ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Meyer Predicting Murray to UK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
U guys can get all over Murry, yea he's good.........................But Maker is the player that will be the one to get us back to final four. Him and Skal together, lots of blocked shots.

No way that Maker makes a bigger impact than Murray. Just don't see that happening at all. If Maker does come, he coming in the middle of the year and I doubt very seriously that he makes much of an impact. Also, I hope you aren't basing your opinion on the his mix tape from YouTube cause if so, I think you'll be disappointed in his skill set at the moment. Thon has tons of potential and lots of talent but he is very very raw in his skills. He needs to gain a lot of weight and needs to be coached to develop into his potential. I just don't see that happening if he comes mid year like he stated would happen. By the time he comes, he will be so far behind in everything that the team does and I don't see him getting enough practice time and coaching in that time period to make a huge impact. He may play but I don't believe he would be a difference maker like Murray can be on this team. I'd love to see Maker come to UK midyear and then stay for a sophomore season. Thats when I think he could make a huge impact for us but I doubt that happens. He probably goes somewhere for the spring semester then declares. To be fair, I honestly don't see Wynyard making much of an impact this year either. I just think when you are talking freshman coming in, unless you are the elite of the elite prospects, then they need a lot more practice, coaching, and minutes than they would receive in just that 1 semester. There's just no way that Maker makes more of an impact on this team than Murray who will be here for the full year if he comes. JMO.

Reactions: brianpoe
I don't know what kind of trolling you guys have seen, but I've yet to see it here. If I'm gonna troll UL's board I'm gonna make a splash. I'm gonna make a thread saying so and so tears ACL, and get everybody all tore up for a minute or 2. Something like that's trolling.

The most "effective" trolls are more subtle than that. There are trolls on this site with thousands of posts. The kind of troll you're talking about doesn't last 5 minutes.

Every school except U of L.
Said every uncommitted player in the Spring of 2015.

If you think our Spring has been "horrible", just imagine what it's been like for UofL fans.

Every legit player from their team leaves and they can't even get so much as a visit from any of the elite players who were looking for a home this spring. I'm not talking about landing them, they can't get them to CONSIDER them.

No way that Maker makes a bigger impact than Murray. Just don't see that happening at all. If Maker does come, he coming in the middle of the year and I doubt very seriously that he makes much of an impact. Also, I hope you aren't basing your opinion on the his mix tape from YouTube cause if so, I think you'll be disappointed in his skill set at the moment. Thon has tons of potential and lots of talent but he is very very raw in his skills. He needs to gain a lot of weight and needs to be coached to develop into his potential. I just don't see that happening if he comes mid year like he stated would happen. By the time he comes, he will be so far behind in everything that the team does and I don't see him getting enough practice time and coaching in that time period to make a huge impact. He may play but I don't believe he would be a difference maker like Murray can be on this team. I'd love to see Maker come to UK midyear and then stay for a sophomore season. Thats when I think he could make a huge impact for us but I doubt that happens. He probably goes somewhere for the spring semester then declares. To be fair, I honestly don't see Wynyard making much of an impact this year either. I just think when you are talking freshman coming in, unless you are the elite of the elite prospects, then they need a lot more practice, coaching, and minutes than they would receive in just that 1 semester. There's just no way that Maker makes more of an impact on this team than Murray who will be here for the full year if he comes. JMO.

Remember this too, when Cal and the assistants talk about adding another guy or two this year ("late") they are referring to Murray of course, but they are telling you "late" because the plan is as long as Murray still comes, we could either bring in Maker or Wynyard in December. Also remember this, with Wynyard, he could actually come sooner than December and practice. I think with Murray in fold, the chances of adding Maker increase dramatically. And make no mistake, Thon Maker can play. He is the type of guy who will be much better in college than in AAU. Meaning, his game "translates", which is the key scouting term. He more than held his own against Skal. And his upside is great. However, his people will send him to the draft after that semester. So, do we want that? Or, Taj for a semester, and then another full year? The answers is already made. Taj is just waiting on Cal to tell him. He is ready to come, but with recruiting, and scouting, its better to have him wait, and finish up getting Murray on campus, and then "start recruiting" Thon Maker.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
Remember this too, when Cal and the assistants talk about adding another guy or two this year ("late") they are referring to Murray of course, but they are telling you "late" because the plan is as long as Murray still comes, we could either bring in Maker or Wynyard in December. Also remember this, with Wynyard, he could actually come sooner than December and practice. I think with Murray in fold, the chances of adding Maker increase dramatically. And make no mistake, Thon Maker can play. He is the type of guy who will be much better in college than in AAU. Meaning, his game "translates", which is the key scouting term. He more than held his own against Skal. And his upside is great. However, his people will send him to the draft after that semester. So, do we want that? Or, Taj for a semester, and then another full year? The answers is already made. Taj is just waiting on Cal to tell him. He is ready to come, but with recruiting, and scouting, its better to have him wait, and finish up getting Murray on campus, and then "start recruiting" Thon Maker.
+1

I respect your opinion, but to say that mine is shortsighted is being a bit hypocritical on a number of fronts. There are by no means 6 to 8 teams every year that have had the talent that Cal has had on numerous occasions. It would be fine if one or two years he had the best talent and did not win it all, but this has happened way more than that. I have always defended Cal to haters, but not winning it this year was the straw that broke the camels back for me. This team should have been champions, as should have 2010, 2008 Memphis team; and in both 2011 and 2013 we were the most talented team in the final four and could not win either one.

Are you talking about paper talent?
A green wet behind the ears freshmen is very rarely better than lesser talented but older experienced battle hardened junior or senior.
If you do not have a balanced team then it's hard to win, we were not balanced this ear as we relied heavily on the inside game and the D was starting to sag to the middle to deny the post.
It takes hungry players who are hitting shots to win a title. We did not have that many times and it knocked us out.
Look at those games we played and most of em we got behind big time because we were tight and our eyes were big.

I agree that slowing the ball down this year killed us against a Wisconsin team that was a damn good team. Should have pushed the pace as they were struggling and winded. But all this has been discussed adnausium and should be opened up in another thread. Or you could post in the thread preacher tom started for the bashing of Cal to be kept in that thread.

And to the poster who said that Duke was playing the best ball of the season, did not Duke lose to ND to end their ACC tourney play? Did not Duke look to be getting ready to be blown out by Wisconsin before the whistles started blowing?

To me we were just another really good team among the likes of ND, Duke, Wisconsin, Arizona etc.

We were very fortunate to beat teams like LSU, Florida and Georgia in sec play and ND in the NCAA tourney. We looked like the premier team in the country playing the best ball in the land after our stellar sec tourney play and the blasting we gave Cincy.
When you look back on those games their is no doubt when we ran with the ball we were the best team in the country bar none. It was when we played slow it allowed other teams to hang around or get good looks at the basket and get a lead on us if we weren't hitting shots.
When Georgia spread the court on us and was hitting those back doors and we made no adjustments whatsoever on D to stop it it would be our undoing. And it was.
Look for more of that in the future against our style of D we play, if Cal refuses to switch up his D. Then that will be something we will be seeing in the future. Just like teams zoning us.
It was easy to stop it but yet we refused to stop manning up.

Reactions: brianpoe

I am pretty sure that Wynyard is still in HS, so I doubt he could come in until December. He is set to graduate in December.

Remember, the seasons are reversed in the Southern Hemisphere. Winter starts next week in New Zealand, so he is finishing up his first semester of his Senior year.

If he comes in August it's because he graduated mid-year (like a December graduate here in the US). There has been no mention of that.

I think a lot of people fail to understand that he is in school right now and not on summer break like the kids in the US. This is why he could start in December. Their school year ends in December and summer break starts in December for them.

At least that is how I understand it to work.

How about you name a coach that has had as much talent as Calipari has had in their first 6 seasons? Oh...that's right, you can't because it's never happened!!

Just how do you define talent? Are you talking battle hardened warriors on the court or some fresh faced scared freshmen who was highly ranked in HS but is overwhelmed a bit. ?

We have inked some outstanding classes but that is in HS not college. If they did a ranking service for college guys those 5 star guys would be dropped down to 3 stars on the way many of them play. Why is that? No experience.
Did Orton play like a 5 star in college? Hell no but he got drafted on just potential now he is in China.
Does a top 10 draft pick play like he is one of the top 10 players in the nba? Hell no why is that? Because their green and many times they don't pan out. Takes a while for many of them to get going and many times they never get going. Now if a top 10 lottery pick cannot dominate from day 1 in the nba how come you think a HS kid is going to step foot on campus and dominate everybody? We run very simple basic offense and defense, why is that? Because were green every year.

Look at the turn around In The wins and losses department from '14 to '15. How did that happen? We had more experienced players that's how.
Next season if we kept this team together they would probably run the table and be even more dominate.

I've never been a fan of kids declaring if they are not dominate players in college or top 10 pick by evaluations by the GM's
If we were able to retain the twins, Lyles, Dakari and Booker I think we would even better than last season. But that's just me on kids declaring too early and taking to much of a risk. If your a second round pick you have no guarentee money. They can draft you and let you go and ur screwed.

I am pretty sure that Wynyard is still in HS, so I doubt he could come in until December. He is set to graduate in December.

Remember, the seasons are reversed in the Southern Hemisphere. Winter starts next week in New Zealand, so he is finishing up his first semester of his Senior year.

If he comes in August it's because he graduated mid-year (like a December graduate here in the US). There has been no mention of that.

I think a lot of people fail to understand that he is in school right now and not on summer break like the kids in the US. This is why he could start in December. Their school year ends in December and summer break starts in December for them.

At least that is how I understand it to work.

I did not say anything about August my friend. I understand how it works

The school year ends around December 15th. He should be good to go, anytime after that.

He said Wynyard could actually come before December to practice. That is what I did not understand.

U guys can get all over Murry, yea he's good.........................But Maker is the player that will be the one to get us back to final four. Him and Skal together, lots of blocked shots.

I agree with post on Maker but Murray is a must!!!

My concern with Maker is that he will be coming in December. A player of his caliber coming in mid season might disrupt the rotation. This kid is going to expect to play 20+ minutes per game. If he comes in and takes minutes away from Labissiere, Poythress, and/or Lee it could affect chemistry.

That is why I would prefer Wynyard. Wynyard will not cut into any of those main guys minutes. If he plays at all, it's when we have foul trouble and the only person's minutes he steals is Willis.

I didn't mean to diminish Makers capabilities, only to say that he isn't the phenom that his mix tape makes him out to be at this point. Not sure I can remember a player who has been built up in lore like Maker. He is a great talent and oozes potential and I would absolutely love to have him for that semester and another year. I think he could be a beast in that second year of coaching and physical maturity. However, you're exactly right in his handlers are never going to allow that to happen unfortunately. Referring back to the post I quoted, I definitely think Murray would have a much more significant impact for us than Maker would next season.

Reactions: Tyblue22
I didn't mean to diminish Makers capabilities, only to say that he isn't the phenom that his mix tape makes him out to be at this point. Not sure I can remember a player who has been built up in lore like Maker. He is a great talent and oozes potential and I would absolutely love to have him for that semester and another year. I think he could be a beast in that second year of coaching and physical maturity. However, you're exactly right in his handlers are never going to allow that to happen unfortunately. Referring back to the post I quoted, I definitely think Murray would have a much more significant impact for us than Maker would next season.
Where are you getting that his handlers won't allow him to play a second year?
http://www.scout.com/college/indiana/story/1548813-report-maker-would-spend-1-1-2-yrs-on-campus

yes i support his post .

He very well may be a troll, who knows, but to tell someone to go die and to be quick about it is absolutely disgusting and appalling. How can you support that post? I know you are passionate, as am I, but come on....his post is pathetic. Like I said, he may be a troll, I don't know. I know that I strongly disagree with his view of Cal and some other view points but that doesn't mean that I would ever say to go die and be quick about it. Its just simply disgusting and has no place here or anywhere else for that matter.

Where are you getting that his handlers won't allow him to play a second year?
http://www.scout.com/college/indiana/story/1548813-report-maker-would-spend-1-1-2-yrs-on-campus

Oh! wow! That would be really good for him and i hope it is true. My statement just stems from things that i have read and gathered, nothing concrete and i think it was more of an opinion. From what I had read from several sources, he was reclassifying to get to the draft after next year. I think that was the original plan but after discovering his academic situation and how long it would take him to get his work done just to reclassify, they opted for this year and half deal. From what I heard and read, many didn't even believe he would be able to reclassify because of his academic situation and so it was thought that he would remain in 2016 until he did announce his intentions.
I actually think that's a great plan for him and I hope he sticks to it. Like my post stated, I think he would be so far behind the curve coming in the spring , that he could really benefit from the extra year and it would only put him back on his original track before the reclassification. I wouldn't be surprised to see more players explore an option like this. I think it makes sense.
Thanks for posting this and bringing it to my attention. Looks like his people have their heads on straight after all. That will only benefit Thon and he could really explode in that 2nd year.

Last edited:
He very well may be a troll, who knows, but to tell someone to go die and to be quick about it is absolutely disgusting and appalling. How can you support that post? I know you are passionate, as am I, but come on....his post is pathetic. Like I said, he may be a troll, I don't know. I know that I strongly disagree with his view of Cal and some other view points but that doesn't mean that I would ever say to go die and be quick about it. Its just simply disgusting and has no place here or anywhere else for that matter.

Really? I mean you really think he wants that guy to go and die? That is how you take things on a message board? How about, many of us would like the monitor joe5612 to just die, and the guy behind it just leave? Better?

I like many, if not most of your posts, but if you can't tell someone like joe is here to cause issues and you take posts like the one above literally then you need to sharpen your message board acumen brother.

Reactions: Xception
I should stop clicking on this thread, but I keep thinking there's gonna be something about Murray

Same thing I was thinking. I click on here hoping to hear something new about Murray but just keep seeing people arguing with each other and calling each other names, pretty juvenile posts really. Almost wish the Mods would close this thread so someone could start a new one that has valid discussion about Murray in it.

Same thing I was thinking. I click on here hoping to hear something new about Murray but just keep seeing people arguing with each other and calling each other names, pretty juvenile posts really. Almost wish the Mods would close this thread so someone could start a new one that has valid discussion about Murray in it.

I wish Mods also close this thread. I think that everyone want Murray on this year team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT