ADVERTISEMENT

I just had a scary thought about Mitchell likely being out...

ukfan1622

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2021
That means our starting lineup is going to be:

DJ, Reeves, Edwards, Thiero, Ugo

If you're counting that's ONE good perimeter threat in the lineup.

I like Thiero better than several of those starters but if that lineup is on the floor they'll work hard to make sure Reeves doesn't catch the ball much and pretty much ALL our shots will be from DJ and Edwards. Auburn will outscore us by 5 points every 3 minute stretch that lineup is on the floor.

Inputting Mitchell in for Theiro is still a horrible lineup on the floor to start the game or any other time for that matter. Horrible lineups is a cal specialty however. 2 of reeves/dilly/shep should be on the floor at all times and at times all 3. I would start all 3 for this game at Auburn along with Theiro and Mitchell (if he could go) but since he can’t I would start Ugo. Have Z ready to come in along with burks/Edwards and Wagner. Bradshaw gets emergency use only. As it is, Z and burks will be in emergency use only and Edwards/bradshaw will play at least 40 minutes between them as we lose by 15-20 points.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I agree with everybody that has posted so far but I just assume that Cal will not bench DJ since we won last
game with him starting. That means he will just replace Mitchell with either Thiero and Bradshaw. So I just assumed it would be Thiero. But Cal is entirely capable of starting Ugo and Bradshaw together.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
There's NO WAY the following three don't start: DJ, Reeves and Ugo. Regardless of how you feel about it. those three will be on the court. So that leaves two spots (see how I can quickly do math?).

It's hard NOT to start Thiero because of defense, rebounding, and all-around hustle. So, move Thiero to the four spot and put Dilly in for the three-guard lineup to start.

We'll be crazy small, so we'll get beat on the boards, but the scoring punch will hopefully keep us in the game. Then, after the first TV timeout (assuming we've held our own from a scoring perspective), you revert to a traditional lineup with Edwards at the four.

I realize I'm in the minority, but I like Shep coming off the bench.

why isnt shep in that game.Wagner wont share the ball if sheps in a corner open dj swings the ball away from him hes jealous the ball dies with him or he throws up a prayer in the lane no kick out.!!!
The amount of prognostication and mind reading that goes on in this place should qualify RR as a psychic phenomenon.
Take note geniuses, the above is strictly the butthurt guesswork of Barnabus. Don't quote it so much that it becomes RR fact.

I like Thiero better than several of those starters but if that lineup is on the floor they'll work hard to make sure Reeves doesn't catch the ball much and pretty much ALL our shots will be from DJ and Edwards. Auburn will outscore us by 5 points every 3 minute stretch that lineup is on the floor.
1. Haven’t heard anywhere that Mitchel is likely out. He may be, but likely is a bit strong at this moment.
2. Even if he is out, that starting lineup isn’t that different than what we have been rolling with. Dillingham and Reed check in early, sometimes before the first timeout, so still don’t get the obsession on who starts.

Last edited:
1. Haven’t hears anywhere that Mitchel is likely out. He may be, but likely is a bit strong at this moment.
2. Even if he is out, that starting lineup isn’t that different than what we have been rolling with. Dillingham and Rees check in early, sometimes before the first timeout, so still don’t get the obsession on who starts.
Because, like I said, that lineup will likely get outscored significantly in every stretch they play together and we can't exactly afford to spot Auburn points at their place. It's just a recipe to get behind early in a tough road game. If Cal starts the lineup I predicted(or worse with Bradshaw instead of Thiero), come back to this thread after 3 minutes and say "see, I told you the starters don't matter". I bet you won't feel like saying that at the time.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BlueTick2

If that group were on the floor for long, I agree they would struggle scoring.
But, that will NOT be the lineup for a very long period.

Sheppard has averaged 35.5 mpg over the last 6 games, 1st on the team. Even if you toss out the OT, he has averaged 34.7 mpg (out of 40). And I'm sure some of those 5 min he didn't play in those games had Rob in with Reeves.
I think we would all like to see some, I say 10-15mpg of the 3 R's together. Maybe the odds of that go up with Mitchell out, as Cal may play Edwards some at the 4. I'd also like to see some Z at the 4, but I think the statement made from the last game is that is unlikely to happen. I think we may be more likely to see Burks than Z.

Don’t be too concerned with who starts, that’s Boomer Generation mentality! I know every other coach in the history of sports besides John Calipari follows that ancient philosophy of starting the absolute best lineup, but it’s been proven by the Great One himself that it’s the cutting edge approach now!

Just ask any of the Erin’s that lurks on this forum, they will tell you it’s the reason for UK’s amazing record this season! Oh, wait🤣

If that group were on the floor for long, I agree they would struggle scoring.
But, that will NOT be the lineup for a very long period.
If it's only the 1st 3 minutes of each half that'll be a minimum 10 point deficit the other lineups will have to overcome. On the road against a team that's been better than us so far. At no point in an undecided game should a lineup with only 1 perimeter threat ever be on the floor in the modern game if the coach has another shooter on the bench. Nowhere else in the world but Rupp Rafters is the concept of starting your best players even a matter of debate. No other coach on the planet thinks you should start games with 2 of your 3 best players on the bench.

If it's only the 1st 3 minutes of each half that'll be a minimum 10 point deficit the other lineups will have to overcome. On the road against a team that's been better than us so far. At no point in an undecided game should a lineup with only 1 perimeter threat ever be on the floor in the modern game if the coach has another shooter on the bench. Nowhere else in the world but Rupp Rafters is the concept of starting your best players even a matter of debate. No other coach on the planet thinks you should start games with 2 of your 3 best players on the bench.
First of all, that's 6 minutes, which is more than the <5 minutes I stated.
Secondly, WHEN those minutes occur does not matter. What matters is HOW MANY MINUTES. If it's the first 2-3 min of a half, or the middle 2-3 min each half, or the last 2-3 min of each half, using your "10pt deficit" assumption, every 10 point swing counts the same. But I agree we shouldn't, there is no reason to (except fouls or injuries) have only 1 good perimeter player on the floor at a time. Most important is MAXIMIZING the minutes of your best players. This is the same concept that shows that benching your best player in first half after 2 fouls is flawed, because you are not maximizing the amount of time he is on the floor across the game.
I'm not saying we shouldn't start our best players. I'm saying that if we don't, is not a big deal. Much bigger deals are:
- getting 25-30 (good) mpg from Dillingham, not the 18-20 the last 2 games
- benching Edwards if he's not contributing
- Bradshaw (same as Edwards)
- trying to get Z quickly caught up defensively so he can play (the 4 in Mitchell's absence)
- getting Reed to put up more shots (8-15/gm)

We will be down 10-15 pts by the 15 minute mark of the 1st Saturday due to the starting lineup.

Already prepared for it.

Reactions: Kuhldaddy

You did not state <5 minutes; you just said that would not play very long together and when I said 6 minutes I was talking about the 1st THREE minutes of each half. In case you have not noticed Cal starts the same guys each half and there is almost never a substitution before 3 minutes have been played.
Secondly, WHEN those minutes occur does not matter. What matters is HOW MANY MINUTES. If it's the first 2-3 min of a half, or the middle 2-3 min each half, or the last 2-3 min of each half, using your "10pt deficit" assumption, every 10 point swing counts the same.
What you are saying is that getting behind early on the road has no significant effect on the team; that it is not a psychological negative. You are wrong. How a team starts can affect their psyche the rest of the game.

By the way, I agreed with the rest of your post not quoted here.

Probably Ugo and Edwards 25+ mins=another loss. Z 0-5 mins.

Cal will have some of his amazing lineups like against the Zags when he had Burks, Ugo and Edwards out there together.🤡💩

The first few minutes, particularly in front of a rabid road crowd DOES matter. Why give Auburn momentum and get the crowd even more psyched up? I don't understand putting a bunch of suspect shooters in the starting lineup.

I agree with everybody that has posted so far but I just assume that Cal will not bench DJ since we won last
game with him starting. That means he will just replace Mitchell with either Thiero and Bradshaw. So I just assumed it would be Thiero. But Cal is entirely capable of starting Ugo and Bradshaw together.
There is no good situation for UK basketball that includes DJ on the bench.

We would have won 3 more games with him playing.

This team will go as far as Wagner takes it.

The first few minutes, particularly in front of a rabid road crowd DOES matter. Why give Auburn momentum and get the crowd even more psyched up? I don't understand putting a bunch of suspect shooters in the starting lineup.
Thank you for putting everything I was trying to say in a shorter, clearer way of speaking.

You did not state <5 minutes; you just said that would not play very long together and when I said 6 minutes I was talking about the 1st THREE minutes of each half. In case you have not noticed Cal starts the same guys each half and there is almost never a substitution before 3 minutes have been played.

What you are saying is that getting behind early on the road has no significant effect on the team; that it is not a psychological negative. You are wrong. How a team starts can affect their psyche the rest of the game.

By the way, I agreed with the rest of your post not quoted here.
I did state "<5 minutes". Go look at the next paragraph I typed, which you did not include in your quote.
Sure getting behind could be a phychological negative, just at making a run an erasing a deficit can be one for the opponent or a positive one for your team.

Maybe Cal will shock us with Reed, Wagner, Reeves, Z, Ugo. I would add Dillingham, but 1) that's asking for too much, and 2) Cal likes & I do too that spark he provides off the bench. But I would like to see him for more like 25-30min if he can stay out of foul trouble (which he hasn't 1/3 of the games).

I did state "<5 minutes". Go look at the next paragraph I typed, which you did not include in your quote.
Sure getting behind could be a phychological negative, just at making a run an erasing a deficit can be one for the opponent or a positive one for your team.
I did go back and reread. You were talking about Sheppard's minutes, saying some of the less than 5 minutes surely had Rob in with Reeves. Which is a completely different subject.

My post is about why it is bad to start or play any significant amount of time with only ONE perimeter threat on the floor. That is the case if DJ, Ugo, Edwards and either Theiro or Bradshaw start. If Reeves or Dilly were in together that equals TWO perimeter threats on the floor. Try to keep up.

You have right lineup and reserves but you don't have to tell me; tell it to Cal. Somebody please tell it to Cal; surely somebody that has access to Cal could tell him something everybody but him knows.
Unfortunately, Cal wouldn't listen. We need DJ to get the flu and Edwards to tweak his ankle. That's the only way.

Yea, because it's not like UK is 1-4 with Reed starting and being relied on heavily or anything!

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Lord, UK fans are willing to watch their team burn so long as they can say their token white boys played.
Troll

• Haha
Reactions: YouGuysAreInbred
There's NO WAY the following three don't start: DJ, Reeves and Ugo. Regardless of how you feel about it. those three will be on the court. So that leaves two spots (see how I can quickly do math?).

It's hard NOT to start Thiero because of defense, rebounding, and all-around hustle. So, move Thiero to the four spot and put Dilly in for the three-guard lineup to start.

We'll be crazy small, so we'll get beat on the boards, but the scoring punch will hopefully keep us in the game. Then, after the first TV timeout (assuming we've held our own from a scoring perspective), you revert to a traditional lineup with Edwards at the four.

I realize I'm in the minority, but I like Shep coming off the bench.
I'm confused. Where is this "scoring punch" you're referring to?

Yea, because it's not like UK is 1-4 with Reed starting and being relied on heavily or anything!

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Lord, UK fans are willing to watch their team burn so long as they can say their token white boys played.

what’s sadder is that you’re the one spewing hatred, even with the alias you just created. It’s always the crappy person pointing the finger these days, smh

• Haha
Reactions: YouGuysAreInbred
Where's the hate? Everything I said is 100% factual, which is why it's eating you all up and begging for the mods to handle it.

I know, them banning this username will obviously keep me gone FOREVER! 🤣

Keep telling yourself that you are the smartest guy in the room when you are the dumbest and are everything you spew about. Hahaha, I hope they let you keep making a fool of yourself.

Last edited:
There is no good situation for UK basketball that includes DJ on the bench.

We would have won 3 more games with him playing.

This team will go as far as Wagner takes it.
You're a troll. You are NOT a UK fan. There is simply no way. No sane human being would ever post any of the things you've posted, unless it was all meant ironically.

I did go back and reread. You were talking about Sheppard's minutes, saying some of the less than 5 minutes surely had Rob in with Reeves. Which is a completely different subject.

My post is about why it is bad to start or play any significant amount of time with only ONE perimeter threat on the floor. That is the case if DJ, Ugo, Edwards and either Theiro or Bradshaw start. If Reeves or Dilly were in together that equals TWO perimeter threats on the floor. Try to keep up.
Inference. If Reed is on the court for 35 minutes, then Wagner-Reeves-Edwards can't be the 1-2-3 guys for more than those other 5 minutes, and quite possibly even less if Rob is with Reeves but not Reed any at all.

Secondly, WHEN those minutes occur does not matter. What matters is HOW MANY MINUTES. If it's the first 2-3 min of a half, or the middle 2-3 min each half, or the last 2-3 min of each half, using your "10pt deficit" assumption, every 10 point swing counts the same.

That lineup (DJ, Reeves, Edwards, Thiero, Ugo) should get 0 minutes. We have 3 incredible shooters and 2 of them should be on the court at all times.

Reactions: ukfan1622
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT