ADVERTISEMENT

I'm Not Sure That The SEC Tournament Will Help Our Seeding Much

KyCatFan

All-American
May 7, 2002
You can be sure though that losing early will hurt us though. Looking at the net rankings/quad numbers, it doesn't look like we will gain much by winning a couple of games.

Neither of our potential opponents in the first game would be quad 1 wins. I believe Alabama is at 53 and Tennessee at 63.

The second game will probably be either Florida or MSU. Florida could help being at 28, but playing and winning 2 games in 2 days could be tough for them. While MSU at 50 would barely be a quad 1 win, beating them would probably knock them out of it.

The only game that may end up helping us would be the title game, but unfortunately they won't even incorporate it into the seedings. I'm just not sure we will gain much, but we likely will see other conferences be rewarded more for their tournament wins. We need to at least get to and hope we play and beat Florida again if we want to possibly improve our seeding.

(All of this is if the quad 1 wins are as big of a factor as we are led to believe.)

Reactions: chroix and katwest
Meaningless tourney for seeding unless an early loss in a blow-out. Otherwise, it is just for sake of claiming the championship of our Conference Tourney. I do want that to occur because only one team will win it all and we can at the worst proudly say we were conference champions this year and Conference tourney champions as well. Plus, more practice. However, losing hasn't exactly meant that much in the big dance if it is the last game.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Kentucky could get three quad 1 wins if things go chalk. Likely, Sunday won't matter, so being able to get two of them should seal a 3-seed with a chance at a 2-seed depending what everyone else does.

Last year's loss to UT killed our chance of a 1 seed, then UT's loss to AU killed their chance, too. Yet AU was the one that ended up in the Final Four.
Agree that wins probably won't help our seeding, but losses would hurt. I do think that wins should still matter in some way (moving up if someone else falls, a la what didn't happen in 2016 with A&M...we could have easily switched places). I guess there's no perfect way to do seeding....Let's hope for a fair seed this year! Go 'Cats!

Kentucky could get three quad 1 wins if things go chalk. Likely, Sunday won't matter, so being able to get two of them should seal a 3-seed with a chance at a 2-seed depending what everyone else does.
If things go chalk, we play UT, Miss State and Auburn. Quad 1 wins are 1-50 at neutral sites. Tennessee is currently 63, Mississippi State is currently 50 and Auburn is currently 27. No way UT will be a Quad 1 win. Mississippi State will potentially drop if they lose to us, so Auburn is our only guarantee right now for a Quad 1 win.

depends on what you think our seed is now.
  • if its a 3 or 4, yes it can improve with 2/3 quad 1 wins possible.
  • if its a 2 seed it can only drop as its our ceiling
  • if its NIT like some uk fans, then sure

It should've helped a couple of times in the past, but it didn't. Because as someone already said, the tournament didn't end until late Sunday afternoon. SEC needs to move the tournament up one day, so it ends on Saturday. No excuses then from the NCAAT selection committee......but I'm sure they'll find another one.

Never does. The 15-16 year we won the SEC tournament and defeated A&M giving UK the head to head tie breaker but they were still seeded ahead of us. It's already set in stone by this weekend unless something drastically unexpected happens.

Never does. The 15-16 year we won the SEC tournament and defeated A&M giving UK the head to head tie breaker but they were still seeded ahead of us. It's already set in stone by this weekend unless something drastically unexpected happens.

I still remember that slight. Calipari went on TV and was like "With all due respect to Texas A&M, didn't we PLAY A GAME TODAY?!?!"

You can be sure though that losing early will hurt us though. Looking at the net rankings/quad numbers, it doesn't look like we will gain much by winning a couple of games.

Neither of our potential opponents in the first game would be quad 1 wins. I believe Alabama is at 53 and Tennessee at 63.

The second game will probably be either Florida or MSU. Florida could help being at 28, but playing and winning 2 games in 2 days could be tough for them. While MSU at 50 would barely be a quad 1 win, beating them would probably knock them out of it.

The only game that may end up helping us would be the title game, but unfortunately they won't even incorporate it into the seedings. I'm just not sure we will gain much, but we likely will see other conferences be rewarded more for their tournament wins. We need to at least get to and hope we play and beat Florida again if we want to possibly improve our seeding.

(All of this is if the quad 1 wins are as big of a factor as we are led to believe.)
Agree. Never does.

Honestly it isn't going to help or hurt. We are somewhere between the 6th-10th overall seed win or lose. And lets be honest it is much better being the 1st 3 seed instead of the last 2 . But I cant root for us to lose so lets win it and get the worst 2 seed and play out west .if we could just get the 3rd 2 seed we could avoid that but we will need some help.

Honestly it isn't going to help or hurt. We are somewhere between the 6th-10th overall seed win or lose. And lets be honest it is much better being the 1st 3 seed instead of the last 2 . But I cant root for us to lose so lets win it and get the worst 2 seed and play out west .if we could just get the 3rd 2 seed we could avoid that but we will need some help.
I have no idea how this will all play out. I'm just pulling like crazy for the Cats to land in Greensboro. Never seen them play in the postseason.

Absolutely won’t help but could hurt if UK loses first game. Committee will already predetermine all but the final 4-5 teams. They will have teams pretty well slotted by the weekend. Only thing that could happen is a big run by an ACC or Big 10 team that knocks off one of the media darlings. So UK would drop so the favorite could still get their seeding.

Somewhat unlikely but Sunday’s game could affect the bracket.

Since B1G plays Sunday as well you could have 2 brackets ready with SEC and B1G winners/losers swapping 2/3 seeds depending on outcomes.

We have to get to Sunday, and FSU lose before Saturday.

That should get us a 2.

When it's UK, every game matters, especially if it's a loss. My ultimate opinion is UK has to win the SEC tournament to get a 2. Lose Sunday and they're a 3. Lose before that and probably a 4.

Still think we can't lose until the final if we want to secure proper seeding.. and a loss in the opening game could absolutely knock us down to a 4-seed.

Just want to get to the SECT Final.. If we win, cool. If not, it won't hurt us.

Need to win it to secure a 2 seed. If we lose in the final I see a 3 seed. Lose before that and the committee will do whatever they want to us.

The committee has stated in the past that the sec final doesn’t matter because they’ve already made their selections by the sec final on sunday.
Does anyone really believe that the selection committee doesn’t consider other conference championship games that are played on saturday?

Proof was a few years back when UK tied Texas A&M, beat them in the SEC Tournament Final and UK still was a seed line lower. That was the year UK lost to Indiana in the 2nd round, I believe.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Winning the SEC-T didn’t help in 2011, 2016, 2017 or 2018.

Losing in the semis hurt us last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT