ADVERTISEMENT

Jai Lucas to Duke

[laughing]

Barry-Rohrrsen-1.jpg
Yep! An absolute waste of 400,000 dollars. Like I said before, if you're Cal's friend, Cal is the Oprah of college Basketball, But it isn't his money he's giving away

Reactions: wildcatwelder
This really only points to one thing, and @ralphdaltonfan already said it - UK basketball is stale and tired.

It says something when a young up and coming recruiter, soon to be young up and coming head coach, chooses to jump ship and leave a Hall of Fame coach for a coach who’s never actually coached a game. Says a lot. Seems to show me that what John Calipari is pumping in Lexington is worn out.

Jai apparently sees that he will advance further and quicker with the Duke Brand as opposed to John Calipari Brand. Kentucky Basketball is just collateral damage in the disaster Cal has created.

I think Cal can squeeze a descent season out coming up, but not sure he can get any where close to what he had the first 6 years. Jai apparently sees that as well. And when someone who has been on staff for a couple of years shows the world he sees it, from the inside, well, that isn’t good.

Imagine the pitch to these top 10 kids over the next two or three years…..”I’ve seen what JC and Kentucky are doing, I see how it works. I chose to leave and come to where it’s being done right.”

Oh my, not good at all people. Not good at all.

Sounds like the rest of us 🥹.

I feel like someone dragged me to an alley and 10 people stomped me out
It's more of a what else is going to take place feel than that for me.

UK/Cal is a stale relationship. It's ending soon no matter if the program wins games or not. But purgatory in sports is worse than anything because you are stuck. UK has the $ to attract someone, but who wants to hitch their wagon to an aging HC who is operating the program in a very random manner.

If I were to sum up the anger with UK fans and I agree with them it's the fact this program has no stability and feels like it's being run by a guy who is biding time for the "Ambassador $1M a yr" clause to kick in after '24 season.

Take an aspirin and call your doctor in the morning. Same idiots on this increasingly disgusting board push the panic button with every bit of news. This guy was another Adolph Rupp! We’re doomed!
I am idiot because I choose to care about how Kentucky does, nice to know, and yeah losing a recruiting assistant to duke is a big deal

100% true. If you want any glass half full look, Lucas is going to be a HC soon, but back to the putrid reality is that he saw his chance to advance quicker at Duke under a 1st yr HC with their brand over a HOF HC who he's worked with for 2+ yrs.

Speaks a lot to the state of UK program. No stability or growth. Just stale.
worse than stale..........there is a very strong odor coming from Lexington

Reactions: CarolinaCatsFan
This really only points to one thing, and @ralphdaltonfan already said it - UK basketball is stale and tired.

It says something when a young up and coming recruiter, soon to be young up and coming head coach, chooses to jump ship and leave a Hall of Fame coach for a coach who’s never actually coached a game. Says a lot. Seems to show me that what John Calipari is pumping in Lexington is worn out.

Jai apparently sees that he will advance further and quicker with the Duke Brand as opposed to John Calipari Brand. Kentucky Basketball is just collateral damage in the disaster Cal has created.

I think Cal can squeeze a descent season out coming up, but not sure he can get any where close to what he had the first 6 years. Jai apparently sees that as well. And when someone who has been on staff for a couple of years shows the world he sees it, from the inside, well, that isn’t good.

Imagine the pitch to these top 10 kids over the next two or three years…..”I’ve seen what JC and Kentucky are doing, I see how it works. I chose to leave and come to where it’s being done right.”

Oh my, not good at all people. Not good at all.
Fantastic post.

Rondo has never coached or recruited. He is not the answer. There are other good coaches out there. I just wonder if Cal is done now or will this be his last season. Things have to get better.
Interesting thinking about Rondo as an asst. coach. As a player he was considered to be a very high level basketball mind, but his reputation was also that he didn't suffer fools well and his lack of patience for those perhaps not as quick minded might not be the best personality for coaching in college. So, I don't know how it would fall with that kind of guy.

Reactions: MWes11
100% true. If you want any glass half full look, Lucas is going to be a HC soon, but back to the putrid reality is that he saw his chance to advance quicker at Duke under a 1st yr HC with their brand over a HOF HC who he's worked with for 2+ yrs.

Speaks a lot to the state of UK program. No stability or growth. Just stale.
Then why did duke lose an assistant to Louisville

It's more of a what else is going to take place feel than that for me.

UK/Cal is a stale relationship. It's ending soon no matter if the program wins games or not. But purgatory in sports is worse than anything because you are stuck. UK has the $ to attract someone, but who wants to hitch their wagon to an aging HC who is operating the program in a very random manner.

If I were to sum up the anger with UK fans and I agree with them it's the fact this program has no stability and feels like it's being run by a guy who is biding time for the "Ambassador $1M a yr" clause to kick in after '24 season.
What about Duke is stability? K retires. Duke loses an assistant coach to Louisville. The Duke board is complaining about one and dones. I guess the world will end next.

Something else is going on. It will be in the next 10 days. Duke moved Jai up to a coaching spot . Now you will hear the big news

Reactions: Fox2monk
It seemed like the pecking order at UK with the assistants was Antigua> Coleman>Lucas (I'm not sure how Flint figured in - almost seemed like a consultant on the outside type thing). Of course that's a perception on my part, I don't know anything about how it actually works with the staff. But, could Lucas have been offered a higher level on the chain of authority at Duke?
Jai Lucas is the last guy on Duke's pecking order. Lucas will be a head coach in a couple years elsewhere as he is not supplanting Chris Carrawell, Amile Jefferson, and the just-hired former Elon head coach. Hiring Lucas is not to shore up Duke's recruiting as it's top notch already. Maybe they pay much better. and maybe Cal is not easy to work with...things like that happen in all places of business.
Isn't Calipari still and always will be the main recruiter, meaning he will still get 5 stars? Antigua and Calipari are a strong recruiting team.
As a UNC fan, it looks like UK is transitioning from becoming a OAD factory to more a college program with some multi-year players to go along with 2-3 OADs. the more experienced talent you return, the better in terms of winning games in March. Y'all are being forced to go through a transition period right now thanks to Duke getting most of the top 10 players.
Calipari will have to adjust his recruiting pitch...he will have to sell winning championships and development a little more than simply the warp speed path to the NBA and games being inconsequential.

Then why did duke lose an assistant to Louisville
Because Smith saw Louisville as an opportunity for himself. He'd worked with Scheyer and played with him/been at Duke his entire time. Unlike Scheyer who just got the HC job, it wouldn't hurt him to branch out and advance his career. Lucas isn't a UK or Duke alum. But those 2 brands on his resume aren't going to hurt.

Thing that some are overreacting about. Duke's improvement from this. You can't get better than being #1 in recruiting which they've done repeatedly. They are getting top guys. So this is more about weakening UK than helping Duke from my perspective in terms of why it's negative. We'll see how Lucas does at Duke but they go from #1 to #1....that changes how?? Kentucky benefited from his arrival and got some excellent talent/new voice.

Now Cal needs to make a hire that will be someone who can not just recruit but wants to get paid. UK Assistant job can provide a young guy some serious $ and good resume builder. Or you can hire a has been old/crust that is in short term but knows Cal/how things are done. That would symbolize Cal's about done-which is going to happen soon anyways due to his age. But the initial hit is talked down by being honest-Duke got a guy they wanted from outside their program...but there's nowhere to go up from #1 in recruiting. Kentucky just needs to replace that and hurts UK far more.

what coach would even want to come into this mess?
The entire college world has seen UK fall of the edge and fall straight down into a big, fresh cow pile - face first

ccc has taken UK lower than Tubby or BCG, time for a change

Reactions: KFuqua
These people are trolls. There’s no way they are actual UK fans. The mental manipulation they do is obvious.
They get mad at people on here for caring about Kentucky, like thats what fandom is, if they don’t think losing a top recruiting assistant to duke is a big deal I don’t know what to tell them. Nobody told them they had to post here and if they do expect backlash

Dollar bills. Which if that’s the real reason Mitch needs to take Cal and go.

We should never lose a head to head with Duke over money.

If it’s a personality thing and Lucas wanted away from Cal, then Cal needs to be done this week.
Wait. Fire a head coach over an assistant leaving? Huh.

what coach would even want to come into this mess?
The entire college world has seen UK fall of the edge and fall straight down into a big, fresh cow pile - face first

ccc has taken UK lower than Tubby or BCG, time for a change
Please go be a Duke fan or UofL. You would fit in perfect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT