ADVERTISEMENT

Really Worried About Taking A Loss In UL Game And This Is Why.

The
First of all, U Of L is not as bad as what some people on our board might believe. They played a top 25 Texas team to the wire before Losing by just several points.
UL also took a very good Indiana team to the wire the next game before losing in the last several minutes. This is the same IU team that just lost to Kansas by five points over the weekend..
Quite simply UK will be UL’s Super Bowl game and then some. I am very concerned about coming off the big North Carolina game that we could come in overlooking what I think will be the most hungry of teams that we will have faced in quite sometimes. If UL plays their A game and we come in flat which is very possible after our big win again Carolina, then UK could very easily lose this game.

What say you fellow UK fans?
Then you must lead a life with no problems if this is what you are "worried" about. FFS.

For this season that's definitely something to pay attention to as we get to conference where we are actually playing on the road. Last year I think you are absolutely correct. Maybe Ill go over to basketball-reference and see if I can see the home/road shooting splits from last season(if its for last season sure itll be broken down for previous seasons as well over there). I don't think we've had a true road game yet. Several neutral, but none so far on the road. At least until this Thursday.

* I guess neutral sites could work, but the sample size is just so small so I mention it at first.

Yeah obviously great opponents an/or tough road environments, I'd rather have at home, if for nothing else other than the officiating MIGHT go in our favor.

But damn, I just don't think we do ourselves any favors when it comes to creating a home court advantage for ourselves.

Yeah obviously great opponents an/or tough road environments, I'd rather have at home, if for nothing else other than the officiating MIGHT go in our favor.

But damn, I just don't think we do ourselves any favors when it comes to creating a home court advantage for ourselves.

I don't see it broken down home and road over there, but Im almost certain that you are correct about us shooting better when the warmups are done in the gym we are playing in. Its definitely certain that there is always 1-2 players, sometimes some off-the-beaten-path guy, that just goes crazy against us in Rupp. All we need for that is the eye test.

Wasn’t Morg on here saying this same stuff last year? Some of you are so delusional and flat out ignorant to actually type this stuff out it’s ridiculous.
Doesn’t help when Cal himself said things like “hopefully this (KPs hiring) takes the edge off and mellows out the rivalry” —Paraphrased. But that’s the type of stuff that fuels the anxiousness and partial paranoia.

I don’t think we will lose intentionally (that’s a wild concept) but I don’t think Cal wants to embarrass and blow them out either bc it’s KP. End of the day, I think we have too much firepower to drop this game

First of all, U Of L is not as bad as what some people on our board might believe. They played a top 25 Texas team to the wire before Losing by just several points.
UL also took a very good Indiana team to the wire the next game before losing in the last several minutes. This is the same IU team that just lost to Kansas by five points over the weekend..
Quite simply UK will be UL’s Super Bowl game and then some. I am very concerned about coming off the big North Carolina game that we could come in overlooking what I think will be the most hungry of teams that we will have faced in quite sometimes. If UL plays their A game and we come in flat which is very possible after our big win again Carolina, then UK could very easily lose this game.

Clown Losing GIF by Travis

No. Louisville can’t shoot threes. It would have to be an incredibly weird game for them to beat us.

I dont see a scenario they beat us unless we just hit like one 3, and only score like 70 points.

Reactions: Aike
I don't see it broken down home and road over there, but Im almost certain that you are correct about us shooting better when the warmups are done in the gym we are playing in. Its definitely certain that there is always 1-2 players, sometimes some off-the-beaten-path guy, that just goes crazy against us in Rupp. All we need for that is the eye test.

Weird, how in a game of rhythm, getting your shots on the same hoop/backdrop matters.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to have our practices and shoot arounds in another gym, is a dolt. I really think Rupp is a disservice to our team. Great for fan turnout, but I think Kentucky basketball would fare a lot better if we played in a place like AFH or Cameron. Maybe just bigger.

Reactions: bigbluelou
What was the crowd split last time we played Louisville at the Yum? Was it nearly 50/50? 60/40 or more in our favor? Just assuming we will have more of the crowd for this game.

The thing is UL has some players. It's why their record and play are so appalling, and why Payne will be fired. But if UL's team hasn't completely quit (and their last game suggests at least maybe that hasn't happened yet), the players play inspired (and I expect this is more likely than not), and UL's staff can give them some kind of decent plan and structure, then UL could win this game if UK doesn't shoot and play decently well.

Now, I expect UK to win by 8 points or more even though I also expect UL to play one of their better, if not best, games. But to act like it is inconceivable that UL could win this game at home or that Calipari would have to do something to cause UL to win is naive for any fan who has followed college basketball.

I say if Cal loses that game, he could lose his job. He won't be throwing it intentionally for the sake of his buddy. Perhaps in a different moment he would, but I can't see it right now. Losing to UofL is not a huge crime most seasons, but not THIS season when they are barely at .500 for a record (and will have a losing record before it's all said and done). I don't doubt the game will be close for a while, but I expect the Cats to wear them down and eventually pull away by at least double digits.

I know it's been a long, long time ago, like ten days or more, but you forget Wagner was out for that game, Bradshaw was getting his very first minutes and Onyenso wasn't playing. Along with that, Kentucky had no reason to get up for UNC-W. Everybody on the team knows that the entire student body is juiced to beat Louisville.

All that said, if the point spread gets beyond 16, bet Louisville and take the points. If the Cats are in control, Cal will look to reward some guys with PT who have fallen behind Bradshaw in the rotation. And he definitely is not looking to embarrass Kenny Payne.

not to mention, Bradshaw and Wagner are back
Yeah, not having Wagner in that game really hurt UK, especially defensively. UNCW's guards kept getting to the rim and I think Wagner could have defended them well. And that being Bradshaw's first game didn't help the situation. UK just came out flat in that game. I have no doubt they'd win a rematch by double digits. It was just the perfect storm for UNCW.

If this happens can we all agree both cal and Kenny need to get the pink slip when walking off the floor I means surely no way this can happen with the greatest coach in Kentucky history oh wait unc Wilmington st Peter's Evansville uggh

Yeah, not having Wagner in that game really hurt UK, especially defensively. UNCW's guards kept getting to the rim and I think Wagner could have defended them well. And that being Bradshaw's first game didn't help the situation. UK just came out flat in that game. I have no doubt they'd win a rematch by double digits. It was just the perfect storm for UNCW.
And honestly Bradshaw wasn’t truly back

They played with way more energy than I’ve seen out of them against Pepperdine and they were having fun. Pepperdine is really bad though. I agree, the majority of the board hasn’t seen them play and think they’re just as bad as last year. They are not. Ty-Laur Johnson is a player and he will be out to prove he belongs going up against our elite guards.

I think the only thing that could get us beat is settling for bad shots the entire game though. While they may be riding a bit of a chemistry high at the right moment, they truly are very limited defensively and really won’t have much for us. I think they try to bait us into taking wide open long 2s early in the shot clock, because if they pressure and try to matchup, our guards will feast and Bradshaw will catch lob after lob over the top of Huntley-Hatfield. Louisville also isn’t nearly the good shooting team UNCW is, but they will be loose for this one. Like any team, if you give them belief early you could be in for a game, and Cal coached teams have a tendency to get down early. Jump on them and get up 10 before the first timeout, it’ll be game over and we’ll win by 40.

UK 99
UL 63

GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Reactions: Fox2monk
UK will beat UL. I do think it will be closer than 23.
Last game vs Pepperdine UL shot 56% from 3. Their average this year is 29% from 3.
The Cards may keep it close in the first half but UK should pull away.

Some of you are legit crazy. There's a huge difference between thinking critically about Cal and thinking he would purposely lose a game to get Kenny a win or just to piss of the UK fans. And what exactly do you think the team would say if he tried such a thing? Absurd theories on this board lmao.

Yeah cause all the other players don't care about winning. Some of you have your heads so far up one players ass idk how he is walking around with all of you up in there.
I was referring to Cal's admission that he told Shep to foul the ballhandler at the end of the game and Shep ignored him. So take a deep breath and smooth out the wrinkles in your panties.

• Haha
Nah man to suggest he might give his buddy Kenny Payne a win is ignorant as hell. I think Cal is so-so but I’m not that stupid.

You realize I said that in jest, right? Even saying so much as "Cal won't do this"?

I obviously don't think Cal will just give him this win, but I do believe that if UofL were to somehow win, Cal isn't going to be as upset as he should be, for the reasons I wrote. I don't believe Cal cares if he beats Louisville or not, certainly not to the degree that fans want to beat them.

Louisville is a bit better than last year which means they'll likely finish with 7 or 8 wins. They're having closer losses this season and not getting drilled by Who Is That U every game. We could've picked the score last year but settled on a 24 pt. win. I see around the same this year, maybe 91-67. Our defense still isn't great but Louisville has only scored above 70 six times. You've also gotta account for how their fans are dreading Thursday and likely won't show up. Decent chance 60%-70% of the crowd is pro-UK. How demoralizing will that be for their team and the fans that are there? It's not like 14K Louisville fans are going to magically show up to support their team.

Reactions: RunninRichie

I am not an apologist for Cal's idiosyncracies and coaching inconsistencies. But if you think UL has a realistic chance to beat UK, you are not thinking clearly. I cannot concur with any of your suppositions.

Reactions: Fox2monk
We’ve followed up a lot of big wins over the last two or three years now with ugly losses. Something else Cal has struggled with recently is handling success. That’s why i hate “swaggy cal”. Anytime he shows up anymore it’s usually just the pride before the fall.

Reactions: KFuqua
Don’t forget the “stick it to the bennies” element.

With all this said, though, there’s an easy solution: bet UL moneyline. The odds will be astronomical so you won’t have to bet much to get a great return should UL pull a shocker. And if the Cats take care of business, then it’s money well spent.

This is what I’m doing. Betting $20 UL moneyline. If the Cats handle business, I paid $20 to watch a win. If for some reason the Cards win, I’ll be pissed off with some extra money.

Reactions: Fox2monk and Wonky
If this happens can we all agree both cal and Kenny need to get the pink slip when walking off the floor I means surely no way this can happen with the greatest coach in Kentucky history oh wait unc Wilmington st Peter's Evansville uggh

No one on here thinks Calipari is the greatest coach in UK history. He's clear 3 behind Rupp and Pitino. He may drop below Hall as well if he stays long enough.

This is what I’m doing. Betting $20 UL moneyline. If the Cats handle business, I paid $20 to watch a win. If for some reason the Cards win, I’ll be pissed off with some extra money.

They call it “emotional hedging”. I do this with almost every big UK game, in both sports, and I’m a lot happier these days. I won $90 on a $5 moneyline bet on UNC Wilmington. Used it to take the family out for dinner, which helped get my mind off the atrocious loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT