ADVERTISEMENT

It’s so darn obvious our best lineup is

I will also point out that while it is a flawed stat, Rob had the worst +/- last night as well. That stat is more of an indicator on the flawed line up construction than the minute and point totals for Rob during the wins and losses.
Correct. INDIVIDUAL +/- on a singular game basis is absolutely worthless. It has a little more merit over the course of a season, but there are other much better measurables for an individual.

Lineup +/- is about the best indicator of who should and shouldn't play together. It also allows for the changes in lineup efficacy vs different opponents. And again, these dudes have real time numbers at their disposal. To not play that lineup that finished the first half together again the rest of the night is just pure and simple incompetence.

I completely disagree. Wagner? Ok. But Edwards and especially Bradshaw are liabilities. Every minute Edwards gets keeps our 3 guard lineup off the floor. Bradshaw should get minutes behind Ugo only until Mitchell comes back.
I was being sarcastic Tyrone, speaking from Cal's point of view. I agree with you 100%. In my opinion, already stated in several threads Wagner should be getting 10-12 mpg behind Shep and Dilly and Edwards 6-8 minutes backing up Reeves and Bradshaw getting as close to zero as possible.

I was being sarcastic Tyrone, speaking from Cal's point of view. I agree with you 100%. In my opinion, already stated in several threads Wagner should be getting 10-12 mpg behind Shep and Dilly and Edwards 6-8 minutes backing up Reeves and Bradshaw getting as close to zero as possible.
Don’t know how I missed the sarcasm. 🤣. Sorry about that.

Sheppard just set a school record with 5 steals in three straight games. Don't you think he would like to hear his name called out in the starting lineup as much as Wagner and Edwards? Seems almost dirty to me not starting your best and most deserving players.
We could say the same thing about Dillingham as for starting and he's not been getting as many minutes as Sheppard. Rather than dirty I'd say stupid and counterproductive if your goal is winning games.

Reactions: KyCatFan
We could say the same thing about Dillingham as for starting and he's not been getting as many minutes as Sheppard. Rather than dirty I'd say stupid and counterproductive if your goal is winning games.
Yeah, just used Shep as an example. You would think mistreating people would be the last thing a coach would do. Slow starts have been an issue for a few years now.

Reactions: ukfan1622
He didn't record a single stat last night, not a single stat, aside from 1 personal foul. I know intangibles exist, but in his 3 minutes, quite literally did nothing offensively and looked lost defensively. Correlation does not imply causation
Watch that part of the game again....... his man had to be right up on him........ the entire defense has to pay attention to him because he's a threat to score. that opens up things for the other players . MAKING DEFENDERS HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT GUARDING MAKES THEM MAKE MISTAKES...

Ivisic didnt record any stats but he was vital to that run because LSU had to watch out for him that they dont have to do with Bradshaw and Ugo.

Also Ivisic was good enough defensively yesterday...... ..we did go up by 9 with him in the game afterall.

His lineups that year were fine. There was no reason to NOT start the twins when they were like 50-1 going into that Wisconsin game, going back to the year prior.

His problem was tightening up late, The pressure got to him and he stalled, as he usually does when the games get down to the wire. Officiating of course didn't help, but that's par for the course at this point.

But the lineups were fine. Booker was in a woeful shooting slump too.
Cal went away from platooning as he had done all season as soon as he got into the NCAA tournament. He played the twins way more minutes than they had been playing. Cal played Booker, Ulis, and Trey Liles way less than when he was actually platooning the two groups.

His intent was to keep his promise to the twins dad to get the twins drafted. How did that turn out for UK and the twins??

Reactions: bigbluedon
Some of Rob's negative stats result from him being the one willing to take over a game when our backs are against the wall.
I love Antonio but when do you ever see a down the stretch performance from him like Rob put on.
I've always said that Reeves is a frontrunner, he kicks ass when the team is kicking ass.
I don't trust him to take a last shot, I don't think he's built for it the way Rob is.

Reactions: cathouse
I think four players that need to play 35-40 minutes a game are:

Reeves
Dillingham
Shepard
Thiero

I have no idea on the 5th player. There really isn't one.
Can’t say I disagree.

I’d go with:

Tre & Ugo at the 5
Adu & Justin at 4

Reed, Rob, Ant & Wag as backcourt.

That’s about the best 8 man rotation we can muster. Everyone else plays spot minutes here & there & only when absolutely necessary.

Maybe rotate Ugo with Z if the offense is a priority, even tho he’s further behind. He could also help pull the opposing big to the perimeter in an attempt to help us on the boards.

Cal went away from platooning as he had done all season as soon as he got into the NCAA tournament. He played the twins way more minutes than they had been playing. Cal played Booker, Ulis, and Trey Liles way less than when he was actually platooning the two groups.

His intent was to keep his promise to the twins dad to get the twins drafted. How did that turn out for UK and the twins??
If what you say is true that would mean Mr. Harrison was oblivious to his son's draft stock.
If they could've, they would have left with Randle.
By the time the 15 tourney rolled around the Harrison's draft stock was cemented.
Winning the championship wouldn't have got them picked higher.

He's "about these kids." He "can't take DJ and Justin's heart."

Some of Rob's negative stats result from him being the one willing to take over a game when our backs are against the wall.
I love Antonio but when do you ever see a down the stretch performance from him like Rob put on.
I've always said that Reeves is a frontrunner, he kicks ass when the team is kicking ass.
I don't trust him to take a last shot, I don't think he's built for it the way Rob is.
Auburn comes to mind this year. Every run Auburn made, Reeves hit the shot to stop it. Arkansas comes to mind last year.

I didn’t read the entire thread, but I bet the usual board contrarians are just fuming at the fact that they have absolutely no argument against the thread topic 🤣

The veins in their faces are probably barely resisting over expansion 😁

Yes but he was never playing from behind in either game.
You didn't say from behind. You said with our back against the wall. our back was against the wall against Auburn for sure. They went on many runs like LSU did except Reeves was able to make big shot after big shot to keep them from getting over the hump. Had he not been on the bench in foul trouble, it is reasonable to expect he could've/would've done the same against LSU.

I think lineup construction is KILLING the team….but I also want to point out that Dillingham is the worst guard defender in the Cal era. His off-ball defense is simply atrocious. HE is the one who constantly blows switches on defense and gives up layups on inbound plays the most. It’s just harder to recognize because we all watch the ball during the games and his on ball defense is okay. The staff is trying balance the offensive impact against the terrible defense. But I got nothing on Reed. He is clearly the best PG in half court situations. All the analytics say he should be playing the most minutes on the team and certainly starting.

Watch that part of the game again....... his man had to be right up on him........ the entire defense has to pay attention to him because he's a threat to score. that opens up things for the other players . MAKING DEFENDERS HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT GUARDING MAKES THEM MAKE MISTAKES...

Ivisic didnt record any stats but he was vital to that run because LSU had to watch out for him that they dont have to do with Bradshaw and Ugo.

Also Ivisic was good enough defensively yesterday...... ..we did go up by 9 with him in the game afterall.
I went back and watched it, and I stand by what I said. But in all seriousness, did YOU go back and watch it?

Big Z hasn't even crossed half court in transition on a couple of the buckets. LSU leaves him WIDE OPEN on a Reed drive, Reed looks at him, but kicks it to Edwards for a 3 instead. Again, Big Z's man was nooooo where close to him. Reed makes a contested layup, and it's contested because Z's guy was NOT guarding Z. Edwards has a middle drive, Z's guy stops him (again, NOT worrying about Z), Edwards kicks it out to Reeves, Reeves shot-fakes his guy then hits a step-side 3. Z fouls on a post-catch in the paint to give LSU bonus FTs.

I don't know what you're watching. I've got some respect for you because most of your posts seem pretty legit, but I literally just went back and watched is 2.5 minutes and I have no idea what you're thinking

Reactions: Padsfs07
I went back and watched it, and I stand by what I said. But in all seriousness, did YOU go back and watch it?

Big Z hasn't even crossed half court in transition on a couple of the buckets. LSU leaves him WIDE OPEN on a Reed drive, Reed looks at him, but kicks it to Edwards for a 3 instead. Again, Big Z's man was nooooo where close to him. Reed makes a contested layup, and it's contested because Z's guy was NOT guarding Z. Edwards has a middle drive, Z's guy stops him (again, NOT worrying about Z), Edwards kicks it out to Reeves, Reeves shot-fakes his guy then hits a step-side 3. Z fouls on a post-catch in the paint to give LSU bonus FTs.

I don't know what you're watching. I've got some respect for you because most of your posts seem pretty legit, but I literally just went back and watched is 2.5 minutes and I have no idea what you're thinking

Yeah BigZ is just not ready. He made two very lazy and low effort screens that I'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish. He needs another year. Which is nothing against him. He's young, he didn't get eligible until a month ago, and he's learning a game that's slightly different from what he played in Europe/FIBA.

Reactions: CatsFanIL
Yeah BigZ is just not ready. He made two very lazy and low effort screens that I'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish. He needs another year. Which is nothing against him. He's young, he didn't get eligible until a month ago, and he's learning a game that's slightly different from what he played in Europe/FIBA.
Totally agree. Plent of Big Z supporters on here don't seem to understand that. I mean, he missed 4 months of practice. Look how bad our guys struggle defensively that DID get those 4 months of practice - I mean, he's just so out of place on rotations, then really struggles in post position and getting bullied. I wish he wasn't such a liability defensively that way he could play more - Derek Willis, Dontaie Allen, etc - he's just in a group with those guys right now. Hopefully he'll get there sooner than later

I think four players that need to play 35-40 minutes a game are:

Reeves
Dillingham
Shepard
Thiero

I have no idea on the 5th player. There really isn't one.

Mitchell plays time at the 4/5. Ugo also plays some 5.

Edwards and Wagner provide backup support on the perimeter.

When Big Z got his foul I thought 'just stay on your feet and put your arms up.' But sure enough he jumps into the driver to try and block the shot. Maybe if he watches how Painter has coached Eddy to play defense? That guy has had four years of good coaching.

I looked it up the other day, there were only 3 games RD played 30 or more mins and 15 where he played 24 or less. As you say, criminal. At this point he is just trolling us.
Cal hates to give in to the Bennies. Was it last season we struggled and the fans wanted a certain lineup, but Cal refused to play it? Then he finally gave in and the Bennies looked like geniuses after the success of that lineup.

It's so darn obvious people were promised things that they shouldn't have been.
Wasn't there talk of Bradshaw possibly going to USC to join Bronny? Wonder if some promises were made to keep that from happening? Plus he doesn't want to do his former player wrong by not playing his son a bunch. He probably promised he would get him to the NBA in a year to keep him from going elsewhere also.

If what you say is true that would mean Mr. Harrison was oblivious to his son's draft stock.
If they could've, they would have left with Randle.
By the time the 15 tourney rolled around the Harrison's draft stock was cemented.
Winning the championship wouldn't have got them picked higher.
What is your explanation for Cal going away from the rotation he had used ALL YEAR to go 35-0 going into the NCAA????

That DEFINITELY happened.

What is your explanation for Cal going away from the rotation he had used ALL YEAR to go 35-0 going into the NCAA????

That DEFINITELY happened.
There really wasn't a true platoon after Alex went down.
It's all hindsight as the Harrison's had came through in big games over their career.
The ND game before both came through with big plays down the stretch to pull out a win.
As far as the draft goes, by Mar of 2015 the twins had been scouted extensively.
Nothing they did in the tourney was going to change their draft stock.
The NBA knew who they were and they both were drafted correctly based on the value they brought to a NBA team.

There really wasn't a true platoon after Alex went down.
It's all hindsight as the Harrison's had came through in big games over their career.
The ND game before both came through with big plays down the stretch to pull out a win.
As far as the draft goes, by Mar of 2015 the twins had been scouted extensively.
Nothing they did in the tourney was going to change their draft stock.
The NBA knew who they were and they both were drafted correctly based on the value they brought to a NBA team.
Alex going down should have in no way impacted Trey Liles, Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis minutes and you know it.

Just another excuse for a choke coaching job by your buddy. And he choked. That fact can't be overlooked because he blew a championship with the most talented team assembled in the past two decades.

And he still couldn't coach them to a championship.

Reactions: ukfan1622
Can’t say I disagree.

I’d go with:

Tre & Ugo at the 5
Adu & Justin at 4

Reed, Rob, Ant & Wag as backcourt.

That’s about the best 8 man rotation we can muster. Everyone else plays spot minutes here & there & only when absolutely necessary.

Maybe rotate Ugo with Z if the offense is a priority, even tho he’s further behind. He could also help pull the opposing big to the perimeter in an attempt to help us on the boards.
Again, I don't have access to it...but it's hard for me to imagine a scenario Z isn't in our most productive lineups.

Ugonna, Thiero or Mitchell Dilly, Reed and Reeves . No other lineup is even close. You have TWO top five or ten lottery picks you don’t start . Dilly you sit out most of the first half.
I just want to scream. I don’t sleep I’m so pissed off.
My coach told me not to shoot because if almost all if our shots came from two players we would score more points and the way the game works the team that scores more points wins . I accepted that . UK basketball is not a church league . What the hell is going on .
Ya ya ya I know our chief priority is to prepare Kids for NBA and if we win a few games in the process no big deal . We will win draft night . I hate it. I hate it .
I will also point out that while it is a flawed stat, Rob had the worst +/- last night as well. That stat is more of an indicator on the flawed line up construction than the minute and point totals for Rob during the wins and losses.
Rob himself has admitted, more than once, that he is not always locked in on the defensive end of the floor. The end of the LSU game was a case in point. As great as he can be on the offensive end, that's a problem.

Reactions: TCurtis75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT