ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Meyer Predicting Murray to UK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Labissiere is a better rounded than Okafor IMO. Though he will not have the body to push players around in the post. on the other hand he can shoot the three, and handle the ball and make free throws . We will all just have o sit back,take a deep breath and see how the summer plays it self out.

The number 1 player in the country; I have no worried about Skal. He will deliver and be Cal's next great big man. I don't think I'm reaching either.

jarrod ‏@jhardy575 1h1 hour ago

@MoonShine11361 using what I hear and making a prediction off some things taking into consideration becausehe isn't visiting oregon this wk. I think he maybe a little behind.

Skal is a lot stronger than people think, look at his arms, they are a lot bigger than Davis was his freshman year. And as far as the rankings go with Murray, he is no longer a 4 star, he is a 5. And remember that the guys that rank these players are not the end all be all, they are wrong more than they are right. Eric Bledsoe was ranked in the 30's, and he ended up better than most of the guards in his class besides Wall. Murray is a beast, I think he and Briscoe are head and shoulders above the rest of the guards in this class. Murray has nasty athleticism, and is a scorer. That's what we need. Ulis along with Murray and Briscoe, with Poythress and Skal is a final 4 lineup. I like the fact that Cal is bringing in scorers, instead of position or roll players.

Skal is a lot stronger than people think, look at his arms, they are a lot bigger than Davis was his freshman year. And as far as the rankings go with Murray, he is no longer a 4 star, he is a 5. And remember that the guys that rank these players are not the end all be all, they are wrong more than they are right. Eric Bledsoe was ranked in the 30's, and he ended up better than most of the guards in his class besides Wall. Murray is a beast, I think he and Briscoe are head and shoulders above the rest of the guards in this class. Murray has nasty athleticism, and is a scorer. That's what we need. Ulis along with Murray and Briscoe, with Poythress and Skal is a final 4 lineup. I like the fact that Cal is bringing in scorers, instead of position or roll players.

It's even worse than that with Bledsoe. He was not even in ESPN's Top 100. Bilas had Paul Biancardi today and was fawning all over him. If he couldn't see that Bledsoe was one of the top 100 players that year, then he's an idiot.

Reactions: Tyblue22
I think there are alot of National Recruiting Experts out there that believe like the supposed North Carolina post that Murray is doing all he can to get to reclassify to 2015 class. We all have to remember this didn't start up until after the break out game in the Nike Classic All-Star Game scoring 30 and in the same game Skai scored 23. Those 2 Murray and Skai were the best players on the court that day. After the game is when the Big Schools starting contacting Murray. Before the Nike Classic the school that was the most interested was Oregon for 2016. There were no talks then about Murray reclassifying until the huge game in the Nike Classic. I believe when Coach Cal and Payne went to Canada is when he discussed hard with Murray about reclassify to 2015 and play for UK and get to the NBA in 2016. That is all we have heard from Murray after the bigger schools started reaching out was to reclassify and get to be the #1 player selected in the 2016 NBA Draft. Murray had talked about also if he couldn't reclassify was to go the same route that Mudiay did at SMU and go OverSeas and play one year and then come back to the NBA the next year. So, I really believe like the UNC post above that Murray wants bad to reclassify to 2015 and play at UK and get to the NBA in 2016 as a top pick. Also, look at Coach Cal's 6 years success getting all these players to the NBA either at #1, Top 10, or Lottery Selection. I would think Murray is trying his best to get to reclassify to 2015 and go to UK.

Reality is that Cal has been two games from a title in 2015 and six minutes from a title in 2014.

He was also two free throws from a title in 2011 (Butler would have lost to UK).
I don't understand why anyone would bet against Cal winning a second title when the reality is that he won one a few years ago and is almost always competing for a title in the Final Four. You make it sound like he's coaching Indiana.
Cal had had more than enough talent to have multiple titles on his resume, yet he only has one; that is a problem. In 2012, had we not had the 2 best players in college basketball, we would have let Kansas come all the way back instead of them just making a big run as they did. I like Cal a lot and hope he can stay here for 20 more years and win us 2 or 3 titles, but the bottom line is his track record makes makes me skeptical.

Reactions: kyups01
Cal had had more than enough talent to have multiple titles on his resume, yet he only has one; that is a problem. In 2012, had we not had the 2 best players in college basketball, we would have let Kansas come all the way back instead of them just making a big run as they did. I like Cal a lot and hope he can stay here for 20 more years and win us 2 or 3 titles, but the bottom line is his track record makes makes me skeptical.
Anyone who says we have not blown opportunities are just in denial. We should have no less than 2 more titles under Cal...hell we GAVE Uconn two and basically handed Duke theirs last season. We would have crushed Duke and everyone knows it...not talking away from Wisconsin but....

I really want Murray but Jerry Meyers doesn't know his
moon2.gif
from a
Soil-Hole-29752.jpg
I agree, but Jerry Meyer does. We'll see.

Anyone who says we have not blown opportunities are just in denial. We should have no less than 2 more titles under Cal...hell we GAVE Uconn two and basically handed Duke theirs last season. We would have crushed Duke and everyone knows it...not talking away from Wisconsin but....
Just stupid to say we would have "crushed" Duke. At the end of the year Duke was playing the best basketball of any team in the country.

Reactions: Neue Regel
Just stupid to say we would have "crushed" Duke. At the end of the year Duke was playing the best basketball of any team in the country.

Absolutely. Duke would have probably beat UK the way they were playing, in addition to the calls they would have got. If UK had won it would have been a tight affair like the ND and Wisconsin games were.

Name a coach who has won more titles in their first six seasons as head coach of a program?

Four Final Fours in six seasons is the best start for a coach in school history.

I think he is doing a pretty good job.

Name a coach who has won more titles in their first six seasons as head coach of a program?

Four Final Fours in six seasons is the best start for a coach in school history.

Give it up. He and a few other posters here are the stereotypical UK fans who are satisfied with nothing but titles. Doesn't matter that the standard they have for Cal is higher than any other coach around except for K. No amount of rational arguments gets through to them.

Absolutely. Duke would have probably beat UK the way they were playing, in addition to the calls they would have got. If UK had won it would have been a tight affair like the ND and Wisconsin games were.

When Bilas was filling in for Jones the other day, he said he thought if UK had beat Wisconsin then they would have beaten Duke. Said they were a much tougher matchup for Duke than Wisconsin.

Again, you value final fours, I value titles.

Again, you value final fours, I value titles.
Another one of those posters who had no interest in being part of the Kentucky basketball fan base while the team was going 38-0. Look at his sign-up date: After the Wisconsin game. That says it all to me. Why would somebody not seek out this board during the historic season to enjoy the excitement, but would then come here to spread misery after a loss? I think that answer is obvious. It is not a coincidence that the April, 2015 joiners are consistently miserable and negative.

Anyone who values titles and nothing else will be unhappy most of the time - no matter who they cheer for.

There exists this incredibly idiotic premise among a portion of our fan base that our program has no competition. That we either win it all or blow it, with no in between.

Really, really dumb.

I've been watching for 34 years and I haven't seen an unbeatable team yet.

2012 was about as good as it gets, but a healthy UNC would have given us all we wanted.

We had a great college team this year, but in all honesty so did Duke and Wisconsin.

We have competition. It's fun to be in the mix, but we will never win them all. Nobody does.

and "know it all's" like you do to

Take of the blue sunglasses, be honest & realize that Cal should have 3 more titles under his belt..............1 @ Memphis & 2 @ UK........
yes he is doing a great job @ UK but he has let opportunities slip away

What coach hasn't let opprtunities slip away? Coach K didn't win a title with his most talented team ever. It happens!

But if you're saying you're disappointed in the job Cal is doing your just "fill in the blank"

First off, the word retarded is uncool. Secondly, if you're attempting to insult someone's intelligence, you may want to check "your"self prior to posting.

Well...as much as you take offense at the word retarded, I take offense at our fanbase when they're critical at an unbelievable 6 seasons Coach Cal has provided. Not to mention the guy has had to work his rear off & produce a new team almost every season. What he has done & the way he has done it is REMARKABLE!!

I'd just like to see our fanbase quit being so ignorant & show a little respect to a coach that has earned it.

Reactions: Lumpy 2
Murray tweeted tonight there will be be more visits. Good time in Oregon. Like his dad said earlier it will be two months for a decision and multiple visits. They are in no hurry.

What coach hasn't let opprtunities slip away? Coach K didn't win a title with his most talented team ever. It happens!

But if you're saying you're disappointed in the job Cal is doing your just "fill in the blank"

Which Duke team is that? 98-99? I guess that is who you refer to, or maybe 01-02, but that same group (the ones that mattered) won it all in 2000-2001, so they did in fact win a title for K. 99 Duke was a great, but UCONN was vastly underrated...they lost 2 games all year, and won an epic close game with Duke that could have went either way. There are a lot of similarities to that Duke team losing to UCONN to UK to Wisconsin this year IMO. Both opponents were better than others thought.

Reactions: Neue Regel
"Should" have multiple titles is an interesting stance. The 2014 and 2011 teams were very fortunate to even make it to the Final Four.

An excellent team may have a 30% chance to win the tournament, like the 2012 team. Last season's team was an anomaly, projected as high as 40+% chance to win the whole thing according to some methods. Between the two, one should expect less than 1 championship. The field is just much more likely to win the championship than the favorite in any given year.

"Should" have multiple titles is an interesting stance. The 2014 and 2011 teams were very fortunate to even make it to the Final Four.

An excellent team may have a 30% chance to win the tournament, like the 2012 team. Last season's team was an anomaly, projected as high as 40+% chance to win the whole thing according to some methods. Between the two, one should expect less than 1 championship. The field is just much more likely to win the championship than the favorite in any given year.

Not if it's not in God's Plan, Fatguy.

How many titles did Dean Smith have at UNC , he had 1 more than Cal does now except he was there for 36 seasons vs Cal's 6. Cal will surpass that if he stays another 10yrs.

Reactions: jarms24

You are correct. He has had enough talent to have won multiple titles. However, your take is incredibly shortsighted. There are at least 6 to 8 teams every year that have enough talent to win it all. Thing is, only one of those teams can. It takes talent and luck to go all the way in a single elimination tourney. Rarely, does the overall number one seed actually cut down the nets.

It is a numbers game. You have to take your team deep into the tourney to have a shot. If a coach can get his team there on a consistent basis the numbers are going work in his favor and he will eventually get that title. Cal has had us right there almost every year he has been here. He has had UK in the hunt more than any other coach anywhere else the past six years.

Our talent has been over the top but it comes with an asterisk. It is also very young and that works against you in several ways. You can argue that he would be better off with less talent that stayed longer and matured. However, it is hard to make that argument based on the Cal's track record and making that argument also negates your point that he should win based on the talent alone.

Cal's tourney success is pretty equivalent to or slightly better than that of Pitino's when he was here, better than Tubby, Hall, Sutton or Gillespie, and better than 31 of Rupp's 41 seasons. Rupp's 10 year stretch between 1948 and 1958 is the only period in our 100+ year history that would top the six seasons that Cal has presided over this program.

I think I will take my chances with Cal.

and "know it all's" like you do to

Take of the blue sunglasses, be honest & realize that Cal should have 3 more titles under his belt..............1 @ Memphis & 2 @ UK........
yes he is doing a great job @ UK but he has let opportunities slip away
Going back 40 years, to Indiana 1975, or 30 years if you prefer, to Georgetown 1985, the favorite has probably won the tournament about a quarter to a third of the time, by my reckoning -- that includes Kentucky in 78, 96 and 12. It is hard to do. More overall 1 seeds don't win than do.

Watching you guys try to reason with joester reminds me of that video I saw once of a dog trying to go through a door with a huge stick in his mouth. No matter how many times the stick blocked his entrance, he just kept trying over and over. So cute.

Just for some perspective.

Cal at UK - 1 title in 6 years = 16.7%
Coach K at Duke 5 titles in 34 years = 14.7%

Not saying that Cal is a better coach than K but based on the numbers, bitching about the job he is doing should be ban worthy.

You are correct. He has had enough talent to have won multiple titles. However, your take is incredibly shortsighted. There are at least 6 to 8 teams every year that have enough talent to win it all. Thing is, only one of those teams can. It takes talent and luck to go all the way in a single elimination tourney. Rarely, does the overall number one seed actually cut down the nets.

It is a numbers game. You have to take your team deep into the tourney to have a shot. If a coach can get his team there on a consistent basis the numbers are going work in his favor and he will eventually get that title. Cal has had us right there almost every year he has been here. He has had UK in the hunt more than any other coach anywhere else the past six years.

Our talent has been over the top but it comes with an asterisk. It is also very young and that works against you in several ways. You can argue that he would be better off with less talent that stayed longer and matured. However, it is hard to make that argument based on the Cal's track record and making that argument also negates your point that he should win based on the talent alone.

Cal's tourney success is pretty equivalent to or slightly better than that of Pitino's when he was here, better than Tubby, Hall, Sutton or Gillespie, and better than 31 of Rupp's 41 seasons. Rupp's 10 year stretch between 1948 and 1958 is the only period in our 100+ year history that would top the six seasons that Cal has presided over this program.

I think I will take my chances with Cal.
I respect your opinion, but to say that mine is shortsighted is being a bit hypocritical on a number of fronts. There are by no means 6 to 8 teams every year that have had the talent that Cal has had on numerous occasions. It would be fine if one or two years he had the best talent and did not win it all, but this has happened way more than that. I have always defended Cal to haters, but not winning it this year was the straw that broke the camels back for me. This team should have been champions, as should have 2010, 2008 Memphis team; and in both 2011 and 2013 we were the most talented team in the final four and could not win either one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT