ADVERTISEMENT

Win a tough road game over a Quad 1 opponent, lose a Quad 1 win?

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
I can’t find an updated Quad ranking system, but Mississippi State was on the cusp of Quad 1 at 28. It is possible that with the loss at home, and if teams just below them win today that they fall out of Quad 1 -costing the Cats the Quad 1 win over them at Rupp?

This may not happen, but it is a scenario that could happen, which only points out how foolish it is to weight so much by this system—a team could win a tough road game over a strong opponent and cost themselves in seeding?

Last edited:
I can’t find an updated Quad ranking system, but Mississippi State was on the cusp of Quad 1 at 28. It is possible that with the loss at home, and if teams just below them win today that they fall out of Quad 1 -costing the Cats both Quad 1 wins over them?

This may not happen, but it is a scenario that could happen, which only points out how foolish it is to weight so much by this system—a team could win a tough road game over a strong opponent and cost themselves a seed line in the tournament brackets.

Could there be a better example of an idiotic system?
On the Road, games vs Teams 1-75 are Quad 1.

So last night stands regardless. The game in Rupp could become quad 2. But there’s a decent chance thet stay quad 1. Losing to a top 20 Kentucky team this late in the season shouldn’t drop MSU a ton.

Last edited:
There are only FIVE teams with more QUAD 1 wins than Kentucky.

Those teams are ranked 1, 2, 3, 4 and 9 in the NET.

FAILURE in overall scheduling by UK.

13 games against Q3+Q4 opponents.

Reactions: EliteBlue
The top 10 NET teams are 170-6 at home
Kentucky has FOUR home losses

That's the big difference. ONE win against Tennessee, Gonzaga or Florida and Kentucky is on the 2-seed line right now.

Texas A&M has SIX QUAD 1 wins
Texas A&M has FOUR QUAD 3 losses

Weird team

Need a and m to beat sc in the worst way tonight.

Idk who we want to win in auburn vs UT. I don't see auburn losing another game after UT so I guess UT makes more sense to win tonight.

I still have a bad feeling the UT game is gonna be the difference between a win and tie for first and a loss potentially dropping UK all the way down to the 5 seed and no double bye.

Yes

Need A&M to beat South Carolina
Need Tennessee to beat Auburn
Need Ole Miss to beat Alabama
Need Alabama to beat Tennessee
Need South Carolina to beat Florida
Need Florida to beat Alabama
Need South Carolina to beat Tennessee
Need Mississippi State to beat South Carolina

Finally, UK beats Tennessee to clinch the #1 seed in the SEC Tournament. As they would win the tiebreaker over Alabama and Auburn, all with FIVE conference losses.

Reactions: UK CAT in FL
I can’t find an updated Quad ranking system, but Mississippi State was on the cusp of Quad 1 at 28. It is possible that with the loss at home, and if teams just below them win today that they fall out of Quad 1 -costing the Cats the Quad 1 win over them at Rupp?

This may not happen, but it is a scenario that could happen, which only points out how foolish it is to weight so much by this system—a team could win a tough road game over a strong opponent and cost themselves in seeding?
It is definitely flawed. When you take continuous data and convert it to categories you lose information. For example is there really a significant difference between the #30 and #31 teams? Of course not! But the quad system artificially creates a difference there. There is a much bigger difference between 1 and 30. Or in the case of road games between 1 and 75. That is how Duke has so many Quad 1 wins, beating teams in the 40-75 range in the weak ACC whereas UK has twice as many conference games vs top 10.

Net was updated
Gained a quad win and loss.
Florida up to 28. Mississippi State down to 30.
We're 6-6. Pretty sure we were 5-5 Sunday.
I don't think we lost one.

Home games: Teams 1-30 are Quad 1. If we had 5 wins before, gained 1 and lost 1--we should still be at 5.

We may lose one as other teams play/win games.

Yes

Need A&M to beat South Carolina
Need Tennessee to beat Auburn
Need Ole Miss to beat Alabama
Need Alabama to beat Tennessee
Need South Carolina to beat Florida
Need Florida to beat Alabama
Need South Carolina to beat Tennessee
Need Mississippi State to beat South Carolina

Finally, UK beats Tennessee to clinch the #1 seed in the SEC Tournament. As they would win the tiebreaker over Alabama and Auburn, all with FIVE conference losses.

Looking at that I feel alabama finishes 14 and 4. If they don't lose to Ole Miss I think they beat tn at home and lose at Florida.

Reactions: Fox2monk
MSU's schedule the rest of the way is pretty tough.

@Auburn
@A&M
vs SC

They may very well drop out of the top 30.

At this point, I think we're a 4 either way. Win @ UT, we're knocking on the door of a 3 seed. Win a couple in the SEC Tournament and have the right teams lose...

I don't think we lost one.

Home games: Teams 1-30 are Quad 1. If we had 5 wins before, gained 1 and lost 1--we should still be at 5.

We may lose one as other teams play/win games.
Sorry, bad grammar.
We gained a quad 1 win. Gained a quad 1 loss.

Yes Need A&M to beat South Carolina Need Tennessee to beat Auburn Need Ole Miss to beat Alabama Need Alabama to beat Tennessee Need South Carolina to beat Florida Need Florida to beat Alabama Need South Carolina to beat Tennessee Need Mississippi State to beat South Carolina Finally, UK beats Tennessee to clinch the #1 seed in the SEC Tournament. As they would win the tiebreaker over Alabama and Auburn, all with FIVE conference losses.
That’s a whole bunch of needs, LOL.

Sorry, bad grammar.
We gained a quad 1 win. Gained a quad 1 loss.
Shoot.

I see what you're saying now dude. My bad. The Florida win being Quad 1 helps too. I'm guessing we'll eventually lose the MSU @ Rupp quad 1 win. They've got a pretty brutal finish. @ Auburn, @A&M, vs SC.

Florida may be able to stay in the top 30 for us though.

The only reason this Quad thing exists is to assist the committee is making their seedings.

Easier to say Team A is 6-0 vs Quad 1 teams than to actually list out the teams, the rank, the score of the game and where the game was played.

If only there was a system that took all of that into account.

Oh wait........there is. It's their own system that the Quad is based off of...........NET LOL.

There is no need for a committee. Take the NET. Or Kenpom. Or BPI. Or better yet an average of all of them and seed accordingly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT