't know what to say.
What has he done to prove that potential. Name me one aspect of the game he is good at right now. Just one thing you can count on him to contribute every night on the court. And if you say defense again I’ll know you’re full of it.

even if Boston somehow magically this great, unseen potential (despite sucking at every aspect of the game while here) why would you play him over Allen on an 8-15 team? Are you trolling me? The season is doomed. Develop next years roster now. Get Allen, Toppin, and Ware playing 30 minutes a game. Those are the only 3 players we really have a shot at getting back. Mintz, Sarr, BJ, Clarke, Jackson, Brooks all gone. Despite never really contributing to UK in a meaningful way...

if you still think BJ has potential you’re the one who isn’t watching games and is just reading the articles. Stay in your lane and go cheer on the NBA. The Cat fans are talking here.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyFaninNC
Meeks had an all around game even his first two years and he developed that lethal 3 point shot by his Junior year.
Meeks was not a good player his first two years here. Look up his stats and be amazed. But he was allowed to play through mistakes and develop far more than Allen which contributed to his amazing junior year

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I sure wish Jackson would come back one more year, he still has a lot to learn, he got called today on two moving screens again. Why do him and Sarr keep doing that, do they know what the rule is. It didn't matter today but that's been going on all year.

I'm a UK fan with a brain, you're a UK fan that is oblivious.
I'm far from oblivious. If you were truly a UK fan, your hopes and dreams would also be for UK to be good. I've been a UK fan since 1971. I was wiping my hands on my socks as a 6 year old like Kyle Macy and most kids in Kentucky did before free throws. Now you may be older and can remember the championship teams from the 40's and 50's for all I Know. If you are, then you are old enough to understand that every year is not going to be great or even good. This year sucks. I understand that. I don't like the way things have been with system either. I still say time will tell if next year will be good or not. We have 8 championships and 17 final fours in 118 years of basketball. Some years just aren't good and I realize this has been one of the worst. UK's numbers are still better than everyone else. I'm not your enemy if you are a UK fan. I'm just trying to say that we don't yet know how next season will be and I hope you are wrong with your prediction.

Imagine reading something that wasn’t there. I never said he’d be as good as Meeks. But I do believe Allen would’ve become a special player if he gotten treated fairly.

Fyi, Meeks averaged 8.7 ppg, 41.9% fg%, and 36.4% 3fg% his freshman year. He also got to play 22.1 mpg. His sophomore year? Not so good. 8.8ppg, 30.7 fg%, and 32% 3fg%. 23.2 mpg.

We all know what happened his junior year. Maybe try focusing on the main point of peoples‘ posts instead of trying to cherry pick for gotchas. My main point, which was abundantly clear, guys need game clock to develop. And when the guy playing 32 minutes goes 1-9 and Allen gets 3 minutes that ain’t fair and it drives guys to transfer.

I maintain my position that Allen would’ve been a special player by his junior or senior season with fair treatment and good coaching. His measurables are better than Meeks and his skill set is fairly similar at the same point in their careers.

You missed the point of my post completely. They don't belong in the same discussion. All I hear for Allen on this board are excuses and blaming the coach. Any fair minded objective person will quickly realize how ridiculous that is.

I hope Allen stays and proves me wrong but I don't see a whole lot there. He isn't really contributing and I can't blame the coach for that.

h
You missed the point of my post completely. They don't belong in the same discussion. All I hear for Allen on this board are excuses and blaming the coach. Any fair minded objective person will quickly realize how ridiculous that is.

I hope Allen stays and proves me wrong but I don't see a whole lot there. He isn't really contributing and I can't blame the coach for that.
i missed the point of your post? You’re the one who put in words in my mouth. Might want to take a look in the mirror there pal.

During the game he said he talked to Cal before the game and he expects a new roster of 7-8 players for next year and players that will play hard and make shots. Makes me wonder who recruited the kids we have now? Who stays?

In retrospect, this is my biggest takeaway from last season unfortunately... Jimmy got this straight from Cal, clearly.

During the game he said he talked to Cal before the game and he expects a new roster of 7-8 players for next year and players that will play hard and make shots. Makes me wonder who recruited the kids we have now? Who stays?
You sure it was not you?

Meeks was not a good player his first two years here. Look up his stats and be amazed. But he was allowed to play through mistakes and develop far more than Allen which contributed to his amazing junior year
Jodie Meeks was actually named to the freshman All-American team by at least one publication his freshman year. So, not true that he was “not a good player”.

Reactions: EliteBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT