ADVERTISEMENT

Ivisic Update

Someone could make alot money with a tell all book

-Sharpe was ran by his camp. They told him not to play. He didn't. The UK thing was to get him away from and be 1 year removed from HS, so he'd be eligible for the draft.

-Wheeler checked out after he lost his starting spot. He quit on the team. I'd say he and his handlers told Cal that it would hurt his aspirations of playing professionally if people were to see him lose his starting spot to Wallace. Nothing else makes sense. Even that theory doesn't make a lot of sense, but it seems the most logical. So Cal told the media that the kid was week to week with an injury, probably hoping Wheeler would change his mind. He didn't.

It is only silly if you don't believe the Univ. of Kentucky should have admission standards. Or if you believe the school should violate its own standards if the applicant is a 7' basketball player. People get fired for that. But who cares? Right? Let the guy in because he is a basketball player. Is that your position? Has it occurred to you that Cal could have prevented this PR mess by doing his job better and coordinating the scholarship offer with the admissions office?

You're an idiot haha Yes, my position is to let the kid in because he's a basketball player.

Do you think Zion Williamson really just got into Duke on his own merit and SAT scores? Or do you think Duke altered their admissions standards? If you truly think that, I have ocean front property in Mayfield to sell you.

According to US News & World Report, UCLA is the 14th best university in the country with a minimum unweighted GPA standard of 3.98 and an SAT score of 1380/1600 minimum to even be considered, not even to get accepted. Do you think every basketball recruit they land meets those standards? Or perhaps do they adjust their standards for scholarship athletes?

The kid speaks 4 languages. Plenty of kids who grow up right here in Kentucky can't even speak proper English and they get accepted to Kentucky no problem without having to take a BS test.

And it's not Cal's job to coordinate things with Admissions, that's the Compliance department.

The PR nightmare is completely on the Admissions department and the school, not even close to being on the staff.

Last edited:
JP re: Ivisic
"Silence is intentional on Zvonimir Ivisic. Staff is working to get this thing across the finish line. Kentucky feels good, but fighting several battles and dealing with new wrenches thrown into the mix what feels like every other day now. Frustrating and exhausting, but those around the program are putting their head down and doing whatever it takes to close. Still have a few weeks to make it happen. That’s the plan."

He knows more than is saying even behind a pay wall.

It is only silly if you don't believe the Univ. of Kentucky should have admission standards. Or if you believe the school should violate its own standards if the applicant is a 7' basketball player. People get fired for that. But who cares? Right? Let the guy in because he is a basketball player. Is that your position? Has it occurred to you that Cal could have prevented this PR mess by doing his job better and coordinating the scholarship offer with the admissions office?
So you think the University of Kentucky has never made an exception in their admissions. How about making an exception to meet a certain quota in race, religion, handicapped status, etc. Happens all the time at all universities.

JP re: Ivisic
"Silence is intentional on Zvonimir Ivisic. Staff is working to get this thing across the finish line. Kentucky feels good, but fighting several battles and dealing with new wrenches thrown into the mix what feels like every other day now. Frustrating and exhausting, but those around the program are putting their head down and doing whatever it takes to close. Still have a few weeks to make it happen. That’s the plan."

He knows more than is saying even behind a pay wall.
Hard for me to believe the test is still the hold up . Sounds like they keep finding stuff

Reactions: Fox2monk
Hard for me to believe the test is still the hold up . Sounds like they keep finding stuff

According to the internets it takes 4-8 days to get results from TOEFL home edition or 11-13 business days for paper edition.

Absolutely no clue which exam he would've taken but if he took it on 9/22 sounds like results would be available between 9/26 and 10/11.

Reactions: Fox2monk and Ukgold
According to the internets it takes 4-8 days to get results from TOEFL home edition or 11-13 business days for paper edition.

Absolutely no clue which exam he would've taken but if he took it on 9/22 sounds like results would be available between 9/26 and 10/11.
wait home edition, like take the test at the house. .... pilgrim said nee wrinkle, is that the wait time for the results

-Sharpe was ran by his camp. They told him not to play. He didn't. The UK thing was to get him away from and be 1 year removed from HS, so he'd be eligible for the draft.

-Wheeler checked out after he lost his starting spot. He quit on the team. I'd say he and his handlers told Cal that it would hurt his aspirations of playing professionally if people were to see him lose his starting spot to Wallace. Nothing else makes sense. Even that theory doesn't make a lot of sense, but it seems the most logical. So Cal told the media that the kid was week to week with an injury, probably hoping Wheeler would change his mind. He didn't.
IMHO you are spot on
i also think Cal did the right thing by not throwing Wheeler under the bus like Huggins tried to with Oscar

It would be great if we could go through one preseason and one complete year without all this drama. I don't know how other Universities handle the cases they have, but we have to be close to the bottom on informing the fan base. jmo

Nonsense. Informing the fan base is not a business plan. The University runs the budget, the payroll, and compliance. It is the media's job to inform the fan base. The sports media in Kentucky is pathetic so hold them responsible. Cal holds press conferences. If you do not like Cal's press conferences, join the club. But it is the media's job to ask Cal questions and hold him accountable. Aside from maybe Bruce Pearl, coaches never bare their souls at press conferences. If you do not like the way Cal runs his basketball team, stand in line. But as fans, it is our jobs to stay informed. There are resources for that. Watch games. Read SECsports.com, ukathletics.com, and sports-reference.com/cbb. Uninformed fans need to stop blaming the University for their own laziness.

You're an idiot haha Yes, my position is to let the kid in because he's a basketball player.

Do you think Zion Williamson really just got into Duke on his own merit and SAT scores? Or do you think Duke altered their admissions standards? If you truly think that, I have ocean front property in Mayfield to sell you.

According to US News & World Report, UCLA is the 14th best university in the country with a minimum unweighted GPA standard of 3.98 and an SAT score of 1380/1600 minimum to even be considered, not even to get accepted. Do you think every basketball recruit they land meets those standards? Or perhaps do they adjust their standards for scholarship athletes?

The kid speaks 4 languages. Plenty of kids who grow up right here in Kentucky can't even speak proper English and they get accepted to Kentucky no problem without having to take a BS test.

And it's not Cal's job to coordinate things with Admissions, that's the Compliance department.

The PR nightmare is completely on the Admissions department and the school, not even close to being on the staff.
Great post. It's such a poor argument when people talk about UK shouldn't bend their admissions rules for Big Z. Duke (5.9% acceptance rate) , Cal (14.4% acceptance rate), UCLA (10.8% acceptance rate), Michigan (20.2% acceptance rate), Georgetown (12% acceptance rate), UNC (20.4% acceptance rate) and UVA (19% acceptance rate) are all top 20 schools in the US. You think all of their athletes meet the admission requirements like a normal student...hell no.

All you need to do is look at the College Admissions Scandal of 2019 to prove the point. Rich people were paying big time money to have coaches to "recruit" their child (some of which didn't even play that particular sport) as an athlete so that they could be admitted to top universities due to admissions standards being different for athletes.

That's hilarious. You should write jokes for SNL.

Great post. It's such a poor argument when people talk about UK shouldn't bend their admissions rules for Big Z. Duke (5.9% acceptance rate) , Cal (14.4% acceptance rate), UCLA (10.8% acceptance rate), Michigan (20.2% acceptance rate), Georgetown (12% acceptance rate), UNC (20.4% acceptance rate) and UVA (19% acceptance rate) are all top 20 schools in the US. You think all of their athletes meet the admission requirements like a normal student...hell no.

All you need to do is look at the College Admissions Scandal of 2019 to prove the point. Rich people were paying big time money to have coaches to "recruit" their child (some of which didn't even play that particular sport) as an athlete so that they could be admitted to top universities due to admissions standards being different for athletes.
Bingo. And there's several here and elsewhere that given anecdotal evidence to the fact of several instances of UK bending the rules or at least appearing to.

College sports are now a business. Period. Look at Deion out at CO. It's about money whether we like it or not. The NCAA opened this box and Pandora ain't going back in.

You just argued against your own position. LOL! What an excellent illustration of single minded ignorance. People got thrown in jail BECAUSE they used influence to usurp admission standards. Now, that is what you, btnauhert, Mike McD, and bbncal want for Kentucky. Marvelous. You guys are fast and loose with the insults, but all you want is a tall basketball player to entertain you, even if that breaks rules. Mass hysteria and ignorance. You are addicted to your selfish entertainment and blind to the other side of the ledger. You don't give a damn about the University unless it entertains you.

You just argued against your own position. LOL! What an excellent illustration of single minded ignorance. People got thrown in jail BECAUSE they used influence to usurp admission standards. Now, that is what you, btnauhert, Mike McD, and bbncal want for Kentucky. Marvelous. You guys are fast and loose with the insults, but all you want is a tall basketball player to entertain you, even if that breaks rules. Mass hysteria and ignorance. You are addicted to your selfish entertainment and blind to the other side of the ledger. You don't give a damn about the University unless it entertains you.
Keep my name out your mouth. I can count on one hand how many times I've directly insulted someone and it was NEVER the first shot, so back off.
Your logical fallacies are amazing really. "Mass hysteria and ignorance?" Association fallacy much?

Again, I know of a person who got into UK because they were an amazing athlete and barely graduated HS. And it was the best thing that could have happened to them. So, don't act so high and mighty and act like people are going to jail if a waiver were to be issued. Those peop;le went to jail because they paid MONEY to get people in and officials took BRIBES. That's a completley different act.

Good grief. You claim the high ground yet you do nothing but punch down. There's a name for that.

wait home edition, like take the test at the house. .... pilgrim said nee wrinkle, is that the wait time for the results

Lol, yeah I guess so. Didn't make sense to me but I was told to believe EVERYTHING you read on the internet 🤣

There are countless college athletes who can't read at a 6th level even after being in college for 2 or 3 years.(yes UNC has more than their share) This case is about more than an admissions issue, everyone who has been following this saga knows that.

Has to be unless it is just that much different for foreign players.

Bingo. And there's several here and elsewhere that given anecdotal evidence to the fact of several instances of UK bending the rules or at least appearing to.

College sports are now a business. Period. Look at Deion out at CO. It's about money whether we like it or not. The NCAA opened this box and Pandora ain't going back in.
That's hilarious. You should write jokes for SNL.
So you think the University of Kentucky has never made an exception in their admissions. How about making an exception to meet a certain quota in race, religion, handicapped status, etc. Happens all the time at all universities.

Again, I know of a person who got into UK because they were an amazing athlete and barely graduated HS. And it was the best thing that could have happened to them. So, don't act so high and mighty and act like people are going to jail if a waiver were to be issued. Those peop;le went to jail because they paid MONEY to get people in and officials took BRIBES. That's a completley different act.

Good grief. You claim the high ground yet you do nothing but punch down. There's a name for that.

"Who is more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool, because he has to say something." - Plato

Reactions: Seakat311
I didn't argue against my own position. People got throw in jail because they took 100's of thousands of dollars as a bribe illegally to say someone was a student athlete to get them in school. The student themselves met the standards needed to get into school as an athlete, but did not meet the standards to get in as a normal student. It proves that athletes get special treatment when getting into a university. It happens all the time.

Get over yourself. I've worked in Higher Ed for the past 25 years at 5 different institutions. I'm far from a guy who sees a university as purely entertainment. I've worked in and alongside college athletics my entire career. If you think that athletic departments don't have special admission standards separate from a normal student, I don't know what to tell you.

Say it louder for those in the back.

👏 👏 👏

Nonsense. Informing the fan base is not a business plan. The University runs the budget, the payroll, and compliance. It is the media's job to inform the fan base. The sports media in Kentucky is pathetic so hold them responsible. Cal holds press conferences. If you do not like Cal's press conferences, join the club. But it is the media's job to ask Cal questions and hold him accountable. Aside from maybe Bruce Pearl, coaches never bare their souls at press conferences. If you do not like the way Cal runs his basketball team, stand in line. But as fans, it is our jobs to stay informed. There are resources for that. Watch games. Read SECsports.com, ukathletics.com, and sports-reference.com/cbb. Uninformed fans need to stop blaming the University for their own laziness.
I have been a fan since you were crapping yellow. Who knows, you may still be doing it. You can save your opportunities to talk down to someone other than myself. I trust the media as much as I do you, as for Cal I am not a fan and never will be.

IMHO you are spot on
i also think Cal did the right thing by not throwing Wheeler under the bus like Huggins tried to with Oscar
Wheeler didn’t deserve to be protected. He should have been tossed right under it. I always took up for that dude because I thought he had value, especially his first year but after he quit screw him.

Wheeler didn’t deserve to be protected. He should have been tossed right under it. I always took up for that dude because I thought he had value, especially his first year but after he quit screw him.
if Cal had thrown him under the bus what would have been gained

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Cal didn’t have to say anything, but if Wheeler really did quit then he shouldn’t have been traveling and hanging on the bench. I remember before the NCAAT the UK Twitter was posting pics of him walking to the plane and Cal was saying he might play, only to sit on the bench again.

Seemed like both sides were afraid of any blowback so they played this game that made everyone look even more ridiculous.

I guess there's a way to do it without actually throwing him under the bus. Just tell the truth without too much detail.

But as for us, we know he has lied to us at least twice (Sharpe and Wheeler), so how can we trust anything the guy says now?

Players should never be bigger, or more important than this program.

I'd be interested to see you quote posts of mine that state anything of the sort, liar.

We all know wheeler quit the team , cal confirming it would do no good and possible be used by rivals in recruiting against us.

The problem is that players know they can get away with not playing or quitting the team and it’s no big deal here at UK. Letting kids and their handlers walk all over you with no discipline has just soured the culture of UK basketball

There are also countless examples of famous actors that went to Harvard and Yale, not to mention legacy students that get in to prestigious schools, and children of large donors. To try and prop up universities as bastions of honor, the same universities fleecing unsuspecting HS children for hundreds of thousands of dollars of non-bankruptable loans for degrees they know offer minimal job prospects is laughable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT