ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley to Lakers?

Comments I read from Hurley just now makes it sound like he could be gone. Talked about how his current job consumes his whole life. He said almost no social life or family life. Also, the NIL thing is bearing on him. Article said the NIL thing will just get worse at a place like UConn. All that hype he gave McNeely about winning a third championship and now he may be gone. McNeely should have chosen the sure thing playing here in this offense and in front of the best fans in the world. Wouldn't have had to worry about his coach leaving.
If he has no social life now, playing a 82 game schedule, plus dealing with huge ego millionaires will not be any easier. This is the Los Angeles Lakers, not the Washington Wizards. He will be expected to produce results, and not 5 years from now. 82 games, the NBA draft, free agency, and other daily NBA team functions will consume more time than a college schedule and recruiting. But the NIL thing and constant roster overhaul is what will drive a lot of coaches out. In the NBA you at least know how long you have different players for, but egos will be something to deal with.

If he has no social life now, playing a 82 game schedule, plus dealing with huge ego millionaires will not be any easier. This is the Los Angeles Lakers, not the Washington Wizards. He will be expected to produce results, and not 5 years from now. 82 games, the NBA draft, free agency, and other daily NBA team functions will consume more time than a college schedule and recruiting. But the NIL thing and constant roster overhaul is what will drive a lot of coaches out.
Yeah but he doesn't have to worry about NIL, the front office deals with all of that stuff regarding contracts. He just has to coach and living in LA has its perks. No more 6 foot snows. Miserable winters.

Yeah but he doesn't have to worry about NIL, the front office deals with all of that stuff regarding contracts. He just has to coach and living in LA has its perks. No more 6 foot snows. Miserable winters.
I’d imagine it’s exhausting recruiting players, even more so having to basically re-recruit your current players after the season due to portal/nil. Just look at some of the top coaches who have called it quits in this new era. He got back to back ncaa titles, might want to try and move up. Seems like a dude wired for it.

If he has no social life now, playing a 82 game schedule, plus dealing with huge ego millionaires will not be any easier. This is the Los Angeles Lakers, not the Washington Wizards. He will be expected to produce results, and not 5 years from now. 82 games, the NBA draft, free agency, and other daily NBA team functions will consume more time than a college schedule and recruiting. But the NIL thing and constant roster overhaul is what will drive a lot of coaches out. In the NBA you at least know how long you have different players for, but egos will be something to deal with.
I’m not sure this is true based on the comments I’ve read from other coaches like Donovan and Stevens who jumped from college to the NBA. That’s not to say that the NBA is a zero commitment job or anything, but I’ve noticed a pretty consistent theme that you just get to be a basketball coach for those 82 games and however long a potential playoff run lasts. No 365 day a year recruiting, no needing to glad-hand boosters, etc. Most guys who can stick after making that jump seem to much prefer the pro coaching lifestyle.

Seems like the roster turnover situation will have to be addressed in the next few years. Don't think it's sustainable. Or maybe there will always be some coaches willing to put up with it for a chance to advance their careers.

He's a Northeast guy. if this was the Knicks or the Nets, I could see him jumping. I don't see him dragging his family cross country. We could have made him a massive offer too but he said "nah, I'm good"
I’ve heard the Knicks are his dream, who knows being the z Lakers coach if he’s decent he could get that job next.

I’m not sure this is true based on the comments I’ve read from other coaches like Donovan and Stevens who jumped from college to the NBA. That’s not to say that the NBA is a zero commitment job or anything, but I’ve noticed a pretty consistent theme that you just get to be a basketball coach for those 82 games and however long a potential playoff run lasts. No 365 day a year recruiting, no needing to glad-hand boosters, etc. Most guys who can stick after making that jump seem to much prefer the pro coaching lifestyle.
Yeah, he sounded like there was no relief for him all year. I can see having a more stable roster, not having to recruit all the time and not having to deal with the rich supporters of the program for money would be things he could get off his table. Think he has commented before about hating the NIL deal. Could easily see him getting more quality time off in LA.

Would explain why he turned down UK. He probably doesn't want to deal with NIL at all. I'd say dude is checked out.
Removing Hurley from the college game would like removing the only remaining apex predator from the wilderness. He's the only true threat to Kentucky.

This would be a beautiful turn of events.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Hurley's a great coach but I think he's a horrible fit for the NBA in any job. He's too intense and over the grind of a season that begins in Sept and ends in May/June if you are lucky---he'd wear his ass out and team would check out on him by January. That team being the Lakers with an old Lebron and aging AD....nothing else exciting...not investing my time in that circus.

If he wants a better NBA job he can get it next offseason---but this one....I'd run away from. Brand is attractive, the material and setup is NOT. This isn't the Dr. Buss Lakers...this is Jeanie's lone thing to stay a celebrity in LA and she listens to her husband (Jay Mohr the Actor/Comedian), Kurt and Linda Rambis--(Jeanie's been friends with Linda since Jerry Buss bought the team) and they are paying Coach K to help them get a new Coach.

K only does something if he knows it'll help Duke in the end.

Why did they cool on JJ??? Seemed to be the running media take for wks then Hurley this out of nowhere lol. His style doesn’t seem to be the nba type but he might chill out with 82 games plus the fact lebron is going to do what he wants and impact every decision, but it is LA & it’s weather……but the taxes though…..ouch.

Always thought Hurleys next logical step would be the pros. Just seemed like that kind of dude. No different than a young Cal or Pitino. Would be surprised if he didnt take it - it’s a long term deal to coach the lakers, that’s about a good an offer you’re going to get as a coach. Saban did it with the Dolphins. If it doesn’t work out just come back to college with more knowledge. Not really much to lose.

Professional sports chew up coaches and spit them out. That said, professional is really the pinnacle for coaches regardless of the level of the college gig.

Bolavip US just reported that the Lakers have already been interviewing a lot of people for the job but Hurley has always been at the forefront. Had a statement from James that he 'loves his new coach and his sophisticated offense.' Talked like they are just putting the finishing touches on the deal.

Always thought Hurleys next logical step would be the pros. Just seemed like that kind of dude. No different than a young Cal or Pitino. Would be surprised if he didnt take it - it’s a long term deal to coach the lakers, that’s about a good an offer you’re going to get as a coach. Saban did it with the Dolphins. If it doesn’t work out just come back to college with more knowledge. Not really much to lose.
Hurley never made it a secret that coaching in the NBA was the ultimate goal it's even written into his contract with the difference in buyout. Egos Like Cal, Pitino, Hurley can't help themselves.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Perhaps Lakers offer him an 7-10 year deal... would be hard to turn that down I'd imagine.

The FO really needs to start thinking about the future of the team. Lebron and AD as a Duo is pretty much done but not sure ownership cares about winning another chip or just riding out the Lebron money machine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT