ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley to Lakers?

There are certain NBA jobs you just don't turn down: Lakers, Celtics, Knicks...that being said, their roster is trash and they have little moves to make as they have no draft picks in the near future to trade, LBJ is a year or so from retiring, and AD will always have injury concerns. In no world are they better than a 6 seed in the west. If it were OKC with a young team and a ton of draft picks then I get it, but even it being the Lakers job it doesn't seem that appealing from a chance of success standpoint. If he takes it, it's because of the money and if he has some signs of life then he can stay a NBA coach forever. All those guys bounce around but always have a job.
Help is on the way, Bronny🤣🤣

if Hurley wants the job but turns it down because his wife doesn’t want to move then he needs to divorce that woman lol

And this is the difference between LA and Lexington KY. His wife doesn't want to be in Appalachia.. but LA is LA, and it offers a TON more in opportunities. I suspect she won't be too upset with a mansion outside of LA.

If he has no social life now, playing a 82 game schedule, plus dealing with huge ego millionaires will not be any easier. This is the Los Angeles Lakers, not the Washington Wizards. He will be expected to produce results, and not 5 years from now. 82 games, the NBA draft, free agency, and other daily NBA team functions will consume more time than a college schedule and recruiting. But the NIL thing and constant roster overhaul is what will drive a lot of coaches out. In the NBA you at least know how long you have different players for, but egos will be something to deal with.
If he's purpose driven, he might embrace another challenge.

Don't want to underestimate how big this is to remove Hurley/Uconn out of the way in college basketball. Getting Hurley to the NBA is almost as big of a win as landing a recruit IMO. It also removes what was looking to be a small stranglehold on northeast recruiting, where a place like UK isn't too far from.

And this is the difference between LA and Lexington KY. His wife doesn't want to be in Appalachia.. but LA is LA, and it offers a TON more in opportunities. I suspect she won't be too upset with a mansion outside of LA.
Lexington isn't in Appalachia LMAO. It's in the bluegrass area of KY. An area comparable to southern/central Virginia.
cy5qcGc

He won’t work in the NBA. Only two big college coaches recently who became NBA lifers? Not screamers. Not totalitarians. Thick skin. Totally unlike Hurley.

But it doesn’t matter. California is awesome if you’re filthy rich, and he can easily demand 8 years 100 million. Even if you’re fired in a few years, you’ll have your pick of any NCAA job. If you do win, winning with the lakers puts you into GOAT conversations like Riley and Jackson. His ego will be very difficult to ignore.

It makes a lot more sense he turned down UK.

Lexington isn't in Appalachia LMAO. It's in the bluegrass area of KY. An area comparable to southern/central Virginia.
cy5qcGc
To people from the northeast, urban Jersey, NYC, it’s all Appalachia. They don’t know or GAF to know.

Btw I love NYC and get along great up there, but “Lexington” might as well be Mars to them.

Reactions: RunninRichie
cy5qcGc

I mean, does this change my point, in the end? I don't think it does.

Fine, Lexington isn't Appalachia.. but as someone else said, it might as well be to people who live in NYC or LA. Both parties have their judgements on the other places, some true, some not.

But hurleys wife clearly didn't want to live in Lexington KY (and it doesn't seem Scott Drew's family did either). But LA is probably a place more suited for her, IF her husband wants to get a big raise and move the family.

I mean, does this change my point, in the end? I don't think it does.

Fine, Lexington isn't Appalachia.. but as someone else said, it might as well be to people who live in NYC or LA. Both parties have their judgements on the other places, some true, some not.

But hurleys wife clearly didn't want to live in Lexington KY (and it doesn't seem Scott Drew's family did either). But LA is probably a place more suited for her, IF her husband wants to get a big raise and move the family.
What’s funny is Lexington may have been to big for the Drew family, and too small for the Shirley’s. Autocorrect made me type that twice and I’m keeping it, but really it’s Hurley’s.

What’s funny is Lexington may have been to big for the Drew family, and too small for the Shirley’s. Autocorrect made me type that twice and I’m keeping it, but really it’s Hurley’s.

Weird how that might have been the case lol.

People who live in the northeast want something similar.. not only from a wealth perspective, but ideologies, politics, etc. No different than a lot of people from KY who probably want no business being on either coast.

To people from the northeast, urban Jersey, NYC, it’s all Appalachia. They don’t know or GAF to know.

Btw I love NYC and get along great up there, but “Lexington” might as well be Mars to them.
---
To me, NYC is a shi*hole, & I'd include the whole east coast as one, it's all the same. And I don't know or GAF to know if it isn't.

---
To me, NYC is a shi*hole, & I'd include the whole east coast as one, it's all the same. And I don't know or GAF to know if it isn't.
New York is awesome if you know where to go. There’s actually quite a few Kentuckians you’ll run into up there, there’s a strong horse/Irish connection. Kentuckians do well in NYC because we don’t GAF either lol. It’s not for everyone though, that’s for sure.

But it doesn’t matter. California is awesome if you’re filthy rich, and he can easily demand 8 years 100 million.
I'm guessing he will get offered more than that; I think Kerr makes about $17 million next year. The NBA is crazy money for top coaches as well as players.

Reactions: StubbornPenny
New York is awesome if you know where to go. There’s actually quite a few Kentuckians you’ll run into up there, there’s a strong horse/Irish connection. Kentuckians do well in NYC because we don’t GAF either lol. It’s not for everyone though, that’s for sure.

I understand the notion that NYC is a shithole.. because.. it kind of is now. A lot different than when I was there in the late 2000s.

But to write off the whole rest of the NE? To each their own I guess. But there's a heck of a lot of good to be found in the NE. Whether it's Portland Maine, Boston, Greenpoint LI, Cape Cod, ADKs, Vermont.

Upstate NY has a lot of similarities to KY. Upstate NY is more conservative than NYC. Big on horses, lot of rolling hills and limestone. Big on horses and farms. You can have some city life with Albany NY, but you can be out in farmlands and rural life within 30 minutes.

Reactions: ukcatz12
I'm glad right now he didn't take UK's offer; he'd have ditched us at the 1st opportunity. I also thought it curious
that he lost 2 lottery picks and a 1st team All-American and another quality starter and only replaced them with one mid-tier 5 star and a 4 star and one decent transfer.

He's a Northeast guy. if this was the Knicks or the Nets, I could see him jumping. I don't see him dragging his family cross country. We could have made him a massive offer too but he said "nah, I'm good"
"Massive" is a relative term. :cool:

Goodman REALLY wants Pearl to get a different job. He's pimped him for every opening that's "better" than Auburn
I’m starting to think Pearl hangs it up at Auburn. He’s done a nice job there, and I’ve seen their fans say he is priming his son for the job- don’t think many other schools would entertain that idea.

Hurley never made it a secret that coaching in the NBA was the ultimate goal it's even written into his contract with the difference in buyout. Egos Like Cal, Pitino, Hurley can't help themselves.
Didn’t know that. If that is the case, the Lakers and Celtics are the Pinnacle of The NBA. I just thought he was a college guy. Big ego coaches don’t seem to fit a culture where the players have all the power.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Didn’t know that. If that is the case, the Lakers and Celtics are the Pinnacle of The NBA. I just thought he was a college guy. Big ego coaches don’t seem to fit a culture where the players have all the power.

It’ll get old fast with pros, unless he chills out. But the minute he signs that contract he gets all the money, so long as he doesn’t do something unbelievably stupid.

Wouldn’t it be crazy for a Coach to turn down Kentucky and the the Lakers in the same year. Sounds like he will take the job 5 years 75 million guaranteed. If he is a bust he can land almost any College job out there.

I didn't think it was serious till I read Hurley's comments. Sounds like he is miserable at UConn.
He is miserable trying to deal with the broken college system.

No coach in their right mind can deal with the current $hitshow for very long.
Especially if they have better options. Right now, the NBA is a much better option than college coaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: TFCats11
so Beverly Hills isnt the same as Lexington .. Duh

No way Lexington is considered Appalachia.. I'd put maybe 1/3 of Ky in Appalachian area.. Rest is just flat country and cities..
It's not flat everywhere. It's hilly mostly. Western KY is flat because it's in the mississippi delta. South-central KY and the bluegrass are rolling hills.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT