ADVERTISEMENT

I feel like BBM has lost something

Mar 2, 2008
I don’t know what it is. Can’t put my finger on it. Maybe because of the Bahamas games and we’ve already seen these guys play.? Maybe it was the cheesy slam dunk contest and less scrimmage time? I’m sure I’ll get blasted for this. IDC. I woke up with 12 F&$#s to give and I’ll go to bed with a dozen.

I don’t know what it is. Can’t put my finger on it. Maybe because of the Bahamas games and we’ve already seen these guys play.? Maybe it was the cheesy slam dunk contest and less scrimmage time? I’m sure I’ll get blasted for this. IDC. I woke up with 12 F&$#s to give and I’ll go to bed with a dozen.

I lost 500 gambling today
In a parking lot eating a five dollar hot n ready
Only thing keeping a smile on my face is the potential of this team

But to each their own

I lost 500 gambling today
In a parking lot eating a five dollar hot n ready
Only thing keeping a smile on my face is the potential of this team

But to each their own

The potential is there and it could be great. I’m talking about BBM itself.

Probably the best BBM since the first one and maybe when they first show cased the court projection.

3 point shooting contest was awesome. In terms of basketball related, this was the best out of all Cal's BBM.

Slam dunk contest could improve a lot, and scrimmage is completely meaningless. I actually feel like they would be better off doing some sort of drills / competition instead of these meaningless games where its worse than pick up games.

I don’t know what it is. Can’t put my finger on it. Maybe because of the Bahamas games and we’ve already seen these guys play.? Maybe it was the cheesy slam dunk contest and less scrimmage time? I’m sure I’ll get blasted for thisDC. I woke up with 12 F&$#s to give and I’ll go to bed with a dozen.

I thought the slam dunk contest could have been a little better organized. But I liked the addition of that and the 3pt contest. It makes it more fun for the kids.

It supposed to be fun and energizing. The blue white game is more for the full scrimmage.

I liked it. Something different. Watching Herro and Quickly go at it was a blast.

Funny. I liked it better than most. To each his own.

Not to sound like a complete grandpa but it was great when it began at midnight in Memorial. You rarely saw or heard from the players before then so it truly was an introduction and special event.

Now you see and hear about them daily so there is very little you can do to make it special. I do feel BBM and the Blue/White game are great for fans who rarely get into games though. I'd suggest Blue/White over BBM but to each their own.

Last edited:
Probably the best BBM since the first one and maybe when they first show cased the court projection.

3 point shooting contest was awesome. In terms of basketball related, this was the best out of all Cal's BBM.

Slam dunk contest could improve a lot, and scrimmage is completely meaningless. I actually feel like they would be better off doing some sort of drills / competition instead of these meaningless games where its worse than pick up games.

I agree.

We are in the age of too much information. that's the situation. Pre-internet you had a weekly catspause that might have some bball preview before Madness and your six o'clock news to give a few minutes during the sports segments. The anticipation for the unveiling of the Cats was obviously much more exciting when you are starved for coverage. Not even close to the case now.

I wish we could take the crowd we saw last night and put that crowd into every home game at Rupp. Why that’s nit possible I’ll never know.

Reactions: Calsthebomb
The scrimmage was a bit disappointing. I know typically they don't play defense but last night was completely meaningless lol. They took not playing defense to another level lol.

Having said that, everything else was top notch. They definitely need to continue the 3 pt and slam dunk competitions....maybe even introduce a skills competition or something

I’d like to see the top 3 shooters play horse. Must be behind 3 point line to save time. And not that puss horse, the kind where everyone playing has to hit the shot that’s made no matter if someone misses or not.

Or the team line up and play gotcha from the three point line.

I thought it was a great madness. Fantastic speech by Coach. The 3 point shootout and dunk contest were both fun. All and all I say it was a hit.

I watched it today and IMO we have had much better BBM. The scrimmage was very bad. I just forward thru most of it. I think the Blue/White Is much better.

Reactions: bevcat
I think it is because even the scrimmage was not really a scrimmage. It was someone passing up the court for someone just to get a dunk. Most of us are ready for some actual basketball, and last night wasn't it. Lot's of people love it, but it is my least favorite thing to attend. Blue-White will start scratching the itch.

all-that-kentucky-half-time.jpg

We are in the age of too much information. that's the situation. Pre-internet you had a weekly catspause that might have some bball preview before Madness and your six o'clock news to give a few minutes during the sports segments. The anticipation for the unveiling of the Cats was obviously much more exciting when you are starved for coverage. Not even close to the case now.

Lotta truth here. There was a time when it was our first glimpse at our guys, at all. No highlight videos out there. I remember in 1995 I couldn’t wait to see this guy Ron Mercer I had heard so much about. Today I would’ve watched 25 mixtapes on him by now and already seen some summer footage of him on campus.

I think that you have to just take it for what it is. It’s a show. It’s not really basketball.

There are portions that are dull. And I can see where someone would say the entire thing is a bit overrated.

But that intro video comes on and the players come out......I dunno that just gets me every single time. That feeling inside that another amazing year of Uk basketball is about to begin. That’s why I end up going back year in year out

Didn't read the responses but my guess is you are older and have other things going on in your life besides an event like this.

I’m guessing you like football more anyway, given your avatar.
Most of of the football fans that I know get pissed when I mention anything about basketball, I'm the type that can multitask when it comes to basketball and football. I love both just basketball a little better and see no reason why both can't be discussed year around. Sorry for the rant but that stuff aggravates me.

The scrimmage was almost unwatchable. But that’s pretty much every year. Glad Cal added the contests beforehand.

Get
BW tickets if it bothers you.

Part of my turning it off in the middle of a very short and uninspiring 10-minute "scrimmage," was the fact that we had already seen them play. To say the least, this was destined to be anti-climactic, but with that in mind and considering the summer games, spicing this BBM up a bit would have been a great thing. Make the scrimmage into a competitive game. I liked the contests, but why not have a FT contest. Most consecutive makes wins, or best of 20. Lots of interesting shooting drills and competitive shooting games that we could see...watching our guys play "knockout" would be a hoot. Oh well, at least it's a start and we're hopefully officially on our way to a championship...the most important thing of all.

I'd rather watch three point contest and dunks than the scrimmage with no defense.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I would have to disagree that BBM wasn't as good as years past. I thought it was great! I liked that they limited the time for the women. I enjoyed the hype video and the player introductions. I liked the 3pt contest and the dunk contest and thought they were an excellent addition. Now, if you are watching this to see a real scrimmage, you're watching for the wrong reason. We already saw the team in the Bahamas and you can watch those 4 games anytime. We'll be having the Blue-White scrimmage coming in about a week if you want more of a scrimmage. Having already seen the team may have lessened your anticipation, but that's not the fault of this event.

ADVERTISEMENT