ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Coach John Scheyer does the least with the most...

Uncle Adolph

Junior
Aug 9, 2019
I'll bet they don't drop at all after losing first game in ACC Tournament. Now they will always be pretty good because he has been able to recruit but the dread and fear factor with Coach K gone is not there any longer. He has won nothing so far I wonder if his seat will soon start to get warm ?
Also, congrats to Jai Lucas.

I'll bet they don't drop at all after losing first game in ACC Tournament. Now they will always be pretty good because he has been able to recruit but the dread and fear factor with Coach K gone is not there any longer. He has won nothing so far I wonder if his seat will soon start to get warm ?
Good God he's had k like classes and sucks.
You Suck Episode 1 GIF by The Office

Reactions: Greatestalltime
As with anything, the truth is usually in the middle. I was actually at the Duke @ NCSU game on Monday, 3/4. Duke won by 15 in a close-for-a-while but ultimately comfortable close out.Tonight, not the same Duke team. Very odd team that’s been “off” this season. You never know whether it’s Jekyll or Hyde night. Yea there’s been some injuries, but no worse than last year. Foster wasn’t available tonight but they didn’t need him to beat this State squad whom they beat in Raleigh by 15 (without him) 10 days ago.

24-8, meh, not Hubert’s disaster of a year ago but not a great Coaching job considering the four returnees, the Incoming players and they avoided College Basketball’s version of COVID (Transfers, not a single one in the off-season) Scheyer did a better job with last year’s 27-9 ACC Championship team,(only the third ever first year ACC head coach to win the ACC T) despite their injuries, up until the Tennessee wrestling match.

A nice run in the dance can certainly altar current perspectives, but I don’t see it beyond the first weekend. And next year’s incoming class certainly looks great on paper, (a guard or two returning is key) but a lot of head scratching over the performance of this year’s pre-season top 5 squad thus far.

As with anything, the truth is usually in the middle. I was actually at the Duke @ NCSU game on Monday, 3/4. Duke won by 15 in a close-for-a- while but ultimately comfortable close out.
Tonight, not the same Duke team. Very odd team that’s been “off” this season. You never know whether it’s Jekyll or Hyde night. Yea there’s been some injuries, but no worse than last year. Foster wasn’t available tonight but they didn’t need him to beat this State squad whom they beat in Raleigh by 15 (without him) 10 days ago.

24-8, meh, not Hubert’s disaster of a year ago but not a great Coaching job considering the four returnees, the Incoming players and they avoided College Basketball’s version of COVID (Transfers, not a single one in the off-season) Scheyer did a better job with last year’s 27-9 ACC Championship team,(only the third ever first year ACC head coach to win the ACC T) despite their injuries, up until the Tennessee wrestling match.

A nice run in the dance can certainly altar current perspectives, but I don’t see it beyond the first weekend. And next year’s incoming class certainly looks great on paper, (a guard or two returning is key) but a lot of head scratching over the performance of this year’s pre-season top 5 squad thus far.
A lot of the comments in your “game thread” are very similar to what is said on here after a bad game , lol .

As with anything, the truth is usually in the middle. I was actually at the Duke @ NCSU game on Monday, 3/4. Duke won by 15 in a close-for-a-while but ultimately comfortable close out.Tonight, not the same Duke team. Very odd team that’s been “off” this season. You never know whether it’s Jekyll or Hyde night. Yea there’s been some injuries, but no worse than last year. Foster wasn’t available tonight but they didn’t need him to beat this State squad whom they beat in Raleigh by 15 (without him) 10 days ago.

I nominate "altar perspectives" for Paddock lexicon, to go along with "fast paste," "pre madonna," "in sink," et al.

Anybody second the nomination?

What has changed is that flopping is now illegal and the charge rule was finally changed to make some damned sense. These two rule changes are exactly why Puke will dwindle away to IU status.

Committee already said they'd take injuries into account (for Kansas).. so since Flipowski still having PTSD from court storming, Duke gets a 2 seed.

And Scheyer is not coach K

I have always maintained that Duke is not going to maintain itself to the level they were, and Flagg to me is going to be a highlight reel but not effective to winning. I think he’ll have the same impact as some of the other ball dominant players, but like Barrett, it won’t translate to winning basketball other than a slew of won games during the season. It’s rinse / repeat for Duke.

The conference shifts are going to send Duke to the Big East more than likely. I think UNC would have demanded Duke be a part of their move to the SEC, but after Duke has become a ln arrogant pain in the ass they’ll be glad to be rid of them for good. As the UK / UNC game becomes the major rivalry in college basketball, Duke settles for St. John’s and Villanova. Nike won’t be as invested and the NCAA won’t have the impact they had in years before. Duke might not fall off, they really do put a lot of effort into winning ( their founder is modern). But there’s no way without UNC, the ACC, and the networks pushing tobacco hill, Duke is going to be dominant compared to where they were under K.

I held out on Scheyer and didn’t make an opinion because I seriously had no idea if he’d work. But this is certainly the truth after 2 full seasons.

1. He isn’t half the coach, prep or on court, that coach K was.

2. If he’s this lackluster now, it’ll get worse as K is removed from the “General Manager” position and becomes a non factor. We’re not there yet.

3. Nike is still pushing these kids to Duke, no impact player is going there for Scheyer. K is still there in the shadows and Nike is still pushing. They’ll change soon.

4. Coach K had a way with the officials that, even Duke fans, can now understand. Yes, everyone was right you had a lot of gifted calls - they even notice it now, whether they admit it or not

I personally think Flagg is probably rethinking his commitment to a certain extent. His mother loves Hurley, and he did too from the looks of it.

The natives are getting restless.

J s is great recruiter, jury out about his coaching.

I’ll say this….Scheyer sure can recruit but I’m not sure he can coach.

I will stick by this . How do you nationally tell a reporter NC State is a different team then ten days ago yet you didn’t adjust and didn’t get the production or play the bench that helped you win last time you played them !

Yeah Mitchell was decent tonight. But even a broken clock is right twice a day. Our guards were just awful. Around a minute or so to play and Proctor dribbles the ball for most of the shot clock. A good description on the way we played the entire game.

Jon has no fire, or energy, we have no bench, and it shows in the players. He has to own some of this, even if he is only in his 2nd year as the head coach.

Hubert was embarrassed after last season, and it shows. Jon should be as embarrassed.

WWDHD....What would Danny Hurley do with this talent? He's very fiesty....has a game plan and rotates his players...I dont think John is there yet...but he has to show more if he is the long term guy. His record as coach is mostly due to the talent we bring in vs having an actual style or plan.

I think playing like this after getting smashed at home on senior night by UNC says a lot about Scheyer.

Just my opinion….These new generation coaches man…..I don’t much care for them.

Starting to think JS is just not the one.

If I was Dan Hurley, I'd shoot a text to Cooper Flagg and just casually ask how he's doing lol.

Actually don’t think Duke is all that talented this year. They are primed for a first weekend exit and possibly day 1 if they catch the wrong higher seeded team. Don’t think they deserve higher than a 5 seed but will likely get a 3. 1 win over a top 25 team the entire season.

Actually don’t think Duke is all that talented this year. They are primed for a first weekend exit and possibly day 1 if they catch the wrong higher seeded team. Don’t think they deserve higher than a 5 seed but will likely get a 3. 1 win over a top 25 team the entire season.
I agree. They are talented but play that big galoot Young. To me that is an indicator of the talent they have. It is McCain, Flip and a bunch of serviceable guys. Roach is good but he is not great.

I agree. They are talented but play that big galoot Young. To me that is an indicator of the talent they have. It is McCain, Flip and a bunch of serviceable guys. Roach is good but he is not great.
I think they have 5 McDonalds AA's including Roach but again they aren't developing under Scheyer.

No, that would still be Cal. 78 draft picks, 1 title, worst season in history, worst loss in school history, and so on and so forth.

Naw. Dean Smith 37 years at unc still holds the title. Dude won 1 title with Jordan and he had him 3 years. He failed in an era where stud players stayed 3 or 4 years.

Give cal AD and his best players 3 years and he would have several more IMO.

I don't watch duke if I can help it, but I do wonder if the refs are no longer
bailing out the dukers with a favorable whistle. I'll always believe that coach k' wouldn't have won near as much without the help of the ref's.

When are high school recruits going to finally realize that Mike Krzyzewski ain't walking through that door. Once they do, Duke will become another Indiana. Like IU they won't be a blip on the basketball radar screen.

I think they have 5 McDonalds AA's including Roach but again they aren't developing under Scheyer.
No disagreement from me. It can be said that Scheyer isn't developing players, but I think that the Duke effect on player rankings is real too. Winning with a lot of younger guys is tough. I am not sure Scheyer has the lead in his pencil for the task.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT