ADVERTISEMENT

Is this right about UL stadium?

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
Saw in the paper that last night's attendance (approx 58,500) was a record crowd.

But per Phil Steele magazine, the renovated stadium holds 65,000. So . . . . have they never had a sellout? When was the renovation completed? Man, that is a lot of wasted money.

65,000 was just propaganda put out by Jurich to make people think their stadium was going to be bigger than ours after the expansion. Once the new regime took over they gave the real numbers and I think the total was just under 60k so the 58,500 was probably a sellout on paper.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
65,000 was just propaganda put out by Jurich to make people think their stadium was going to be bigger than ours after the expansion. Once the new regime took over they gave the real numbers and I think the total was just under 60k so the 58,500 was probably a sellout on paper.

Well, that makes some sense, bc it looked pretty full to me on TV.

Even if true, means they have not had a sellout one time?
Not since the stadium expansion, that just opened last season and that was a dumpster fire of epic proportions that no sane individual would go to witness. SO yeah, they couldn't even sell out with Notre Dame in town and a new coaching staff. Had Brohm decided to come coach there, he would have made the difference.

It’s just the 8th game since the expansion was added. Announced attendance at last year’s games were:

ISU 44,520

WKU 54,923

FSU 52,798

GT 52,658

WF 49,603

NCST 48,265

UK 49,988

The Last few of those were definitely tickets sold. If there were 20,000 at the Wake Forest and NC State games actually in attendance, I’d be very surprised.

I was at the ISU game ... tropical storm Gordon hit during the afternoon. Game was halted for over 3 hours due to lightning. It was quite a challenge getting out of Louisville that night with so many roads flooded!

^
OK, thanks, FWIW, UL looked much improved last night IMO, maybe 4-8 or even 5-7 type team, they definitely will not go 2-10 again. They definitely had more talent last year than their record reflects, just completely quit on Petrino.

Even if true, means they have not had a sellout one time?
Yes that's maybe true. I would have thought they would have sold out at least once as well but we all knew they over built. They have never had the turn out to justify the expansion they were doing.

I went to the game last night. There were a ton of military people there. Schools usually give them free tickets. I guess UL didn't want to risk looking bad on national TV so they pulled out the freebies for one of their two premier home games. UK usually does this for the worst team on the schedule.

[
^
OK, thanks, FWIW, UL looked much improved last night IMO, maybe 4-8 or even 5-7 type team, they definitely will not go 2-10 again. They definitely had more talent last year than their record reflects, just completely quit on Petrino.

It was an encouraging first start, but we won’t beat too many teams on our schedule with that combination of 3 turnovers and inconsistency in the passing game. It’s slightly better than what we saw last year, but not enough. I expect that we’re going to take our lumps this year with Pass.

[

It was an encouraging first start, but we won’t beat too many teams on our schedule with that combination of 3 turnovers and inconsistency in the passing game. It’s slightly better than what we saw last year, but not enough. I expect that we’re going to take our lumps this year with Pass.

UL played a pretty spirited first half. That last fumble just before half that resulted in a ND score was a killer. Not a bad effort. UL didn't seem very deep so they need to stay healthy.

anyone notice the announcers acting like UL fans were the epitome of stupid???

a few of the comments were probably right.. but one was right after a cheerleader got drilled in the face by a throw awat pass from notre dames QB. the crowd reacted and announcer thought they were booing asking for intentional grounding. pretty funny calling others dumb for not knowing something when it was you who didnt know what the boos were about.

I was at the game. Plenty of empty seats, especially in the sky deck. 4 seats empty in front of me and 10-12 the row behind me in section 224. They also have a decent number of fans that just hand out on the terrace drinking and never sit down.

I will however say that their new renovation only added to an already nice looking stadium. Their atmosphere for the game created by the music and interaction with the fans is MUCH better than Commonwealth. The fans however started piling out of the stadium at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

Louisville lists their official stadium capacity as 60,800.
as far as I know, that's it. Seating wise the north EZ expansion basically recaptured the 3,000 or so seats that had to be cut from the initial expansion due to the 1 year delay by the state legislature in approving a project in which they did not have one dime invested.

Quite frankly I was surprised by the ND turnout; pretty small IMO. FWIW, I guarantee you the Louisville crowd that traveled to South Bend in 2014 was much larger.

Peace

as far as I know, that's it. Seating wise the north EZ expansion basically recaptured the 3,000 or so seats that had to be cut from the initial expansion due to the 1 year delay by the state legislature in approving a project in which they did not have one dime invested.

Quite frankly I was surprised by the ND turnout; pretty small IMO. FWIW, I guarantee you the Louisville crowd that traveled to South Bend in 2014 was much larger.

Peace
It was almost like Notre Dame and their fans weren't that excited about playing UL.;)

I think last night they counted seats instead of people.
Not true. Official capacity is 61,000. The announced crowd was 58,187 which is about right as there were some empty seats in the nose bleeds. The empty seats in the upper decks can be deceiving however as many of the fans will buy those cheaper seats and hang out on the party deck on the first level. Smart move as it's awesome viewing of the game and close to concessions and restrooms.

When the latest expansion was first announced, it was for 10,000 additional seats which would have brought the stadium to 65,000 but was later downsized (and rightfully so) to 6,000 which put's it at it's current 61,000 capacity. At the time it was a good move as Jurich always expanded a year or two before the need was truly there. But then the athletic department and leadership took a nuclear bomb and the wheels fell off but the construction was already to far along to halt it. Hopefully one day Louisville will get back to the momentum it once had. But it's going to take some time and it will be hard to accomplish with the overall decline of attendance nationally.

Why are some acting ike a seat has never gone empty at Kroger?

If you’re an ul fan and don’t realize that ND is a huge draw and brings a lot of fans, you should bring back the hookers because you’ll not looking at this very intelligently.

What's funny is how they've used this talking point about how we had to downsize and they're expanding...because they're somehow attracting more fans?

We beat their attendance record 3 times last year.

Seemed like I saw a lot of empty seats there...
9411726.jpg

I was watching the second half. May just have been me. My vision sometimes blocks out stupid people. Like they’re not even there..

LOL

I didn't see many military folks as was stated in this thread. I have many times at Cardinal Stadium as I feel that's the least we can do for our soldiers stationed 20 miles away at Ft. Knox. I hope we continue to do this for the kids that put their life on the line so that we can live the way we do. There is no doubt that UK would also do this if they had a base so close. Why is attendance so important to some anyway. If you dont like going to the games dont go. I like it and have attended for many years and will keep going in Louisville and Lexington.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT