ADVERTISEMENT

I still think Kentucky can have a decent class without Wandale

Feb 3, 2018
although he was UK’s top ranked prospect and it always hurts to lose a “once in a generation” type talent like that, I still think Kentucky and coach BIG DAWG Vince Marrow will be able to get this thing going!

Nebraska and coach Scott Frost have some really good recruiters on staff, so there is no reason to feel bad about coming in 2nd! Robinson was destined to play in an offense that will feature him, and although it’s a much more crowded backfield (NU has recruited very well the last 3 years) than what was at UK, I have no doubt he will play early...and the opportunity to be a premier piece of Frost’s offense was too much to turn down.

although he was UK’s top ranked prospect and it always hurts to lose a “once in a generation” type talent like that, I still think Kentucky and coach BIG DAWG Vince Marrow will be able to get this thing going!

Nebraska and coach Scott Frost have some really good recruiters on staff, so there is no reason to feel bad about coming in 2nd! Robinson was destined to play in an offense that will feature him, and although it’s a much more crowded backfield (NU has recruited very well the last 3 years) than what was at UK, I have no doubt he will play early...and the opportunity to be a premier piece of Frost’s offense was too much to turn down.
If Juan Dale is a once in a generation type talent that does not speak well for high school football. His high school team finished 70th in the state of Kentucky.

Marrow already has this thing going and we dodged a bullet when Nebraska took away a player with little character. His heart was never in Kentucky and he is Nebraska's problem now. Good luck with him and don't let him lie to your face.

We had a decent class before him and we'll have a decent class after him. Once in a generation statement for an unproven HS player. Let's see, we have two All-Americans, that could be once in a generation. Benny Snell has had three straight 1,000 yard rushing years. That could be a once in a generation player. Even without the AA status, Josh Allen's season and career sack records are better than once in a generation. And you so easily give that once in a generation title to a 5' 9" high school player. lol

Nobody feels bad to lose a wide receiver. Now to lose a defensive end or offensive tackle. That's entirely another thing. That's something to cry over.

Typically a once in a generation player Earns that after they have proven to be that type of player on the College level. Robinson may end up that type of player it is jet to be determined. But labeling him that before he takes a college snap. I’m not sure he deserves that distinction yet.

Michael, how long have you been following football? Losing one player never destroys your recruiting. There is no such thing in football, as a "One in a generation," player. These are high school kids, still growing and hopefully maturing. That young Kid (he's not a man) has a lot to learn in life, starting with his word. I have always said,"If a kid doesn't want to come to UK, I don't want him at UK." We'll be just fine. There is a player in this class, no one knows who it is, will turn out to be an exceptional good player, just as Benny and Josh were. We never dreamed they would be that good when they were recruited. I wish the kid the best of luck at Nebraska, but more important, I hope he learns that his word is the only thing that will get him respected in life. No one respects a LIAR.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Michael, how long have you been following football? Losing one player never destroys your recruiting. There is no such thing in football, as a "One in a generation," player. These are high school kids, still growing and hopefully maturing. That young Kid (he's not a man) has a lot to learn in life, starting with his word. I have always said,"If a kid doesn't want to come to UK, I don't want him at UK." We'll be just fine. There is a player in this class, no one knows who it is, will turn out to be an exceptional good player, just as Benny and Josh were. We never dreamed they would be that good when they were recruited. I wish the kid the best of luck at Nebraska, but more important, I hope he learns that his word is the only thing that will get him respected in life. No one respects a LIAR.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Character is a afterthought with many in todays generation. In our generation it was drilled into us by our parents, family members and society as a whole. The deterioration of values and norms probably is tied to the breakdown of the family unit and evident in this young man.

I think folks prop up instate talent a lot more than what they should.

Wandale may go on to be a really solid player, great. However WRs, usually are not program changers, especially when your offense appears to not know exactly what a WR is or does.

RBs, DEs, and QBs change the game. Increasingly it's the latter two as we evolve further into the passing oriented era of football. The most successful teams at all levels will have a productive QB and productive pass rusher(s).

All in all, I'd rather CMS recruit outside the state in the more talent-rich areas. The more time he spends on the Drew Barker, Matt Elam, and Wandales of the world the less time he's spending on other talents.

I'm from the school that says UK or even UL shouldn't have to try too hard to recruit in-state talent. In fact, it should be the other way around. The in-state talent should make their case why the roster spot should go to them and not someone from Georgia, Florida, Texas, Ohio, etc.

Unless it's Micheal Bush, Sean Alexander, or Tim Couch, I'm not sure state of Kentucky talent has produced a program changer in the last 25 years. Some good talent, sure, but nobody that would change the fortunes of UK or UL like those three guys, and one of them played with Alabama talent.

Last edited:
I feel like WR's and athletes(which is what Robinson is on rivals) are so hit and miss compared to all the other positions. He'll be a good player I think but that position as a whole you just never know.

No way I believe this kid is a "once in a generation" talent"! He may be, but at his size I'm just not buying it until he proves it. This won't be 2A high school fb in Kentucky. Then again he isn't going to be playing in the SEC either. Maybe he was scared of that. Time will tell.

Class could be good but must hang onto key commits, especially Butler, and gain at least one really good OL, probably an OT.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Nobody feels bad to lose a wide receiver. Now to lose a defensive end or offensive tackle. That's entirely another thing. That's something to cry over.
Not true ...we missed big time on Moore & Wright. Man what weapons JB is going to have on offense and he knows how/will use them!

Wandale is a top 100 player but he's not a once in a generation type talent. He's ranked higher that Milton Wright and JJ Weaver but in actuality he's about the same level talent. UK will have a very good class even without Wandale and we are still recruiting.

As nice as it would be to get him I'm still not sure how he fit into Gran's offense. We would have had to modify the system to get him the ball any significant number of times. The system we play the Y receiver touches the ball maybe once or twice per game.

Who?

Huge understatement, Robinson was a four star athlete. If our class value hinges on that then we don’t have much anyway.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
When someone uses the phrase “once in a generation” with respect to UK FB recruiting, I think of Tim Couch, not Juan Dale Robinson.

And not just in Kentucky, but in the nation. Tons more publicity about football recruiting now, but Tim was famous across the nation as a recruit..

Not true ...we missed big time on Moore & Wright. Man what weapons JB is going to have on offense and he knows how/will use them!

Is that a positive post about JB's coaching or another slam directed at Stoops? Very seldom that you miss a chance. How is Purdue's defense doing, didn't they end up 6-6 in a weaker conference?

I'm not even sure that Robinson is a once in a generation player from Frankfort. Ryan Timmons had a solid, though not spectacular, career at UK. It remains to be seen whether Robinson will match that.

In any event, yes, we can do just fine with this year's class without Robinson. His flip was disappointing. This setback, by way of comparison, is about 1/1000th the level of a certain coach at Purdue deciding to stay where he is as opposed to going home.

Is that a positive post about JB's coaching or another slam directed at Stoops? Very seldom that you miss a chance. How is Purdue's defense doing, didn't they end up 6-6 in a weaker conference?

I thought Bowden had a great year, how about you? Hasn't he got some All SEC honors both years, with steady improvement?

Reactions: no1gman
I wish he had came, but he didn't. Just football recruiting and kids.
I have no idea how he turns out....truth is he seems a little small. Awfully fast. He may be the next Heisman winner.

BUT....if he really, really, really wants to be somewhere else he would never reach his potential at Kentucky.
Part of the joy of football compared to basketball these days is seeing how that player developed. Reading what some of Kentuckys coaches have said, even they marvel at Allen.
UK will be all right. These coaches have seemed to do pretty good in identifying talent.

Reactions: sluggercatfan

Lol hope the weather is nice in Nebraska buddy. Stay on y’alls board and just be happy y’all don’t have to play us because it would probably be an old fashioned a** kicking with that “elite” Scott Frost offense y’all have lol

Are we just going to pretend Wandale leaving didn’t hurt? He is really good and at a position of need. The 10+ threads about him prove that. Now will we move on? Hell yeah because that’s what quality programs do. Next man up mentality that CMS has preached ever since he arrived.

I think Kentucky will be fine without him, just can't figure out why one of the best players would go out of state spurning all of the Kentucky schools that wanted him. Nebraska is not the Nebraska of the 60',70's and 80's far from it and to think he had already flipped to the cats only to go back to the Huskers. They only won 4 games this year, what's in Lincoln besides corn tom make him go there, odd.

Mr. Robinson is not a “once in a generation” player. He is very good and would have been a great player for UK. However, there are other players just as good and our staff is going after a player of equal or better potential.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
If Juan Dale is a once in a generation type talent that does not speak well for high school football. His high school team finished 70th in the state of Kentucky.

Marrow already has this thing going and we dodged a bullet when Nebraska took away a player with little character. His heart was never in Kentucky and he is Nebraska's problem now. Good luck with him and don't let him lie to your face.
Great post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT