ADVERTISEMENT

How will we matchup with UCLA?

GOING FOR #9

All-American
Jan 27, 2003
I assume briscoe is going to guard Ball???? What about leaf and Welsh. How are we gonna deal with these two? Leaf 6'10" welsh 7'.

Not sure how OP is not too embarrassed to post. OP you've been bad to UK with a whole lot of your posts.

Reactions: NCukcat62
Stop Ball, or at least limit him and slow him down and UCLA isn't such a hard win. Now, obviously easier said than done, but they did only lose 1 time less than we did so that's completely possible. I think we will throw multiple looks at him during the game to prevent him from getting comfortable. Alford is the other player you really need to stop. He's very dependent on Ball setting him up for his shots and struggles creating his own looks. Shut both of them down and we win easily. Leaf and Welch are probably going to get there's. We can't risk being too aggressive with them because of foul trouble in our front court. Hopefully we can slow them down and limit them to less than we gave them in December. UCLA likes to play up tempo and run, much like we did early on. I know it's tempting for us to do that, but I honestly feel our chances may be better slowing the game down for a lot of possessions and making UCLA guard us in the half court. We are much better in executing that part of our game since the first meeting, UCLA struggles defensively and it helps limit their possessions.

"They are a bad matchup for us. They have depth, experience, size, length, athleticism and shooters"

Oh, I'm sorry. That's what YOU said about Wichita State a few days ago, OP. Right? I pulled that quote right out of a thread under your name.

Now, it's UCLA. I guess you just dust off the same pants-pissing defeatism every game, and change a couple details.

They were a bad matchup for us. It could have easily gone the other way. What did I say wrong???? You just can't handle it unless it's blue tinted view point.

UCLA is a different type of matchup. They don't have the depth they don't have the experience that Wichita did. It is a younger team than ours. They aren't near as physical. But they do have 3 skilled players who we are going to be difficult to matchup up with.

Fox will be on Lonzo
Monk will be on Hamilton
Briscoe/Hawkins will be on Alford/Holiday
Willis will be on Leaf
Adebayo will be on Welsh/Anigbogu

Honestly, whoever bests the Fox/Lonzo match-up sets the tone for everyone else. Alford will take his shots, but you can't let Hamilton and Holiday consistently beat you like they did at Rupp.
Leaf and Welsh played out of their minds, and I could see them trying to get Bam in foul trouble.

Reactions: GOING FOR #9
Not sure how OP is not too embarrassed to post. OP you've been bad to UK with a whole lot of your posts.

Embarrassed??? Hardly. I'm sure you're right all the time?? Right?? Some folks make mistakes I acknowledged it and moved on. As for the second part of your statement that I'm "bad to UK". I have to laugh bc you don't know me or the fact that I have several friends who are former cats, I get tickets every year behind the bench, and have a very long history with our program that you would be envious of.

Listen, you can take what someone says on emotion and pin it to them, attack them, etc it's not going to make you a better person or a better fan.

Fox will be on Lonzo
Monk will be on Hamilton
Briscoe/Hawkins will be on Alford/Holiday
Willis will be on Leaf
Adebayo will be on Welsh/Anigbogu

Honestly, whoever bests the Fox/Lonzo match-up sets the tone for everyone else. Alford will take his shots, but you can't let Hamilton and Holiday consistently beat you like they did at Rupp.
Leaf and Welsh played out of their minds, and I could see them trying to get Bam in foul trouble.

Good post. If fox guards Lonzo that changes the dynamic IMO. Fox is long and fast enough to give him fits and this frees up briscoe to shut down Hamilton. I think we will have our way offensively but this game from a defensive standpoint is where it will be won or lost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT