ADVERTISEMENT

It’s time to accept the system is broken

One of the most disheartening things I keep reading is how much these guys hate being in school. EJ left to go be a basketball vagabond because he hated being in school (ie hated being at UK). Meanwhile, players apparently don't hate being at Duke, UNC, Villanova, or KU.

Hard to have guys stay for more than two years when being at UK is the absolute worst time of their life.
Again, read my last comment. It’s because of the culture Cal has created. They come in with the expectation that they will only be there a year, so they are immediately pre-programmed to think of school as just a temporary necessity. The thought of enduring that for 4 years then becomes awful to them. Contrast with a lot of the other places and guys come in expecting to be there for four years, and then if they have a chance to leave early then great. Added bonus. I guaranty none of Self’s players last night came in expecting to go to the NBA right away. It creates a completely different buy in and mind set. Hagans is the perfect example last year of guys coming to Kentucky with a “me first” mindset.

It's definitely a double standard for the kids that are 5 stars or future NBA locks in Cals opinion and the kids that are here to develop. What pisses me off the most is he seems to be even HARDER on the kids that are from Kentucky. He rode Derek Willis' butt for his first 2 1/2 seasons until he needed him to contribute.

The pattern lately is the kids that are supposed to be knock down shooters. Baker, Juzang and now Allen were held to a different standard than the other players. I believe this is a big reason why he can't develop role players.

It really ticks me off!!

Baker shot 31% from three
Juzang shot 32.5% from three

Maybe the problem was neither were knock down shooters.

Not taking Hollingsworth then taking Baker 3 months later was the start. He is going to end up top 5 in all-time scoring at WKU. Local kids at least give you a better shot of them sticking through not playing much.
Cal avoids KY kids bc he doesn't want the fanbase pressure to play them over 5 stars.

Same reason he takes 5'9 New Jersey walkons that averaged 3 pts a game in HS instead of any KY kid in the state who would sell vital organs to wear that jersey.

The Powell kid at Auburn, Hollingsworth, KyKy Tandy....the list goes on.

And as Richmond showed you can put small guys on those long guards and get under them and flop if needed. The length will be a huge asset in a few years in the NBA when they have some strength and the more wide open game. In college it really is not much of an advantage.
Go back to 2014 when UCONNS guards got underneath the twins and shut them down. Cal never adjusted.

Can't find the exact stat but the benchmark I remember seeing is every champion has had at least 30% returning production. We are at less than 5% and he isn't playing yet. Grad transfers could skew that a little but they do not give you the same type of experience. We are also seeing the extreme challenge of just plain lack of strength. Skinny wings like Boston and Clarke just have a tough time adjusting to the physicality. Askew is picking up his dribble and just getting bullied.
Yeah, it’s kind of crazy to think we have only one returning player and he won’t be suiting up for a few more weeks. I’d gladly trade in a couple 5 stars every year if it meant we could have a D. Miller type vet.

I have been saying this for years and been mocked. Glad people are finally waking up. I don't want Cal gone. I want the Cal that was our couch between 2009-2015 back. If that can't happen and we keep on having years like this, maybe it's time to move forward?
Sadly the first time Cal starts taking 50-100th ranked type players, the usual crowd will lose their freaking mind. They can’t help but be blinded by the shiny new toy all of the time.

As freshmen.

Your point is taken, but Juzang started to heat up toward the end of the year. I think he’s a 37%-39% 3 point shooter by his junior year

Baker did improve to a whopping 34.3% at Arizona last year, so maybe you have a point.

I wish them nothing but the best, but I did not see any Herro or Booker comparisons in either's game.

Baker shot 31% from three
Juzang shot 32.5% from three

Maybe the problem was neither were knock down shooters.

I mean it sure is hard to get in a rhythm to shoot a high percentage when you're getting one chance a game after you haven't touched a ball in an hour. Then when you miss, you immediately get yanked and thrown at the back of the bench to sit till the next game.

Ok here comes the sun:
3rd game o the yr
V #7 KU on neutral court
Had shot to tie at end despite 26-16 foul disparity
Our only returning player who scored significantly last yr is injured.
KU may very well be the highest ranked team we play all yr.
The 2014 runner up team had 10 Ls heading into the Dance.

Some of you need to come off the ledge and be patient.

Its a loooooooong season.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
It’s hard going back and looking at all of the top players in Kentucky, who may have been late top 100 ranked nationally, but are now lighting it up elsewhere. KyKy Tandy after developing a year is averaging 16 and 3.5 as a sophomore for Xavier and shooting 40% from three. Can you imagine a steady shooting PG on this team? Now factor in he’ll be in college for 4 years and what he will be like when he develops another two years?? The exact kind of senior leader you would want, and who fans would fall in love with after watching a local state kid develop over 4 years.

Last edited:
Baker did improve to a whopping 34.3% at Arizona last year, so maybe you have a point.

I wish them nothing but the best, but I did not see any Herro or Booker comparisons in either's game.

Herro and Booker were special players in a different type of way, I don’t think Juzang ever enters that stratosphere.

Doesn’t mean he couldn’t be a super valuable piece to our team as an upperclassman. I think he’s a good shooter.

Reactions: catben
Go back to 2014 when UCONNS guards got underneath the twins and shut them down. Cal never adjusted.
We got back in the game by zoning bc they were killing Dakari on the PNR and then stopped. IIRC, UL killed them by zoning them almost exclusively.

Probably chewed him out because that wasn't the play Calipari wanted to run. It looks like Allen broke it off and shot the ball.
Yeah, that would piss me off too. But I wouldn’t put myself in this position like Cal does.

Vegas, Circle, or Elbow. None of them are very intricate. The lack of execution looks to me like it's because of a lack or organization. Hard to watch.

Reactions: kyjeff1
It's definitely a double standard for the kids that are 5 stars or future NBA locks in Cals opinion and the kids that are here to develop. What pisses me off the most is he seems to be even HARDER on the kids that are from Kentucky. He rode Derek Willis' butt for his first 2 1/2 seasons until he needed him to contribute.

The pattern lately is the kids that are supposed to be knock down shooters. Baker, Juzang and now Allen were held to a different standard than the other players. I believe this is a big reason why he can't develop role players.

It really ticks me off!!
Me too. I call it "pulling a Willis" when I see him climbing in a kid's ass for something a 5 star kid gets a pass on.
I remember listening to Cal make excuses for not playing Willis for years. It angered me. And that's when I really started to doubt Cal. "Derek you don't play hard defense I can't play you!!!!!" He'd roll that nonsense out every Monday and post-game show like it was a great joke. All the while Murray couldn't guard a street sign. Yeah defense is why some kids don't play. Yeah.

You know he's already thinking it. With Cal throwing the clipboard when he missed a 3 and then bitching him out, after the game per Jones on postgame. I'd be thinking it and frankly I would not blame him. Cal needs to earn his money and find out how to effectively use Allen. He needs time and touches. His skill would open up the brick layers drives to the basket.

Oh it was visible on tv. First thing I noticed when Allen's 3 missed was Cal throwing the clipboard in a tantrum. I don't know if it was because he missed, because he was a little off-balance, or because that wasn't the designed play (which suggests we design plays), but it was absurd.

He bitched him out after the buzzer in what clearly looked like a "why didn't you go get the ball" moment on the inbounds pass, which resulted in Sarr getting it and passing to Mintz. Until I'm told otherwise, I believe Cal drew it up for Allen to take that game-tying shot and Allen didn't go after it.

I have finally come to believe that I would be OK with Cal leaving. His strategy/philosophy has grown stagnant.

Damn bruh, you were a big pumper. If you have turned the corner, Cal is in trouble
I’ve always felt this way, I just kept quiet about it because I assumed cal would change and try to retain players. Well...last years mass departure and this years start with the horrid O broke me. This isn’t working. He’s got to change his approach.

Oh it was visible on tv. First thing I noticed when Allen's 3 missed was Cal throwing the clipboard in a tantrum. I don't know if it was because he missed, because he was a little off-balance, or because that wasn't the designed play (which suggests we design plays), but it was absurd.

He bitched him out after the buzzer in what clearly looked like a "why didn't you go get the ball" moment on the inbounds pass, which resulted in Sarr getting it and passing to Mintz. Until I'm told otherwise, I believe Cal drew it up for Allen to take that game-tying shot and Allen didn't go after it.

Maybe. But who calls the last shot for a guy he rarely puts in the game.
Is he the best chance for a critical shot but not good enough to actually get minutes.

Cal actually believes his own hype, sort of like the fake news media.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
I’ve always felt this way, I just kept quiet about it because I assumed cal would change and try to retain players. Well...last years mass departure and this years start with the horrid O broke me. This isn’t working. He’s got to change his approach.
Just be prepared to get attacked, called names and labeled a member of THE CLOD by those that are blind to what is happening. It’s not fun, but what can you do about it?

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Just be prepared to get attacked, called names and labeled a member of THE CLOD by those that are blind to what is happening. It’s not fun, but what can you do about it?
I don’t care, I can see both sides but, Eventually guys like bassfan will wake up and realize you need experience in college ball. You can see the same thing happening to duke.

It's broken and the empty suit in charge doesn't seem to care. Does the athletic department care ? Doesn't seem that way. It's gotta hurt the bottom line enough that a change is made eventually

We can’t win titles with mostly freshman, we can’t do it. If you want proof look no further than Cal’s 3 best teams at UK
2012 (38-2)
Sophomores
Terrance Jones
Doron Lamb
Seniors
Darrius Miller
Elroy Vargas
2015(38-1)
Juniors
Willie Cauley-Stein
Alex Poythress
Sophomores
Andrew Harrison
Aaron Harrison
Dakari Johnson
Marcus Lee
2017(32-6)
Sophomores
Briscoe
Humphries
Seniors
Willis
Hawkins
Look at cals youngest teams
2018-sweet 16 loss
2016- second round loss
2013-NIT first round loss

While I do think that having a few upperclassmen to blend with incoming freshmen is the ideal mix, 2016 was definitely not one of Cal's youngest teams.

JB

Reactions: RunninRichie
For perspective, the lineup KU ran out there last night that turned the game and closed out with was the following who had these rankings coming out of HS:

Garrett #55
Harris #94
Agbaji #132
Braun #130
Wilson #53

Except for Garrett, Self will have those guys all back next year too, which means they’ll
keep getting better. Those fans that want to win the recruiting wars, and have the top class every year I think are blinded. A #1 class ranking means another 3-4 guys who will all think they are expected to go 1 and done. Cal promotes this as the expectation, so why wouldn’t hey think that? It’s like if you aren’t then you are somehow not successful, so these kids feel that pressure. This is on Cal as it’s the culture he’s created.

Braun, a 6’6 unathletic guard with no great wingspan, had 13...13!...rebounds and sealed it with his final one at the end last night. Give me a 130th ranked player like that who will hustle and outwork everyone, oh and stay for 4 years and greatly improve, all day. That type of player has way more value than any of the 1 and done guards that have been coming through the system lately.
Braun is pretty athletic.

I always wondered in the 14-15 season, after Poythress got injured, why disrupt the 5 for 5 substitution pattern? He still had Willis and Hawkins on the bench. He could have still gone Harrison, Harrison, Lyles, WCS, KAT as starters with Ullis, Booker, Lee, Johnson and then Willis or Hawkins depending on the opponent and what you needed in the game.

Don't get me wrong Poythress was a huge loss that season - but you really didn't need a whole lot from Willis/Hawkins and you still could have pummeled opponents with that constant 5 for 5 substitution pattern. And whose to say that Willis/Hawkins wouldn't get better with more playing time and in game experience?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT