ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley to Lakers?

I think he’ll take it if the Lakers give him power over the roster.

I’m sure he’s realized he’s not gonna 3 peat after seeing player workouts, but he could always go back and wait out an NBA offer closer to UConn if negotiations with the Lakers don’t work out.

James has already said he 'loves his new coach.' Everybody thought Redick would be the one but they have been communicating with Hurley for a while now and he has been at the top of their list the whole time even through interviewing several others.

Very well could have gone down like this:

Lakers let it be known they want him.
Wife says let me think on it, because it’s this or stay where we are.
Lakers go about their due diligence.
Makes it super easy to turn down UK.
She takes a trip to go visit LA, gets wooed.
That’s not setting off national media alarms.
Says “I’m up for it, Dan”
Then this news comes out

If the Lakers agree to giving Hurley the type of control and authority over the roster, a long term deal with a top 3 salary then I could see him taking it.

I think he’ll take it if the Lakers give him power over the roster.

I’m sure he’s realized he’s not gonna 3 peat after seeing player workouts, but he could always go back and wait out an NBA offer closer to UConn if negotiations with the Lakers don’t work out.
Apparently they like his culture and want him to implement it into the organization so I’d say he’s gonna get a lot of control to entice him to come. I still think he would need to dial it back a little because pros are gonna make more than him and most won’t like being yelled at like in high school. I’m sure he will adapt but it will be interesting to see.

Very well could have gone down like this:

Lakers let it be known they want him.
Wife says let me think on it, because it’s this or stay where we are.
Lakers go about their due diligence.
Makes it super easy to turn down UK.
She takes a trip to go visit LA, gets wooed.
That’s not setting off national media alarms.
Says “I’m up for it, Dan”
Then this news comes out
I could see that, but honestly I didn’t think we had a shot at Dan because of his wife mainly. I mean he was already at a place he could easily win at as he proved so why love in college. His aspirations have always been coaching the pros, this may be the one time he overrides his wife’s wishes. I mean he has enough money to have her and his family stay in the Northeast and have a home in LA. They could fly out anytime they wanted honestly. Live in LA during the season and back home the rest of the time. She could always go home when we she wants as well.

Rumor I just heard is that LA is going to offer $80M over 5 years.
If that's true, and my wife said no, I'd find a new wife!!
lol. Only kidding honey!
Obviously to us that is a no brainer, but when you have already made 80 million it’s a heck of a lot easier to value other things even more.

Last edited:
Reactions: NociHTTP
I would be. Rarely are you going to get a good gig in the pros going from college. You're usually stuck with trash to work with.
Yeah plus it’s not easy getting the Lakers or Celtics job. I mean they have come open more than you would think the last 20 years but you have to strike while your hot if that is your main goal.

if my dream was to be a title winning NBA coach and my wife was trying to keep me from doing it, then she shouldnt be my wife. Hurley's wife didnt even come visit lexington, she visited LA yesterday. She knows her husband really wants it and wont get in the way. Although I bet if Boston or the Knicks comes up, she'll be tapping at him to make the lateral NBA move out east.

Yeah plus it’s not easy getting the Lakers or Celtics job. I mean they have come open more than you would think the last 20 years but you have to strike while your hot if that is your main goal.
I'm sure he wanted the Knicks job the most but if LA calls, you take it as long as you have stars to work with. That's the key in the NBA. You better have a roster that can win or you're done within two years anyway.

Pitino's NBA career looks a lot different if for one he wasn't the GM but also if he gets Tim Duncan in the 1997 draft.

Hiptoro now reporting it is getting close to a done deal. Magic Johnson chimed in saying how excited he was to get Hurley.

We won't have to see his interviews anymore.

caffeine GIF

Apparently they like his culture and want him to implement it into the organization so I’d say he’s gonna get a lot of control to entice him to come. I still think he would need to dial it back a little because pros are gonna make more than him and most won’t like being yelled at like in high school. I’m sure he will adapt but it will be interesting to see.
If he doesn't, he might find himself peering out from behind a locker door.

To people from the northeast, urban Jersey, NYC, it’s all Appalachia. They don’t know or GAF to know.

Btw I love NYC and get along great up there, but “Lexington” might as well be Mars to them.
And similarly, people from Kentucky have no clue what it's actually like to live in places like California or NY. Neither place is the unsafe liberal hell hole this thread is making California out to be. Middle and lower middle class people pay more taxes in Florida and Texas than they do in California.

---
To me, NYC is a shi*hole, & I'd include the whole east coast as one, it's all the same. And I don't know or GAF to know if it isn't.
It's really funny to hear this from people who don't live here. Go look at almost any standard of living metric and the northeast is at the top and the south is at the bottom. States like NJ, MA, and the NY metro area have some of the best education systems, best healthcare quality, highest incomes, lowest incidences of poverty and food insecurity, and per capita are some of the safest places in the country.

I understand the notion that NYC is a shithole.. because.. it kind of is now. A lot different than when I was there in the late 2000s.

But to write off the whole rest of the NE? To each their own I guess. But there's a heck of a lot of good to be found in the NE. Whether it's Portland Maine, Boston, Greenpoint LI, Cape Cod, ADKs, Vermont.

Upstate NY has a lot of similarities to KY. Upstate NY is more conservative than NYC. Big on horses, lot of rolling hills and limestone. Big on horses and farms. You can have some city life with Albany NY, but you can be out in farmlands and rural life within 30 minutes.
The northeast has it's issues, like every place does, but for my money it's definitely one of the best places in the country. You listed a lot of great places. I'm in NJ and could realistically go to the beach in the morning, go on a hike in the Delware Water Gap in the afternoon, and catch a Broadway show or NBA/NHL/MLB game at night.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
And similarly, people from Kentucky have no clue what it's actually like to live in places like California or NY. Neither place is the unsafe liberal hell hole this thread is making California out to be. Middle and lower middle class people pay more taxes in Florida and Texas than they do in California.

costliest states to live in — 1. hawaii 2 ny 3.calif

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT