ADVERTISEMENT

I don't want Hurley

Remember in 2012 when Cal won his only title in 30+ years of coaching? He immediately said (paraphrasing) “now that that’s finally over, I can focus on other things”.

Meanwhile Hurley just won his 2nd title in as many years. The first thing out of his mouth after the game? “Time to try for 3. Let’s make this a dynasty.”

And you don’t want that guy? After the loser mentality culture that Cal has saddled us with for years?

Remember in 2012 when Cal won his only title in 30+ years of coaching? He immediately said (paraphrasing) “now that that’s finally over, I can focus on other things”.

Meanwhile Hurley just won his 2nd title in as many years. The first thing out of his mouth after the game? “Time to try for 3. Let’s make this a dynasty.”

And you don’t want that guy? After the loser mentality culture that Cal has saddled us with for years?

That's a good point.

If he was interested, and we hired him. Cool. I don't prefer him, but I prefer that particular sentiment in our coach.

but you like the coach that 24 hrs ago tried to exhort the school for a few extra millions . your feelings on if you like the new coach doesnt matter
He had such ‘high character”…lmao

I said it. I don't want him. The guy just doesn't seem likable. Actually, quite the opposite. He seems like a Cronin. I want to be able to enjoy watching Kentucky basketball and respect the coach. We're just getting away from a coach that's insufferable, and if things went south with Hurley, it'd be the same think skinned snarky crap again. Let's not sell our souls to the devil. Just my opinion. You can have yours.
I totally understand where you're coming from, but at this point, I just want a coach who can win and win consistently. I don't care if he's a d-bag or the biggest asshole on the planet. If he brings wins and championships to Kentucky then he's doing his job. No one cared about Coach Cal's arrogance and brashness when he was winning.

I totally understand where you're coming from, but at this point, I just want a coach who can win and win consistently. I don't care if he's a d-bag or the biggest asshole on the planet. If he brings wins and championships to Kentucky then he's doing his job. No one cared about Coach Cal's arrogance and brashness when he was winning.
I agree. But now, having seen (and been stuck with) the flip side of that arrogance, it's just not something I'm looking to re-live.

Again, sure Hurley is on my list as well, and he's a fine coach. I just don't have him #1 on my list, because of his personality. Other people are welcome to think differently. Although, I will say, I'm not sure my opinion warranted the reaction (and fabrication) from some.

You should have seen her before she cleaned herself up. A buddy of mine saw her out and about when he was at NIU in the late 80s. He said she wasnt the prettiest girl in town back when he was in school, but she was alright looking. Couldn't get into NIU though, so she couldn't have been too bright. She was at Kishwaukee (sp?) Community college then.
I still remember those VHS tapes of her working out on the beach that mom had. I’d borrow them and “work out” in my room as a kid with the door locked.

• Haha
Reactions: Girthang
I said it. I don't want him. The guy just doesn't seem likable. Actually, quite the opposite. He seems like a Cronin. I want to be able to enjoy watching Kentucky basketball and respect the coach. We're just getting away from a coach that's insufferable, and if things went south with Hurley, it'd be the same think skinned snarky crap again. Let's not sell our souls to the devil. Just my opinion. You can have yours.
Just win baby!

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I want him but also understand why people might be skeptical.

He's got a well documented history of mental health issues (by his own admission) and he doesn't handle criticism or scrutiny very well. He's also a Northeast guy through and through. Jersey City -> Seton Hall -> Rutgers -> Wagner -> Rhode Island -> UConn. Wouldn't surprise me if he's never spent more than a few days outside of the NE corridor.

I would take Hurley in a heartbeat. Calipari would have completely buried our program if he'd stayed another year. The damage he has caused the last 4 years will take a new coach years to bring back.

My expectations for this year is rebuilding what Calipari left in tatters. Memphis fans tried warning us after we got Calipari. Of course we laughed at them (Me included) and now, they're laughing at us and have every right in doing so.

I want Donovan over Drew. I know we won't get Hurley unless hell freezes over first. I'm keeping everything at a minimum because the last time Kentucky hired in haste, we got BIlly Gillespie.

I want someone who puts the program first and won't make promises to a parent like Calipari did with Edwards and Wagner.

This is the stuff that makes this fanbase a punchline
Now why would we want a two-time NCAA championship coach on our sidelines? Hell, while we're at it, I don't want Billy Donovan, either. His shoes are too shiny.

It’s gonna be really hard to find a humble coach at this level. Most are going to have their quirks and extra confidence imo. The trick to keeping it in check is NOT giving him all the leverage via a contract. Keep it fair but it needs checks and balances and expiration dates that apply checks and balance sort of speak.

its not like your going be talking to him everyday, so who cares if he wins and wins the right way.

Hurley could call me personally every day and berate me as long as he wins back to back titles here too!

• Haha
Reactions: Girthang
It’s gonna be really hard to find a humble coach at this level. Most are going to have their quirks and extra confidence imo. The trick to keeping it in check is NOT giving him all the leverage via a contract. Keep it fair but it needs checks and balances and expiration dates that apply checks and balance sort of speak.

Yep. Use the tools available when you can

I'm with the OP here. I don't want Hurley either... not just because he's a prick (he is). But seriously... how weak is it that we are trying to steal another blue blood coach and call him our own. Did we ever want Coach K to coach here, Roy Williams, or Bill Self? No! I hate these other teams and I hate UCONN.

"Please Coach Hurley, come save us from our mediocrity!" Such a Kevin Durant to the Warriors move. No, I'd rather beat his ass. He ain't coming anyway, but this is as weak as it gets.

I would cut of my left testicle if Hurley would come coach here.

I don’t care about his attitude, I care about winning.

Oh okay, you're the ONE!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT