ADVERTISEMENT

It’s so darn obvious our best lineup is

Catfanlou

Sophomore
Oct 30, 2014
Ugonna, Thiero or Mitchell Dilly, Reed and Reeves . No other lineup is even close. You have TWO top five or ten lottery picks you don’t start . Dilly you sit out most of the first half.
I just want to scream. I don’t sleep I’m so pissed off.
My coach told me not to shoot because if almost all if our shots came from two players we would score more points and the way the game works the team that scores more points wins . I accepted that . UK basketball is not a church league . What the hell is going on .
Ya ya ya I know our chief priority is to prepare Kids for NBA and if we win a few games in the process no big deal . We will win draft night . I hate it. I hate it .

Bradshaw and Burks. combined to play 14 minutes .. At this point is it not obvious those 14 minutes should go to someone else ? His last name starts with a Z . SMH .. this is all so stupid and Cal should be tarred and feathered over this situation alone . But its went on for years and expected now

Ivisic was in the lineup when we made the run at the end of the first half........ the fact he is a legit threat to hit shots opens things up more........ best lineup has him in it and you teach him and get him experience get him better at defense..... He's our best scoring /shooting and rebounding big per minute played.
Most would admit Z is far behind on defense but he also the most with the far upside. I’m not even sure he’s behind Bradshaw on defense yet Bradshaw plays ahead of him regardless. Cal not getting Z as many minutes as possible is coaching malpractice but everything with Cal is. He is by far the worst in the country at his job.

Ugonna, Thiero or Mitchell Dilly, Reed and Reeves . No other lineup is even close. You have TWO top five or ten lottery picks you don’t start . Dilly you sit out most of the first half.
My coach told me not to shoot because if almost all if our shots came from two players we would score more points and the way the game works the team that scores more points wins . I accepted that . UK basketball is not a church league . What the hell is going on .
Ya ya ya I know our chief priority is to prepare Kids for NBA and if we win a few games in the process no big deal . We will win draft night . I hate it. I hate it .
You just can't have Reeves and Sheppard off the floor any. If those five played most of the game I think we are OK against anyone.

But Cal doesn't play the best line up, he has obligations and promises to keep for his 5 stars.

2015 with Ulis on the bench. This year it's Dilly and Reed. You know Tyler HAS to see it.

His lineups that year were fine. There was no reason to NOT start the twins when they were like 50-1 going into that Wisconsin game, going back to the year prior.

His problem was tightening up late, The pressure got to him and he stalled, as he usually does when the games get down to the wire. Officiating of course didn't help, but that's par for the course at this point.

But the lineups were fine. Booker was in a woeful shooting slump too.

It's criminal that Rob and Reed don't start. Name another team in the country where 2 out of the top 3 players are coming off the bench for 2 players who have consistently underperformed.
I looked it up the other day, there were only 3 games RD played 30 or more mins and 15 where he played 24 or less. As you say, criminal. At this point he is just trolling us.

When Mitchell comes back. The only way a seven footer would see the floor would be if a post up player was killing us, ie Dickerson with Kansas. Ugo has played a couple good games but they all are too soft. Go small and let the pieces fall where they may.

It's criminal that Rob and Reed don't start. Name another team in the country where 2 out of the top 3 players are coming off the bench for 2 players who have consistently underperformed.
We struggled starting the game so that has to have something to do with. Shep, Dillingham, Reeves, Thiero and Mitchell should be the starters. That bound to help with our slow starts. Wagner and Edwards obviously not better than those guys. Coddling the five stars has been a problem with Cal for a long time. Was hoping he would change this season.

Ivisic was in the lineup when we made the run at the end of the first half........ the fact he is a legit threat to hit shots opens things up more........ best lineup has him in it and you teach him and get him experience get him better at defense..... He's our best scoring /shooting and rebounding big per minute played.
He didn't record a single stat last night, not a single stat, aside from 1 personal foul. I know intangibles exist, but in his 3 minutes, quite literally did nothing offensively and looked lost defensively. Correlation does not imply causation

• Love
Reactions: bIhawk
I'd bet anything, statistically, Ugo isn't in our best lineup. Lineup +/- is available somewhere I'm sure. I'd be willing to bet anything that it's Rob, Reed, Reeves, Adou, and Trey. Btw, season long +/- is about as good as you're going to get on what your best combination is on the floor together.

I think Dillingham is electric and needs to be on the floor in crunch time. I will point out as Kyle Tucker mentioned on Twitter, we are 12 - 2 when he plays less than 24 minutes and are now 3 - 4 when he scores 18 plus. You have to ask why are the results like that. He brings a lot to the lineup but what is going on if he plays too long or scores too much. Those results beg that question.

I think Dillingham is electric and needs to be on the floor in crunch time. I will point out as Kyle Tucker mentioned on Twitter, we are 12 - 2 when he plays less than 24 minutes and are now 3 - 4 when he scores 18 plus. You have to ask why are the results like that. He brings a lot to the lineup but what is going on if he plays too long or scores too much. Those results beg that question.
Not every short term stat makes sense. Dillingham is a long way from being our problem. Last night if he'd played 10 more minutes and those minutes came from Wagner and Edwards UK would have won.

Not every short term stat makes sense. Dillingham is a long way from being our problem. Last night if he'd played 10 more minutes and those minutes came from Wagner and Edwards UK would have won.
also if we make 1 of the multiple missed layups and dunks we had, we win.

also if we make 1 of the multiple missed layups and dunks we had, we win.
Of course, when you lose by 1 every basket counts. That's why, in a close game, you put your best team on the floor as many minutes as possible. Doing otherwise is putting winning close games behind some other goal.

I wish guys like Kyle with access to the premium advanced stats would concentrate on lineup construction rather than one individual player. There's no damned way the lineups Cal always plays are the ones that are the most efficient.

I'm a HS coach. We use Hudl for everything. We base playing time primarily on how the lineups perform together over the course of the season. Our only issue is we don't get real time access to the numbers during games, but they do at this level. And Cal just goes on feeling and level of frustration rather than analytical results.

Again, that lineup that made the big run at the end of the first half didn't play one damned second together in the second half. Lunacy.

I wish guys like Kyle with access to the premium advanced stats would concentrate on lineup construction rather than one individual player. There's no damned way the lineups Cal always plays are the ones that are the most efficient.

I'm a HS coach. We use Hudl for everything. We base playing time primarily on how the lineups perform together over the course of the season. Our only issue is we don't get real time access to the numbers during games, but they do at this level. And Cal just goes on feeling and level of frustration rather than analytical results.

Again, that lineup that made the big run at the end of the first half didn't play one damned second together in the second half. Lunacy.
That one word describes Cal's lineups and playing time allocation perfectly.

Rob at one point in the 1st half was 1-6 from the floor with a couple of TO's. You have to let him play through his struggles and not limit his PT because he can catch fire at the drop of a dime.

No, Rob doesn't stay cold for long so you can limit his time. It's Edwards, Wagner, and Bradshaw you have to keep playing so you don't hurt their confidence.
I completely disagree. Wagner? Ok. But Edwards and especially Bradshaw are liabilities. Every minute Edwards gets keeps our 3 guard lineup off the floor. Bradshaw should get minutes behind Ugo only until Mitchell comes back.

I will also point out that while it is a flawed stat, Rob had the worst +/- last night as well. That stat is more of an indicator on the flawed line up construction than the minute and point totals for Rob during the wins and losses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT