ADVERTISEMENT

Jai Lucas to Duke

In fairness to Lucas, Duke's next two classes were pretty much already finished by the time he took the job there, so it probably won't be until at least the 2024 class until you see what kind of impact he'll have there.

That said, the "sky is falling" posts on this board were clearly a huge overreaction in hindsight as they often tend to be.
The optics of losing a highly regarded young assistant to Duke of all places were crap for sure, but it seems like it may have worked out for the better for us.

Why is this being dug up? Let this crap die people might actually forget Duke robbed a top recruiter from us. Stupid thread to bring back up whoever did it. Regardless of our class it still happened and I want to forget about it. Good grief.

I started thinking about Jai and responded. Digging it up?? nah.

People that hate Calipari, who thought Lucas leaving was the beginning of the end (and wanted it to be) are puking themselves lately. AWESOME times. BBM, Keeneland and night Football. Oh my!

Last edited:
Reactions: drawing_dead
Why is this being dug up? Let this crap die people might actually forget Duke robbed a top recruiter from us. Stupid thread to bring back up whoever did it. Regardless of our class it still happened and I want to forget about it. Good grief.
You are embarrassed because you bitched about it and we replace him with a better coach and recruiter

• Haha
Reactions: Gromcat
Still wasn’t a good look to get a supposed too recruiter stolen by the rival who had over taken our spot for 1 and dones. To Cal’s credit he filled the staff out greatly and got back to work with these classes coming up. The new staff deserves props. Not to mention we just came fresh off losing in the first round of the tournament with a 2 seed that was easily a 1 seed before injuries.

Reactions: MidseasonTweak
Just like it was a yeah and a half ago, assistants aren’t making or breaking recruiting classes 95% of time. Everyone swore Barbee and Justus were less then what Lucas was, turns out Cal is all that matters. Btw is was time for the assistant shake up but most recruiting victories are on Cal, as well as the misses.

Don't believe he was the big help he thought he was going to be so he moved on
lmao. So "probably a good idea to get out now" didn't mean get off a sinking ship? It meant "hmmm, I'm not much of a help, so I think I'll leave." ??

Last edited:
Still wasn’t a good look to get a supposed too recruiter stolen by the rival who had over taken our spot for 1 and dones. To Cal’s credit he filled the staff out greatly and got back to work with these classes coming up. The new staff deserves props. Not to mention we just came fresh off losing in the first round of the tournament with a 2 seed that was easily a 1 seed before injuries.
We will never get another 5 star recruit.

Just like it was a yeah and a half ago, assistants aren’t making or breaking recruiting classes 95% of time. Everyone swore Barbee and Justus were less then what Lucas was, turns out Cal is all that matters. Btw is was time for the assistant shake up but most recruiting victories are on Cal, as well as the misses.
Disagree. Cal is a great closer. But when he had to do the ground work too, it led to the L's on the trail. The fact that Staff changed has been a huge factor-specifically adding Antigua as many here had said all along (RR, Grom, etc...). Lucas got them Collins and was part of the trio who was pushing hard for them to go all in on Cason Wallace. He did a nice job there. Where Jai wasn't strong was player development. He wasn't nearly as good as what his Dad/Brother are in that area and staff needed upgrade there as well.

Knowing who to/not to pursue/accept commitments from at a program like Kentucky is harder than some think. Every top tier program gets lazy with recruiting or makes mistakes and it's often changed by staff moves that rejuvenate and often remind the HC of why he was successful and what type of players fit his style of coaching/program.

Disagree. Cal is a great closer. But when he had to do the ground work too, it led to the L's on the trail. The fact that Staff changed has been a huge factor-specifically adding Antigua as many here had said all along (RR, Grom, etc...). Lucas got them Collins and was part of the trio who was pushing hard for them to go all in on Cason Wallace. He did a nice job there. Where Jai wasn't strong was player development. He wasn't nearly as good as what his Dad/Brother are in that area and staff needed upgrade there as well.

Knowing who to/not to pursue/accept commitments from at a program like Kentucky is harder than some think. Every top tier program gets lazy with recruiting or makes mistakes and it's often changed by staff moves that rejuvenate and often remind the HC of why he was successful and what type of players fit his style of coaching/program.
Not

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT