ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Pilgrim just said on Sources Say …

I don't know him personally so not going to judge him. Basketball wise, I just think of too many times he's been wrong when I knew something else and it is too much for someone who is going to be promoting themselves on a show called Sources Say. Either get better sources or sit on things until you find out more of what is actually going on.

Throwing a lot of wild stuff that has some truth but a lot of holes in the info and then tying it with opinion. Sadly, it reflects how media covers a lot of things nowadays. Facts are vital to get and important. That means talking to everyone, not one side on things and recruiting gossip is like the telephone game--wait until the story you start gets back to you and see how people have added their "touches" to it. LOL

But he's got a job to do. Really makes me appreciate the work Travis Graf has put in and how quiet he stays and fact he separated from that show. Everyone who has contacts hears things....but you sit on them and wait to make sure it's right or to see the holes get punched through them.
I don’t know him personally either. I just can’t stand his holier than thou attitude and like he’s the end all be all of UK basketball related content. Usually, he’s way off. 🤣 EDIT: I really like Graf.

Jack Pilgrim is the Kamala Harris of covering Kentucky. He says a lot of words and spins the same theme around so much you actually think he's informed people on something. Then when he's completely incorrect which happens too often, he pretends he was actually right and something dramatically changed.

But he's got a job to do and works for a premium site now and business is good when you throw shit at a wall and do that enough, something will stick.
AKA word salad! Goodness, Kamala is a shit show.

I wonder is UK is really interested in David Jones and Isaiah Miranda?Only guys left that lists UK.

I don’t know him personally either. I just can’t stand his holier than thou attitude and like he’s the end all be all of UK basketball related content. Usually, he’s way off. 🤣 EDIT: I really like Graf.
Look when you share info, you'll get some things wrong. But think the delivery is the key and admitting you were wrong is also very important. It's okay. Nobody is going to blame you for what happens in the crazy world of recruiting if you are straight up. But when you have this "I know more than you" approach and then are wrong...people come for the head and eventually credibility has to be discussed.

I still raise an eyebrow with the Skyy Clark thing. Guy went to watch him play in a pickup game with Brandon Miller and made an assessment of Miller from that lone appearance and talked up Clark. Friend--who has done this for years---told me Brandon Miller will be a top 5 player in '22 class and Lottery Pick when he was a Soph and you all know what he said about Skyy Clark. I mean we all have misses--I thought Cliff Alexander would've been great at Kentucky and had a longer NBA career but he flopped and was a bust. Thought Kentucky got a great class for a horrible HS class of talent in '19 when really only Maxey panned out and that class sucked beyond suckage. So missing happens. But I don't have a show or job that makes me proclaim to be all knowing about UK basketball. But sometimes you just have to watch with your eyes and not your ears. That's where Graf has improved a great deal and he's worked his ass off. Jack has a ways to go and the delivery being so smug isn't a great look. Fans will remember and how you treat them when you are right, helps when you are wrong. He's young and hope he figures it out.

Why in the hell should anyone believe him? At least 3 of these players are considered 3 of the top 5 players in the country. Even if they are not superstars, they are still better than the vast majority of players in their class. You act like whatever that guy says is 100% true.
WTF? Top 5 players in the country? Noooo, they are top 6 or 7 in their recruiting class, which is all high school kids.

I wonder is UK is really interested in David Jones and Isaiah Miranda?Only guys left that lists UK.
Scary thing is Miranda's talent is insane. Skill wise, he's superior to any big UK has. But he's a whole lot of crazy.......but then again John Welch did work with Jerry Tarkanian at Fresno State. If you can deal with Avodre Jones and his Samurai Sword incident.....Miranda would be light work. But he's got NBA Lottery talent.....just flip a coin if you get to see it. He originally played for former Memphis player of Cal's Antonio Anderson and was a heavy UK lean. They held off.....held off...and when something is obvious in recruiting in terms of ties, etc... there's always a reason it doesn't happen. But pure talent wise? Guy is a wonderfully skilled 7'0 who has a great tool kit. Shoots the 3 ball better than most UK forwards.

Rule of thumb with "issues" players is usually if the core of team is strong, you can take one in. They'll fall in line. Got a few too many-they bring the 50/50 guys over to the negative side and it falls apart.

David Jones is an interesting player. Fits what they are saying they want to do basketball wise with the offense, but is more 6'4/6'5 wing who has game but not a great shooter. Hated how he played for Mike Anderson but I don't think much of Anderson as a coach.

I'm hanging on to hope Reeves wants to return but is just waiting for Cal to offer more.
Last I heard they are still talking and negotiating--if you want to call it that. Just know the picture is painted a little differently from what I've been told. For instance, what his camp/Reeves said prior to entering the process is a lot different. Cal's as straight with guys as any Coach in CBB about NBA prospects too. He's not saying "Go-you'll be a Lottery pick" to some guy like Reeves. He's saying he'll help get all the info, support him, call him if they have questions/want info but good lord some of the "drama" to this is laughable.

The problem with the class is it is considered a weak class . I’m not saying that they are bad but him saying they need experience around them is simply the truth(common sense).

It’s one thing if Cal knew all these guys were leaving and had a plan . If he truly expected Reeves back and Reeves leaves then it’s been a rough offseason .
I would be going after cam spencer like crazy he is the closest thing left to reeves

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Why in the hell should anyone believe him? At least 3 of these players are considered 3 of the top 5 players in the country. Even if they are not superstars, they are still better than the vast majority of players in their class. You act like whatever that guy says is 100% true.

Literally just quoted what he said. Didn't say if I agreed with him or not. So **** off.

Jack is basically saying our freshman class actually sucks and isn't as good as everyone thinks it is. Great. Total opposite of how he hyped these dudes up for months.
Anyone could have watched mixtapes and seen this. Unless Edwards learns to dribble on both sides and develops a quicker release, a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

Reactions: G-PIP
Anyone could have watched mixtapes and seen this. Unless Edwards learns to dribble on both sides and develops a quicker release, a lot of people are going to be disappointed.
Edwards is the one I have the most hope for lol, I fell he will be able to get his and with Wagner I atleast know he ain’t gonna back down from anybody. With bradshaw & dillingham I have no idea what’s going to happen

Don't support this.

MKG could barely handle the ball with his left hand, Terrence Jones was horrible with his right, James Young had the same release as Edwards, Karl Towns couldn't go over his right shoulder in the post, etc. etc.

Anyone who says they know what they're talking about because they "watched mixtapes" is a fool.

Don't support this.

MKG could barely handle the ball with his left hand, Terrence Jones was horrible with his right, James Young had the same release as Edwards, Karl Towns couldn't go over his right shoulder in the post, etc. etc.

Anyone who says they know what they're talking about because they "watched mixtapes" is a fool.
You can still see players doing things right and wrong in mixtapes. I don't buy into highlights on these things, but the little things are going to stick out. The same thing I saw in tidbits of Edwards are the same criticisms analysts have voiced.

I thought we would at least make it to December before we started saying the players were overrated, not very good and our offense sucks, because we don't have anyone that can create their own shot.

Remember guys, it's not Cal's fault, it's the players, they're just not good enough.

It's May 25 and UK still has just 7 players, none w/ any significant D1 college experience.

That's terrifying entering what is supposed to be a make or break year for the coach and program. The biggest question is: does Cal even see it?

Fully convinced none of them know anything right now. Pretty sure Cal shut the news cycle down. They all seem to be grasping at straws.

Yours is a kind of post I really enjoy reading. Good honest exchange of information/ ideas about one of our incoming recruits. You made an observation after watching a recruit. It seemed completely unbiased with no agenda rant (e.g., “Edwards sucks… another Cal miss,” etc.). Edwards just finished high school. He’s not going to come into college a finished product or even leave after his first year a finished product.

You just made an observation as to what some of the things are that you think he needs to (and likely will) improve. You didn’t say Edwards wasn’t a great high school recruit, or that you weren’t glad UK got him, or even that he won’t be a very good player (hopefully sooner rather than later). You just pointed out that he has some things that he needs to work on, and that fans should anticipate that.

Keep watching the mixtapes, game replays, etc. and posting what you see. It’s the type of stuff that makes up the better part of this message board.

Scary thing is Miranda's talent is insane. Skill wise, he's superior to any big UK has. But he's a whole lot of crazy.......but then again John Welch did work with Jerry Tarkanian at Fresno State. If you can deal with Avodre Jones and his Samurai Sword incident.....Miranda would be light work. But he's got NBA Lottery talent.....just flip a coin if you get to see it. He originally played for former Memphis player of Cal's Antonio Anderson and was a heavy UK lean. They held off.....held off...and when something is obvious in recruiting in terms of ties, etc... there's always a reason it doesn't happen. But pure talent wise? Guy is a wonderfully skilled 7'0 who has a great tool kit. Shoots the 3 ball better than most UK forwards.

Rule of thumb with "issues" players is usually if the core of team is strong, you can take one in. They'll fall in line. Got a few too many-they bring the 50/50 guys over to the negative side and it falls apart.

David Jones is an interesting player. Fits what they are saying they want to do basketball wise with the offense, but is more 6'4/6'5 wing who has game but not a great shooter. Hated how he played for Mike Anderson but I don't think much of Anderson as a coach.
never read anything regarding Miranda that said he was a head case or a very good talent. Just read that he was an average talent that didn't play hard. So your words are good to read, except that another 7' outside shooter is not what is needed. If UK takes this guy, then why would they have not shown any interest in the Ware kid from Oregon, who is supposedly a much better talent. This is the kind of thing that I just don't understand. If you are going after similar players, why not go after the best. The same with Jones. Why go after him and not the 2 guys that wound up @ UT? Again, they were as good or better talent wise. Most, if not all UK fans knew that another shooter and another big man was needed. Yet, ccc showed veryl ittle interest in anyone except Dickinson and Johnson. The moves made by this coach, are questionable, if not laughable, but now I guess he is in panic mode and has to add bodies just to be able to scrimmage in practice.

And he just doubled down, "I'm in the gym with these kids every day. Don't say I didn't tell you so" in reference to our class basically actually sucking.
LOL! Whaaaaaaat?!?! Jack ain't in the gym with these guys every day? What the hell is he talking about? He's just begging for some ounce of credibility.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there's ONLY 2 reasons Jack claims TJ Beisner and Andrew Ortelli leaving the program are big deals: First, because he knows criticism on Cal gets clicks. Second, because one or both of those 2 are his inside sources, so now he's got squat.

The problem with the class is it is considered a weak class . I’m not saying that they are bad but him saying they need experience around them is simply the truth(common sense).

It’s one thing if Cal knew all these guys were leaving and had a plan . If he truly expected Reeves back and Reeves leaves then it’s been a rough offseason .
Unless John Wall or Julius Randle is the freshman, I have NO IDEA why Calipari wouldn't lead Reeves to believe he'll be a starter. Why wouldn't you give the benefit of the doubt, in the preseason, to the returning/proven/exerpeinced player? Why should Reeves EVER think he isn't going to be a starter?

This podcast is teh dumbest thing ever. They never have any legitimate "news". Speculate on many things that never actually happen, and also toe the line on both sides so they never appear wrong.

Very misleading podcast that is pointless.
I have not listened to that podcast - or cared what they had to say - since the whole "Banchero to UK is a done deal" fiasco ....

Reactions: Crankdatmustard
Unless John Wall or Julius Randle is the freshman, I have NO IDEA why Calipari wouldn't lead Reeves to believe he'll be a starter. Why wouldn't you give the benefit of the doubt, in the preseason, to the returning/proven/exerpeinced player? Why should Reeves EVER think he isn't going to be a starter?
Agree with you 100% .... sadly, that's not how Cal sees it. He is so obsessed and distracted by the shiny new object every season: his 5-star freshmen! If I was a returning player, I'd probably despise Cal for it, honestly. I suspect many do ... including a guy like Oscar, let alone Reeves.

Agree with you 100% .... sadly, that's not how Cal sees it. He is so obsessed and distracted by the shiny new object every season: his 5-star freshmen! If I was a returning player, I'd probably despise Cal for it, honestly. I suspect many do ... including a guy like Oscar, let alone Reeves.
Don't get me wrong, in part that's exactly how you get the stud freshmen - telling them they get to play right away. I actually believe Cal, for the most part, when he publicly proclaims that he makes no promises about playing time and shots. BUT, seems like he makes promises about roles, which I think is important to note.

But yeah, Reeves should be under the impression he's a starter. Just like I think Livingston should be, although obviously his situation is different.

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

• Haha
Reactions: HerrosHeroes
It's May 25 and UK still has just 7 players, none w/ any significant D1 college experience.

That's terrifying entering what is supposed to be a make or break year for the coach and program. The biggest question is: does Cal even see it?
Does Cal even see it????

He//fire, Cal is orchestrating this whole thing.

I can't for the life of me understand why so many are struggling trying to figure out why everyone chose to leave AFTER they met with Cal at the end of the season.

Cal has and continues to send a strong message, not only to his current players on the roster, but also, any player in the portal considering UK, that the incoming freshmen are his top priority for playing time AND NIL money.

As Hunter D said, coming to UK would be a huge risk.

Cal is very happy right now. Does he get paid on the 1st. and the 15th. of the month or all of his $8.5M at one time???

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Im assuming Jones would play sticky D:

Last edited:
Reactions: CoachBrownfield
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT