ADVERTISEMENT

What fanbases will show up in Pitt?

WeWant9

Senior
Dec 18, 2013
An interesting location for the teams playing in Pitt.

1st Session: Creighton vs Akron/South Carolina vs Oregon

2nd Session: UK vs Oakland/Texas Tech vs NC State

Creighton was in Denver last year for their opener, and I was impressed with how they traveled. Not sure it’ll be the same due to location, but they probably dominate that first session. I can’t see any of the other 3 having much fan support.

BBN will show up as usual, but I can see NC State having a decent group after their ACC title run.

Anyone going? What are tix looking like?

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Akron is the only school even within earshot of Pittsburgh.

May get a few Oakland fans that drive over from Detroit.

I wouldn't expect much from Oregon, USC, Tech or Creighton. Maybe a small turnout for NC State as it's also not too far, and their fans have to be juiced after that 5-game run and a chance to face Kentucky.

Then of course UK will be in the house - bunch of old folks that will travel, but mainly transplants to the area.

Of course then there are the other teams' fans that always root for the underdog upset special, especially when it's Kentucky on the floor.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
I was glad we got Pitt. 5 hour drive from east KY, shouldn't be hard to get to. Expect a good fan turnout.

Oakland might have 6 fans. TTU, just can't see a football team in Texas traveling to to the north east for a 6-seed basketball team. NCstate might have some turnout. But again, it's not all that close and they were missing the tournament 3 days ago.. so how many fans took off of work Thursday and Friday, last minute, to drive 8+ hours to watch an 11 seed?

Oakland should have a decent sized fan base, they aren’t too far from Pitt

Nope, I found out yesterday while listening to the post-announce chatter on CBS.

Not a huge fan of UK getting to play a school that's actually a little closer to Pitt than us. Plus Oakland ain't a small school. 13k under grad.

They might actually have the most fans of the three schools. Which would be interesting what happens if they lose that first game.

Reactions: westerncat
Not a huge fan of UK getting to play a school that's actually a little closer to Pitt than us. Plus Oakland ain't a small school. 13k under grad.

They might actually have the most fans of the three schools. Which would be interesting what happens if they lose that first game.
A lot of cheap tix for the second round game.

Edit: I'm not ashamed to say up until about 90 seconds ago, I thought Oakland played in California.

Lol, I can't be the only one here..
I actually thought they were from Pittsburgh. I remembered the school wasn't in California, but couldn't remember where it was from. Oakland is the name of the neighborhood where the University of Pittsburgh is, and their student section is called the Oakland Zoo.

When I didn't see anyone complaining about the committee basically giving us an away game I realized I got my non-California Oaklands mixed up.

Edit: I'm not ashamed to say up until about 90 seconds ago, I thought Oakland played in California.

Lol, I can't be the only one here..
Way back in USENET days, I had an exchange with someone from Oakland (MI) and I made some joke about it. Not the first joke of mine to backfire.

From that day to this past weekend, I don't think I ever heard another mention of Oakland University.

I was glad we got Pitt. 5 hour drive from east KY, shouldn't be hard to get to. Expect a good fan turnout.

Oakland might have 6 fans. TTU, just can't see a football team in Texas traveling to to the north east for a 6-seed basketball team. NCstate might have some turnout. But again, it's not all that close and they were missing the tournament 3 days ago.. so how many fans took off of work Thursday and Friday, last minute, to drive 8+ hours to watch an 11 seed?
I’d assume NCSU will have a great turnout.

Akron is the only school even within earshot of Pittsburgh.

May get a few Oakland fans that drive over from Detroit.

I wouldn't expect much from Oregon, USC, Tech or Creighton. Maybe a small turnout for NC State as it's also not too far, and their fans have to be juiced after that 5-game run and a chance to face Kentucky.

Then of course UK will be in the house - bunch of old folks that will travel, but mainly transplants to the area.

Of course then there are the other teams' fans that always root for the underdog upset special, especially when it's Kentucky on the floor.
Pittsburgh is about a 6 hour drive from Lexington, closer to Eastern KY and Northern KY. Anything you can drive in the morning and be there in the early afternoon will get plenty of Cat fans.

So you hope our team plays and doesn't have many fans there? What a great fan of the program you are.
When fans save up money (which many don't have as much of these days) to go watch the team play in tournaments and they proceed to sh*t the bed in their first game, it isn't worth the investment anymore. Especially when the coach has other priorities that don't align with what most fans want out of their program. Not showing up is the strongest message that can be sent. Save that money for something more important.

I'm done supporting this program financially. When I don't get much enjoyment out of it anymore, then I refuse to contribute to it's downfall. There are a lot of others just like me out there. If we don't make it out of the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament, the size of the disgruntled fans will continue to grow.

• Sad
Reactions: catben
When fans save up money (which many don't have as much of these days) to go watch the team play in tournaments and they proceed to sh*t the bed in their first game, it isn't worth the investment anymore. Especially when the coach has other priorities that don't align with what most fans want out of their program. Not showing up is the strongest message that can be sent. Save that money for something more important.

I'm done supporting this program financially. When I don't get much enjoyment out of it anymore, then I refuse to contribute to it's downfall. There are a lot of others just like me out there. If we don't make it out of the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament, the size of the disgruntled fans will continue to grow.
your ticket will just go to a BBN fan that does care
you will not be missed

Reactions: davtay and TexKat
Here’s the breakdown

UK fans 35% the rest and local people watching bb 65%. Maybe we can get up to 50% if there’s a Saturday game

I actually thought they were from Pittsburgh. I remembered the school wasn't in California, but couldn't remember where it was from. Oakland is the name of the neighborhood where the University of Pittsburgh is, and their student section is called the Oakland Zoo.

When I didn't see anyone complaining about the committee basically giving us an away game I realized I got my non-California Oaklands mixed up.
I thought the exact same thing at first.

So, answer my question. Do you hope fans don't show up to support our team?

Then quit posting until there is a new coach. See how easy that is? The rest of us will watch the tournament even though we don’t like Cal.

So, answer my question. Do you hope fans don't show up to support our team?
I believe I already said not showing up will send the biggest message that the fans expect more. That's what it took in football against Vandy to get a change.

I believe I already said not showing up will send the biggest message that the fans expect more. That's what it took in football against Vandy to get a change.
It won’t send any message that will make any difference. As in zero difference. The buyout isn’t tied to attendance of a game played in Pittsburgh or any other site in the tournament.

Then quit posting until there is a new coach. See how easy that is? The rest of us will watch the tournament even though we don’t like Cal.
I may not financially support the program anymore but I still hope the players win in spite of Cal and I will keep posting. Never said I wasn't watching. I just hope more people watch from home as well.

If you are broke you shouldn't be wasting money going to a sporting event anyways IMO.

UK fans are always going to support the team in the ncaa.

I may not financially support the program anymore but I still hope the players win in spite of Cal and I will keep posting. Never said I wasn't watching. I just hope more people watch from home as well.
Makes absolutely no sense. It’s the players the fans are encouraging not Cal. He doesn’t give a rat’s ass if any UK fans are there. He has UK by the balls whether anyone goes to the tournament games or not.

So is that what you want to happen? The fans not show up? It is a simple question, quit avoiding it. Answer yes or no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT