ADVERTISEMENT

It’s time to accept the system is broken

Cal wants to win NC's, but it comes second to putting guys in the NBA. He has that backwards.

So he should get guys that won’t go pro after a year, or maybe never, meaning lesser talent and a chance to go deep in the tournament every few years instead of almost every year. No thanks. You think the loons of the fanbase would say “ yeah, we aren’t a threat every year but guys are coming back so I’m all good.” Hahaha

Last edited:
So he should get guys that won’t go pro after a year, or maybe never, meaning lesser talent and a chance to go deep in the tournament every few years instead of almost every year. No thanks. You think the loons of the fanbase would say “ yeah, we aren’t a threat every year but guys are coming back so I’m all good.” Hahaha
i just want 4 and 5 star seniors and juniors with 5 star freshmen sprinkled in lol

Reactions: gojvc and KyFaninNC
I agree.

But the way Cal treats kids that aren't NBA ready from the time they arrive, it's hard to see kids staying 3/4 years. The way he threw his Clipboard in the 2nd half when Allen missed a 3 coming out of a timeout made me SICK!! Then he jumped all over him again at the end of the game for some odd reason even though Mintz dribbled the length of the court and jacked up a contested 3. That's ridiculous!!!!

The way Cal treats the kids that we need to stay 3/4 years is a big reason they don't stay. It's become a pattern.
Well done bro. If you ain’t a 5 star, you ain’t crap at UK

I
Different things frustrate us all. I get miserable when I see a team that has absolutely no chance of going deep in March, so November and December losses dont even register with me as long as I have hope.
me too, just gotta hope the PG play improves and the shot selection and spacing.

I

me too, just gotta hope the PG play improves and the shot selection and spacing.

Those are the three things and it will be fun to watch as that’s Cal getting them to play for each other and I don’t see any head cases obstructing that. Teague won a title by facilitating. Cal will get one of those two PG’s on the right track soon.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Just be prepared to get attacked, called names and labeled a member of THE CLOD by those that are blind to what is happening. It’s not fun, but what can you do about it?
I've always wondered but never asked... What does CLOD stand for? Cal live or die?

Baker shot 31% from three
Juzang shot 32.5% from three

Maybe the problem was neither were knock down shooters.
Buddy Hield shot 23.8% his freshman year at Oklahoma. The real payoff for these type kids is in their junior and senior years. But you never get that if they leave after their freshman year. I think the ceiling was a little lower for Baker but it broke my heart when I heard Juzang was leaving.

Buddy Hield shot 23.8% his freshman year at Oklahoma. The real payoff for these type kids is in their junior and senior years. But you never get that if they leave after their freshman year. I think the ceiling was a little lower for Baker but it broke my heart when I heard Juzang was leaving.
Most people don’t realize how hard at is to be an effective shooter at the college level. It takes a lot of hard work to learn how to properly square up and release when you're being heavily guarded/chased and release very quickly.
These kids leave long before we get to see them mature.
It’s great for the kids and Cal, but not so.much for UK and UK fans.
Yeah, it makes me sound selfish, but this is supposed to he a college program and without fan interest, it doesn't work.

Reactions: gojvc
Sadly the first time Cal starts taking 50-100th ranked type players, the usual crowd will lose their freaking mind. They can’t help but be blinded by the shiny new toy all of the time.
Since 2008, Cal is winning almost 8 games MORE per year when he has a top 5 pick on the roster. That is why some of us want the shiny new toy if the toy is legit.

Reactions: Cats192
Cal’s approach and philosophy isn’t likely to change, so some people just need to get over that. Personally I think it comes down to his coaching staff more than anything. KP was the only coach that had a track record of solid developmental tactics. I’d love for him to part ways with Barbee and Flint and get some fresh coaching ability with proven success on the bench. This staff is not going to win us another championship.

Cal Legion of Doom, lol. It was stupid under tubby and it's stupid now. Cal has had more support at UK, far more, than any coach we've ever had. Joe B Hall was treated terribly and performed very similar. It's just bullshit to cover for a Calipari man crush.

That's why CLOWNS are far more fitting than CLODS.

"Calipari Legion of Whipped Nut Saggers"

Reactions: Cats192
My starterswould b Sarr , Jackson, Mintz at point , Allen and whichever freshman Cal thinks compliments those four the most . Those four would establish a cohesive unit quickly and the burger boys would follow .
Others play as needed . We use them to win an NCAA rather than them using us to win a big pro payday .

The broken system is the relationship between the NBA and the NCAA. Taking players who leave early more times than not is not in the interest of the NBA team that takes them. They take them because they are afraid that they will miss out on a guy with a ton of potential that may or may not pan out.
if one didn’t know better, you’d think the NBA was intentionally hurting college basketball in hopes of stealing college fans. Do I know better—I don’t think I do.

The broken system is the relationship between the NBA and the NCAA. Taking players who leave early more times than not is not in the interest of the NBA team that takes them. They take them because they are afraid that they will miss out on a guy with a ton of potential that may or may not pan out.
if one didn’t know better, you’d think the NBA was intentionally hurting college basketball in hopes of stealing college fans. Do I know better—I don’t think I do.
the NBA is certainly part of the problem, with that being said...cal is the man who installed this culture of 1/2 years at UK and then bounce. Look, I have 0 problem with the Walls,Foxs, and the Davises going to the draft. It’s the EJ Montgomeries the Sacha Killeya-jones’ the Johnny Juzangs and Jemarl Bakers that need to stick around.

Since 2008, Cal is winning almost 8 games MORE per year when he has a top 5 pick on the roster. That is why some of us want the shiny new toy if the toy is legit.
So you are one of those who is content with winning SEC championships and losing in the S16/E8 most years? I never said don’t take a top 5 guy, but surround him with a bunch of skilled, steady upper classmen.

2013, 2016 and 2018 we were not threats to win the title. And I would argue last year's team did not stand a chance either considering they lost to UT at home and had to beat a mediocre UF team the last two games of the year and Hagans becoming a head case. That team was going nowhere quick. So, 4 out of 10 years we were not a threat to go deep in the tourney. Cal's way is not the only way to compete for titles.

2013, 2016 and 2018 we were not threats to win the title. And I would argue last year's team did not stand a chance either considering they lost to UT at home and had to beat a mediocre UF team the last two games of the year and Hagans becoming a head case. That team was going nowhere quick. So, 4 out of 10 years we were not a threat to go deep in the tourney. Cal's way is not the only way to compete for titles.

So what aresome of our unsatisfied fans gonna do? He’s not leaving and he’s not taking advice from anyone here. I guess you can quit watching?

man its just hard to say if the system is broke - we definitely had lightning in a bottle for about five years there and probably missed out on another title or two. I think Cal has proven that he is willing to adapt. He also always seems to get his teams playing well at the right time. This team is concerning because we just dont have a point guard. You finally get the long wings you need and then you have a guy in Askew that just is not ready for high D-1 ball and is very slow and not a great ball handler - both things that are VERY concerning. He struggles getting the team in their sets and hes getting pushed out to 35 feet. I dont think the system is broken, Cal is doing what he has said he was going to do be a players first program. Putting kids in the NBA and changing their lives has been his selling point the whole time. He hasnt lied. Kind of like Joe Biden who told us "he had put the best voter fraud team together in history" and he was correct. Cal has never hidden the fact that that was his first goal and that championships were secondary. Important to him but secondary... so the system is not broke it is going exactly as planned we just dont have elite, elite players this year across the board. Will Cal get another title doing it this way without half his team having some kind of experience to put around the talented frosh? I seriously doubt it, but Cal has created this system where is Askew is not ready , than Cal will just recruit over him instead of him being a more improved sophomore next year... it just is what it is..

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I’ve always felt this way, I just kept quiet about it because I assumed cal would change and try to retain players. Well...last years mass departure and this years start with the horrid O broke me. This isn’t working. He’s got to change his approach.
Me too brother. I’m standing on the deck wearing a lifejacket as we speak. If we suck it up and have more mass departures this season I’m jumping. I want to jump ship now but I’m holding a glimmer of hope that Cal isn’t ready to be put to pasture.

So what aresome of our unsatisfied fans gonna do? He’s not leaving and he’s not taking advice from anyone here. I guess you can quit watching?
He's not leaving because he makes too much money, I agree. I think all that money and power from being the coach at UK has made him fat and happy. But if he keeps laying turds every regular season he may get run out of town like the last two guys.

He's not leaving because he makes too much money, I agree. I think all that money and power from being the coach at UK has made him fat and happy. But if he keeps laying turds every regular season he may get run out of town like the last two guys.

It's possible. One thing is for sure, UK basketball will survive with or without him and I try to enjoy the season's regardless of what happens.

Not trying to pick a fight, I seriously curious what you mean by that? What has Cal adapted to?

Sorry I just saw this.. well let me go back to the UMASS days . He played a ball control, motion offense went 7 deep - then went to Memphis and saw the dribble drive and brought in coaches to show him how to run it- showed with the 15` team that he would play a platoon system to get everyone in (I think that was a very bad choice but it does show adaptation). Has been open to running different defenses though not a zone (hes been stubborn on that)- I think he has adapted with the style of play over the years and been ready and willing to experiment with different offenses and systems.

Sorry I just saw this.. well let me go back to the UMASS days . He played a ball control, motion offense went 7 deep - then went to Memphis and saw the dribble drive and brought in coaches to show him how to run it- showed with the 15` team that he would play a platoon system to get everyone in (I think that was a very bad choice but it does show adaptation). Has been open to running different defenses though not a zone (hes been stubborn on that)- I think he has adapted with the style of play over the years and been ready and willing to experiment with different offenses and systems.
Thanks for the reply. I don’t see it. I see the same defense since he has been here. Go and watch some games from 2012 and notice how he used the switching even then. But we had AD back there to swat things away. The twins were abused by UCONN guards. Cal stubbornly refuses to change a defense or offense that is not working.

You think THAT'S adapting?
He HAD to platoon in 2015, that's not adapting, that's just making a single decision based on the overwhelming talent he had.
He hasn't switched defenses, it's the ssme switching man to man he's had since day 1.
He has ran the same exact offense and out of bounds plays since he got here, which are both incredibly lame. He even tried to Turn Skal into a back to the basket center. WTF?
Oh he's adapted alright, he figured out new clever ways to get his players to the NBA or GL faster than anyone else. He deserves mad credit for his pro-day idea. Yeah Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT