ADVERTISEMENT

In the last two weeks I have read Rex Chapman and Jack Givens new books...

Uncle Adolph

Junior
Aug 9, 2019
The difference between the two is startling. The outlook they have on life and the world we live in.
How they describe the time they spent here as players. How they have handled the ups and downs life has thrown at them.
One is a very sad story to me and the other is one of optimism and over all upbeat.
I like to read so I am glad I read both.

Got Rex’s book as a birthday present. Asked my wife to return it. Don’t like his unsubstantiated allegations and certainly not his portrayal of Eddie Sutton who is not here to defend himself. However, his family has to hear that crap about a HOF guy.
Rex was the #5 pick in the draft. UK seemingly did pretty well by him. Everybody faces some some challenges in life.

My take exactly after reading both books.
Jack Givens is 100% class, a person that all UK fans loves and respects. Rex Chapman is nothing but an old burned out drug addict that's mad at the world because he didn't have enough brains to take advantage of all the blessings that God gave him.
My take exactly after reading both books

Thanks for the review. I had plans to buy one but probably skip the other. I'll stick to my original plans.

Got Rex’s book as a birthday present. Asked my wife to return it. Don’t like his unsubstantiated allegations and certainly not his portrayal of Eddie Sutton who is not here to defend himself. However, his family has to hear that crap about a HOF guy.
Rex was the #5 pick in the draft. UK seemingly did pretty well by him. Everybody faces some some challenges in life.
Rex had everything handed to him, now he wants everyone to feel sorry for him. The guy is a douche.

Criticizing someone for their life's struggles without experiencing the pressures of everyone's expectations shows the shallowness and the lack of humanity in someone's heart

Pretty sad...

Reactions: BBBLazing
Criticizing someone for their life's struggles without experiencing the pressures of everyone's expectations shows the shallowness and the lack of humanity in someone's heart

Pretty sad...
Why not take responsibility for those struggles and quit trashing an institution? Millions of people would die for those opportunities.

Hard for me to find sympathy for a guy who had it all and blew it, then wants to play the victim.

Reactions: KFuqua
Givens book is everything all of you are saying.

I am about 3/4 the way through Rex's book. I received it from a family member. We used to live in Owensboro, in fact lived there when Rex was at Apollo and I went to multiple games of his at the Sportscenter his senior year. I think his story is tragic. 95% of what he says about his time growing up and in Owensboro was known around town. I was surprised about him being so blunt about his relationship with his Dad. I think he could have told his story without being so specific about his family.

I doubt Eddie's family will read or hear about anything they don't already know. Families hide their secrets and scandals but that doesn't mean they don't know they exist.

Glad Rex overcame his issues and demons. However, he is also a gigantic douche who treats people like garbage any chance he gets.

Goose has never been anything but humble and appreciative of UK fans.

The two could not be any more different.

Glad Rex overcame his issues and demons. However, he is also a gigantic douche who treats people like garbage any chance he gets.

Goose has never been anything but humble and appreciative of UK fans.

The two could not be any more different.
Have had the pleasure of meeting Goose multiple times at women's bb games and tailgating at fb games . Nothing but class and a true GENTLEMAN PLUS he loves UK and BBN, something the blowhard narcissist knows nothing about!

Reactions: ck-2
Chapman's book is a cautionary tale presented in the voice of an overgrown adolescent.

It should come as no surprise that its low quality has the stench of the odious Seth Davis on it as well.

Reactions: crestcat and dcw62
I'm telling you, the timing is everything. Reed is the most popular white player at UK since Chapman and it is eating him up.

When you listen to those highlight tapes that show every UK basket, you can hear an extra bit of joy in Givens' voice when Justin Edwards scores. Goose is cheering for him.

Kind of telling.

I'm telling you, the timing is everything. Reed is the most popular white player at UK since Chapman and it is eating him up.

When you listen to those highlight tapes that show every UK basket, you can hear an extra bit of joy in Givens' voice when Justin Edwards scores. Goose is cheering for him.

Kind of telling.
It is clear in reading the book that he wanted to be a basketball player not a white basketball player. I doubt he is concerned in the least about Reed or any really good white player that has played there since he played.

Reactions: ukfan1622
It is clear in reading the book that he wanted to be a basketball player not a white basketball player. I doubt he is concerned in the least about Reed or any really good white player that has played there since he played.
You know what was telling? When Kyle Tucker tweeted that because of his unique status it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that Reed might come back. Rex responded to that tweet wondering why Tucker didn't include Rob in that scenario.

Reactions: ck-2
You know what was telling? When Kyle Tucker tweeted that because of his unique status it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that Reed might come back. Rex responded to that tweet wondering why Tucker didn't include Rob in that scenario.
Easy rebuttal.
Robs parents didn't play for UK.
Rob is from NC not KY.
Rob didn't decide he wanted to play for UK until his SR year of HS.
Reed knew where he wanted to play his whole life.

Reactions: Wonky
This is a great post. There are plenty enough bad things about Rex that are true if somebody wants to bad mouth him but the idea of him caring about the color of other players is a huge reach not supported by any facts.

Both have baggage.
I would guess every human on earth has baggage. One thing I try not to do is judge, and just like all, I fail as well. But I know Jack and have spoke with Rex many times in the past (way past on Rex). Rex has his path to deal with as does Jack and the rest of us. We do not always walk the easy path or the lighted path. I would say let each deal with their own issues. Support or not just let them walk it. I know I am dealing every day with letting go of the past and not looking back. We all carry too much baggage. Best thing to do is put it in a Salvation Army bin and look to the present. Wow too much I know. Just like both. I never had a cross thing to say about them and both treated me as an equal and with respect.

Kind of telling.
I think this is so true. I would take the four of them in their prime and beat most NBA teams now. I will always love Goose and Reed. Not sure about the other two. They have an agenda that they need to settle within themselves before I will say different.

This is a great post. There are plenty enough bad things about Rex that are true if somebody wants to bad mouth him but the idea of him caring about the color of other players is a huge reach not supported by any facts.
Then why does he keep bringing it up?

Reactions: crestcat
Then why does he keep bringing it up?
You watch things… you have been around a while. First Cal gave him a voice after his time to get broke down then built up in the middle of KY (look it up) after his year. Others that might be named Jones or not had to grab something that had tradition with it. Now, he has a little voice, that some hear, that brings him notoriety and money. Not me. He has washed it away… not because of what he did… because of what he is doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT