ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any silver lining today?

Desperation does not make a poor offensive team shoot better. The defense is terrible and so is the rebounding with no sings of improving. We all see another disappointing post-season coming. That is why fans are upset.
And to be straigtt her I’m not giving up on the team. However I have serious concerns about the defense. Guess that makes me all doom and gloom.

The scoring was great. Still have ball in wrong people's hands at critical times. Should have gone Reeves, Dillingham, Wagner, Reed and Ugonna down the stretch.

Well the refs screwed them over more than they did us. I guess that's a positive.

We have the NBA draft on June 26. I mean, I know I’m always checking stats on our current NBA players. Just think of the possibilities after the next draft. What teams will these current UK players play for? Will they team up with other former UK players in the NBA? I’m stoked about the possibilities. Oh and another positive is Reed Shepard had a +/- of +4. But like everyone says, “Why mess with something that is working so great”?

Most impressed I have been in a loss in at least 10 years . Reminds me of some of the losses the Brandon Knight team lost on the road . Though this team is wayyy better then that team . I would be shocked if this team didn't AT LEAST make the final 4 . Just very confident in that. They made some just cold blooded plays down the stretch but then looked like freshmen do in OT. I appreciate Cal taking the blame but that wasn't on him . It was freshmen being just that.

Not to mention the refs bent us over without the curtesy of lube or a nice reach around....

I'm not quite Rick Pitino when it comes to how I feel after losing but I never see anything gained/learned after a loss. Nothing. You learn that you aren't good enough and lose and that can become a habit. So fix it. This was a game that Thiero was needed but he's apparently dead, and if he appears from the grave, and rises up, will be shocked and go to Church to praise God almighty seeing that Kentucky can actually field a complete roster without at least one player facing a calamity every season.

Defense. Missed Shots.....all that can be and are true....but the #1 thing that had me more disgusted than the actual task I had to do prior to the game after having surgery on Monday was seeing this ****ing team piss away having the ball with 28 seconds left in a tie game and somehow need a follow up on a missed shot to draw a foul to tie the game.

John Calipari is the WORST COACH in the history of the sport in end of half/game situations. And the worst part is I (along with majority of everyone else) knew they were going to initiate/start the offense far too soon (which ironically led to them getting more time after their **** up) and why? It's really this simple. You end that possession either winning or going to OT. There's no way in the world you end the game needing a basket to win/tie but why wouldn't it be that way? They piss away end of Half every game. so why not the end of game. This is a week after being up 4--seeing a guy foul a 3pt shooter in the last play of the game too-which was a new one-not the fouling a 3pt shooter-Kentucky leads the country in those fouls during the Cal era as well--but doing something dumb not based on your clock failure but rather the urge to make sure the opponent still had a chance because they executed extending the game/fouling.

At some point, things are what they are and you just expect failure and disorganization. For discussion sake, if Cal/those who defend him like going at 12 secs--for whatever reason--then please explain why? It was/is/will be stupid and continue to take place. It's awful basketball. Awful strategy and just dooms any positivity that is in the mind or fanbase when facing those situations. It lets the players down. It's happened far too many years to blame the players. So every year the players ignore the instruction? Not buying that. This isn't an easy profession for many things that have nothing to do with what takes place on the court but the EASY part is knowing basketball. Time/Score. Situational stuff. The HOF in charge is a world class jackass when it comes to the most simple approach and it costs/kills this team and then we hear the same tired remarks as to why they lost a winnable game.

So when you lose a game, most coaches/players are focused on what they can do to help prevent that from happening? Kentucky seems to take the Costner "Tin Cup" approach to clock and game management and it's just wasting time as a viewer to even watch any close game late when they have the ball. I'm going to just turn the channel or take a piss when they have ball at what should be the end of the Half and as for end of game....at this point I would be less shocked to see them lose a tie game by 20 with 5 secs left than them actually execute a last second shot which should result in win/tie/OT.

I don't feel gloom and doom after the loss, I'll say that.

Our defense has to improve. But I think we can improve. We're never going to be an elite defense. But I also don't think we have to. Our offense is good enough.

I know someone is going to rush in here to say "gotcha" and point out the champions are always in the kenpom top 30. That is the case AFTER they win 6 straight NCAA Tournament games. Multiple teams have entered the tournament outside the top 30 and gone on to win. It's the 6 straight tournament wins that drive the numbers up.

Reactions: michaeluk26
Not looking for moral victories at all but is there any reason to be hopeful for the rest of the year?

I mean if defense doesn’t get better, we won’t go anywhere. I don’t understand how a team that is so good in transition and has the speed to get by their man (DJ and Dilly especially) can’t guard a a fence post. Why do we lack such lateral quickness?

This loss changes nothing at all. I am just as hopeful as I was before tip off yesterday.

Why does the outcome of that game change your perception of the future?

This loss changes nothing at all. I am just as hopeful as I was before tip off yesterday.

Why does the outcome of that game change your perception of the future?
Defense is actually getting worse and I didn't think that was possible.

But I guess what I mean is would a win in OT changed how you feel about future? Just spit balling.

Not for me. I said before the season this team won't win anything that matters (sec regular season, sec tourney, make ncaa final four or win natty title) and through 15 games I haven't seen anything to change my mind.

That's on Cal for refusing to change up his defense when they clearly aren't improving with the defense we run now.

Reactions: tomrain
Not looking for moral victories at all but is there any reason to be hopeful for the rest of the year?

I mean if defense doesn’t get better, we won’t go anywhere. I don’t understand how a team that is so good in transition and has the speed to get by their man (DJ and Dilly especially) can’t guard a a fence post. Why do we lack such lateral quickness?
I really think our defense will improve a great deal over the next couple of months. We will improve due to the strengths that you mention above. Speed and quickness. This is great group to coach according to Cal and team defense will end up being a strength for this team. My biggest concern for this group, as we historically know is injuries. As an example, I do think Thiero in this type of game "could" have made a difference.

Desperation does not make a poor offensive team shoot better. The defense is terrible and so is the rebounding with no sings of improving. We all see another disappointing post-season coming. That is why fans are upset.
I am disappointed in the loss but, not upset. You, on the other hand, were looking forward to being upset before the game started. You say there are no signs of improving. Seriously, with all of the freshmen, you really believe that. You would make a great coach.

Not for me. I said before the season this team won't win anything that matters (sec regular season, sec tourney, make ncaa final four or win natty title) and through 15 games I haven't seen anything to change my mind.

That's on Cal for refusing to change up his defense when they clearly aren't improving with the defense we run now.

I disagree on all fronts regarding how season will end. JMHO.

Reactions: hamidousvertical
Most impressed I have been in a loss in at least 10 years . Reminds me of some of the losses the Brandon Knight team lost on the road . Though this team is wayyy better then that team . I would be shocked if this team didn't AT LEAST make the final 4 . Just very confident in that. They made some just cold blooded plays down the stretch but then looked like freshmen do in OT. I appreciate Cal taking the blame but that wasn't on him . It was freshmen being just that.

Not to mention the refs bent us over without the curtesy of lube or a nice reach around....
I think Cal should take the blame IMO- 2 guys ran a pick and roll and kept the ball all day long and didn't seem we made any adjustments to stop it

This is not a title team and it's a shame because the offense is elite.
The season will end at some point due to horrible defensive game. Might be sweet 16. Might be elite 8 or final 4. But it will end. I think the offense is good enough to go fairly deep in March. But eventually they will bow out due to the horrific defense.

Reactions: crestcat
I am disappointed in the loss but, not upset. You, on the other hand, were looking forward to being upset before the game started. You say there are no signs of improving. Seriously, with all of the freshmen, you really believe that. You would make a great coach.
LOL...looking forward to being upset? That's a new one. Look out everyone we have someone with ESP on the board. Nobody wants a championship more than I do, so I want to see improvement. You make no sense.

And no, there are not signs yet that the issues plaguing this team are improving. I think we could incorporate a zone and switch defenses in the game to throw teams off. Do something to mitigate shortcomings. What we are doing now is not working. Of course we have enough fire power to overcome issues some games, but we are going to lose games that we shouldn't until problems are fixed. We should have won this game.

It’s a long season and only irrational fans think in absolutes after one game of said long season? That’s my silver lining

Well said but we hate losing to middle of the pack schools when we have a mountain to climb already. We need a one seed plus payed refs or Cal will never win another title. Toe stomping on the road is things that kill your seed.
We have already lost the one seed,just not happening for us unless we run the table,which also isnt happening

This is not a title team and it's a shame because the offense is elite.
The season will end at some point due to horrible defensive game. Might be sweet 16. Might be elite 8 or final 4. But it will end. I think the offense is good enough to go fairly deep in March. But eventually they will bow out due to the horrific defense.
If you can make the final four, you can win it all. I agree that when/if we lose in the tournament it will be because of defense. That and a cold shooting half and/or entire game. That includes free throws.

I truly believe it all goes back to AAU for these elite players, they dont worry about defense and just try to outscore opponents, they doesn't translate well to college especially against veteran players, who as the saying goes are going pro in something else. Those guys play hard-nosed defense, add to that those two guards not missing anything and it is hard to stop a hot three point shooter when they dont have to have much of a opening. Those drive by layups are a different matter, that is where a changeup with some zone could throw them off balance and stop their momentum....but Cal is not going to use the zone because he is getting them ready for the pros. Not trying to be a Debbie downer just believe that is what it is in a nutshell.

My goodness, ease up on the drama queen stuff.

We lost a conference road game in overtime, which is not that big of a deal, and certainly no grounds for abandoning all hope. Road games are a bitch. The 2011 and 14 teams had worse losses than this one …yet still found their way to the final four.

LOL...looking forward to being upset? That's a new one. Look out everyone we have someone with ESP on the board. Nobody wants a championship more than I do, so I want to see improvement. You make no sense.

And no, there are not signs yet that the issues plaguing this team are improving. I think we could incorporate a zone and switch defenses in the game to throw teams off. Do something to mitigate shortcomings. What we are doing now is not working. Of course we have enough fire power to overcome issues some games, but we are going to lose games that we shouldn't until problems are fixed. We should have won this game.
I do not need ESP. I look at your posts and see the same thing each time. After we win, very little comes out of you. You say, no one wants a championship more than you do, well you make no sense. Your own posts do not reflect that you are the big fan you claim to be.
If you cant see team improvement and individual improvement from this group, I do not know what to say. I know this team is not a finished product right now but, I do know there will be much improvement made before the end of the season.

It's freakin middle of January. I don't know if our fans just started watching basketball or can't remember that good teams get exponentially better going into March. Defense is usually last to come around. Weird considering how everyone been crying about offense for years and now it's defense they whining about.
It's actually not weird at all, our defense sucks now and our offense is good now.

Reactions: bbncal02
I do not need ESP. I look at your posts and see the same thing each time. After we win, very little comes out of you. You say, no one wants a championship more than you do, well you make no sense. Your own posts do not reflect that you are the big fan you claim to be.
If you cant see team improvement and individual improvement from this group, I do not know what to say. I know this team is not a finished product right now but, I do know there will be much improvement made before the end of the season.
You don't know me or my connection with UK. That's all I am going to say. You know nothing.

Reed was cold-blooded on those two FTs to tie it up at the end of regulation. I loved seeing him smiling on the line too.

We have some absolute killers on this team.

That's my silver lining.
I also loved that little smile. It said "Yall think your yelling will cause me to miss? Cute."

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
Defense has been a problem all year, and yes, most teams improve throughout the season. Problem is and it's a major problem, is I haven't seen any improvement

Reactions: bbncal02
My goodness, ease up on the drama queen stuff.

We lost a conference road game in overtime, which is not that big of a deal, and certainly no grounds for abandoning all hope. Road games are a bitch. The 2011 and 14 teams had worse losses than this one …yet still found their way to the final four.
They also had defenses. We don’t seem to have one of those. I’m not giving up on the season but my expectations are considerably lowered. Maybe I’ll be wrong. I’ll be absolutely ecstatic to be. Until I see evens average defense my reservations have returned.

Reactions: dcw62
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT