ADVERTISEMENT

The weak links are heating up...Edwards now at 36% from three. Wagner now over 30% from three.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
UK now shooting 41% from three.

Sheppard: 52% from three
Ivisic: 46% from three
Reeves: 44% from three
Dillingham: 43% from three
Burks: 40% from three
Edwards: 36% from three
Mitchell: 32% from three
Thiero: 32% from three
Wagner: 30% from three
Bradshaw: 29% from three

Mitchell is better than that.
Edwards shooting that is a miracle.
Wagner is atleast Sahvir Wheeler level ..(they let him shoot)
Thiero is doing his best but probably shouldn't shoot.
Teams will give Wagner and Thiero shots all day long.

Mitchell is 0 from his last 12 from 3. He's gotta get it figured out soon, or he can't play as many minutes. No reason to trot him out there for 20 mpg when he's doing absolutely nothing.

Best 3 point shooting team of my lifetime, unless any of the 90's teams were better.

Mitchell is 0 from his last 12 from 3. He's gotta get it figured out soon, or he can't play as many minutes. No reason to trot him out there for 20 mpg when he's doing absolutely nothing.
Mitchell has to get himself in rhythm from three. He actually stabs/sticks his foot in the ground to set himself for a three when he’s shooting well. Definitely seems more rushed/uncomfortable to me.

I think Grandpa Milt had a session with Wagner. That hitch in his shot wasn’t there last game for the first time. Well, maybe the game before, but this game I was watching closely and it was way more smooth.

*A very clear and obvious change in his shot has happened.

(Rob has also slowed his ft motion which is another good sign 9 is on the way—elite 8 for sure at worst)

Say what!!? I had no idea he was hitting like that against SEC.
Reallly?
Well im impressed but the last two games he has been invisible. Bama he was on but last two? Just ho-hum. Good shot in the Ark game ending .
Edwards picked up two early fouls in the Miss State game and went to the bench for the rest of the half. He got called for his third early in the second half and by the time he returned, our guards were leading the way and he focused on the defensive end. Against Arkansas, Cal was trying to get Mitchell going at the expense of time for Edwards but he had 12 points in 13 minutes at a critical part of the game.

I've never seen a KY team that can put 5 players on the floor that are all legitimate threats from 3. It's pretty unbelievable how good we are at times offensively. And the way they seem to get along together is special. This team just has to make a deep run.

At one point Mitchell and Wagner were around 40%. Didn’t know Burks was that high, how many attempts for him?

Edwards is 11/22 over the last 10 games. He’s dipping the ball less off the catch and firing from his shooting pocket like he’s supposed to and look at the result. Also just the fact he’s taking good shots in the rhythm of the offense and not shot hunting so much. I think 36% is much more reflective of his actual shooting ability.

At one point Mitchell and Wagner were around 40%. Didn’t know Burks was that high, how many attempts for him?
I’m guessing he’s 2/5. I’m gonna look it up and update if I’m wrong. Maybe 4/10?

Edit: No update necessary

Reactions: Fox2monk
I know Cal's word doesn't mean much around here to a lot of people, but he said Edwards has been living in the gym to improve his shot. In that case him shooting that is because of a lot of hard work.
Wish they would live in the gym and work on their defense. Is that asking to much?

Vandy is the last chance for Mitchell to get right offensively before season defining games start….back pain is debilitating when you are standing still let alone engaged in athletic activity so I understand. But his offensive game went into hibernation in 2023 and hasn’t been seen this entire year. While playing small at PF with Edwards is the nuclear offensive option there will be a game we need Mitchell for rebounding/post defense so I hope we really try to spark his offense against Vandy.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I love UK fans- their passion for their team, their drive to win, their life and death approach to UK basketball. But we are bad about something that is very obvious in this thread. We make judgments on players and that becomes their permanent scouting report for us. But we've seen on this team that players (especially young players) can improve over the course of a season. That's what we've seen with Edwards. I don't know if I would give Wagner the green light just yet, but he's moving in that direction. We don't win that Arkansas game without Wagner's shooting. If Calipari took our approach and told Wagner he had to stop shooting threes based on poor shooting this season, we lose that game. These guys are obviously working on their games. Calipari said as much in a recent interview, talking about how that this team is always in the gym, getting up shots and working on their games. He even said he can't remember ever being around a group of players who were bigger gym rats than this group. We've got to allow for these guys to improve.

Edit: by the way, I didn't even address SonofSaul's original post here. It's a great sign to see those 3pt numbers improving. We've seen it many times- when teams are really good defensively, they can limit or even shut down a shooter or two. They develop a plan to shut down those shooters. But when you've got 10 guys who have shown they can make them, and you've got 5 on the floor at a time who can shoot it, how do you defend that? If you can cheat off a guy or two, it makes defense much simpler, but when you can't leave anyone, well, you end up giving up 100 points. So, bottom line: what we're seeing from this team right now is a great sign for the post-season. They're becoming nearly impossible to defend.

Last edited:
Regardless of where Bradshaw, Wagner & Edwards were ranked as recruits, they are x-factors now going forward. Said since the beginning of the year, if Wagner can improve his perimeter shot as the season goes on like Fox did late in 2017, then it is a huge bonus going forwards. Already surpassed it. Would like to see the assist numbers higher from the starting PG but not going to sweat it with multiple ball handlers like Reed & Dillingham. Edwards has been playing more aggressive and I like him at the 4. Hopefully Bradshaw will build on his performance vs Arkansas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT