ADVERTISEMENT

I think there is one more twist to come with ZW

I’ve felt like his smokescreen was UK and Clemson for a while. At 1st he seemed solid to UK with the the ties to Quickley (and he still may). However I think he’s going to “Shock the world” by going to South Carolina. Kansas wouldn’t be a huge shocker to me either. Direct quote from Wiggins recruitment with the same result. And with all the adidas money talk it would make sense.

I don't care either way but to me how interesting is his decision date? 1/20/18...Tyler Herro's Bday, 1st Gameday at Rupp and against Florida....I'm just sayin.

Don't think game day at Rupp was known when the announcement day was announced.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I'm not trying to convince you of anything. As I've said, the facts will come out shortly after the announcement of the behind the scene stuff and then your narrative will just be that I didn't know, I'm just a really good guesser. No sweat off my back who believes me. I'm getting amusement either way.

I was only responding to your comments. You were the one who stated you had a buddy that we Cal's neighbor and like 6 connections to the program. I only said I had a few, mostly football. I just asked if your buddy was at Cal's very many times. Maybe I knew him. The Calipari's are always hosting events and fundraisers, several their home each year. I just donate or buy tickets and attend, I never insinuated that I was some special person. You can easily get them to.
I've obviously struck a nerve or something with you because you seem to be taking this very seriously and aggressively. I hope you won't let it ruin your day.

Oh no nerve struck man. :) You tried to say that yesterday. It’s a message board bro... we discuss ... we reply to one another ya know ?
Like when you said yesterday that you “struck a nerve” because we replied to you?? Lol so if we continue to have a discussion then... we’re mad? A nerve has been struck? Cmon man, I’d like to think you know better than that.

Personally ? I think when you get backed into a corner and start to feel inferior/ proven wrong you project onto those around you as being “mad” or “upset “ which is very silly.

If you reply to this ... does that mean you’re angry and a nerve has been struck? :pimp:[winking]

Tell us again how many times you’ve been to John Caliparis house ? :100points:[laughing]

First name basis with Cal, super close to Zion and his family ? Inside information with boosters and recruits ? Cmon man you don’t really expect anyone to believe you right ...
ddb953c0758e9ba2032882f6c310703ce8bbd5011755d8e1f1c1479a9891e72b

Reactions: NothinButNylon
Take it how you want, but in this particular case I know someone very very close to the family and they also have a very good relationship with Zion himself and other people in the community
Zion absolutely loved UK and Cal and everything it had to offer. He came very very close to coming here. However, the deciding factor came down to a few key things.

Zion is very close to his family and realized coming to UK would limit the amount of games they could attend, where as at Clemson they can attend pretty much any home game and several ACC road games. After he goes pro he knows those opportunities will be even more limited. So there was one major reason. Another, and maybe the biggest, is that he wants to be able to help take Clemson basketball to the next level and believes he can make them a real contender. He's also aware that even if he doesn't win it all there he is still helping Clemson build and advance their program. He also became very close and comfortable with the coaching staff there and has visited unofficially several times over the last few months and he's fallen in love with it. He knows as long as he does the work he's a top 5 pick regardless of where he goes. He witness the success of USCjr last year and wants Clemson to have that same success.

He made his decision back in November around the time for the signing period, and gave a verbal commitment to Clemson. Which is why several crystal ball picks came in for Clemson over 6 days.
It started getting leaked out to a few people, however, his parents asked him to hold off a bit longer just to be sure he didn't have a change of heart. He did not and while he was out injured his decision was only further solidified by how Clemson coaches, coaches and other recruits handled it all. So a couple of days before the announcement news broke he contacted the staff's of the other schools and told them what he was doing.

As I said, take it with a grain of salt. I probably would in the same situation. The stories behind these recruitment usually comes out noting after the announcement is made anyway. Everyone will hear it eventually, doesn't really bother me either way. I just don't want people getting their hopes up only to be let down, shocked or angry, then doing stupid embarrassing the fan base.

Oh no nerve struck man. :) You tried to say that yesterday. It’s a message board bro... we discuss ... we reply to one another ya know ?
Like when you said yesterday that you “struck a nerve” because we replied to you?? Lol so if we continue to have a discussion then... we’re mad? A nerve has been struck? Cmon man, I’d like to think you know better than that.

Personally ? I think when you get backed into a corner and start to feel inferior/ proven wrong you project onto those around you as being “mad” or “upset “ which is very silly.

If you reply to this ... does that mean you’re angry and a nerve has been struck? :pimp:[winking]

Tell us again how many times you’ve been to John Caliparis house ? :100points:[laughing]

First name basis with Cal, super close to Zion and his family ? Inside information with boosters and recruits ? Cmon man you don’t really expect anyone to believe you right ...
ddb953c0758e9ba2032882f6c310703ce8bbd5011755d8e1f1c1479a9891e72b
You did just write an entire post to send how mad you aren’t, but okay.... not to mention with a Gif included. That seems like a bit of work for someone not really bothered.

I’ve been a few times, 4 - 5, but where did I mention I was on a first name basis with him or knew any boosters. Or where did I say I knew Zion or his family personally or had inside booster info. I would love to see if you could quote those pose that I said these things. However, since we both know you’ve made them up you won’t be able to.

Again, I said I knew a few people in athletics at UK. Most on football and a couple in basketball. Most anyone from Lexington would. It’s not that big of a place or that hard to meet people. UK athletics employees a lot of people. Not sure it’s that hard to believe I might know a few, unless of course you prefer not to, which is fine as well.

You do realize Zion’s parents aren’t sheltered people, right. They likely have a lot of friends who themselves have friends. Again, believe as you will, but to act as if it’s impossible anyone could possibly somehow be connected to them is sheer ignorance.

However, please continue your rant about not being upset or offended. It’s rather entertaining

Which just prove you can go other places and have success. Most experts would agree that so far this season Clemson basketball is having more success than UK basketball. Obviously and hopefully that changes, but it's an ignorant and easily disproven narrative that going to Clemson for a year is wasting/throwing it away. Quite the opposite actually.

Meh, I'd rather be a part of real history at a real program known for something other than Saturdays. Kentucky is a smarter choice for multiple reasons. Some of these guys simply don't understand that.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I would agree on two points:
1) Clemson isn’t a bad team or program
2) Zion is going to Clemson

I disagree that any random message board poster knows jack crap first hand. The % of legitimate connected people vs those who claim first hand knowledge is negligible. People who claim to know this crap are the bottom of the barrel

Ummm Clemson is a shity program. Haven't made the tournament in 7 years, last time they advanced past the second round was 1997, and they've won the ACC once, 1939.

They are shit historically but they are at least doing a little something right today.

If you’re 17 and it’s close to home, many times that’s all that matters

Perhaps. But they’re non sucking in basketball is more of a flash in the pan imo. If they get Zion they’ll be pretty good next year (possibly) I suppose but it’s fleeting and nowhere near UK, Duke, UNC, KU etc ... However I did agree with you in regards to resident so called “insiders” here on RR. Especially the one commenting ever so briskly in this thread (he’s been to Cal’s home several times ya know ;) )

Reactions: TheBigBlueSpectacle
Aww, thank you! I take that as a huge compliment actually.
Hey man! So I have watched you speak in absolutes like you know, which you might. That you had been to Cals 4 or 5 times (how cool you so badass as a fan that you can't recall if it's 4 or 5 man I could tell ya how many times and how many min if it been me) then i saw you post that you had no real insight and you didn't say you actually knew Cal by first name basis. So which is it? Did you just piece this together through your superior intellect over us mouth breathers, or do you actually have inside info? Just curious? Also what was your original take on JV I thought I recall you speaking in absolutes about him never playing or he wouldn't be that good or something I can't remember if not u my bad.

Take it how you want, but in this particular case I know someone very very close to the family and they also have a very good relationship with Zion himself and other people in the community
Zion absolutely loved UK and Cal and everything it had to offer. He came very very close to coming here. However, the deciding factor came down to a few key things.

Zion is very close to his family and realized coming to UK would limit the amount of games they could attend, where as at Clemson they can attend pretty much any home game and several ACC road games. After he goes pro he knows those opportunities will be even more limited. So there was one major reason. Another, and maybe the biggest, is that he wants to be able to help take Clemson basketball to the next level and believes he can make them a real contender. He's also aware that even if he doesn't win it all there he is still helping Clemson build and advance their program. He also became very close and comfortable with the coaching staff there and has visited unofficially several times over the last few months and he's fallen in love with it. He knows as long as he does the work he's a top 5 pick regardless of where he goes. He witness the success of USCjr last year and wants Clemson to have that same success.

He made his decision back in November around the time for the signing period, and gave a verbal commitment to Clemson. Which is why several crystal ball picks came in for Clemson over 6 days.
It started getting leaked out to a few people, however, his parents asked him to hold off a bit longer just to be sure he didn't have a change of heart. He did not and while he was out injured his decision was only further solidified by how Clemson coaches, coaches and other recruits handled it all. So a couple of days before the announcement news broke he contacted the staff's of the other schools and told them what he was doing.

As I said, take it with a grain of salt. I probably would in the same situation. The stories behind these recruitment usually comes out noting after the announcement is made anyway. Everyone will hear it eventually, doesn't really bother me either way. I just don't want people getting their hopes up only to be let down, shocked or angry, then doing stupid embarrassing the fan base.

That all very well may be true, but you didn’t start replying to this thread to “keep people from getting their hopes up”. You did it in a “look at me manner” and talked down to most posters. All because you “know somebody that knows somebody”.

I think the entire point went over your head. You're equating solely to being close to and coddled by parents, when that couldn't be further from the truth. He wants to be able to be closer to the people that sacrificed the most along with him to put allow him to be in this situation. He wants them to be able experience that as much as possible in his one year of college. The more they get to see him play the more they get to do that. It's not just his mom, but all of his extended family and friends and people in the community that have supported him as well. That's a far cry from needing hid mommy to hold him. Hell, I think travelling the country playing basketball would indicate he doesn't really need his mom around all the time, but if you can go to a school nearby that is building into contender, why not? You're an instant hero regardless and will get drafted high regardless. It's a win win.

You get the reason that appeals to him for the one year is because he knows he won't get the same opportunity in the NBA? Right?

It's not like Clemson is EKU or some school most have never heard of. They play in a top conference, have great athletic facilities and are currently a ranked team. We all need to get over this ignorant narrative that he's going to some scrub school or team. They may not be a blue blood or perennial powerhouse, but they are building a very respectable program.

A contender? For what? They won’t even win the ACC.

Watching Zion he plays like and is described as a team first player loves to get his teammates involved. Hmm? Doesn't match the whole wants the ball in his hands so go to the local school description. Just got a feeling here We have been to see him play since the Gspot said we backed off cause we knew we didn't have him. I have followed recruiting for 35 years man there is nothing about Zion Williamson recruitment that tells me the people who have hope are being dumb as u implied. Does it look good? Nope but I remember when we knew Young was going to Ok. Cal hasn't been acting like that in fact he is acting like he knows we may have him.

Perhaps. But they’re non sucking in basketball is more of a flash in the pan imo. If they get Zion they’ll be pretty good next year (possibly) I suppose but it’s fleeting and nowhere near UK, Duke, UNC, KU etc ... However I did agree with you in regards to resident so called “insiders” here on RR. Especially the one commenting ever so briskly in this thread (he’s been to Cal’s home several times ya know ;) )
I would say the only way he got into Cals house is if he is a pizza delivery boy , and has dropped of pizza or two lol !!!

I Still think there’s another turn in this thing. Too evident to be clemson for a guy who wants to “shock the world”.

1b2qko.jpg

Reactions: TheGspots
That boy could come out and publicly say he is picking Clemson on 1/20 with a video of him sending in his LOI and we would still have fans who believe he is coming to UK. HE IS GOING TO CLEMSON, it is over, has been since November. The staff is aware, Clemson is aware and most anyone with a brain cell is aware. Does it suck? Absolutely, but it's beyond time to move on. I know some of you will point out the Knox situation, but literally no one knew on that one. Not coaches, Not players, not recruiting experts, not even people close with the family could peg his choice. This instance could not be more opposite. Literally everyone knows his pick is Clemson which is why these feeble attempts at smoke screens are coming up. It's honestly laughable that anyone would still expect he might come here.

P.S. For all the same morons that think Wiseman is reclassifying and coming in place of Zion, that is not true either. His plan now and always has been to stay in his class and Graduate in 2019, then enter college. The only other player even on UK's list for 2018 at this point is Moses Brown and it's looking more and more like we won't go after him.
That sounds pessimistic, but it isn't the main story. You are leaving out the most important part. Coach Calipari currently has 11 scholarship players, plus 3 new signees (Quickley, Johnson, Herro). 11 + 3 = 14. The NCAA allows 13 scholarship basketball players at a time. So, just to take the players already committed to next year's team, Calipari needs at least 1 current UK player to leave. If Calipari were to take Zion Williamson or Moses Brown, he would need 2 current players to leave. Currently, Calipari doesn't know who will leave after this season, and can't be sure anyone except perhaps Diallo will go. Nick Richards' slow development means he probably needs to come back for his sophomore season. This is the real reason Brown doesn't have a UK scholarship offer. And it is why Calipari can't even be 100% sure he has room for Zion.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
That boy could come out and publicly say he is picking Clemson on 1/20 with a video of him sending in his LOI and we would still have fans who believe he is coming to UK. HE IS GOING TO CLEMSON, it is over, has been since November. The staff is aware, Clemson is aware and most anyone with a brain cell is aware. Does it suck? Absolutely, but it's beyond time to move on. I know some of you will point out the Knox situation, but literally no one knew on that one. Not coaches, Not players, not recruiting experts, not even people close with the family could peg his choice. This instance could not be more opposite. Literally everyone knows his pick is Clemson which is why these feeble attempts at smoke screens are coming up. It's honestly laughable that anyone would still expect he might come here.

P.S. For all the same morons that think Wiseman is reclassifying and coming in place of Zion, that is not true either. His plan now and always has been to stay in his class and Graduate in 2019, then enter college. The only other player even on UK's list for 2018 at this point is Moses Brown and it's looking more and more like we won't go after him.
Don’t understand why ZW had visits from all the coaches if he has already mad his choice. ZW could have told them via a phone call. Think this means your full of BS. Stay off a site meant for men little boy. I’m glad school will start back Monday that should keep you busy and you want have time to post BS stuff on our board.

Zion is going to the Clemson satellite campus in Columbia! . I heard it from a well connected dude who goes to Caliparis house a lot. (Shhhhh....@theGspot).

That sounds pessimistic, but it isn't the main story. You are leaving out the most important part. Coach Calipari currently has 11 scholarship players, plus 3 new signees (Quickley, Johnson, Herro). 11 + 3 = 14. The NCAA allows 13 scholarship basketball players at a time. So, just to take the players already committed to next year's team, Calipari needs at least 1 current UK player to leave. If Calipari were to take Zion Williamson or Moses Brown, he would need 2 current players to leave. Currently, Calipari doesn't know who will leave after this season, and can't be sure anyone except perhaps Diallo will go. Nick Richards' slow development means he probably needs to come back for his sophomore season. This is the real reason Brown doesn't have a UK scholarship offer. And it is why Calipari can't even be 100% sure he has room for Zion.

Good points. That's why I was hoping Zion would wait longer. I'm sure 2 or 3 guys will leave, but who knows at this point.

I respectfully disagree with this part of your statement.

Cal said he would sign one, maybe two more guys. So, he knows for the most part how many will be back. He talks with these guys throughout the season, he talks to NBA scouts, he has a good idea which ones are going and which ones are staying. He isn't usually surprised like the fans when someone leaves for the pros.

Last year, he said we would sign 8 or 9. We signed 8 and lost 8.

Like you said, he won't oversign, in fact, he rarely has more than 11 scholarship players each year.

Most likely, if he signs 4 or 5 (the three this past Fall, plus two in the spring) as he said he would, then he probably expects to lose 4 or 5.

Not sure which 4 or 5, though.

I think you are spot on about the Richards/Brown situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT