ADVERTISEMENT

Is something happening to the competitiveness of the UK basketball fan base

Pumping? Labeling stuff negative about Cal as hate speech? You got me confused with some other guy. Im more than happy to leave this whining the sky is falling temper tantrum throwing nonsensical thread though. This wont be the last time you, TNCatfangoursky Jr and Wildcats1st will be leading threads crying about a loss and the UK universe is on the verge of collapse. Less competitive fanbase lol. Continue on with your circle jerk. I almost forgot about Kyjeff. Oh, and Rupp Runt. He might be the ringleader. In case you guys run out of tissue. https://www.kleenex.com/en-us/

Thanks for the thread. Its definitely exposed you guys.
Some people struggle with the opinions of others, you appear to be one of those people.

So, we have two groups of people, 1 that stands with Calipari and the other half likes Cal, but hates the NBA first system he runs. So basically, the first group are Cal first fans, which is fine, but why does your group feel the need to aggressively attack the UK fans? I don’t see it going the other way, it’s always the Cal fans getting upset and attacking, why?

Some people struggle with the opinions of others, you appear to be one of those people.

So, we have two groups of people, 1 that stands with Calipari and the other half likes Cal, but hates the NBA first system he runs. So basically, the first group are Cal first fans, which is fine, but why does your group feel the need to aggressively attack the UK fans? I don’t see it going the other way, it’s always the Cal fans getting upset and attacking, why?

Nope. I respect other's opinions perfectly. Just not a few people on this board. Different year. Same posts. Carry on.

Nope. I respect other's opinions perfectly. Just not a few people on this board. Different year. Same posts. Carry on.
Post 240 says differently. You listed a bunch of posters, me included, and claimed we're crying. Wtf is that?
I get it, you don’t agree with our takes on the state of the program, but that somehow means we're crying?
You don’t think our concerns have a base at all?

Post 240 says differently. You listed a bunch of posters, me included, and claimed we're crying. Wtf is that?
I get it, you don’t agree with our takes on the state of the program, but that somehow means we're crying?
You don’t think our concerns have a base at all?

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/members/kyjeff1.11050/ That's your posting since Richmond. Whatever concerns you might have are drowned out by the incessant whiny nature of your posts. have a good night. Im trying to watch the game.

I do believe age and shift of priorities plays a huge role in a lot of aging fans feeling the "it's not the same anymore" vibes. That is natural though. But I don't think the 30 below crowd across sports in general are as fanatic these days.

i am in this crowd and I’m as crazy as some on the board. I know others the same as me, too. I’m not sure your premise is necessarily true.

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are who’ve been around long enough to live through different decades of UK basketball.

To me, and it’s just an anecdotal observation, it seems the fan base in 2020 is much less competitive in nature than years past. Joe Hall went to 3 final fours, won an NIT / NT, and was essentially ran out. Living through the Tubby years, it seemed there was a very large segment of fans who wanted him gone by his 6th year. Under Cal in 2020, “balls bounce weird”, “luck”, “he’s a great person”, - morality arguments.

It just seems so different than in years past. Is the fan base becoming apathetic, soft, or do you feel nothing has changed. Or is Cal just that good of a salesman? Or are some of us missing the greatness?
Honestly I think UK media is having that affect. KSR which is huge in Kentucky, 2 of the 3 are football first fans and Matt likes talking football more the last 3 years. He doesnt have people like Cam Mills or basketball guys on to talk and hype up basketball .unfortunately the media has an impact...

Then you also have the Higgins stuff, and the FBI stuff, looks like we're getting cheated 20 ways to sunday and nothing we can do about it, it seems so passion wains that way too.

Finally the last few years of losing so many 2nd round and undrafted players or transfers.... the one and done is losing its luster a bit every year.

What a weird ****ing argument to have, I don't even know how to respond, but now I'm invested.

Again, Celtic might be legit retarded. The rest of the top are throw-away. You and STL are OK I guess.. I think you'd argue that the sky is purple to your opponent and he'd eventually just walk away.

I will say this, I think Gonzo knows more about basketball than the top5 combined. So that alone probably makes me pick my group.

Edit: But Gonzo is also kind of a dick, so idk.
Please tell me you don't really think Gonzo is a great basketball mind. He compared Cam Fletcher to Deandre Hunter. Its the stupidest shit I ever read.

Reactions: morgousky
I remember watching games just knowing at any time they would blow the other team out. Go on a 30-4 run, with Cals teams, I feel like I wait till March before I even care because they are all learning the game. Definitely took the excitement away for me.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/members/kyjeff1.11050/ That's your posting since Richmond. Whatever concerns you might have are drowned out by the incessant whiny nature of your posts. have a good night. Im trying to watch the game.

Bro the thing is you’re probably the most aggressive, arrogant, intolerant, and unapproachable poster in this thread. Really, everyone else has understood the question and discussed it. You just keep going on and on saying the same shit. Now you’re linking to post histories you don’t like.

Im fine with it. You think we’re all a bunch of assholes. Is it so important we just have to keep hearing it?

The Wisconsin loss in 2015 sucked the life out of program and fan base, just an opinion

UK games just don’t bring out the enthusiasm in fans anymore

Call it Cal fatigue if you will

Hear this a lot around Lex. Very strange compared to years past that’s for sure.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
A poster in another thread just claimed a moral victory against Kansas.

That’s kind of what the OP was about.

Cal better get to changing things quickly. Just sayin, he’s about to have pressure in the next year or two if not.

As I get older, I just don’t get as upset over it like I did in my 20s.

I used to lose sleep over ballgames. Now I’m over it in an hour. It’s no longer life or death.

I still want to win it all every year, but after 12 years I’m used to being dog shit in November and December, better in January; good in February and clicking in March with a chance to win a title.

As I said in another thread, we are perpetually young specifically because of how Cal has chosen to recruit. That can no longer be an excuse, ever. It’s a choice.
I agree completely, it is a choice and a bad one at that. Imo, he doesn’t recruit basketball talent. He recruits athletes, some of whom are not good basketball players. 0 for 10 for 3’s last game and 3 for 20 tonight. That’s 10% and that’s horrible. I watched Gonzaga play. They had 3 players that scored 23 pts. or more in the game I saw. I do follow recruiting somewhat, and I never heard of any of their players being 5 star recruits. I’m now convinced that coaching and player experience is way more important than getting 5 star players who play one year and leave. I agree that players are important and getting to the nba is a life changer for players and their families. I also believe basketball coaches are hired by schools to win games and not be simply a steppingstone for players to get to the nba. Imo, that’s not why Cal is paid $8 million per year by Kentucky. I’m certainly more concerned about the name on the front of the jersey than the names on the back.

Reactions: ManitouDan
It is definitely apathy. Every year is the same old pile of stink and fans are tuning out. Our program was once larger than life. Now it has been reduced to nothing more than a sideshow between NBA drafts. I'm not going to emotionally invest myself in this crap. If the coaches don't care and the kids don't care, why the hell should I care? I didn't watch a single game all last season. And so far I haven't watched a game this season. Nor do I plan to.

I may check in after games to see how things went. I might even open the morning paper from time to time or check box scores. But I'm not interested enough in this damn circus that college basketball has become to follow it with passion like I once did. And that is especially true of UK where the circus act features a hot plate with dancing chickens. Our program has become a joke. Until the culture around UK changes and until we adopt a program first mentality again, then I'm simply not going to give a shit. The crap we've been fed in recent years is not UK basketball. It just isn't. If we're gonna suck anyway, I'd rather do it with 4 year kids with little NBA expectations who actually WANT TO BE HERE and care about something bigger than themselves.

UK under Cal pre 2016 was unprecedented and as good as it gets. UK post 2016 has been one disappointment after another.

Throw in that Cal's legacy is not about wins, losses, and championships, but about how many players he gets to the NBA, and I think it is very safe to say he has made a lot of old time fans upset. And those fans have been replaced by the everyone gets a trophy generation who thinks Cal is the only one that can coach at UK.

Trust me when I say this, a lot of folks didn't think we would be the same when Rupp, Hall and Pitino left. That was obviously incorrect, and it will also be incorrect to think that when Calipari leaves.

Women cannot compete with men athletically. Never have, never will. It is what it is. It goes both ways though. Men cannot make a sandwich as good as women. Never have, never will.
Lol, I just saw on my Alexa screen it said “Polar Bear gets Army promotion” it’s things like this that make me question turning on a TV or turning on the computer anymore to see anything noteworthy.

I think that is the main thing. People have overreacted so many times in the past and have been burned by success or somewhat success in March. We are just going to have to get used to being young and losing early. It literally happens every single year. I hate it, everyone does. But it's worth it to me to lose in November to have a shot at elite8 and beyond in March. If you are making it to that level you are always in the hunt and that's really all you can ask for.
Not to me, I watch UK basketball not just for three weekends in March, I watch it for every game of the season. Sitting around and not worrying about a team until 1-2 months before the tournament is a waste of a season. We play some of the best teams in November and December, those games mean just as much to me as every game prior to the NCAA tournament.

If Cal left tomorrow, he was successful at UK. It goes beyond that too. He was necessary.

His approval rating would be 98% in 5 years after he retired.

But in real time:

1. Fans have become less competitive, more apathetic, and developed a type of losers mentality

2. The lifetime contract over him being flirtatious with UCLA was stupid.

3. Just because Cal was the best fit in 2008, doesn’t mean he’s a better fit than others in 2020.

The dangerousness of the lifetime contract far outweighs the dangerousness and risk of Cal leaving.

He doesn’t have to win now. Cal already seemed like he might not be the type that covets the second ring, and if so, the lifetime contract was the worst thing we could have done.

I just think there’s multiple truths here. And on the topic at hand, I think Cals OAD model that he will not bend on, anytime transfer, and the lack of enthusiasm of today’s fan might be a recipe for disaster moving toward.

I think it’s worth discussing.

Oh, its absolutely worth discussing. If I was coming across as dismissive, I apologize.

1.) Apathy is pretty much common across all sports and has finally caught up to UK. When a family of four cannot financially afford to attend a game, the flat screen is the only option. With technology the way it is, it's not a bad one either. However, watching at home will never compare to a live game, I don't care what resolution you are watching. In a way, we have been sold out. You have to see the same thing with baseball.

The 90's were different. There was no YouTube, Netflix, and now Tik Tok competing for your entertainment dollar. There was no Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram clawing for your attention. For better or worse, we only have so much bandwidth.

2.) From a pure leverage standpoint, the lifetime contract was a mistake. However, I don't see the program devolving to the point where that leverage will ever be necessary.

3.) I do not see any better alternatives out there. The risk of another Tubby or Billy Clyde hire is far too great. I don't see Few leaving Gonzaga. Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan leaving the NBA does not appear to be an option. Izzo is probably too old at this point to make a move. Chris Beard seems like the only semi-realistic option and that is placing a ton of faith in a generally unproven commodity. Kenny Payne has ZERO experience.

Who would you prefer to hitch your wagon to, given the known we already have in Cal? The bird in the hand metaphor applies here.

I don't see Cal here for more than 5 years. The job is far too taxing on its own, let alone with the stress of rebuilding every single year. Hopefully there will be a better candidate available to replace him at that point.

I think the loss to Wisconsin,not only took alot out of Cal but the program itself,That was the Zenith of Cal's career up to that point and for me,He and the program have been on the decline since that.Just my opinion.

Reactions: Nbacats
Oh, its absolutely worth discussing. If I was coming across as dismissive, I apologize.

1.) Apathy is pretty much common across all sports and has finally caught up to UK. When a family of four cannot financially afford to attend a game, the flat screen is the only option. With technology the way it is, it's not a bad one either. However, watching at home will never compare to a live game, I don't care what resolution you are watching. In a way, we have been sold out. You have to see the same thing with baseball.

The 90's were different. There was no YouTube, Netflix, and now Tik Tok competing for your entertainment dollar. There was no Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram clawing for your attention. For better or worse, we only have so much bandwidth.

2.) From a pure leverage standpoint, the lifetime contract was a mistake. However, I don't see the program devolving to the point where that leverage will ever be necessary.

3.) I do not see any better alternatives out there. The risk of another Tubby or Billy Clyde hire is far too great. I don't see Few leaving Gonzaga. Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan leaving the NBA does not appear to be an option. Izzo is probably too old at this point to make a move. Chris Beard seems like the only semi-realistic option and that is placing a ton of faith in a generally unproven commodity. Kenny Payne has ZERO experience.

Who would you prefer to hitch your wagon to, given the known we already have in Cal? The bird in the hand metaphor applies here.

I don't see Cal here for more than 5 years. The job is far too taxing on its own, let alone with the stress of rebuilding every single year. Hopefully there will be a better candidate available to replace him at that point.

very solid take .

I will say when Cal leaves their will good coaches want the job.. always has been , always will be . You just have to Pick the right one .

Oh I think you’re a vast minority if you don’t think people enjoy the players and fans forming a traditional bonding over years. It could be beneficial with regard to the apathetic nature becoming mainstreamed moving forward. You routinely dismiss things too quickly.

The bond between player and fan is based on one of two things, which unfortunately are mutually exclusive:

Longevity
Extreme Talent

We have been lacking in both over the past couple of years.

Darius Miller was a Kentucky kid that was here for four years. Were you any more connected to him than you were Anthony Davis? I wasn't, but maybe that is because I live out of state.

No they haven't. I assume you're talking about 2012 and 2015, but neither was a true one and done team. 2012 had Lamb, Jones and Miller as major contributors and Duke 2015 most certainly was not a one & done team.

Yes, UK and Duke have sent some veteran teams home, but that was when Cal was getting top 5 players.
Since the 2015 NCAAT, UK has beaten 1 power 5 team in the tournament, that was UCLA in 2017, we've lost to every other P5 team we have faced.
If you’re going to roll the dice with freshmen, you better get the best freshmen or you're just passing into the wind.

This is pretty accurate.

Also, the best freshmen are now going to the G League. Because this is a recent phenomenon, I would expect a pivot, much like Cal has changed his attitude towards transfers.

If he doesn't change, we have a problem.

I will be honest here, and I know a lot of fans will probably rip me. I do love the CATS, but I've been falling off the past few years. I used to listen to every game (WLAP) and get personally invested. I was so upset at the losses, and I defended the team at every turn. I loved coming out her to Rafters and checking out the drama LOL. This board is just AWESOME.

This year, I don't even know whose on the roster. Boston, that's the only guy I know. I forgot they were even playing Kansas last night :( Is't a sad state of affairs.

I guess I'm realizing as a 50 year old man, I'm spending WAY too much time worrying about what a bunch of 18 year old kids are doing. I started finding other things to do that were more productive, and my life got more productive.

Then, throw in COVID plus all the, um, political stuff. It's like, they make you feel bad about the past (you can't control), and they make you feel bad about the present. So, when you think of college basketball, you just feel bad and don't want to watch it. It is what it is.

So, I wish the kids and Coach Cal the best in the world. I'll try to catch a game when I can, but I doubt I'll invest myself in it.

That's just my honest feelings. Rip away.

Good luck, CATS!

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are who’ve been around long enough to live through different decades of UK basketball.

To me, and it’s just an anecdotal observation, it seems the fan base in 2020 is much less competitive in nature than years past. Joe Hall went to 3 final fours, won an NIT / NT, and was essentially ran out. Living through the Tubby years, it seemed there was a very large segment of fans who wanted him gone by his 6th year. Under Cal in 2020, “balls bounce weird”, “luck”, “he’s a great person”, - morality arguments.

It just seems so different than in years past. Is the fan base becoming apathetic, soft, or do you feel nothing has changed. Or is Cal just that good of a salesman? Or are some of us missing the greatness?

we must ask ourselves if the program can go Backward as we have seen with UCLA and IU

Actually, UK is a farm team for the NBA. It’s what motivates Cal, it's what gets his motor running and it's what he bases this program on. The fact that he brings in NBA scouts to come in and take a look at the new stable of Mustangs he has to auction off at the end of the season tells me where his priorities are.
This post says it all. It is exactly where we are as a program. A farm team for the NBA. If you are like me and don't care one iota for the NBA then your interest drifts away.

Yesterday I did not know we were playing Kansas until I saw it on RR. I don't even have a UK schedule and years ago I would walk a mile to find one. My interest in the program is cold and getting colder.

It really doesn't matter any more.

we must ask ourselves if the program can go Backward as we have seen with UCLA and IU

Those are two very cautionary tales. We were headed in that direction before Cal was hired.

A basketball program levels to the expectations of its fans and almuni. I can't ever see this fan base allowing the results on the court to sink to the IU or UCLA level.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I think the fan base has lost some passion. It’s not the same it was 10 years ago. The 2015 FF loss was a kick in the nuts, but the 2017 E8 loss made me reconsider why I was investing so much time and energy in college b-ball. It seems like a lot of other people’s interest dropped off around that time too.

College b-ball is also just not all that fun of a product to watch anymore. I see it posted here all the time, and I was the same-
I use to watch every big game, now I only will watch UK games. Unless you have some connection to a Blue Blood program, college b-ball is basically a three week season in March.

Reactions: meow_cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT