ADVERTISEMENT

Oakland coach Greg Kampe on local radio

No team or coach is going to openly say they are getting their ass kicked in a game...lol...what is wrong with some of you?

To be fair what did you expect him to say? He has to make his guys think they have a chance to win otherwise without hope they are like lambs being lead to the slaughter.
But he's not talking to his guys. He's talking to the media. Either the kids spend much time reading what the media says about them, or they were all huddled up under the table saying "did you hear what coach just said?"

• Haha
Reactions: crawfords corner
Meanwhile our winning and prepared coach is asking the media "what's the worst that could happen to me?".

Reactions: Mike-D
Based on the comments in the original post, the coach is basing the "good matchup" evaluation only on UK not having a strong back to the basket center. Anyone should know there's much more to UK than that. Kentucky is going to score on them, and likely will score 90+ on them. So, having a back to the basket center is not really very important. As I say, if we play with energy and aggressiveness, we win going away.
Agreed, and we've done pretty well against some top teams this year without ever having that back to the basket, aside from the early days of Tre's short game.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Sounds like a pretty crappy matchup, eh @Jeff2Reed??

Maybe that Oakland coach is not that good of a coach if he can’t see all his own flaws and somehow thinks they matchup well with us.
What does that have to do with it? Not that I think it’s a big deal either way, but I’m not used to seeing coaches flat out basically say the got an easy matchup lol. You’re mistaken.

Acting scared is one thing I agree shouldn’t do that. But what he said is not usually said. Not that far. Hell most coaches talk the opponent up man.

DJ Wagner hasn't played 30 minutes in a game since January, and that was a game that Dillingham missed (@ Arkansas)

Tre Mitchell hasn't played 25 minutes in a game since January either.
Wagner just played 29 minutes in our latest game. He played 13 the game before that.

Trey played 21 minutes against A&M, after playing only 7 minutes against TENN.

Seems to me Cal is counting on these guys in the post season, no? And that’s my point (which I think you understand). Relying on these two players will get us bounced early.

Reactions: NociHTTP
It's pretty amazing that you've let Oakland become the boogeyman.

It's Oakland, not even the real Oakland. Don't be scared homie
Where did you get that from what I posted?

I'm not making Oakland the boogeyman. I'm making the case that no one fears us anymore, not even 15 seeds or 14 seeds. That's a problem.

It's pretty amazing when coaches from Oakland and Kansas State openly look forward to playing your program.

The fear and reverence for Kentucky basketball is gone from opponents. In Cal's pursuit to dedicate his ultimate process to the NBA development of fringe pros (Boston, Edwards, Wagner, Livingston, Bradshaw, Ty Ty, etc.), he has forsaken making Kentucky truly great.
Still a little Nancy after all these years. A #1 seed got beat last year, not many teams strike fear in any opponent these days. Did you say reverence? You mad cause Oakland isn't worshipping our UK team? GTFO

Where did you get that from what I posted?

I'm not making Oakland the boogeyman. I'm making the case that no one fears us anymore, not even 15 seeds or 14 seeds. That's a problem.
Don’t be naive man. Oakland is flashing that fake confidence.

We should win this one with relative ease. I personally don't take offense to a coach pointing out an obvious weakness on our team. I doubt he has the talent or depth to exploit it. Others unfortunately do. We have 3 guards ,we will go as far as they can take us.

Still a little Nancy after all these years. A #1 seed got beat last year, not many teams strike fear in any opponent these days. Did you say reverence? You mad cause Oakland isn't worshipping our UK team? GTFO
Who are you again? I don't even remember you, but thanks for keeping tabs on me.

Who cares? All of you were creaming over how easy the draw was..then the 14 seeds coach says "I think we got a shot" and 4 pages of panic and absurdity ensue? Go to bed and breathe lol

• Haha
It's pretty amazing when coaches from Oakland and Kansas State openly look forward to playing your program.

The fear and reverence for Kentucky basketball is gone from opponents. In Cal's pursuit to dedicate his ultimate process to the NBA development of fringe pros (Boston, Edwards, Wagner, Livingston, Bradshaw, Ty Ty, etc.), he has forsaken making Kentucky truly great.
True enough, and the Oakland coach is right. Three seven footers, and two rugged players in Mitchell and Thiero, and not one of them is a trained, inside, back-to-the-basket scoring threat. I have wondered on more than one occasion why that is allowed to happen. Offensive sets? Mind set? Personnel abilities? Whatever it is, scoring inside is not currently a tool in the box, and is one more limiting factor to this team. I would have chosen Thiero as my "go to" post up player and teach him an array of moves. He's so powerful yet does still lack some crafty inside the paint offensive moves that could make him a 15-points a game scorer...maybe next year.

I watched them against Dayton and Michigan State and Oakland gives up alot of 3's. Michigan State went 10/21 for 48% and Dayton went 18/34 for 53% and beat them bad that night. I know we have heard from Cal talk about Oakland and there Zone defense and about the Lineup he will have to choose that night. Purdue Fort Wayne shot 17/26 from 3 for 65% and shot 67% FG overall that night. Oakland gives up nearly 10 threes a night this year so it will be interesting to see who Cal will start Thursday night. Will he go with the shooters Reeves, Shep, and Dilly with Z and Mitchell or Thiero at 4. I would think you would want to play them with Reeves shooting 44%, Dilly 45%, and Sheppard hitting 52% from 3. If Mitchell is playing better he can knock the 3 as well as Z. Also, Edwards has been shooting better from 3 hitting 37% from three. We heard Cal discuss the Zone that Oakland plays and Cal mentioned about who he would play or might start because of how Oakland plays on defense.

But he's not talking to his guys. He's talking to the media. Either the kids spend much time reading what the media says about them, or they were all huddled up under the table saying "did you hear what coach just said?"
Have you ever heard a coach in a press conference, while talking to the media, talk about they have no chance?

I live right down the road from Oakland.

A couple things their coach said about the matchup this morning.

“This was just about the best matchup we could hope for”

“They can’t score down low. When a mid manor goes up against someone like Kentucky that’s usually how they would win. But they don’t have the down low scoring so I really think we have a shot”

Can’t link it at the moment, but it was on 97.1 the ticket. You can go back and listen to it, 7:35 AM was the interview.

A couple other interesting quotes in there too.
Will our idiot coach figure out a game plan to show that coach he is wrong? I doubt it. Requires thinking and strategy, something CCC has never done or had.

Not really but you 6 year olds really ought to check with your parents before you do.
My guess of you being a spoiled 10 yr old throwing a fit is about right. I'll avatar bet you that we win this game easily and Cal will have this team ready to go. I'm guessing you won't take this bet.

It’s very odd to see the “positive” UK fans on here spew the most venom. I posted some things the Oakland coach said and people get PISSED.

Again, I think we are going to the sweet 16 at the very least. Just because someone passes along info, doesn’t always mean there’s some hidden agenda there.

Coach Kampe is an excellent coach and it was odd to hear him say things that aren’t your normal run of the mill responses.

Hopefully, we control the game from the start and the game is never in question. There just haven’t been many of those games in recent years.

One sure way to shut them up is for the team that beat Auburn and Tennessee on the road to show up and bring a beat down with them. Let it rip and run them off the floor.

If the team sleepwalks and doesn't show up, Oakland is the type of team that can hang around and send us home.

These guys were losing to 1-30 Detroit Mercy at the half 5 games ago. And that team is coached by Mike Davis. So how good can Oakland be?

Some of you never cease to amaze me. Crazy overconfidence even though you’ve watched this team with your own eyes and you know who the coach is.

Baffling how a Kentucky fan could be confident about winning against ANY team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT