ADVERTISEMENT

A Silver Lining

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
First let me repeat I was a huge Cal fan even after the bad decisions versus Wisconsin. I often would comment throughout his time with Kentucky about some of his coaching deficits especially the seemingly lack of player instruction do's and don't during a game. Nevertheless, he was fun, engaged the fans, had talented teams and although the next few years had their disappointments there was hope. But, then like others I began paying more attention to the deficits and important losses with difficulty to explain. Losing to a West Virginia team missing it's starting point guard, losing to a few others where our team lacked fundamentals. It became harder and harder to overlook those coaching flaws.

My turning point was the loss to Kansas State with their star after a few minutes unable to play. I saw this one dimensional focus on getting the ball to the post over and over and P.J. being fouled and clearly off his shot to hit free throws. There was no in-game adjustment leading to a loss that a blind man could see was poor coaching. That poor coaching became evident watching games over the next few seasons where the same pattern of no in-game adjustments and one dimensional approach along with missing fundamentals now were standard. Plus, Cal was now more antagonistic toward the fans and reflecting an ego of "I'm right and everyone else is wrong." Saint Peters was an abomination of coaching. But, Cal acted afterwards like he got the wake-up call. Most of us fans were suspect and again this season there were crazy losses like that past season but everyone could see the special talent of our team. Losing to Oakland was the last straw. I won't go into all again such as the lack of in-game instruction such as Tre and DJ you are not our 3 point shooters, or reverting back to get it in to the post and those wasted possessions. Well there's too much to document.

So, what's the "Silver LIning?" I think if we won a couple game, then we wouldn't be having the absolute outrage that is now existing. I can't see a coaching change not occurring no matter what is being said at the moment. The bottom had to happen to eliminate any more chances. I am so upset, couldn't sleep last night, but I think rock bottom has occurred and it had to for change to be forced.

Maybe the losing is makign Cal's departure imminent....but I'd argue the buyout and what figure is palatable is really what is going to determine Cal's departure.

If 9-16 then followed up by loss to St Pete didn't show you all the piss poor coaching....and it was past time to get rid of him....it was sadly the lifetime contract was looming too big.

When UK has the money to get him gone and a new coach in place....that is when this will happen. I don't see the losing showing us closer to the decision....is the $$$$

Nice write up, and I agree. This debacle has the national media starting to weigh in now. I feel like the pressure is on Mitch to do something.

I have been in the he can stay or go, either way group until last night. It's time for a change

Reactions: dl51344
It will be interesting what is going to happen. Cal is acting like he is going to stay but I think that's a strategy to get the best possible payout.

First let me repeat I was a huge Cal fan even after the bad decisions versus Wisconsin. I often would comment throughout his time with Kentucky about some of his coaching deficits especially the seemingly lack of player instruction do's and don't during a game. Nevertheless, he was fun, engaged the fans, had talented teams and although the next few years had their disappointments there was hope. But, then like others I began paying more attention to the deficits and important losses with difficulty to explain. Losing to a West Virginia team missing it's starting point guard, losing to a few others where our team lacked fundamentals. It became harder and harder to overlook those coaching flaws.

My turning point was the loss to Kansas State with their star after a few minutes unable to play. I saw this one dimensional focus on getting the ball to the post over and over and P.J. being fouled and clearly off his shot to hit free throws. There was no in-game adjustment leading to a loss that a blind man could see was poor coaching. That poor coaching became evident watching games over the next few seasons where the same pattern of no in-game adjustments and one dimensional approach along with missing fundamentals now were standard. Plus, Cal was now more antagonistic toward the fans and reflecting an ego of "I'm right and everyone else is wrong." Saint Peters was an abomination of coaching. But, Cal acted afterwards like he got the wake-up call. Most of us fans were suspect and again this season there were crazy losses like that past season but everyone could see the special talent of our team. Losing to Oakland was the last straw. I won't go into all again such as the lack of in-game instruction such as Tre and DJ you are not our 3 point shooters, or reverting back to get it in to the post and those wasted possessions. Well there's too much to document.

So, what's the "Silver LIning?" I think if we won a couple game, then we wouldn't be having the absolute outrage that is now existing. I can't see a coaching change not occurring no matter what is being said at the moment. The bottom had to happen to eliminate any more chances. I am so upset, couldn't sleep last night, but I think rock bottom has occurred and it had to for change to be forced.
I haven't seen one thing in the last five years that makes me think Mitch B. will do anything about it. Don't expect it to happen because at the end of the day Mitch is as bad if not worse than Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT