ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Bidwell (99.5 Paducah sports radio) show this morning

Macy's socks

Senior
Nov 29, 2009
Paducah
I try not to listen to this turd as he normally has a weird fixation on Emma Talley (local female pro golfer) but sometimes I'm limited as my radio at work won't pick up any other signal. This morning he and his co-host were absolutely hammering the UK fanbase over the constant conspiracy theories that we put out, the Higgins hate, and even the Buffalo coach's comments about Cal. They were also very negative towards Cal and his dislike of the usual NCAA seeding process.

Now I get it and agree to some point that there are some vocal bad apples that make us all look bad. These two Murray State homers went on for about 5 minutes over how bad the UK fanbase is and how horrible we look publicly. Again I can see their point but to spew such vitriol when we are all in Kentucky kinda aggravates me. You would think Myron Metcalf writes for their show. They are usually whining themselves about how UK steers clear of playing Murray State although it's common knowledge around here that MSU demands a home and home and UK is never coming to Murray unless the team bus gets lost on the way to San Antonio.

Sorry for the rant but I wanted to share some hate coming from a radio show that should be pro-UK or at least neutral. Ryan Lemond is a recurring guest on this show, I wonder if he would continue that role if he knew how negative these guys are towards UK in general?

#kysportsradio

@kysportsradio

(hope I did that tagging right lol)

Last edited:
This morning he and his co-host were absolutely hammering the UK fanbase over the constant conspiracy theories that we put out, the Higgins hate, and even the Buffalo coach's comments about Cal. They were also very negative towards Cal and his dislike of the usual NCAA seeding process.
giphy.gif

I'm surprised Jennifer Rukavina lets him go on like that about Emma. They do have a Murray State slant on things. If Murray wants to play Kentucky they need to do what every other OVC school does, come to Rupp. They are finally going to play in football so maybe basketball is next.

Reactions: Macy's socks
I'm surprised Jennifer Rukavina lets him go on like that about Emma. They do have a Murray State slant on things. If Murray wants to play Kentucky they need to do what every other OVC school does, come to Rupp. They are finally going to play in football so maybe basketball is next.

There are some really strange local stories about that marriage but I won't go into details as I would be passing on hearsay but I agree. I questioned him on Facebook over this infatuation with a high school teenager (at the time) and darn if he didn't respond to it within 15 minutes on the show. I just stated mentioning her several times PER SHOW was a tad stalkerish and apparently struck a chord lol.

They were really ragging on us in general this morning. I guess I'm think skinned about my hometown sports show pounding on UK. Yes we have our silly quirks but leave the insults to those outside the Commonwealth and off a Kentucky based sports show.

Sounds like a bitter tool...but, UK fans have taken the conspiracy stuff to another level as of late. It is a bit embarrassing at times.

I quit reading when you said Murray State. Most unrational fan base in all of Kentucky and that says a lot. Their hatred toward UK is at an unhealthy level. They are a mid-major at best. Small penis syndrome.

There are some really strange local stories about that marriage but I won't go into details as I would be passing on hearsay but I agree. I questioned him on Facebook over this infatuation with a high school teenager (at the time) and darn if he didn't respond to it within 15 minutes on the show. I just stated mentioning her several times PER SHOW was a tad stalkerish and apparently struck a chord lol.

They were really ragging on us in general this morning. I guess I'm think skinned about my hometown sports show pounding on UK. Yes we have our silly quirks but leave the insults to those outside the Commonwealth and off a Kentucky based sports show.
Who is his team?

I'm a Murray grad and there is a SMALL SMALL SMALL subset of Murray fans who just hate UK. They won't say it, but they cannot stand being overshadowed. They are angry that their own city and campus care more about UK games than Murray games. Ive seen years where there were bigger parties for UK watch parties than there were for Murray tournament games.

In the old days, Murray was on par with WKU and UofL before Denny. But as time has gone on, Murray has been left in the dust and is not 4th in the state in terms of popularity. For a mid-major, Murray has excellent traditions....but all the OVC titles in the world just don't matter when it comes to Final 4's and National titles.

Once WKU went to bigger conferences and started winning in football, it just made the fanbase angrier and angrier. I hope they move to the MVC one day, but Murray is just not close to the other guys. If EKU ever moves to the Sunbelt and into the FBS, it will make it worse.

I quit reading when you said Murray State. Most unrational fan base in all of Kentucky and that says a lot. Their hatred toward UK is at an unhealthy level. They are a mid-major at best. Small penis syndrome.

You have a great point. I worked/lived in Murray and went to Murray, always wondered why the ill will that is thick in the air. Funny thing is the community despises the college kids even though the college keeps that town in business.

You have a great point. I lived in Murray and went to Murray, always wondered why the ill will that is thick in the air. Funny thing is the community despises the college kids even though the college keeps that town in business.
Oh yeah, a town stuck in the 1950's. They really aren't fond of the outside world and expansion. The college could be much bigger, but the city likes their own space...even though the college is the town.

There are neighborhoods of old houses right on campus deemed "family zones" where they will ban and evict college students of living. The county just went wet in 2012.

The reality that the NCAA, ESPN etc. play favorites and have biases, hardly makes it "conspiracy theory." It's just an observational fact that plays out nearly every year. I mean the same people whining about our "conspiracy theories," and "whining" are now the same one's whining about our path that has opened up, and why should they even care or worry about our random good fortune?
Oh, that's right, they have a bias against Kentucky.

Oh yeah, a town stuck in the 1950's. They really aren't fond of the outside world and expansion. The college could be much bigger, but the city likes their own space...even though the college is the town.

There are neighborhoods of old houses right on campus deemed "family zones" where they will ban and evict college students of living. The county just went wet in 2012.

Bingo! I spent 4 years in college (BS and MA) and 6 more years as a municipal employee there and was always considered an outsider. I'm a Paducah native too, not like I am from way up North.

Bingo! I spent 4 years in college (BS and MA) and 6 more years as a municipal employee there and was always considered an outsider. I'm a Paducah native too, not like I am from way up North.
And you hear that story over and over about how they do not treat outsiders with respect. Make you feel uncomfortable until you leave. They have this superiority mindset that is delusional. They think they are a national powerhouse too.

The weirdest part is how its a small county, but they have two schools who DO NOT associate with each other. They act like they are offended that you would think they know someone that went to the "other" school.

There is so much wrong in this thread I don't even know where to start.
  1. Bidwell - yeah, I'm sure he's a Murray homer but that's his market and the local University.
  2. Murray never demanded a home/home with UK. That's one of the biggest urban legends going back to the days of Popeye Jones and Pitino.
  3. HoptownCat clearly has issues from his/her time in Murray. Yes, there is Murray HS and Calloway Co HS - huh, just like Hoptown and Christian County. They are rivals for sure but you're so off base on the nonsense about not associating with the other.
  4. Murray has a rich tradition and they are certainly proud of it. Football was very good but hasn't been the same in the last 15 years. Basketball has always been strong but doesn't get the respect many feel it deserves and that's the huge shadow of UK.
  5. Finally, we are talking about a part of the state that often gets overlooked due to the geography and lack of a big city in the area. The University has grown quite a bit but not as fast as WKU and EKU and that again has a lot to do with the lower population base in the area. It's a great place to live, excellent schools, safe, college town, etc...
OK, go Cats!

It's the first rule of radio. If you don't have enough homers in your base actually listening to the show, you boost ratings by stirring the hornet's nest.

So, what happened to his Racers over the weekend? They got slaughtered by West Virginia (a team UK beat in Morgantown) by 17. So, he's already sour and he also knows his entire fan-base doesn't want to talk about it or hear about it on a Monday morning. So, what does he do? He goes the other direction and slams the team of the people who actually ARE still thinking about basketball.

He would probably say he's a marketing genius. It may be his highest rated show of the year that generated the most calls.

I wouldn't give it a second thought. He's clearly just stirring the nest. He has nothing to lose now that Murray is toast. :sunglasses:

There is so much wrong in this thread I don't even know where to start.
  1. Bidwell - yeah, I'm sure he's a Murray homer but that's his market and the local University.
  2. Murray never demanded a home/home with UK. That's one of the biggest urban legends going back to the days of Popeye Jones and Pitino.
  3. HoptownCat clearly has issues from his/her time in Murray. Yes, there is Murray HS and Calloway Co HS - huh, just like Hoptown and Christian County. They are rivals for sure but you're so off base on the nonsense about not associating with the other.
  4. Murray has a rich tradition and they are certainly proud of it. Football was very good but hasn't been the same in the last 15 years. Basketball has always been strong but doesn't get the respect many feel it deserves and that's the huge shadow of UK.
  5. Finally, we are talking about a part of the state that often gets overlooked due to the geography and lack of a big city in the area. The University has grown quite a bit but not as fast as WKU and EKU and that again has a lot to do with the lower population base in the area. It's a great place to live, excellent schools, safe, college town, etc...
OK, go Cats!

Have you ever lived in Murray? There is very little wrong with this thread, all the comments so far are dead on.

And yes Murray has requested a home/home. I even heard that on Bidwell's show. I agree with the rest of your thoughts though.

Reactions: HoptownCat93
Have you ever lived in Murray? There is very little wrong with this thread, all the comments so far are dead on.

And yes Murray has requested a home/home. I even heard that on Bidwell's show. I agree with the rest of your thoughts though.

Yep, grew up in Murray and have family there. My nephews go to Murray HS and my brother in law teaches in the Calloway system. I'm very familiar with the dynamics of this community so yeah, I would stand by my statement.

I'd be interested in someone finding an article about the demand of a home/home. I remember there was talks of why UK/Murray never played in basketball and when Pitino was at UK he made some comment like, 'I have no interest in playing Murray while Popeye Jones is there'. Coach speak and blah, blah but he said something to that affect.

Yep, grew up in Murray and have family there. My nephews go to Murray HS and my brother in law teaches in the Calloway system. I'm very familiar with the dynamics of this community so yeah, I would stand by my statement.

I'd be interested in someone finding an article about the demand of a home/home. I remember there was talks of why UK/Murray never played in basketball and when Pitino was at UK he made some comment like, 'I have no interest in playing Murray while Popeye Jones is there'. Coach speak and blah, blah but he said something to that affect.
I loved going to Murray State, did not have one bad experience. The college is amazing. The city is another story. Once again, you are an INSIDER telling us OUTSIDERS that our opinions are not valid. I lived there and worked there for 7 years, so my opinion is just as valid as yours. You are more prone to bias because you did grow up there, but people from outside of the community will tell you why several of us have the opinion of the community.

Your response to me in that previous post is just a prime example of how outside opinions of Murray are just people with an agenda because of a bad experience. No, I would love to live there if it was financially smart for me...but there are issues with how the community views the college and outsiders coming in and taking jobs.

I loved going to Murray State, did not have one bad experience. The college is amazing. The city is another story. Once again, you are an INSIDER telling us OUTSIDERS that our opinions are not valid. I lived there and worked there for 7 years, so my opinion is just as valid as yours. You are more prone to bias because you did grow up there, but people from outside of the community will tell you why several of us have the opinion of the community.

Your response to me in that previous post is just a prime example of how outside opinions of Murray are just people with an agenda because of a bad experience. No, I would love to live there if it was financially smart for me...but there are issues with how the community views the college and outsiders coming in and taking jobs.

OK. I know Murray has it's cliques - always has but many places are like that. I've been in Atlanta for 25 years now so I'm not in Murray a lot. I had a lot of friends growing up with parents working at the university and as the largest employer there are and always will be people from 'somewhere else' just like any college. Take care - I'm hoping to see the Cats here in Catlanta on Thursday/Saturday.

I was the Parks Director there, rebuilt the Department from the ground up including the large playground, disc golf course, sprayground and dog park as well as the Christmas Lights program. After 5 years, I stepped on two local set of toes and someone local wanted my job so they gave it to him 2 days after Christmas. I did nothing wrong, just told a few they couldn't have priority access to the ballfields and that was it for me. I loved Murray until that. Yes I'm still bitter, I tend to hold a grudge longer than I should :sunglasses:

I knew the current AD at MSU and he too told me about the home and home. He wasn't for it but higher ups won't let it die.

The problem with Bidwell is that he and WPSD and the new bunch have chosen Muray St. even though most Paducah and W. Ky fans are UK fans. There is a small 20% of Murray folks that hate UK same as 20% of Bowling Green/WKU fans. More UK fans in Murray probably than Murray fans, the ones that root for UK and also root for Murray and have no problem but they root for big team and Murray is local and hope they do well.

You get that 5000 every game of MSU lovers.
Marshall and Calloway fans are UK fans for most part, Paducah and rest of area UK fans.

Jeff Bidwell unlike the old WPSD crew that showed delayed games at 10:30, sponsored coaches shows etc.. were all Big Blue. It is still that way in community as far as fandom, UK still top dog but Bidwell and Sports dept. have made this decision to throw weight to MSU.
He personally does not like UK and the fact that none of the games are on NBC or delayed then makes no difference.
Last year Murray St, UL, SIU and UK played. Jeff did the UK score behind Murray and UL, UK barely beat out SIU. That is Jeff being an ass and doing it to be petty. Terrible sports dept. and not a very good station at all.
Sorry

He personally does not like UK and the fact that none of the games are on NBC or delayed then makes no difference.
Last year Murray St, UL, SIU and UK played. Jeff did the UK score behind Murray and UL, UK barely beat out SIU. That is Jeff being an ass and doing it to be petty. Terrible sports dept. and not a very good station at all.
Sorry

Good deal then it's not just me. I mostly listen to Ky Sports Radio, which is on right after Bidwell so I catch the tail end of his show often. He has been degrading towards UK in the past and I thought "why would he say that" about one of the teams that pay his bills? I'm just not used to a Kentucky-based sports show disrespecting the program and the fan base on the air. Not to mention his creepy side...

They are going for a very small and particular market. Today you have to go for the audience you can get.... lots of small pieces out there.

Good luck to them.

Change the station is my advice.

The problem with Bidwell is that he and WPSD and the new bunch have chosen Muray St. even though most Paducah and W. Ky fans are UK fans. There is a small 20% of Murray folks that hate UK same as 20% of Bowling Green/WKU fans. More UK fans in Murray probably than Murray fans, the ones that root for UK and also root for Murray and have no problem but they root for big team and Murray is local and hope they do well.

You get that 5000 every game of MSU lovers.
Marshall and Calloway fans are UK fans for most part, Paducah and rest of area UK fans.

Jeff Bidwell unlike the old WPSD crew that showed delayed games at 10:30, sponsored coaches shows etc.. were all Big Blue. It is still that way in community as far as fandom, UK still top dog but Bidwell and Sports dept. have made this decision to throw weight to MSU.
Sorry
I can defend Bidwell/WPSD on this front, they are the ONLY source that covers Murray State basketball. UK is just about on every highlight show around the area...and nationally. Every UK game is on national TV. UK has several websites/reporters dedicated to their cause.

For those of us outside of Murray that want to keep up with the Racers, WPSD is the only source of information. I think its a good thing they cover them so well.

The market for UK and B.B. is pretty big. I would say the w ky market is one of strongest for ksr.

Jeff makes decisions because he does not like UK, he leads and talks Murray and UL to be spiteful.
Back in old days with 3channels the UK score would lead telecast and delay on.
This is his decision, more Murray sponsors. Delayed And live UK basketball was most expensive advertising at station, coaches shows was big.

The market for UK and B.B. is pretty big. I would say the w ky market is one of strongest for ksr.

Jeff makes decisions because he does not like UK, he leads and talks Murray and UL to be spiteful.
Back in old days with 3channels the UK score would lead telecast and delay on.
This is his decision, more Murray sponsors. Delayed And live UK basketball was most expensive advertising at station, coaches shows was big.
In the days of Racer Arena (which I loved) it was ridiculous. Now Murray has MTSU and Auburn playing in the Bank. A Murray/UK home and home is not going to happen, but Murray's current arena is a nice place. It could serve as a good place for MVC schools to visit, but the place doesn't have the capacity I think UK wants. Also, nothing to gain as UK doesn't do home/ home with anybody but U of L. UK has a ton of fans in and around Murray. Some like me would HATE to see one beat the other, so I'm fine with them not playing. Let's go beat UL, WKY, EKY, NKU instead.

The selection committee conspiracy stuff is outright ridiculous. If you think the committee takes the time to "screw" anyone, you're delusional. Those dudes are trying to seed 68 teams, pick 30-something at-large teams, and make everything fit with sites. They don't have time to screw anyone. Besides, if the committee is trying to screw Kentucky, they've done a piss poor job. Since Cal arrived at UK, nobody has won more NCAA tournament games than the Big Blue!

As for the officiating stuff, there isn't a fan base anywhere that hasn't bitched and moaned about the zebras.

GBB!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT