ADVERTISEMENT

Cal and the NBA

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Cal has somewhat of a reputation of getting players ready for the next level. My question: is that really true?

Yes, UK has plenty of former players in the NBA. But, is that because Cal prepared them or they were just that physically talented?

Consider:
1. Very few former Cats hit the NBA and make a splash immediately. Most of them that stick around begin to show their stuff in years 3+. Other programs have rookies who look like they belong almost immediately.
2. Obviously the UK players aren't taught much about fundamentals. As seasons wear on, we see the same poor shot selection, defensive lapses, inability to adapt to in-game situations, no ability to attack or play a zone defense, unwillingness to block out effectively, etc.
3. UK does not play an NBA system - how is our system preparing them for the next level?

I've heard this comment about Cal a long time but I'm not sure it's accurate. He recruits NBA level talent but it's almost always several years into their pro career before they blossom. Perhaps the OAD philosophy is to blame. But even the few players who stick around for several years don't seem to improve with age (there are some exceptions).

Reactions: KailuaCat
It's not accurate. Every one of those players would have gotten there if they went to a different school. And most of them weren't even all that successful here.

Cal use to get guys with talent and determination, it dropped off after 2017. This year was the best it’s been in awhile, but the lack of x and o’s has been significant.

Think about this, the highest draft pick he has had the last 3 years was a guy who couldn’t bother to take his warm ups off.

All college coaches draw players from the same pool, and Coach K had just as many 4 & 5 stars as Calipari. There were far more 5 star players who turned Calipari down and who didn't wind up doing anything.

"Not doing much here" is a function of the fact that they were freshman or sophomores. Nobody emerges from college the player that they eventually become. Jordan didn't. Curry didn't.

BTW:

The most negative fantasies of Calipari's motivations don't become fact by being repeated. Or by being sneered.

And if you can’t see fundamentals being taught and every player improving you are more than blind.
aAVvWMo_460s.jpg

And if you can’t see fundamentals being taught and every player improving you are more than blind.
Aaaaaand where has this gotten us?

Have you seen our win/loss records over the last few years? Have you forgotten about our tournament flops since 2021?

I don’t care about how you think he’s teaching fundamentals and they are improving. If it doesn’t result in wins, it means nothing to any UK fan. Proof is in the pudding - and Cal’s pudding is moldy.

You think we're better right now at defensive switches, handling the press, pick and roll defense, out of bounds plays, etc than we were in November? Then you're seeing things literally no one else is seeing.

You believe Wagner is a better player after almost a full year? Did Devin Askew improve? A ton of examples of guys who didn't get better.

Are we better at end of game situations?

I think you're seeing what you want to see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT