ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy D said expect 7-8 new players

I agree with you but it is what it is at this point, do you invest in Askew for the next 3 years or go after the best PG or PG's you can for next year. I am sure there are 5 PG's somewhere out there that will be instant stars next year, Cal needs to get his shit together and get one of them.

"Is what it is" is my concern. I'm not sure we put a contender on the floor next year, either. Because of the imminent roster holes and what is going to actually be able to fill them. I won't say "I don't think we'll be better" because for crying out loud we are 8-15 so we will certainly be better next year. But I don't see us being able to patchwork together a roster that gets us anything better than a 5-7 NCAA tournament seed type team, at best.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
"Is what it is" is my concern. I'm not sure we put a contender on the floor next year, either. Because of the imminent roster holes and what is going to actually be able to fill them. I won't say "I don't think we'll be better" because for crying out loud we are 8-15 so we will certainly be better next year. But I don't see us being able to patchwork together a roster that gets us anything better than a 5-7 NCAA tournament seed type team, at best.
It's so hard to say at this point because we have no clue what the roster will look like which I know is your point. Obviously Cal can put together a hell of a roster real quick, Cal must get at least 2 studs that we clearly don't have at this point at PG and SG, no doubt about that, I think the pieces should be in place at the 3 through 5.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Cal's system works when he has 1 or 2 studs. His problem now is the recruiting landscape has changed and it is not as easy to get a couple top 10 guys every year anymore. On top of that he does not talk kids into staying that should stay but instead assumes he will just get someone better next year. Look at all of the teams who have juniors and seniors leading them deep into the tournament. They were hardly contributors in years 1-2. Sure a transfer every year is not unexpected at every program, but pushing kids out after ONE season is just not how college basketball works.

I remember him saying that, but I think he was mistaken. I think what he meant to say was "expect 7-8 players to leave."
Then won’t he reload with what is left on the market? I was hoping that 7-8 would return, but then I realized how silly that was to bring back these guys, there not Robots... we need Robots!!

During the game he said he talked to Cal before the game and he expects a new roster of 7-8 players for next year and players that will play hard and make shots. Makes me wonder who recruited the kids we have now? Who stays?

If we have that much turnover then I'm going to join the Cal moving team. I'm willing to give him this year, but if we have a terrible year with a young team that struggles and isn't a top 3 seed then I'm out. (of course what I think won't matter to anyone but myself but that's life)

I agree with you but it is what it is at this point, do you invest in Askew for the next 3 years or go after the best PG or PG's you can for next year. I am sure there are 5 PG's somewhere out there that will be instant stars next year, Cal needs to get his shit together and get one of them.

I agree. I believe you will see many, many players in the transfer portal and there is already some quality talent available. After next weeks conference tournaments I think you will see more players seeking transfers and then again, after each week of the NCAA. Askew will have a more limited role next year but I hope he stays and develops. He may be a very good, junior.
Hickman will probably win out over Askew but we may have even better ones on the team by May.

Cal also may be sending an unspoken message to some that says I prefer that you leave, and I dont mean to the draft. He knows he missed on player evaluation this season so he will do anything to correct the mistakes. I have always thought Allen would stay but now, I am thinking he goes into the portal.
He has sent this message to Allen all season long!! He doesn’t want him here. I’ve seen it as have others, all season. But when mentioned we are told “ this isn’t the university of Dontaie Allen” or some stupid crap. I personally wasn’t just mad about Allen not playing as much as I was about knowing Cal was running him off.
He’s been a smartass all year about Allen and the Miss St game burned Cal’s ego.
So he’s made it a point to prove he was right all along. Screaming “shooot” when he’s not even set. Now he gets in a couple of times a game right before a media timeout to give someone an extended breather and then he’s out.

I agree. I believe you will see many, many players in the transfer portal and there is already some quality talent available. After next weeks conference tournaments I think you will see more players seeking transfers and then again, after each week of the NCAA. Askew will have a more limited role next year but I hope he stays and develops. He may be a very good, junior.
Hickman will probably win out over Askew but we may have even better ones on the team by May.
Yes, there are already kids out there, KSR did a good article on kids available, again it is just a question of Cal and staff landing the right player. I think Mintz is a good player and has helped the team, I know for a fact that there were other options out there, especially kids that were more PG than combo or SG that Cal didn't take last year. I mean clearly Cal should have taken Mintz and a PG in retrospect.

He has sent this message to Allen all season long!! He doesn’t want him here. I’ve seen it as have others, all season. But when mentioned we are told “ this isn’t the university of Dontaie Allen” or some stupid crap. I personally wasn’t just mad about Allen not playing as much as I was about knowing Cal was running him off.
He’s been a smartass all year about Allen and the Miss St game burned Cal’s ego.
So he’s made it a point to prove he was right all along. Screaming “shooot” when he’s not even set. Now he gets in a couple of times a game right before a media timeout to give someone an extended breather and then he’s out.
I agree to some extent. Until the last two weeks Dontae was averaging 16.7 minutes per game. In all honesty he didnt make the most of his time. I pull for him but outside of being a good spot shooter, he has many holes in his game. I hope he stays, works hard and develops a more aggressive style but I am guessing he will be leaving.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
McClung was available and by all accounts wanted to come here. But would he be having the same success here? Heck no!!! He would be on the bench getting a few mins a game while while Cal lives up to the promises he’s made other players.

Cal’s whole system has to change. The days of having a roster like 2010 & 2015 are over. He’s going to have to coach, work, teach, and build a team over a few years. And i personally don’t think he’s up to it or wants to.

I really hope I’m wrong.

Who? Hardy isn’t coming. Sallis isn’t coming. Keels is 50/50. Where are the surprise players? More grad transfers from ham sandwich university who averaged 12ppg on 34% from the field in the lunch conference?

I'm actually pretty excited for next season. Consider that Mintz may come back, who is one of our better players and the only one who appears to care about losing. Thiebshe, Collins (Who is either going to be just as good as Jackson or better). Don't count Sallis out of the picture, I think he ends up coming. Then add just some reliable shooters. Also, Toppin year two is exciting. Dude looks really good compared to where he was. Clarke may decide to come back as well. Next years team will be sooo much better. Cal is not going to have a rerun of this year, I can guarantee it.

I'm actually pretty excited for next season. Consider that Mintz may come back, who is one of our better players and the only one who appears to care about losing. Thiebshe, Collins (Who is either going to be just as good as Jackson or better). Don't count Sallis out of the picture, I think he ends up coming. Then add just some reliable shooters. Also, Toppin year two is exciting. Dude looks really good compared to where he was. Clarke may decide to come back as well. Next years team will be sooo much better. Cal is not going to have a rerun of this year, I can guarantee it.
Sallis isn’t coming already spoke to an insider. I like your optimism tho.

Allen is only role player now. Imagine him as a senior if actually got to play. Jodie Meeks wasn’t breaking records his freshman season either. Or his sophomore season. Allen would’ve been special (maybe not Meeks special) by his junior/senior season imo.

Allen doesn't belong in any discussion of Meeks. Meeks had skills that Allen can only think about.

To translate what Dykes said in a professional manner for telecast:

Askew is awful and needs to be replaced and fact he went on and on is more of How the **** did this guy ever get to Kentucky?

Sarr is a P***y and can't win with guys like him

BJ Boston is a bust and he can't play.

Mintz tries hard but should never be starting at Kentucky

Jackson would've been outstanding on a typical Kentucky team

Brooks is a good 4 yr player who thinks he's a 2 yr player

Toppin has a chance

Allen is a good role player who somehow doesn't play on a team who can't shoot
He didn't sugarcoat his view on Askew.

Allen is only role player now. Imagine him as a senior if actually got to play. Jodie Meeks wasn’t breaking records his freshman season either. Or his sophomore season. Allen would’ve been special (maybe not Meeks special) by his junior/senior season imo.

I compare Allen to Darius Miller. He should be on a similar path. Miller was a non-factor as a Freshman. A decent role player as a Soph. A starter as a Junior. Then a key piece to a great team as a Senior.

Allen won’t ever be a “carry you every night” type player.

Agree. He's limiting him to only jacking up contested threes, and that gives him the excuse to take him out when they don't fall. He does nothing else to get the guy a shot. Have we ever set a ball screen for Allen? Why not do a pick and pop with him and Sarr? People act like the guy is a complete non athletic stiff who can't do anything else. Certainly not the case from what little I've seen and from his AAU tape.

At any rate, it doesn't matter. He's gone and should be. He'll get a chance to develop under a coach who makes player development a priority.

Earth shattering news from Dykes as good or bad we have that type of turn over nearly every single year.

Allen doesn't belong in any discussion of Meeks. Meeks had skills that Allen can only think about.
Imagine reading something that wasn’t there. I never said he’d be as good as Meeks. But I do believe Allen would’ve become a special player if he gotten treated fairly.

Fyi, Meeks averaged 8.7 ppg, 41.9% fg%, and 36.4% 3fg% his freshman year. He also got to play 22.1 mpg. His sophomore year? Not so good. 8.8ppg, 30.7 fg%, and 32% 3fg%. 23.2 mpg.

We all know what happened his junior year. Maybe try focusing on the main point of peoples‘ posts instead of trying to cherry pick for gotchas. My main point, which was abundantly clear, guys need game clock to develop. And when the guy playing 32 minutes goes 1-9 and Allen gets 3 minutes that ain’t fair and it drives guys to transfer.

I maintain my position that Allen would’ve been a special player by his junior or senior season with fair treatment and good coaching. His measurables are better than Meeks and his skill set is fairly similar at the same point in their careers.

Reactions: Pickle_Rick
I compare Allen to Darius Miller. He should be on a similar path. Miller was a non-factor as a Freshman. A decent role player as a Soph. A starter as a Junior. Then a key piece to a great team as a Senior.

Hard to say. I don’t outright reject the comparison to Miller though. But Jodie was pretty meh his freshman year, borderline bad his sophomore year, and then BAM POY candidate his junior year.

Either way he would’ve been a special player here by his junior/senior year with fair treatment and good coaching.

To Cal it’s not him, it’s his players this year. He’s made that clear. So that’s why they’re saying expect 7-8 new players next year, because he wants this crop gone and bring in a new one. When he does that, don’t expect anything to change. He will continue to coach the way he does, because it’s not his fault... it’s the players.

If true that Cal plans on having 7 to 8 new players then I am guessing that Toppin, Ware, Askew, Fletcher? and maybe Mintz are our only returning players. Cal also may be sending an unspoken message to some that says I prefer that you leave, and I dont mean to the draft. He knows he missed on player evaluation this season so he will do anything to correct the mistakes. I have always thought Allen would stay but now, I am thinking he goes into the portal.
that's our messaging now? I messed up in evaluating you so I'm asking you to leave the program and go play somewhere else?

players first my ass

Matt Jones mentioned this today.. he said 8 new players and assumes Toppin for sure stays. That makes 9 scholarship players. Who are the final 1-3 who stay from this group? It is getting frustrating to see this year after year. Cal needs to commit to developing these 4-5 stars who aren’t instantly NBA ready

That requires too much actual coaching. It's easier to bring in all these top recruiting classes, win 30 games, and keep us happy....

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I agree to some extent. Until the last two weeks Dontae was averaging 16.7 minutes per game. In all honesty he didnt make the most of his time. I pull for him but outside of being a good spot shooter, he has many holes in his game. I hope he stays, works hard and develops a more aggressive style but I am guessing he will be leaving.
and what has bj done?

To Cal it’s not him, it’s his players this year. He’s made that clear. So that’s why they’re saying expect 7-8 new players next year, because he wants this crop gone and bring in a new one. When he does that, don’t expect anything to change. He will continue to coach the way he does, because it’s not his fault... it’s the players.

Then he will be gone after next season and the problem will correct itself. BBN will not accept two shitty seasons in a row. Cal will survive this season, unless he just decides to move on himself. Winning the title in 2012 and the success he had here between 2010 and 2015 has bought him that much slack. But if he stays and craps the bed again next season, he will be history at UK. It is up to Cal at this point if he wants to cement his status as a legend at UK or be remembered as the guy who ultimately failed at UK worse than Tubby Smith. Hell, even Billy Gillispie, who spent most of his final season here practicing intercourse and intoxication had a much better record than this UK team.

Askew’s ceiling is low. He will never possess the attributes of a high level point guard. We need to go all in in a stud.

Darius has always been athletic. He suffered from severe lack of confidence. Allen has a single skill, but he is not an explosive athlete. What he does, he does slowly. Projecting based on measurables is a fool’s errand.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
Not a lot but neither has Dontae. If you are asking which one I would play most, it is BJ. BJ has been disappointing from what I expected but he is much better than Dontae .
They both should be good players by now. Dontae would be a lot better if he got 20 minutes every game!

that's our messaging now? I messed up in evaluating you so I'm asking you to leave the program and go play somewhere else?

players first my ass
Cal is not going to ask them to leave the program but, like every year, he will sit down with each player to discuss their future. The fact that he gave doofus Jimmy Dykes info, knowing Dykes would reveal that info on national television, is sending a message to fans and ,I suppose, to players that a change is coming. If Cal is honest with every player about their future why isnt that players first?
They both should be good players by now. Dontae would be a lot better if he got 20 minutes every game!
Well maybe . He was averaging 16.7 minutes before the last couple weeks. He is 41% from 3 for the season. 32% from 2 and 6 of 9 on free throws. 41 from three is good but his other stats are very weak. Why would you play him more ?

no one is now

fan enthusiasm for the program isn't going to improve next year

This is the long and short of it. Fan enthusiasm is literally (not up for debate) at its lowest point in program history, or at least since 1939 when the NCAA tournament started. That fact alone is disgraceful when we have the highest paid coach in our history.

Fan enthusiasm was always the ONE THING that defined us as Kentuckians. And Cal has managed to destroy it. It’s unfathomable. To not even know when our next game is or who it is against? To not even know the players stats? This when We used to plan weddings, funerals, and even childbirths around UK games? It’s just sad. And shocking.

You don't have to watch.

So nobody is supposed to ever discuss the downward trajectory of the program according to you and the beta clowns who liked your comment @jameslee32 <— boss beta.

I mean do you really think being displeased with how our program is doing makes you a “bad fan”? You do understand you can be critical of the coach and his current model and want better and you still are a fan, right?

Last edited:
Imagine reading something that wasn’t there. I never said he’d be as good as Meeks. But I do believe Allen would’ve become a special player if he gotten treated fairly.

Fyi, Meeks averaged 8.7 ppg, 41.9% fg%, and 36.4% 3fg% his freshman year. He also got to play 22.1 mpg. His sophomore year? Not so good. 8.8ppg, 30.7 fg%, and 32% 3fg%. 23.2 mpg.

We all know what happened his junior year. Maybe try focusing on the main point of peoples‘ posts instead of trying to cherry pick for gotchas. My main point, which was abundantly clear, guys need game clock to develop. And when the guy playing 32 minutes goes 1-9 and Allen gets 3 minutes that ain’t fair and it drives guys to transfer.

I maintain my position that Allen would’ve been a special player by his junior or senior season with fair treatment and good coaching. His measurables are better than Meeks and his skill set is fairly similar at the same point in their careers.
I pull for Allen but we just have a different opinion on comparing Meeks and Allen. Meeks was a gifted athlete. Dontae is athletic but on a much lower level. Meeks was very aggressive offensively and defensively. Allen is a spot up shooter that can not create his own shot, (Yet). He is also a defensive liability (right now), not forever. I agree DA will get better. With hard work and drive he will be a good player , maybe by next year although I dont believe he will ever be anything close to Meeks . I do hope he stays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT