ADVERTISEMENT

Is something happening to the competitiveness of the UK basketball fan base

I rarely watch a college game unless it's a top 25 matchup or it's a particularly entertaining team. Otherwise I'll just wait and see if the game appears entertaining because so often you'll see a game played in the 50s and low 60s and it's just an abomination
Then this thread really isn't for you tbh. You’re a casual fan, probably just stumbled onto this board when you were searching for basketballs to purchase through Amazon.
I mean, if you don’t care, then you have no say here.
Bye.

More disguised whining over a loss. Congratulations on post number 4268 on this board like this since the loss. No the fanbase isn't less competitive. It's more whiny though for sure.

Reactions: gharding07
Then this thread really isn't for you tbh. You’re a casual fan, probably just stumbled onto this board when you were searching for basketballs to purchase through Amazon.
I mean, if you don’t care, then you have no say here.
Bye.

I’d actually say he’s a great representative of what the thread is about. Why does he care so little compared to fans of other generations?

More disguised whining over a loss. Congratulations on post number 4268 on this board like this since the loss. No the fanbase isn't less competitive. It's more whiny though for sure.

More whiny? So you weren’t a fan through Hall and Tubby years I take it?

It’s not disguised. It’s worded exactly how it was intended. You’re disguising something though, your Cal pumping in a thread it’s not intended to be in. There’s about 4 or 5 of you that do nothing but attempt to brand anything not roses as Cal hate speech. Try having the conversation.

I guess I just don't let it bother me as much. We've agreed that we have very different viewpoints on things like Luck and what's important, such as I don't care if we lose in November, or if a player is here for 4 years so we can build some sort of "relationship" with him. I also think there have been some external forces working against Calipari, I still think he's doing this fight with one hand behind his back.

I just don't see the need to get pissed at this moment. Now, we do this for another 2, 3 or 4 years... and Cal doesn't make adjustments? you'll see a different view point from me. Ultimately, I'm not sure Cal is going to be the man for this job in a few years, anyways.. when the G-league takes more guys and paying players continues to grow. I actually think we need to, eventually, get a guy who can develop better and retain talent for a few years.. because the 1AD model is about to go extinct (or at least change drastically).

But IMO we are pulling the ripcord far too quick.
Basically, what you’re saying is, you are going to wait another few years before you start to sour on Cal.

That’s the difference between me and you, in my life (professional and personal), I can't wait to decide whether something is right or wrong, I always have to do something about it right now.

From what I've seen, the things that Cal needs to change to work for UK and winning titles, are things he's not willing to change, so there is no reason for me to wait 3 more years to see us lose to another 3 Popcorn State's in Rupp and fall short of 3 more final fours due to unbalanced rosters, transfers and youth.

Reactions: morgousky
I'm amazed you think we didn't play a season last year and that 2015 was 4 years ago
I am sorry if you do not have fingers but , if you do , use them. Are you counting last year as a year
Oh I think you’re a vast minority if you don’t think people enjoy the players and fans forming a traditional bonding over years. It could be beneficial with regard to the apathetic nature becoming mainstreamed moving forward. You routinely dismiss things too quickly.
I wish I was as smart as you think you are. You just make up translations about what people say in a post, just to fit a narrative that you and a handful of other whiners push. I will wager a bet that after a loss and until our next win, your post count goes up dramatically. This thread is a long one and close to half of the comments are yours. Change your name to Zipp.

More whiny? So you weren’t a fan through Hall and Tubby years I take it?

It’s not disguised. It’s worded exactly how it was intended. You’re disguising something though, your Cal pumping in a thread it’s not intended to be in. There’s about 4 or 5 of you that do nothing but attempt to brand anything not roses as Cal hate speech. Try having the conversation.

It's whiny. Your motive is clear. Just make sure you have a good supply of Kleenex handy.

It's whiny. Your motive is clear. Just make sure you have a good supply of Kleenex handy.

Ok man, whatever. Pump away. We know.

But if you don’t mind, we get it. You’ve branded us correctly. The thread has been kind of decent with some good points. If you wouldn’t mind leave it be.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
But no, I don't think keeping a guy like Mac Mclung for 3 years, just to have virtually the same chance at a Final4 as we did under Cal and new players, is going to fix the problems with this sport, with Kentucky, and with this fanbase.

Good night and GO JETS!

Maybe that's why I'm not mad. I'm a Jets fan, some of you don't know pain, and it shows.
Wait, you’re a Jets fan? Well jeez, that explains everything. They haven't won anything in 60 years, no wonder why you are so patient.

I am sorry if you do not have fingers but , if you do , use them. Are you counting last year as a year

I wish I was as smart as you think you are. You just make up translations about what people say in a post, just to fit a narrative that you and a handful of other whiners push. I will wager a bet that after a loss and until our next win, your post count goes up dramatically. This thread is a long one and close to half of the comments are yours. Change your name to Zipp.

Im not sure. I post a lot less nowadays anyway. I probably do post more after losses. When we’re doing great ( which is rather rare) for most of the year there’s only so much you can say. On those teams I mostly discuss what the accomplishments could mean for Calipari’s legacy moving forward.

But the thread isn’t about any of that. If you don’t think fans are more apathetic, and don’t feel Cals methods are contributing to it, or don’t have an opinion at all other than anyone who’s not ecstatic with our position is a bad fan, do you mind ending this here?

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are who’ve been around long enough to live through different decades of UK basketball.

To me, and it’s just an anecdotal observation, it seems the fan base in 2020 is much less competitive in nature than years past. Joe Hall went to 3 final fours, won an NIT / NT, and was essentially ran out. Living through the Tubby years, it seemed there was a very large segment of fans who wanted him gone by his 6th year. Under Cal in 2020, “balls bounce weird”, “luck”, “he’s a great person”, - morality arguments.

It just seems so different than in years past. Is the fan base becoming apathetic, soft, or do you feel nothing has changed. Or is Cal just that good of a salesman? Or are some of us missing the greatness?
Many would rather have the next lebron James and lose than win

Thumb - 2016 - No Final Four, not even a sweet sixteen
Index - 2017 - No Final four, but people here act like it was
Middle - 2018 - No Final Four despite unprecedented upsets
Ring - 2019 - No final four but boy those Duke/Auburn book ends sure were fun
Pinky - 2020 - No final four for anybody, but people here act like it was

Yep, looks like I can count, and that it's been 5 years since the last one still!

Some people have no concept of “heart” in sports. I question how many actually played and if so, actually impacted the games they played.

Knight was what we call a HEAD HUNTER in football coaching. He willed himself to win. There was no luck with Brandon Knight.

I think it’s just ridiculous they way some people go on about this.
They’re trying to justify the decline and use luck as a reason. It’s not luck. Cal is just flying by the seat of his pants with these freshmen, when you do that, you get what you give, it's that simple.

Yep, looks like I can count, and that it's been 5 years since the last one still!

I understood you just fine. It doesn’t matter why, we haven’t been to a final four in that length of time. And regardless, we weren’t going to a final four last year. You gotta be outside ur damn mind to buy that we had a good shot. We didn’t.

Reactions: STL_Cat

Good for you. I would not have counted a year in which we did not get an opportunity to compete but, I get it.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
We want (pretty much demand) the best players in the world out of high school. Almost every year we get them and when they don't play well early people are starting to realize they are just kids and it takes time. This is the trade off to having 4/5 year players. This team will be fine, we may even lose tonight. No panic I trust Cal, he will get this team in position like he always does.
Say what? Best players? No sir.

Honestly there’s a clear differencein UK fans today vs. 10 years ago. 20 years ago it’s night and day. Anyone who’s followed UK basketball for 25+ years knows this.

And I’m actually fantastic in bed. I don’t really have limits.
I think there’s a huge difference in college basketball fans in general over 20 years. It’s all about the pros now. The glitz & glamour of the big league is what appeals to the kids now and whatever college they go to is just a stop along the way. Fans see that it’s of secondary importance to the kids and I think it’s caused people’s interest to wane in college basketball.

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are who’ve been around long enough to live through different decades of UK basketball.

To me, and it’s just an anecdotal observation, it seems the fan base in 2020 is much less competitive in nature than years past. Joe Hall went to 3 final fours, won an NIT / NT, and was essentially ran out. Living through the Tubby years, it seemed there was a very large segment of fans who wanted him gone by his 6th year. Under Cal in 2020, “balls bounce weird”, “luck”, “he’s a great person”, - morality arguments.

It just seems so different than in years past. Is the fan base becoming apathetic, soft, or do you feel nothing has changed. Or is Cal just that good of a salesman? Or are some of us missing the greatness?

Your post assumes that the intensity of the fan leads to results on court. It is possible that fans care the same amount while the kids care less than they used to right? We're all just spectators, the kids are the ones playing the game. Saying the fanbase is less competitive is irrelevant, especially this year where there are cardboard pictures watching the games.

Bullshit we don’t affect the outcomes of the games. Otherwise why do I keep sitting the same way in my recliner when things are going well even if my legs are falling asleep and I refuse to move? You think I’d do that if it didn’t help. What do you think I am, crazy??

Reactions: chroix and jrpross
We've played five full seasons since that Wisconsin loss. So no, it's not literally just been four seasons. It's been just four seasons since our mythical what if final four for 2017.
Let’s be really honest since 2015 the air has gone out of the program. The Wisconsin loss was devastating especially not having Booker and Ullis in the game and getting back to back shot clock violations and KAT not touching the basketball the last 4 possessions. We had a shot at 40-0 and something incredibly special. It was the most talented team in UK history. Cal blew another title in 2010 because Huggins out coached him. 2012 was because of one freak athlete AD who came out of nowhere from his junior to senior year. Take 2012 out of the equation and Cal has been a bust for what he is paid.

Reactions: bigbluedon
It like the Roman Empire, No one was able to destroy it from the outside, It was destroyed from the inside. It not really the wins and losses. you just cant connect with the players anymore. Cal was the worst thing that ever happened to UK basketball.
I just spit out my drink...

Reactions: jrpross
There was also a time when the players were in vested in UK and the fans. Thats history to. These guys couldnt care less about UK. UK is just a tool to them. Before Cal the players and fans were like family. I miss that

There was also a time when the players were in vested in UK and the fans. Thats history to. These guys couldnt care less about UK. UK is just a tool to them. Before Cal the players and fans were like family. I miss that
Former players are always raving about their time at UK, and how they are all a big family. You couldn't be more wrong.

Reactions: sk73
Some people have no concept of “heart” in sports. I question how many actually played and if so, actually impacted the games they played.

Knight was what we call a HEAD HUNTER in football coaching. He willed himself to win. There was no luck with Brandon Knight.

I think it’s just ridiculous they way some people go on about this.

ahhh yes the heart argument.

Clearly Knight and Harrison just "wanted it more" than 17 and 19 did.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
It all comes down to one word : ACCEPTANCE.

UK Fans have a loyalty to our coach and some to the point of accepting ugly losses early for the promise of big things in March. However, over the past 5 seasons, the chance of winning a championship has not been able to ease the sting of these early season losses to inferior teams.

During Cal's first 5 seasons, sloppy play in Nov./Dec were over shadowed by the #1 rankings and Final 4's. The last 5 years have seen a dip in top 5 recruits and hence a dip in the results come March.

I love what Cal has done here overall, but I agree with @morgousky that Cal's approach has made our fans ACCEPT:

His condescending attitude toward the fans
His reliance on youth yet using it as an excuse for losing
His super secretive approach about injuries
His emphasis on improving UK players' NBA draft position over the UK Basketball program
His reasoning for early season losses to teams that should NEVER win in Rupp Arena
His salary of $10 million yet 3 other programs have more Championships(Duke,Nova UConn) during his UK tenure

LACK OF ACCEPTANCE at one time was the very definition of the UK Fan base. Cal has definitely changed that for more fans than Joe B, Eddie, Tubby or Billy G could have COMBINED!!

Former players are always raving about their time at UK, and how they are all a big family. You couldn't be more wrong.
I dont see it. not the way it was in the 60, 70, 80, and 90's. To those guys it was FAMILY. These new guys might give it lip service but they were not here long enough to develop a family. Your just wrong.

Let’s be really honest since 2015 the air has gone out of the program. The Wisconsin loss was devastating especially not having Booker and Ullis in the game and getting back to back shot clock violations and KAT not touching the basketball the last 4 possessions. We had a shot at 40-0 and something incredibly special. It was the most talented team in UK history. Cal blew another title in 2010 because Huggins out coached him. 2012 was because of one freak athlete AD who came out of nowhere from his junior to senior year. Take 2012 out of the equation and Cal has been a bust for what he is paid.

you can’t take 2012 out of the equation in the same way you can’t hang banners for 2017 or 2020. I agree with you though that things have declined markedly since Wisconsin. There have been many threads on here where people have talked about how it profoundly affected their fan-hood. that game and Coach Cal’s Team USA disaster hurt recruiting tremendously.

Now the days of getting elite players is over because elite players won’t be attending college. Cal needs to adapt his coaching style to this reality. The path to success is going to be through development and an offense tailored for the outside game.

Nothing is different. We know the team is super young and we will lose games we shouldn’t. We have had bad luck, mainly due to a Ref who is biased as all hell. Now we should have beat Auburn and we should have beaten K state. No excuse for those loses. If we go undefeated in 2015 we aren’t even talking about this anyway. That is the one loss that has killed Cal. Even if he won in 2014 he wouldn’t be getting heat.

The word "IF" has crept into the UK Basketball fan vocabulary a lot during Cal's last 5 years. As a UK Football fan, I'm used to using that word, A LOT. But I can remember a time when it was RARELY used for UK Basketball.

Another thing that has changed under Cal.

Their March ceiling really isn't higher. Look at the teams winning titles, they are all junior and senior laden teams that know how to finish games and dont tighten up under the bright lights.
Don't forget though, Cal's freshmen-laden teams have also sent home a lot of veteran teams in March. Not sure it's fair to make the assumption you're making. However, if you do want to judge one-and-done success on championships, there are only two one-and-done schools and they have won 2 of the last 8 titles.

Don't forget though, Cal's freshmen-laden teams have also sent home a lot of veteran teams in March. Not sure it's fair to make the assumption you're making. However, if you do want to judge one-and-done success on championships, there are only two one-and-done schools and they have won 2 of the last 8 titles.
No they haven't. I assume you're talking about 2012 and 2015, but neither was a true one and done team. 2012 had Lamb, Jones and Miller as major contributors and Duke 2015 most certainly was not a one & done team.

Yes, UK and Duke have sent some veteran teams home, but that was when Cal was getting top 5 players.
Since the 2015 NCAAT, UK has beaten 1 power 5 team in the tournament, that was UCLA in 2017, we've lost to every other P5 team we have faced.
If you’re going to roll the dice with freshmen, you better get the best freshmen or you're just passing into the wind.

Reactions: BourbonBalz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT